Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The question of Jake Long...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: The question of Jake Long... Reply with quote

It seems like several of the threads have boiled down to a debate on what the Dolphins should do about Jake Long.

The Choices (from what I have seen).

Trade him: The idea is that a contender with a weakness on the o-line may be willing to overpay (in draft picks) in order to pick him up for their playoff push.

Resign Him: He is an elite talent that would be too hard to replace and the Dolphins have far too many needs to address to focus on a new left tackle.

Wait and see with Free Agency: He is a free agent at the end of the yea,r if his value goes down then the Dolphins resign him at a discount if he signs elsewhere then the Dolphins will be compensated with a 3rd round pick.

There may be other options that have been mentioned, but for the most part these seem to be the big three. Personally I'm not sure what path to take....if the Dolphins trade him....is there a viable option to protect Tannehill for the rest of the year? If the Dolphins wait and don't intend to resign him are they giving up the possibility of acquiring better picks? If they keep him will his play adjust to the type of offense the Dolphins are now running?

Personally I like Jake Long....he's a good leader and having him the field with Ryan Tannehill can only benefit the young QB and with other holes (Guard) I feel it would be beneficial to keep him to bring along those players...
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the option of tagging him or tagging and trading him in the offseason as well.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade him, before the deadline. I want something in exchange for Long, something more than a 3rd round compensatory pick.

If we do move him, it is in our best interest to do it sooner than later. He doesn't fit this style of offense, and he's playing hurt. His value will decline for as long as we hold onto him. Furthermore, we have leverage if we trade him to a desperate team before the deadline. I'm sure we could get a team to give us something worthwhile, like multiple picks, maybe even a 1st.

Possible trade partners on the top of my head is the Cardinals and Jets. Obviously I don't want to see him go to the Jets but it makes sense with Sparano there. Cardinals would be my first choice at a trade partner are in DEEP need of a good OT.

For the record, does any one know which teams in the NFL use a power blocking scheme? Any team using this scheme would have interest in Long.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Deets

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
We have the option of tagging him or tagging and trading him in the offseason as well.

Tagging him would probably get us a fairer deal then the open market. I like that option.

FF Member #67
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:

Tagging him would probably get us a fairer deal then the open market. I like that option.

Still a bit pricey....considering he isn't even the team's best lineman this year...
Clutch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see what we do. I can tell you I don't want to be in the Cards situation. We could have a guy like Massie. Shocked

Jake hasn't cost us a game or won us a game. He has given up sacks, some are not on him, but none of his sacks have resulted in the turnover like some blindside sacks.

We do need pass rush and more CB's but they maybe easier to find in the draft than an elite LT, and yes Jake would still be considered elite.

Ireland can't win in this situation. IF he lets him go (trade or walk) he loses, if he signs him for big cash (Tag, Free Agent), he probably loses.

Not good spot here.
Russ57

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please help me understand something here.

Why is it felt that Jonathon Martin is okay for a ZBS but Jake Long isn't? Jake is a whole lot stronger and a good bit faster.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:

Why is it felt that Jonathon Martin is okay for a ZBS but Jake Long isn't? Jake is a whole lot stronger and a good bit faster.

You don't need to be jake long strong to be effective in ZBS ... and no way in hell is Long faster than Martin.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Russ57 wrote:

You don't need to be jake long strong to be effective in ZBS ... and no way in hell is Long faster than Martin.

Martin was 5.43 and 5.33 at his pro day, Long ran a 5.17 at the combine....
Fender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
Russ57 wrote:

Martin was 5.43 and 5.33 at his pro day, Long ran a 5.17 at the combine....
Jake also has a considerably faster 3cone... more important imo... third fastest among o linemen at the combine when he was there.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to let him go next offseason then might as well let him go now... If not then get in and get him a new deal

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to jump to conclusions on jake long just because he is off to a slow start in pass protection after 4 games.
carlos2104

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
I refuse to jump to conclusions on jake long just because he is off to a slow start in pass protection after 4 games.
Agreed. on a side note: Even if it's best for the team to trade him, I'm having a hard time swallowing it. He doesn't fit the scheme, blah blah blah. Same was said about Vonte. thank god for Richard Marshall. am I right!!! ehhhh!!!!
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:

Why not....just use this...

Russ57

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that others have been kind enough to make my point.....what say you now Doc? About the only measurable I could find Martin better at was vertical jump. So waht, we all know white men can't jump.

So again, why is Jake totally unsuitable for a ZBS? This is a serious question that I don't consider myself qualified to answer......but it seems you and Sugs do. So please, help me out here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: