Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should this be Woodson's last year in Green Bay
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should this be Woodson's last season in Green Bay?
Yes
77%
 77%  [ 28 ]
No
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 36

pollino14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Should this be Woodson's last year in Green Bay Reply with quote

Let me start by saying, I have a ton of respect for Woodson. The guy is a pros pro. But lets cut to the obvious...

1. He can't cover anyone anymore. Woodson gets beat like he stole something multiple times a game. He simply cannot keep up with the younger cats anymore. He's a very big liability out there.

2. He s good for at least 2 PI calls a game. Every game... Because he can't cover anyone, he always grabs an arm or something, and the refs always calls it, and it's the most frusterating thing ever.

3. He's an ineffective blitzer, not a major thing but these announcers keep praising him for it, but I really don't see it.

Woodson was great in his prime, but this is a young man's sport, and father time catches up with all of us. Williams/Shields/Heyward/House would be more than sufficent next year. Heck, we prob will be looking for a corner again early in the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. One of my favorite players ever. But this has been a trend for a while and honestly I don't know how it changes.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad to see for sure. He should only be used near the LOS from here on out. We'll be better served to have him get after the QB and RBs. I''m wondering if we'll see more of this once House returns?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. I still think he could be a good dime back and mentor type. He would need to take a significant paycut though, obviously.

El Ramster on the amazing work
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he takes a substantial paycut, I wouldn't mind bringing him back as a role player. It's becoming increasingly obvious to me that his days as a full time starter are numbered and probably should be done with now. His big play mentality was great before he slowed down, now that he has it's more of a problem then a plus. He's still going to excite us with turnovers every once in a while, but the number of penalties he rightfully warrants out there prove to me he is finished as a starter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure yet, but I'll say this:

Had Woodson hung on to any of the several chances at a pick he had, we probably aren't having this conversation. Lost in the terrible game yesterday is the fact that the coaches can only put players in the right position so many times, and our players simply didn't capitalize on it at all, Woodson and Williams especially.
Title Town USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Woody stick around after he does retire. Asst. DB coach to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
I don't think so. I still think he could be a good dime back and mentor type. He would need to take a significant paycut though, obviously.
IG read my mind.
umphrey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know, Ive been sick of the holds and DPI for some time now. I dont really like the defensive philosophy of "give up yards until the QB makes a mistake", either, which Woodson seems to represent at this point in time.
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umphrey wrote:
I dont know, Ive been sick of the holds and DPI for some time now. I dont really like the defensive philosophy of "give up yards until the QB makes a mistake", either, which Woodson seems to represent at this point in time.

I go back and forth on the aggressive style of play Woodson has. It can be very effective at disturbing and frustrating receivers. Also, it has led Woodson to a lot of big plays. However, it does come with a high probability of getting a penalty and putting the defense in a tougher situation. Overall, when it works, it works well, but when it doesn't work it can be really bad, like in the Colts game where he got a couple of big penalties. I do not think we can change Woodson's style and think that in the long run you just hope the big plays outweigh the penalties, which is not looking like it is right now. I personally feel that Woodson, if he wants to, should be back next year. I think that he can still be an effective safety that when given the opportunity to roam is/will make a lot more plays. Plus I think he can still slide over to corner and be solid, just maybe not on the slot or number one receiver anymore. Let Tramon play against the one and groom someone else for the slot, then have Woodson take the other outside receiver.
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can't play his current role.

Let's bring Joe Porter back.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He still is a good football player.
He is NOT worth his contract.

So, if he doesn't drastically cost less, yes it should be his last year.
If he's willing to take less, he still has a spot as one of our best 53.
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for him to not return next season primarily because of his salary. Frankly, he would still be solid as a dime back, as there are certain things that he brings to a defense that are irreplaceable. I rather hope that one of our coaches (likely Perry) gets offered some sort of DC job so Woodson can take that role should he choose to retire. Maybe even make a new role on the coaching staff where he trains players for the unique responsibilities in our nickel package that made him DPOY and a SB champ.

I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
He still is a good football player.
He is NOT worth his contract.

So, if he doesn't drastically cost less, yes it should be his last year.
If he's willing to take less, he still has a spot as one of our best 53.

Yup. Said this in the post game thread (I think it was there). For what he gives our team doesn't match the value of his contract. Same with some other players (Driver, Saturday, Finley). We have some old players with bad contracts that we really need to shed to give to our young guys. Woodson is #1 just because his cap hit in 2013+2014 is 10Mil. Way too much of a cap hit for what we get out of him.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at his current salary. He'll have to take a substantial paycut to remain on the team IMO. He's still solid covering the slot and TEs, but his days of jumping routes and returning INTs for TDs may be over because his speed is starting to be a liability.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: