Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Buying tires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Buying tires Reply with quote

I'm told I need new tires for my 09 Altima, that has 37K miles.

I'm clueless when it comes to cars so I had a few generic questions that I know the great minds of FF will know...

1. How do you know you need tires... I've heard of the quarter test (forget details, and the tread on my tires don't look that bad) but are there other things to look for as an indication?

2. Any brands or types that you would recommend?

3. I am moving to a location that gets some snow... not a ton of snow and I hear you usually don't get much snow sticking but I hear icy roads is a problem. Should I look at an all-weather tire or any other type of speciality type tire.

Thanks for the help.

And feel free to use this to ask any other tire/car related questions.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
latinoaustino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying tires Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
I'm told I need new tires for my 09 Altima, that has 37K miles.

I'm clueless when it comes to cars so I had a few generic questions that I know the great minds of FF will know...

1. How do you know you need tires... I've heard of the quarter test (forget details, and the tread on my tires don't look that bad) but are there other things to look for as an indication?

3. I am moving to a location that gets some snow... not a ton of snow and I hear you usually don't get much snow sticking but I hear icy roads is a problem. Should I look at an all-weather tire or any other type of speciality type tire.

Thanks for the help.

And feel free to use this to ask any other tire/car related questions.

All weather tires will probably be best because there isn't much you can do about ice. The quarter test is putting a quarter in the tread with washinton's head upside down. If you can see his entire head above the tread then it's time to change them.

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally altimas come with 50k mile tires...

Quote:

look to see how worn down the tread is as well as if there is any dry rot.

Quote:

Michelin, Toyo and BF Goodrich.

Quote:

Allweather is the best bet. I like Michelin All-weather and when I need new ones that is what is going on my car.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
eagles101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first if you live in an area with discount tire go there. they will check your tires to see if you need new ones. usually they are pretty honest and wont try to cheat you.

second get all-weather. snow is nothing to drive through. if i had a choice between 5 inches of snow or ice i would pick the snow. ice is not something to mess with.

third talk to a tire salesmen. there are a lot of things to take into account when picking tires. some brands have amazing tires but dont have them in all sizes and some sizes have better options then your normal car.

but if you really want to know personally if the tires tread is good or not get a tire gauge. it measure the tread on the tire. pretty easy to use. but 27k seems awfully low to change a tire at but i dk how good of tires they are on there now.

did you get them rotated properly?

props to deadpulse
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
but if you really want to know personally if the tires tread is good or not get a tire gauge. it measure the tread on the tire. pretty easy to use. but 27k seems awfully low to change a tire at but i dk how good of tires they are on there now.

37K not 27K... rotated them around every 10K miles... can't remember exactly. I bought the car brand new Sept 08.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
acowboys62

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TireRack has always been my go to for tires, then head over to a local sears or other other tire shop and can usually get a mount and balance for cheap.

Personally I always use All Seasons as most have mentioned. I also generally buy Kumho, much more affordable than Michelin, Good Year, Bridgestone etc... and to be honest they are very comparable in terms of performance, I prefer them over most of the "popular" brands.
acowboys62

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

37K not 27K... rotated them around every 10K miles... can't remember exactly. I bought the car brand new Sept 08.

One thing I have learned is the miles in terms of a tire is almost irrelevant. Perhaps I am skewed because I drive awd and I drive my car much harder than most. But I don't think I have ever had a set of tires get me past 30-35k miles.
milanb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:

Allweather is the best bet. I like Michelin All-weather and when I need new ones that is what is going on my car.

It depends on where you are. Winter tires perform much better and are much safer than all-seasons on snow and ice and in cold temperatures. It's not even close.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. ó Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thatís the way to bet. ó Jimmy The Greek
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good things to consider... appreciate it a lot.

I will probably be looking to get new tires in about a month (if my 2nd opinion still thinks they need replaced) ... because in about 6 weeks I will be driving from NW Florida to NE New Mexico. SO definitely don't want to risk any problems while traveling.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to check your tires is to use the wear bars. They'll be little bars inside the groves that go around the tires. The wear bars run side to side in the groves. If the rest of the tread is even with the wear bars, you need new tires.

Are you PCSing to Kirtland? If so, you may want to invest in some Winter tires. They'll do far better than anything else on the ice, and in the cold. It sucks that you have to change them out for all-season, or Summer, tires in Apr/May, but the benefits are well worth it.

Shop online, and find the vest price on what you like. Get a print out of the cart with the final price (including shipping). Take the Printout to Discount Tires. They'll match the price, and add installation. Saved me a few hundred last time I did it.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Are you PCSing to Kirtland? If so, you may want to invest in some Winter tires. They'll do far better than anything else on the ice, and in the cold. It sucks that you have to change them out for all-season, or Summer, tires in Apr/May, but the benefits are well worth it.

I wish .... Cannon Sad

I hear the winters aren't that bad there...

Thanks for the advice!

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how often do tires need to be rotated?
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tires are tires tbh. the whole brand loyalty on tires is pointless. i put on 60,000 mile generic tires (roadrunner) from fleet farm and they do great. i mean unless you have a sports car and are planning on ripping the road up, no need for pirellis or even cheaper name brands.

i agree with the others, these days, all weather tires are your best bet.

quarter test is a good test, but overall just be smart. look at your tires. are they bald (aka very little tread), then they probably need to be replaced, especially if you live in a place that gets snow and ice. if you still wanna double check, get an oil change and ask them to check, they'll give you a pretty precise number on how much wear they have (out of 32nds of an inch)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUARTER TEST RESULTS:

I saw all of Washingtons head... tread was right at the top of his head.

So... replace soon, or in the clear?

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

I wish .... Cannon Sad

I hear the winters aren't that bad there...

Thanks for the advice!

Who'd you make mad? That's harsh.

If you're looking for something with good performance, decent in the winter, and a good warranty, check out BF Goodrich Traction T/A.

If performance isn't a concern, but you want the best all-season for the winter and really great tread life, look into Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: