Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 5: Bills @ 49ers Game Day Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start of 2nd qtr...gonna split the posts up by qtr to avoid excessive length.

Still our 3rd series...Graham for a 1st down. So far this looks like a game we should be relatively pleased with given our difficulty defending Davis...still 3-0 - 49ers...Chandler with a long 1st down at the SF 28. Spiller for 12 yds after bouncing it outside...to their 16. Fitz had pressure from inside, wisely threw that away. Stevie for 8 yds...good tackle by SF keeping us short of 1st...3rd & 2...Fitz incomplete to Jones...thrown a little behind...should have been a TD. 3-3.

SF ball...Crabtree underneath for too many yards, followed by Williams giving up a TD pass on a back shoulder pass. Williams couldn't make the tackle at the 15 yd line. We couldn't get to Smith. 10-3 SF.

Our ball...Johnson adjusts well to tipped pass by Fitz for a 1st. BTW, is it me or has Fitz had a number of tipped balls so far this season? 3rd & 2 at our 38...Fitz overthrew Spiller...he was open.

Another very good punt by Powell...SF ball at the 3! 2 straight 1-2 yd runs by Gore...3rd & 7...Hunter left for 14 yds...called back on penalty. Hunter up the middle for 12! We had `em pinned, didn't execute. Twice. 3rd & 9 from their 16...Smith has nothing but protection and runs to the 40. 2 & 5 with 2:00 left in half...pass to Davis, missed tackle by Bradham leads to big play to our 36. Another pass to Davis...1st down. Finally some pressure on Smith by Mario...incomplete. Wildcat call...Kaepernick fumbles...we recover at our 17...49 sec left!

RG Brown is out - don't know why. Countless reviews of the fumble...play stands. Fitz goes deep for Graham...great positional D by the DB...incomplete. Ball might have stalled in the air. 3rd & 6...pass to Chandler...he fumbles, SF ball at our 27. Damn.

29 secs left...TD to Crabtree after Smith had just short of a decade to find him open. OK, I exaggerated a teeny bit there, but he had time and a good pocket...17-3.

24 secs left...we kneel...end of half.

OK, I already know the final score, but at this point, I'm not embarrassed by our play. Yeah we're down by 2 scores to a very good team, but we've had our opportunities. Our DL has been stymied by one of the best & most physical OL's in the league IMHO, which is discouraging given our preseason belief that we had finally put together an excellent DL. Only sign this is going to get really really ugly is that we have given up too many deep passes to both TE's & WR's. SF has 237 passing yds on us and rushed for 83 yds...guess I should be embarrassed already!

Halftime commercials...Marisa Miller is criminally HOT and apparently Buick still makes cars! That is all.

Last edited by Yibbyl on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We start the half at our 20...Jackson runs for 7 then 4 for a 1st. Fitz sacked by an unblocked Brooks...2nd & 21...Fitz runz for 2 after inside pressure. Screen to Jackson...nice playcalling on 3rd & 19! Either try to convert the 3rd downs or pack it up early and head to AZ! I hate those calls. Another Powell sighting.

SF ball on their 34...Smith to Davis on a beautifully thrown pass...Moats actually had good coverage on that play. Wildcat play...Davis drops sure TD! Hold on SF anyway. Apparently Byrd deflected the pass at the last second, but I didn't see it. 1st & 20...Crabtree gets 15 putting him over 100 already! Gore runs for too many yards..Dareus caught him from behind at the 16. Kaepernick for 15 yds...it seems SF can successfully run the wildcat, not that I want us to try it more...less wildcat works for me. Gore for a TD. 24 - 3 (49ers, if you needed clarification)

We start again from our 20...pass to Chandler for 5. Fitz under pressure throws it away. I still haven't seen what I would call horrible play by our QB. Pass to Graham to the 45. Wildcat...Smith for 35 yd run. Still don't like it. OK, the Fitzski INT was a very poorly thrown ball...huge arch, underthrown, and wide to the right. Ball should have been a deep fade to the back corner of the EZ, which would have kept the DB from having a chance at a pick. Better play and we come out with at least a FG there.

SF ball at the 6...3rd & 5, Hunter runs for a 1st. When we got teams deep in their end of the field, we must start getting 3 & outs. We've struggled to do this all year. SF's OL is taking over even more so now...another run for a 1st at the 30. Geez! Another long run...17 yds and another you really have to credit to the SF OL...multiple holes to choose from on that play. We got pressure! Shepperd up the middle and ball got tipped...incomplete. 2nd & 10...Dixon gets in on the action...9 yds to our 25. Gore gets 1st on second effort...we had him short, D just didn't close the deal.

End of the 3rd.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore starts 4th qtr out by running for a 1st...1st & goal..Manningham WIDE open for the TD. Smith looks like a legitimate Pro-Bowler today (just 4 incomplete passes so far), thanks to our lack of pressure, coverage, and, to a lesser extent, tackling. 31 - 3...two more TD's to go! Embarassed

Knowing the final score is gonna make the rest of this 4th qtr a long one. Sigh.

We start at the 20...the SF kicker has done a really great job on kickoffs. We go 3 & out...seem to be lacking any energy/urgency. Very unimpressive series...worst one of the game so far.

SF ball at their 33 after the punt. Time for SF to really run out the clock with run after run...Yep, Gore goes over 100 for the day. Bradham is on the field again (tackles Hunter after 1st down run)...looks like we are bringing him into our D more and more over the last 3 weeks. 2nd & 10 from our 46...pressure on Smith leads to early incomplete pass to Davis. 3 & 10...Smith runs for 8...we were in a nickel. A-Williams is injured...walks off holding right arm. 4th & 2...Smith naked bootleg for 17 yds. This is HS level D we are seeing on the field today! I'm expecting to later rant for a ridiculously long time about Wanny in another thread! Our O is acceptable, the D is not. Kaepernick looks like he is going to close out the game for SF...oh look, he ran for a TD. A confused TE Walker didn't know what to do as there was virtually no one for him to lead block! That wasn't a hole on the left side, that was an uninhabited continent! 38 - 3 Bills, I mean, 9ers!

9:55 left...another unreturnable KO. Announcers are mentioning impressive SF stats that haven't been accomplished since the birth of baby Jesus. BTW, we are punting...Smith with an excellent shoestring tackle.

SF ball...please run 3 straight times and eat that clock! There's one...Hunter for 5. Kaepernick screws up and runs out of bounds for 2. Pass to Kyle Williams (theirs) for a 1st. Hunter for 6, mercifully keeping the clock running. Hunter left to the 23...that wasn't a hole, but an empty field as DE Anderson ran up the field to the QB. Hunter being fed the ball over and over...Mark Anderson is injured...knee or ankle. Let's move Mario to RE and bring in Carrington to the left side...I wanna see if we can stop the run. Nope. My wish wasn't granted...Kelsay's in at RE. SF running the ball with Dixon, who BTW is the 3rd stringer...he's in for a TD. 45 -3 with 1:11 left in game.

Thigpen in for Ftzy...ball at our 39. We run. Let's see what Thiggy can do! Another run. I expect Thigpen (or anyone with a currently beating heart) to be able to hand off a ball, we should have given him some passing plays to see if he has progressed any.

That's the game.

Last edited by Yibbyl on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if I've annoyed anyone with the long posts or for rehashing a game where we got our butts handed to us. I just wanted to compare what I saw with what others have said in this forum and others.

My over all thoughts for this game & the season:

1) Fitz did not cost us this game. His play was not horrible. Did he miss some open throws? Of course, but I think he only made one bad decision and that was the costly pick at the SF 6. Fitz's low numbers mostly came from SF controlling the clock and only allowing us the underneath stuff, which they quickly kept from turning into big plays by tackling well. Don't get me wrong, I still think Fitz is too inconsistent to start in the NFL and want us to draft his replacement, but he didn't lose this game.

2) It is quite apparent that we are not getting pressure from just our 4 DL's...not just in this game, but all year. I don't think it is that our DL is overrated as much as I think Wanny needs to learn how to call some blitzes and run some more stunts. He realistically isn't the answer as our DC...or any NFL DC IMHO.

3) Our LBing corps really needs a drafted athletic, smart, strong LB & Bradham needs to step up his game so we can get him and his athleticism on the field. TE's and anyone else willing to go over the middle have their way with this team. Our inability to deal especially with pass catching TE's is negating any of the good work our CB's are doing on the outside. Still not certain our safeties are lacking, simply because they are having to regularly chose between providing over the top help to our CB's and aiding the LBers, when they're being simultaneously tested. However, I'm not necessarily giving them a pass either.

4) Chan Freakin' Gailey...can't stand him as a HC. Never have. I used to bad mouth him like my life depended on it, but this past year or longer I've tried to bite my tongue. Truth is, I actually would like him as an OC. I'm serious. There's no getting around the fact that he is creative in working up run plays and has designed a passing attack that usually negates any team's ability to rush the QB. His lack of energy however, (meaning in the last 2 games I have not once seen him get in anyone's face for poor play) negatively translates to the team. He seems to have no motivational ability and IMHO our team plays flat as a result. It's like he's a robot. These guys need to get their butts chewed out when they stink up the field. They need to be encouraged when we are down and need to strike to get back in the game. I've never seen or heard him do anything even remotely close to that. Any idea if Curtis Modkins has those traits or has learned enough of the offense to step up relatively soon? When Wanny hits the road, I'd like to see Gailey leading the way!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Williams was definitely terrible yesterday.

Targets 4
Completions 4
Yards 72
TDs 2

Is McKelvin THAT bad that Williams is starting?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Targets 4
Completions 4
Yards 72
TDs 2

McKelvin is a much better nickle than a starting CB. Aaron Williams up to this point was making mistakes and getting beat but was recovering nicely to knock balls away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a positive note, did anyone else think that Mario was playing faster and looked better against the 49ers? I saw a few nice rushes by him in the second half and a really hard hit on Alex Smith. Nothing that showed up on the stat sheet. Does anyone else feel he played a little better?

TommyC376^^^
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
On a positive note, did anyone else think that Mario was playing faster and looked better against the 49ers? I saw a few nice rushes by him in the second half and a really hard hit on Alex Smith. Nothing that showed up on the stat sheet. Does anyone else feel he played a little better?

Yeah I caught a glimpse of Mario.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
McKelvin is a much better nickle than a starting CB. Aaron Williams up to this point was making mistakes and getting beat but was recovering nicely to knock balls away.

Yeah, just going by the stats, Williams wasn't too terrible before last week. Gilmore actually gave up MUCH more through four weeks.

But then again, how many CBs are going to thrive when the D-line is not bringing ANY pressure. It doesn't matter who is playing CB, give QBs that much time plays will be made.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
jb_gobills wrote:
FS Jairus Byrd (hip) and RG Chad Rinehart (calf) will start.
Why did Brown get the start?

Dunno, they must've made the change last minute.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Targets 4
Completions 4
Yards 72
TDs 2

A. Williams is better suited as a safety, he doesnt have the speed/agility to be a solid corner. That was the knock on him when he was drafted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: