Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My first attempt at a mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ArodFanboy


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 4579
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: My first attempt at a mock Reply with quote

Finish season 12-4, Won't comment on playoffs (but we pick #32 Wink )

Back
1.Shields
2.Walden
3.Goode
4.Crabtree
5.Jennings
6.Woodson (takes a paycut)

Not Back
1.Benson
2.Driver
3.Merling

No shiny free agents this year



NFL Draft

1st Round

Marcus Lattimore, HB, South Carolina



With Barrett Jones off the board, Ted takes the guy who improves the team the most immediately. Lattimore has everything you need to be a feature back in this league. Vision, open field speed, cut back ability, great leg drive and pass catching ability out of the backfield. This will be our back for the next decade and I see no reason why he can't be a top 10 back year in and year out. Some may say this is too late for him, but we all know how depreciated the RB position is now and other teams may fall in love with a faster back later on in the draft.

Trade our second back for a early-mid third and a 4th

3rd Round A

Mario Benavides C Louisville



An experienced starter, Benavides has started the past 3 seasons for Louisville. Saturday is almost certainly gone after this year and we need to find a competent replacement. Benavides has been extremely consistent his entire college career and has really helped young QB Terry Bridgewater with reading the blitz this year. Perfect guy to sit behind Saturday for a season (or less).

3rd Round B

Michael Buchanan OLB Illinois



Another pass rusher? Absolutely. This draft is very deep at edge rusher and a good one is bound to fall further then anyone expects. Obviously this kid needs some time to refine his technique and bulk up, but he is extremely quick off the edge and should only improve the still weakest area of our defense. He, Perry and Matthews could turn a shallow pass rush in too a very strong area.

4th Round A

Dallas Thomas OG Tennessee



The interior line as a whole is quite shallow and could use a lot of help. Thomas started at LT and has a ton of experience there, but this year moved to LG which is probably his best position in the NFL. So far this year he has been quite good both defending the run and pass. Offers us some versatility in case any of our big guys were to go down. And could start if Newhouse doesn't get better and Sherrod ends up sucking.

4th Round B

Kwame Geathers NT Georgia



An absolute mammoth of a man at 6'6" 350 lbs. Often overlooked at Georgia because he plays next to a great DT prospect in Jon Jenkins but Geathers fits the role of a 3-4 NT very well too. Raji has looked better then last year, but still could use some snaps off. Geathers could be gradually worked in and could be a monster run defender for us if he works out.



5th Round

Brandon Ford TE Clemson



A first year starter after the departure of Dwayne Allen, Brandon Ford has come in and shown the ability to get open pretty consistently so far. Finley's last real chance as a Packer will be next season. If he continues to underwhelm, finding a good pass catcher at the position becomes a need. Ford has alot of room to grow and has shown promise in the little time he's been given.

6th Round

Alex Carder QB Western Michigan



New prospect for McCarthy, promote Coleman to #2, get Harrell off the roster ideally.

7th Round

Braden Wilson FB Kansas State



I really don't like John Kuhn. So I'm going to use this pick to bring someone into compete with him.


Comments would be greatly appreciated.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNPackfan32


Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 8077
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be that guy, but... I don't see Buchanan falling to the mid/late 3rd unless there are some major character concerns, in which case TT would most likely stay away. Pass rushers are like QB's they tend to go higher than what most big boards say, too much of a premium on good DL.
_________________



Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I Am Rodgers


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 7210
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
I hate to be that guy, but... I don't see Buchanan falling to the mid/late 3rd unless there are some major character concerns, in which case TT would most likely stay away. Pass rushers are like QB's they tend to go higher than what most big boards say, too much of a premium on good DL.


It's october. Stocks are way too fluid right now to say anything with certainty. Plus there are a lot of edge rushers in this draft. Now if he flipped his 3rd round picks, it makes a little more sense. I could easily see Buchanan at the top of the third. There are a lot of pass rushers ahead of and equal to him.

Mingo
JJones
Montgomery
Okafor
Jeffcoat
Werner
Lemonier
Gholston
Hunt
Simon
Carradine
Jordan

Lots of players better than, equal to, and slightly below Buchanan, that nothing can be spoken in definites at this point.
_________________


stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNPackfan32


Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 8077
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
I hate to be that guy, but... I don't see Buchanan falling to the mid/late 3rd unless there are some major character concerns, in which case TT would most likely stay away. Pass rushers are like QB's they tend to go higher than what most big boards say, too much of a premium on good DL.


It's october. Stocks are way too fluid right now to say anything with certainty. Plus there are a lot of edge rushers in this draft. Now if he flipped his 3rd round picks, it makes a little more sense. I could easily see Buchanan at the top of the third. There are a lot of pass rushers ahead of and equal to him.

Mingo
JJones
Montgomery
Okafor
Jeffcoat
Werner
Lemonier
Gholston
Hunt
Simon
Carradine
Jordan

Lots of players better than, equal to, and slightly below Buchanan, that nothing can be spoken in definites at this point.
Yeah and not all of these guys will declare and IMO he is better than most of these guys. He is regarded as a better prospect than Mercilus, Buchanan is going to run well and somebody will fall in love with that length and potential.
_________________



Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10506
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely hate 1st round RB. I'm not a huge fan of Lattimore in GB specifically either. He is the type of power RB who needs to be fed a ton of carries to be effective and that's just not going to happen here. On top of that I don't think he adds anything at all in the passing game, blocking or catching. I see it similar to the Saints drafting Mark Ingram. Find a Darren Sproles instead.

I also think WR needs to be addressed somewhere. Jones contact is up soon, and you have Driver leaving, plus who knows what Jordy's next contract will put his price at, so I could see a very possible problem of not being able to keep this group together.

I'd like to see a DB added, otherwise it's OK. Definitely not something I'd hope to see on draft day, but not something that would have me on the Leo Frigo bridge either.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IrishGreen


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 36724
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's the 7th round, but I don't like drafting a fullback for our offense, period.

Unless he's amazing on teams and adds versatility to the O, I just don't like it.

UDFAs? Sure.
_________________

El Ramster on the amazing work
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArodFanboy


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 4579
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough crowd. Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lattimore Very Happy
Don't know about Benavides but I like the position
Heard a lot of good things about Dallas Thomas this year too. Token "swing OL" for TT.
Brandon Ford is really underrated.
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
IrishGreen


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 36724
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
Tough crowd. Laughing


any feedback is good feedback! Very Happy


we wanna see you SHINE Very Happy
_________________

El Ramster on the amazing work
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
{Family Ghost}


Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1369
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to see the Packers add a high quality middle backer who can cover. I'd love to see them bring in a guy who would never have to leave the field. There's also going to be a big need there as Hawk could be cut loose, and Bishop will be returning for a fairly serious hamstring issue. Dj Smith looks like a fair starter, but it would nice to get a major upgrade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vang_evo9


Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Posts: 1097
Location: Fresno, CA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kicker would be nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 794
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
I absolutely hate 1st round RB. I'm not a huge fan of Lattimore in GB specifically either. He is the type of power RB who needs to be fed a ton of carries to be effective and that's just not going to happen here. On top of that I don't think he adds anything at all in the passing game, blocking or catching. I see it similar to the Saints drafting Mark Ingram. Find a Darren Sproles instead.

I also think WR needs to be addressed somewhere. Jones contact is up soon, and you have Driver leaving, plus who knows what Jordy's next contract will put his price at, so I could see a very possible problem of not being able to keep this group together.


I agree that a runningback is not as valuable in our offense, but I think Lattimore could be a valuable asset. As you mention he is a tough power runner that hits the whole quickly and with force. He is not the homerun speedster like Chris Johnson, but he can provide a stable running attack that can make the play action very effective and can make defensive backs look into the backfield a split second longer, giving our receivers a "jump" on the corner. As of right now, Lattimore is the only back that I would be ok with taking in the first round.
I agree that a receiver would be nice to see for the reasons you mentioned and just to keep to replenish the depth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 794
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I am ok with Lattimore and think he could help balance the offense to the point where defenses cannot sit back and wait for the pass. I do agree with some of the other people that it looks like there are a couple of people that should be a round or two higher, but also as mentioned before it is early and prospects can/will still fall/rise.

I like the idea of getting a center to groom behind Saturday and a swing player that can provide depth at both tackle and guard. I would also like to see a receiver taken somewhere in the draft, preferably in the middle rounds, to help keep our strong depth and groom behind players in a worse case scenario.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jleisher


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 645
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after next Sundays lose to the Texans, the Pack goes 12-0???????????
Lets be realistic, try a 9-7, 8-8 record for this year. Now, do a draft. I see the Pack falling back in the middle of the pack this year. Then we have another good draft and in 2013 we are on top again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArodFanboy


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 4579
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jleisher wrote:
So, after next Sundays lose to the Texans, the Pack goes 12-0???????????
Lets be realistic, try a 9-7, 8-8 record for this year. Now, do a draft. I see the Pack falling back in the middle of the pack this year. Then we have another good draft and in 2013 we are on top again.


Did you even bother looking at what time this was posted genius?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group