Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bobby Massie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuckleyBoy wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
I'm still mad that the Skins couldn't sign Cortland Finnegan, but yeah...
Massie was awful.

Was on the list until the cap hit came
source?

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bobby Massie Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
mrdriii wrote:
I know Turtle wanted him but he's getting ABUSED in this Rams Cards game. He looks slow and unathletic. The antithesis of what we want and need.

Yuppers - would have been a waste of a pick.
a player to develop in a position you need is never a waste of a pick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
BuckleyBoy wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
I'm still mad that the Skins couldn't sign Cortland Finnegan, but yeah...
Massie was awful.

Was on the list until the cap hit came
source?

all the rumors said the same thing,him and VJax were at the top of our list.

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-14 Tackles, 1PD, 1 Sack,1FR
mrdriii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Compton our developmental RT? I thought giving up on Smith for Black was foolish, he did well in relief last year.

Thanx Mike23MD for the sig!!
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link...
Quote:
Despite Monday's cap hit from the league office, ESPN's John Clayton expects the Redskins to remain in aggressive in pursuit of free agents Cortland Finnegan, Vincent Jackson and Eddie Royal. Dozens of reports have linked Jackson to the Redskins, but Finnegan is flying under the radar as a target for GM Bruce Allen and deep-pocketed owner Daniel Snyder.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4035&line=229596&spln=1

mike23md on the sig
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bobby Massie Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
mrdriii wrote:
I know Turtle wanted him but he's getting ABUSED in this Rams Cards game. He looks slow and unathletic. The antithesis of what we want and need.

We got a player to develop...Compton.....Massie wasnt going to beat out Polumbus for the starting job. He would be on the practice squad just like Compton.....Afetr the game he played Thursday night, he should be on Arizona's PS. They just have a horrible O line situation.

Im very pleased with Polumbus!!! Its possible that we have the best tackle combo in the NFCE....just sayn
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bobby Massie Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
mrdriii wrote:

I want you to read this carefully: just because you draft a player at a position of need, does not mean it is the right decision.

Even though I wanted Alameda Ta'amu in a Redskins uniform, if you asked me whether I would prefer to have Keenan Robinson (heir apparent to London) and Tom Compton (eventual swing tackle) over Ta'amu, it's an easy decision.

Some players simply do not fit the mold, and Massie is one of those players. He never would have been drafted by this front office. The tackles that this team will draft will look and move like Tyler Polumbus - he is slim and athletic. If Trent improves his work ethic, he will fit the physical description as well, but as of now he still has the bulge.
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bobby Massie Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
mrdriii wrote:

I want you to read this carefully: just because you draft a player at a position of need, does not mean it is the right decision.

Even though I wanted Alameda Ta'amu in a Redskins uniform, if you asked me whether I would prefer to have Keenan Robinson (heir apparent to London) and Tom Compton (eventual swing tackle) over Ta'amu, it's an easy decision.

Some players simply do not fit the mold, and Massie is one of those players. He never would have been drafted by this front office. The tackles that this team will draft will look and move like Tyler Polumbus - he is slim and athletic. If Trent improves his work ethic, he will fit the physical description as well, but as of now he still has the bulge.

Laughing Bulge huh? Laughing

mike23md on the sig
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobby Massie Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
mrdriii wrote:

Well, I can't call it a beer belly because I hope that is not the cause and usually beer belly's are more solid in appearance, where as Trent's is very much a tire-like concentration of bad weight. An equatorial bulge seems fitting considering he has a slender lower body.

Merriam-Webster to jut out, ex. middle-aged people bulging at the waist
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobby Massie Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
mrdriii wrote:

Well, I can't call it a beer belly because I hope that is not the cause and usually beer belly's are more solid in appearance, where as Trent's is very much a tire-like concentration of bad weight. An equatorial bulge seems fitting considering he has a slender lower body.

Merriam-Webster to jut out, ex. middle-aged people bulging at the waist

Wink

mike23md on the sig
Slateman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Rookie year

Fair enough. However, he was getting WORKED over.

Of course, if he were on our team, he'd be a rookie too. So, would the right side of our line be any better?

What's worse? A rookie back up tackle getting worked or a guy who's been in the NFL for 10 years getting worked?

At least the rookie is probably going to get better
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Rookie year

Of course, if he were on our team, he'd be a rookie too. So, would the right side of our line be any better?

What's worse? A rookie back up tackle getting worked or a guy who's been in the NFL for 10 years getting worked?

Frankly Jordan Black is there for the film room, and I expect the coaching staff banked on Trent staying healthy enough until Jammal Brown's return. Unfortunately, it seems that this team will have to keep around a veteran because of Trent's work ethic.

When it came down to Willie Smith vs. Jordan Black, I suspect that the decision was relatively easy to make because you have to protect your biggest investments. If RG3 is going to do well over the next couple of years, Trent Williams has to be mentally prepared and you do that by surrounding him with hard working veterans who can help him with the mental preparation.

If you are going to keep a tackle to develop, it looks like they will have to be on the PS until they have learned the game and developed strong work ethic.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Rookie year

I'd say the rookie might get better. It requires said rookie to work on it. Is Massie that guy? Don't know.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Rookie year

mike Adams 2nd round rookie OT from "the Ohio state university" was getting worked over all preseason, which prompted the steelers to re-sign Max Starks coming off a torn ACL vs Denver in the divisional playoff game. Rookies need to develop, they need time to get acclimated to the nfl, the speed of the game, strength of the experienced players etc.

If I recall correctly, Mike Adams seemed to have reports of physically a stud, mentally lapses LOTS of times. In college, you can get away with it; in the pros, you'll get crushed.

That all said, Adams is somewhat irrelevant to the topic at hand since we had no chance to get him where we did with Massie but chose not to.

Quote:
Bobby Massie is a rookie and he was going up against Chris Long. Who, you should know a lot about being a UVA alum. IMO Long is the best LDE in the nfl currently.

Fair enough. However, Massie was getting beat on a speed rush, something a more mobile/athletic lineman should not have happen. As such, I question whether having Massie on the roster would help us even in the future.

Quote:
As for if Massie were on our team, the RT position would be in a better position for the future, which right now we have nothing to look at on the Rt position and think that guy can be an answer past this year...

That assumes that Massie would fit with what we hope to do with the offensive line. e16bball, if you're out there, please correct me on this but didn't you say that you thought Massie would be better suited for a power blocking scheme and not a ZBS?

Quote:
Because we also cut Willie Smith.

It's a major problem we've had and we've had it for 5 years. Gets really old...

Willie Smith could easily fall into the same category as Stephon Heyer: an overachiever early on who hit his ceiling quickly. One thing we do have at our disposal is a resident Oakland Raiders fan in dante9876. I suspect that he'll be happy to tell us how much of a steal Willie Smith was from us, if that turns out to be the case. Wink Laughing

In any event, you know that I'm a line partisan, so you don't need to preach to me about how we need to invest in the line. That said, it seems to me that they did this offseason. The coaching staff felt that Compton fit better for what we're trying to do than Smith did. Yes, they put Compton on the practice squad, but we are talking about the future.

Believe it or not, this is how Shanahan goes about building the lines. He invests a bunch of low round picks in his right tackles.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow we don't take tackles with bulge, yet we took Trent Williams #4 overall in the draft over a tackle with virtually no bulge in Okung.

Arrow we kept Black because of film room for Trent? Come on, we are trying to build a young talented team with depth at most, if not all positions. Willie Smith showed potential last year and could of built on it this year in a redskins uniform. Instead, he's building on it as a Starter in a Raiders uniform

Good theories Footy and I'm not really saying you are wrong that the coaching staff didn't think the same, but IMO the 1st point contradicts itself and #2 I just disagree with it, if thats what they were thinking. I'd love to have Trent, Willie as 2 of our top 3 OTs, then Compton on the practice squad all growing and developing together for the next few years, hopefully for the next 8 to 10. Now we don't have that, we have to spend next offseason still focusing on the tackle position early in the draft because we didn't keep Willie to develop.

Jamaal Brown and Polumbus along with the coaches are around to help Trent and other players with Film.

Last edited by turtle28 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: