Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How will people remember Shaun Alexander?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine he'll be remembered as a talented back that was largely aided by perhaps the best left side in NFL history. Quite honestly, I would rather have Marshawn Lynch in his prime than Shaun Alexander. Shaun was one of the most frustrating players to watch because he showed little toughness in between the 20's and was just way too finesse in general.
Tooki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshawn pre-injuries was a far better RB than Alexander ever was. He would have put up a borderline HOF resume behind that line IMO.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
I would imagine he'll be remembered as a talented back that was largely aided by perhaps the best left side in NFL history. Quite honestly, I would rather have Marshawn Lynch in his prime than Shaun Alexander. Shaun was one of the most frustrating players to watch because he showed little toughness in between the 20's and was just way too finesse in general.

You summed it up perfectly and i agree i would rather have Lynch then Alexander.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

You summed it up perfectly and i agree i would rather have Lynch then Alexander.

man you seattle fans are complete homers in regards to your current team.

you kidding me?

lynch over alexander?
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will personally remember him as the biggest sham MVP in professional sports history.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Sacks98 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

you kidding me?

lynch over alexander?

Yea, without really thinking twice about it. Not sure why that's homerism for our current team. I'd rather have most of that offense than our current offense. I'd rather have Sean Locklear than Breno Giacomini. Rather have Chris Gray than John Moffitt. Rather have Bobby Engram and Darrell Jackson than what we have right now. Rather have Holmgren than Carroll. Rather have Hass than Wilson. So please, cut it with the homerism stuff any time someone a Seattle fan says something good about their team. We've seen both players every single run as a Seahawk and it's not a mistake that taking Lynch over Shaun is nearly a unanimous choice amongst Seattle fans. Shaun was a soft runner that rarely fought for extra yardage unless we were at the goal line. He brought great vision, but a lot of what he did was a product of a stellar offensive line. Based on talent alone, I think Marshawn would've done a lot more with that same line. Marshawn has some of the best rushing numbers in the league this season behind a pretty mediocre to below average offensive line. He led the league in yards after initial contact last season and likely is among the leaders this season. He runs with WAY more authority, never lets the first guy take him down, and actually gets better as the game goes on. Must be difficult to evaluate a player based off of skillset rather than just looking at raw numbers to boost your stance.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will remember him as a really good, though not great, RB who tends to see most of the credit he is due handed to his line instead.

CK on the sig
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Sacks98 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

you kidding me?

lynch over alexander?

Yea, without really thinking twice about it. Not sure why that's homerism for our current team. I'd rather have most of that offense than our current offense. I'd rather have Sean Locklear than Breno Giacomini. Rather have Chris Gray than John Moffitt. Rather have Bobby Engram and Darrell Jackson than what we have right now. Rather have Holmgren than Carroll. Rather have Hass than Wilson. So please, cut it with the homerism stuff any time someone a Seattle fan says something good about their team. We've seen both players every single run as a Seahawk and it's not a mistake that taking Lynch over Shaun is nearly a unanimous choice amongst Seattle fans. Shaun was a soft runner that rarely fought for extra yardage unless we were at the goal line. He brought great vision, but a lot of what he did was a product of a stellar offensive line. Based on talent alone, I think Marshawn would've done a lot more with that same line. Marshawn has some of the best rushing numbers in the league this season behind a pretty mediocre to below average offensive line. He led the league in yards after initial contact last season and likely is among the leaders this season. He runs with WAY more authority, never lets the first guy take him down, and actually gets better as the game goes on. Must be difficult to evaluate a player based off of skillset rather than just looking at raw numbers to boost your stance.

Man Marshawn Lynch must be the best 4.0 YPC runner in league history.

Outta your mind.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Sacks98 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

you kidding me?

lynch over alexander?

Outta your mind.

But yea, you're right and Seattle fans (the ones that have seen every game of both backs) are wrong. Okay Laughing
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, Lynch runs 1000x harder than Alexander ever did.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:

ANd yet, still not as good.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:

Doesn't matter, look at the numbers.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Sacks98 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

you kidding me?

lynch over alexander?

Outta your mind.

But yea, you're right and Seattle fans (the ones that have seen every game of both backs) are wrong. Okay Laughing

But yeah, you're right- you've never been wrong about the players you consistently pimp before to the extremes

In the annals of history, Marshawn Lynch will never come close to attaining the success that Shaun Alexander had- and thats not all because of one LT and one LG.

Alexander was a beast and its pretty ridiculous for anyone to say otherwise.

Just because he wasn't/isnt a HOFer doesn't mean he wasn't a great player.
Tooki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander was a good RB

Marshawn pre-injuries had the potential to be be special. Behind our line? He would be running at DB's all game long.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
But yeah, you're right- you've never been wrong about the players you consistently pimp before to the extremes

In the annals of history, Marshawn Lynch will never come close to attaining the success that Shaun Alexander had- and thats not all because of one LT and one LG.

Alexander was a beast and its pretty ridiculous for anyone to say otherwise.

Just because he wasn't/isnt a HOFer doesn't mean he wasn't a great player.

So you're saying I'm a homer for pimping a current Seahawk instead of pimping a former Seahawk great? Laughing Wow, you really must be bored or something. You're right though, Lynch likely won't achieve the numbers that Shaun put up. And it's not just the left side either. The offensive line of Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, Robbie Tobeck, Chris Gray, and Sean Locklear played 5 full, uninterrupted seasons together. Cohesion is unbelievably important in the NFL and while only the first two players will be remembered for their individual play, the entire line as a whole was very, very good. Not only that, but we had one of the best passing games in the league during that time and teams couldn't stack the box like they do now with a QB that is dead last in passing yards. Hasselbeck made teams respect the pass just as much as the run. Lynch has played with a poor Hasselbeck, a terrible Tarvaris Jackson, and a pretty bad Russell Wilson so far. Not only that, but let's not forget that the NFC West was TERRIBLE during Alexander's stint as a Seahawk whereas Lynch now plays 6 games in the division where each team is a top 15 total defense (2 of them being top 5). And just to reiterate the point, Lynch led the league in yards after initial contact last year. Just in case that doesn't really sink in, it means that most of his yards are of his own doing, which you cannot say about Alexander if you actually watched him.

But yea, let's just completely forget about context and skillset and just view the players as statistics. That's the best way to go about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: