Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Arizona Cardinals Draft Talk Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighMotorGuy wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
While I don't personally like it, with the system Horton runs or at least wants to run it's clearly the OLB.

Really? We're something like 24th against the run while top 5 against the pass. You think more pressure is the answer.

And something else to think about, teams tend to run on us more because we rarely EVER have a lead to make them pass. That could be affecting our rush more than people think.

We'd do better to use the top 10 pick on a pass rusher and spend the money we used on Stewart Bradley for a more competent LB in FA.

Bolded: That's not what I'd recommend. Ugly FA class this year.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
While I don't personally like it, with the system Horton runs or at least wants to run it's clearly the OLB.

Really? We're something like 24th against the run while top 5 against the pass. You think more pressure is the answer.

And something else to think about, teams tend to run on us more because we rarely EVER have a lead to make them pass. That could be affecting our rush more than people think.

We'd do better to use the top 10 pick on a pass rusher and spend the money we used on Stewart Bradley for a more competent LB in FA.

It's time Daryl learned to call this defense so we can ditch Lenon. Go with a rotation of say Reggie Walker (who had a nice preseason and is pretty solid against the run) and say a 3rd or 4th rounder.

That would allow us to go QB/OL in first and or second and OLB in 3rd.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

It's time Daryl learned to call this defense so we can ditch Lenon. Go with a rotation of say Reggie Walker (who had a nice preseason and is pretty solid against the run) and say a 3rd or 4th rounder.

That would allow us to go QB/OL in first and or second and OLB in 3rd.

Probably not going to happen. LeBeau never did it with Timmons in Pittsburgh, I doubt Horton does it with D-Wash. In theory, it makes sense not to.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see Larry Foote being brought in. Isn't he a FA? He spurned us last time but Ray wasn't here.

Only 32.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
I could see Larry Foote being brought in. Isn't he a FA? He spurned us last time but Ray wasn't here.

Only 32.

That's actually not true, we spurned him. I could see us having interest, at the right price.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

Only 32.

That's actually not true, we spurned him. I could see us having interest, at the right price.

Didn't he chose to be a rotational player over being a starter with us? I thought he signed in Pittsburgh before we signed Lenon?

Could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

Only 32.

Didn't he chose to be a rotational player over being a starter with us? I thought he signed in Pittsburgh before we signed Lenon?

Could be wrong.

They actually both signed with their teams on the same day, March 15. We didn't sign Foote because Billy Davis viewed him as too much like Gerald Hayes and we wanted the traditional compliment to Hayes the SILB, which Lenon was a better fit for. A correct assumption but Hayes' back went to hell and shot this all down.

It's funny but people forget that we didn't sign Lenon to be our starting SILB. He was signed as a short term stop gap at WILB for a rookie (In this case, D-Wash). Hayes injury and Horton's liking of Paris changed everything.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

Only 32.

Could be wrong.

They actually both signed with their teams on the same day, March 15. We didn't sign Foote because Billy Davis viewed him as too much like Gerald Hayes and we wanted the traditional compliment to Hayes the SILB, which Lenon was a better fit for. A correct assumption but Hayes' back went to hell and shot this all down.

It's funny but people forget that we didn't sign Lenon to be our starting SILB. He was signed as a short term stop gap at WILB for a rookie (In this case, D-Wash). Hayes injury and Horton's liking of Paris changed everything.

Good call Champ. Great memory. I remember the uproar when we signed him after Karlos left, and what a downgrade most of us thought it was. He was on the 0-16 Detroit team followed by the 2-14 St. Louis team before he signed with us. He was suppose to be a rotational, 3rd teamer really going into the past 2-3 seasons but hasn't let that job go.

He'll make an occasional play, but he has become so, so poor in the run game that an upgrade is needed. Even if that upgrade is a 32 year old Larry Foote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

You said earlier that QB & OL are our biggest concerns...I would assume you would address these then at some point, yes? That being the case, we likely would start moving the ball better and as a result score more points. That would in turn start pressuring opposing offenses to try to pass more! Suddenly, improving the OLB position takes on even more significance and thus makes sense.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that needs to be known about our offense right now with regards a new (rookie) quarterback is that our offense is one of the most complicated in the NFL in the passing game with the multitude of option routes and "if" routes that force the QB and the WR to be on the same page to complete a pass.

If Ken somehow manages to survive (Would probably need to clean house completely on the offensive side of the ball, or at least redistribute some coaches) we are going to be no better off than we are now with any rookie QB or indeed any free agent QB stepping into this offense.

This might all be completely moot if Ken leaves, but is something that needs to be noted if Haley is up for the job, because his offense is similar.

It is why Kevin took such a leap in year two. It is why every young QB that has ever stepped in has struggled. It is why we often slow play our receivers.

When Ken's offense is clicking it is incredibly efficient and moves the ball with precision. But you cannot be starting a rookie at QB and have that.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
One thing that needs to be known about our offense right now with regards a new (rookie) quarterback is that our offense is one of the most complicated in the NFL in the passing game with the multitude of option routes and "if" routes that force the QB and the WR to be on the same page to complete a pass.

If Ken somehow manages to survive (Would probably need to clean house completely on the offensive side of the ball, or at least redistribute some coaches) we are going to be no better off than we are now with any rookie QB or indeed any free agent QB stepping into this offense.

This might all be completely moot if Ken leaves, but is something that needs to be noted if Haley is up for the job, because his offense is similar.

It is why Kevin took such a leap in year two. It is why every young QB that has ever stepped in has struggled. It is why we often slow play our receivers.

When Ken's offense is clicking it is incredibly efficient and moves the ball with precision. But you cannot be starting a rookie at QB and have that.

Are you talking about Haley coming back to Arizona as the HC/OC? You think Horton will stick around if he is bypassed for the HC position? I think this is the year he gets a HC job either in AZ or elsewhere. Just my opinion.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Haley could live with being OC/Asst HC with Horton as HC.

KC situation burned him a little bit.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ has stated numerous times that Haley loves AZ and wants to live here with his family. If we want him as HC we don't even have to ask him. He'll be on the first flight West. I'm in favor of that happening because he's the opposite of Whiz' personality. He can also call his own plays as a head coach.

Haley had some good drafts in KC, especially 2010...

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
MJ has stated numerous times that Haley loves AZ and wants to live here with his family. If we want him as HC we don't even have to ask him. He'll be on the first flight West. I'm in favor of that happening because he's the opposite of Whiz' personality. He can also call his own plays as a head coach.

No think you to Haley as HC. He more of a control freak then Whiz is.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

No think you to Haley as HC. He more of a control freak then Whiz is.

Every coach is a control freak. I'm talking about personality and showing emotion. Taking jabs at the media and refusing to shake other coaches hands after games. Whiz would never do that.

The Rebuild Has Begun...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 87 of 100

Jump to: