Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who should be the Chiefs next coach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valkrei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcstomp63 wrote:
I am on my phone, so I can't link it, but ESPN just posted a story that the NFL voided the contract extension of Sean Payton and the Saints, which means he will be the most sought after Head Coach at the end of this season.

My guess would be that he will still sign another extension with NO, and Schefter even says something about maybe going to Dallas.

If it was possible, what are your thoughts on Payton as the coach?

Does Drew come with him?

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:
Just ask another question: which somewhat SUCCESSFUL coach would risk his reputation to head coach a franchise operated by Pioli?

I'd do - under conditions definitely unacceptable to Mr. P. (read: pack your stuff and get out of town)

I think it's going to be a foregone certainty very soon that Pioli will be gone. No way do we continue to humiliate ourselves like this without him HAVING to go.

You are right though, if we don't fire him, our chances of getting anyone to come coach here are very small. I used to laugh at how the Raiders under Davis had to always go for a coach that was not very desirable (at least the last 10yrs or so after Gruden left). We are now that team, with the only difference being we can fire Pioli.

This is really an on target comment. It's the most important factor I hope Clark Hunt is looking at. Similar to how Cassel has held back playbooks, Poili now is holding back the organization by his mere presence turning talented folks away from us. Sad - but very true as we saw with both Fisher and Manning.

kylecumberland wrote:
How about Mike McCoy from Denver. I want a cerebral NFL head coach. The last head coach we have had who I actually thought was a bright guy was - Vermeil. Both Haley and Romeo when you hear them talk you can tell neither one of them is that bright of a guy. Herm wasn't dumb by any means, but he wasn't the brightest guy either. I want a head coach who is very bright, and good with the X AND O'S. McCoy seems like an up and coming coach who is a good offensive mind, bright guy, seems like a good leader, but very cerebral and poised unlike Haley.

Haley is still pretty cerebral! They played Washington last week. Washington does a lot of 'Pistol' formation. One week later the Steelers are running a few plays here and there with Ben in the 'Pistol"! Pretty awesome if you ask me. Haley cannot lead constructively and that's his downfall as a head coach. In order to get what he wants from his players he tears at them - making each relationship of coach to player or coach to other coaches always taking damage till eventually it breaks. He's perfect at OC cause he can spend more time with less people andforge tighter and better working relationships - if that makes sense - hard to write it out.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Fassel would be an interesting hire for you guys. I think that he could be a very good coach, and is an under the radar name who will eventually get another chance.

I have a suspicion that KC may go the Denver route and take a coach reminiscent of John Fox....someone who is respected and can bring the team back to a high level but isn't a super flashy name.

Thanks, Tzimisce
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Jim Fassel would be an interesting hire for you guys. I think that he could be a very good coach, and is an under the radar name who will eventually get another chance.

I have a suspicion that KC may go the Denver route and take a coach reminiscent of John Fox....someone who is respected and can bring the team back to a high level but isn't a super flashy name.

I wonder what the deal is with Fassel and why he hasn't atleast been in more discussions when it comes to potential head coaching candidates around the NFL.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
diamondcutter27

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another name I'd like to see us take a look at..Vic Fangio the DC from San Fransisco

for the first time since 2003 Royals baseball is enjoyable

Thanks for ryknowsd for the awesome sig
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to toss this out there, because I haven't seen anyone talking about it. Marty was in town, at 1 Arrowhead...now obviously this could all be coincidence, but, what if. The guys on the news brought up a good point. Marty could be brought in as a consultant, which would put him about Scotty P's jurisdiction. They talked about him as a consultant to make the "right" head coaching move, but I could see it as more. Consult now, until the end of the season, then maybe he is in the GM realm, or maybe he's just a consultant on who to hire.

It's an interesting concept, and strengthens the Cowher ties slightly. Which yes I know is grasping at straws.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I'm going to toss this out there, because I haven't seen anyone talking about it. Marty was in town, at 1 Arrowhead...now obviously this could all be coincidence, but, what if. The guys on the news brought up a good point. Marty could be brought in as a consultant, which would put him about Scotty P's jurisdiction. They talked about him as a consultant to make the "right" head coaching move, but I could see it as more. Consult now, until the end of the season, then maybe he is in the GM realm, or maybe he's just a consultant on who to hire.

It's an interesting concept, and strengthens the Cowher ties slightly. Which yes I know is grasping at straws.

Gretz pretty much recommended the first part of this a few weeks ago. Bring in a couple different guys as consultants to evaluate the situation and tell him what they would do. Marty was one mentioned, but also Holmgren, Cowher, Gruden, etc. I'd love to actually se Clark get some outsiders opinions on stuff.

Oh, and on Gruden - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000091897/article/jon-gruden-planning-a-return-to-coaching

Basically Gruden is calling guys asking if they might be interested in being assistant's should he return. The thing we should take note of is -

Quote:
The report suggests Gruden is only looking for a "perfect opportunity" for a large-market team or he'd be happy to stay at ESPN.

Dallas, NYJets, and Philly were mentioned as likely landing spots.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

Gretz pretty much recommended the first part of this a few weeks ago. Bring in a couple different guys as consultants to evaluate the situation and tell him what they would do. Marty was one mentioned, but also Holmgren, Cowher, Gruden, etc. I'd love to actually se Clark get some outsiders opinions on stuff.

Oh, and on Gruden - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000091897/article/jon-gruden-planning-a-return-to-coaching

Basically Gruden is calling guys asking if they might be interested in being assistant's should he return. The thing we should take note of is -

Quote:
The report suggests Gruden is only looking for a "perfect opportunity" for a large-market team or he'd be happy to stay at ESPN.

Dallas, NYJets, and Philly were mentioned as likely landing spots.

Good, Gruden can go to Philly.

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Yeah, kind of how I felt. Although if I really thought we were that close, I'd be all about it, to see if he could springboard another team to a SB like he did in Tampa. While I think we're better then our record with a better QB, we're not SB caliber.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
^Yeah, kind of how I felt. Although if I really thought we were that close, I'd be all about it, to see if he could springboard another team to a SB like he did in Tampa. While I think we're better then our record with a better QB, we're not SB caliber.

Exactly. Either way, there isn't even a mid-level candidate that I could see wanting to come onboard with our current front office let alone any established or in-demand candidate. IMO if we thought the Haley-Pioli era was tumultuous, the Gruden-Pioli era would be nuclear.

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

Exactly. Either way, there isn't even a mid-level candidate that I could see wanting to come onboard with our current front office let alone any established or in-demand candidate. IMO if we thought the Haley-Pioli era was tumultuous, the Gruden-Pioli era would be nuclear.

Well I've just convinced myself that Pioli is gone no matter what at this point.

Some people say that if he's not, they're done with this team, and for me I'm not sure it even matters anymore. I'll always be a fan, but the past 7yrs or so have just changed how much enjoyment I can get out of football at this point. Even though I went to A&M, I've always been a bigger Chiefs fan than A&M football fan. I love A&M football, but I could miss one of their games, but never a Chiefs game. At this point its almost more out of habit then anything else. Maybe a new regime could change that, but honestly I don't think so. I simply just don't care nearly as much as I did even a few months ago. Jaded I suppose is a good word to describe my feelings.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Mikek163

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

Well I've just convinced myself that Pioli is gone no matter what at this point.

Some people say that if he's not, they're done with this team, and for me I'm not sure it even matters anymore. I'll always be a fan, but the past 7yrs or so have just changed how much enjoyment I can get out of football at this point. Even though I went to A&M, I've always been a bigger Chiefs fan than A&M football fan. I love A&M football, but I could miss one of their games, but never a Chiefs game. At this point its almost more out of habit then anything else. Maybe a new regime could change that, but honestly I don't think so. I simply just don't care nearly as much as I did even a few months ago. Jaded I suppose is a good word to describe my feelings.

You're not alone man. I feel the exact same way you do. I am so sick and tired of being the zinger of all football jokes with my friends year in and year out. I will watch every game no doubt but I just dont care anymore. The whole "next year" thing is becoming too redundant around here as well.

Today for example I watched the Patriots play and I said to myself "it must be nice."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly starting to like the idea of Chip Kelly as a coaching candidate.

But I refuse to hope.

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumless wrote:

But I refuse to hope.

Yeah, why on earth would he want to come here? Even with Pioli gone, why pick us over say Philly, Dallas, or San Diego? Heck, would he pick us over Cleveland or Carolina?

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Rumless wrote:

But I refuse to hope.

Yeah, why on earth would he want to come here? Even with Pioli gone, why pick us over say Philly, Dallas, or San Diego? Heck, would he pick us over Cleveland or Carolina?

A new front office including a new GM could be a real wildcard. It all depends on who is brought in. If it is a well respected, innovative, and personable GM that really connects with a coach like Kelly then I could see him atleast talking to us. If Pioli does stay and Crennel is offered up as the sacrificial lamb I can honestly see us getting Eric Mangini as head coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: