Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off-season Mock (And we are in week 5??)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xenajets

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Off-season Mock (And we are in week 5??) Reply with quote

I don't want to be pessimistic but i do already have an eye to next year. I think we have a solid group of core guys but need a re-injection of both youth and speed on both sides of the ball. I would also trade Brandon Moore now for a 6th round pick from the Lions in 2013 NFL Draft. Start Ducasse and see if he finally gets going.

Cuts:

Bart Scott (Saves $7.15m) He's too slow and way to expensive.
Calvin Pace (Saves $8.56m) See Bart Scott
Jason Smith (Saves $12m) Id bring him back on a very low contract
Eric Smith (Saves $3m) Shocking, shocking player.

Trades:

Mark Sanchez to KC for a 3rd round pick (Saves $12.85)
Tim Tebow to JAX for a 5th round pick (Saves $2.56)
Santonio Holmes to HOU for a 6th round pick (Saves $12.5m)

Total Savings: $58.62m

Re-Sign:

Dustin Keller 4/$21m (Cap Hit $4m)
LaRon Landry 3/$14m (Cap Hit $3m)
Yeremiah Bell 1/$1.4m (Cap Hit $1.4m)
Aaron Maybin 2/$2.2m (Cap Hit $1m)
Matt Slauson 2/$2.0m (Cap Hit $0.85m)
Mike DeVito 2/$2.2m (Cap Hit $1m)
Nick Folk 2/$2.2m (Cap Hit $1m)
Jason Smith 2/$2.2m (Cap Hit $1m)

Free Agency:

Cliff Avril 4/$40m (Cap Hit $7m)
Andy Levitre 3/$13m (Cap hit 3.75m)
Greg Jennings 3/$35m (Cap Hit $12m)
Leroy Harris 2/$4m (Cap Hit $1.8m)
Martellus Bennett 1/$1.5m (Cap Hit $1m)
Jason Campbell 1/$2m (Cap Hit $2m)

Total Spent: $40.8m

NFL Draft

*We trade our 2nd rounder plus a 5th, 6th and 7th to get a first in the region of 21-29 depending on how the board develops.

1. Geno Smith- Quarterback, West Virginia
1. Marcus Lettimore- Running Back, South Carolina
3. Michael Buchanan- Outside Linebacker/Defensive End, Illinois
3. Tavon Austin- Wide Receiver, West Virginia
4. Devin Taylor- Defensive End, South Carolina
5. Daimion Stafford- Free Safety, Nebraska
6. Chris Thompson- Running Back, Florida
6. Jon Bostic- Middle Linebacker, Florida

Final Depth Chart:

QB: G.Smith, J.Campbell, G.McElroy
RB: M.Lattimore, B.Powell, C.Thompson, J.McKnight
FB: J.Connor
WR: G.Jennings, J.Kerley, J.White
WR: S.Hill, T.Austin, C.Schilens
TE: D.Keller, M.Bennett, J.Cumberland
LT: D.Ferguson, J.Smith
LG: A.Levitre, M.Slauson
C: N.Mangold, M.Slauson
RG: L.Harris, V.Ducasse
RT: A.Howard, J.Smith

DE: M.Wilkerson, M.Devito, D.Taylor
NT: S.Pohua, K.Ellis, D.Harrison
DE: Q.Coples, D.Taylor, M.Devito
OLB: C.Avril, G.McIntyre
MLB: D.Harris, J.Bostic
MLB: D.Davis, J.Mauga
OLB: M.Buchanan, A.Maybin
CB: D.Revis, K.Wilson, E.Lankaster
FS: D.Stafford, J.Bush
SS: L.Landry, Y.Bell
CB: A.Cromartie, A.Berry, J.McKnight

K: N.Folk
P: R.Malone
LS: T.Purdum
KR: J.McKnight
PR: J.Kerley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is going to trade a 3rd for Sanchez. I'd be surprised if anyone traded anything for Sanchez.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
Nobody is going to trade a 3rd for Sanchez. I'd be surprised if anyone traded anything for Sanchez.

KC have Matt Cassel. Who they traded a 2nd rounder for and have a great running back and good defense when everyone is healthy. Sanchez could actually be okay in that environment

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly the offensive line needs 2 draft picks, doesn't matter what round. We can't keep trying to sign veterans that may or may not pan out. Also, we need all the draft picks we can get, there's no need to really trade them even if it's for a talented runner like Lattimore, plus I don't think he will last that long in the draft so this is kind of unrealistic.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenajets wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

KC have Matt Cassel. Who they traded a 2nd rounder for and have a great running back and good defense when everyone is healthy. Sanchez could actually be okay in that environment

I can see a team like the Chiefs trading for Sanchez, if they don't take a QB in the first round, which at this point will most likely be what happens. But yeah, def not a 3rd for Sanchez. A 5th round would be the best we could hope for for him IMO.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We better just stop trying to win games now if we want Geno Smith. We're gonna need a top 5 pick.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love if all of this happen except i would rather have dwayne bowe and i would rather have tyler wilson who is much better natural QB.

Everyone is on the Geno Smith band wagon but he doesn't play in a pro style offense and literally played against mannequins last week. Not taking away anything hes done, but hes not who I want. Wilson could have an off senior year and I have still seen enough in his arm strength, his release, his accuracy and his pocket awareness to make him my top QB this year. I know I am not going to be popular with this comment but I stand by my guy.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
RDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Jennings is a good reciever i just think hes beginning to degress. Hes only 5,11 and has been battling injuries all this season. Id go after Bowe in a heartbeat, hes bigger and a better blocker. Hes also more fitted for a run first team.

Also i cant stress it enough, that to go quarterback in this upcoming draft is utterly stupid. We need to fill this roster with talent at everything but that position and aim at a 2014 big offseason QB target. Is Sanchez tradeworthy... i honestly dont know at this point. Bringing Tebow in would demand an offseason Sanchez trade but quite honestly i think Sanchez is with us next year. The best thing this team can do is to ride Sanchez the rest of the year. Then we finally build up this offense the way we want to this next offseason. Give Sanchez a full competition next year and cut Tebow. Then if Sanchez underperforms or lets say a savy veteran like Campbell beats him out, i think we are then able to unload his salary and draft another 1st round franchise quarterback in 2014.

2013 offseason
Build around the QB

2014 offseason
Get your QB

Thats how you build a team.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't like Madden where you can just trade any player. I don't think anybody would trade anything for Tebow right now. His value was at an all time high after last season.

At best, you might get a 7th, 6th tops, from a team that is desperate for a media circus.

For Sanchez, you might be able to get a third, and I think KC would actually be a good destination for him.

Holmes is an insanely tricky player to trade. Who will take on that contract? Houston? They'll take on that contract for a #2 receiver? You'd probably have to hope a team that desperately needs a receiver and sees Holmes as a game changer.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
Greg Jennings is a good reciever i just think hes beginning to degress. Hes only 5,11 and has been battling injuries all this season. Id go after Bowe in a heartbeat, hes bigger and a better blocker. Hes also more fitted for a run first team.

Also i cant stress it enough, that to go quarterback in this upcoming draft is utterly stupid. We need to fill this roster with talent at everything but that position and aim at a 2014 big offseason QB target. Is Sanchez tradeworthy... i honestly dont know at this point. Bringing Tebow in would demand an offseason Sanchez trade but quite honestly i think Sanchez is with us next year. The best thing this team can do is to ride Sanchez the rest of the year. Then we finally build up this offense the way we want to this next offseason. Give Sanchez a full competition next year and cut Tebow. Then if Sanchez underperforms or lets say a savy veteran like Campbell beats him out, i think we are then able to unload his salary and draft another 1st round franchise quarterback in 2014.

2013 offseason
Build around the QB

2014 offseason
Get your QB

I think that's backwards to be honest.

I think that's what went wrong with Sanchez in some ways. Sanchez was pretty much always the young guy. We never really built around him. We kept bringing in veterans around him. Until we drafted Hill, we never really made an effort at all to give him a weapon through the draft.

I think this current predicament is ultimately a failure that falls on Tannenbaum. I think we're finding out that Tanny is more of a numbers guy than a football guy.

I realize I new GM would likely mean a new HC, but I really hope Rex doesn't lose his job. I hope a strong GM comes in that can reel in Ryan when he starts to get crazy.
xenajets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
This isn't like Madden where you can just trade any player. I don't think anybody would trade anything for Tebow right now. His value was at an all time high after last season.

At best, you might get a 7th, 6th tops, from a team that is desperate for a media circus.

For Sanchez, you might be able to get a third, and I think KC would actually be a good destination for him.

Holmes is an insanely tricky player to trade. Who will take on that contract? Houston? They'll take on that contract for a #2 receiver? You'd probably have to hope a team that desperately needs a receiver and sees Holmes as a game changer.

My thought process is this Tebow is HUGE in Florida, the Jaguars are not a good team that cant sell tickets. They have an owner that is desperate to get them back into the spotlight, sell tickets and create a buzz. TT will do that just by being traded there.

I agree Sanchez would bring back some value, unlike what other people think IMO we would expect a 3/4th rounder. A team like the Chiefs like i said would be a good fit for him. Plus they traded a 2nd for Cassel who done nothing compared to what Mark has done.

Tone i think is the most trickiest but i think we all agree that hes a good football player. In Houston he would get single covered (thanks to Andre Johnson) the defense would have safeties in the box (thanks to Foster/Tate and their unreal run game) so he could thrive there. I think he would jump at the move and i think the Texans would get a player who is a play-maker and if all is going well can help them win a SB. I do think SH would take a pay cut to leave us especially after this injury.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenajets wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:

My thought process is this Tebow is HUGE in Florida, the Jaguars are not a good team that cant sell tickets. They have an owner that is desperate to get them back into the spotlight, sell tickets and create a buzz. TT will do that just by being traded there.

I agree Sanchez would bring back some value, unlike what other people think IMO we would expect a 3/4th rounder. A team like the Chiefs like i said would be a good fit for him. Plus they traded a 2nd for Cassel who done nothing compared to what Mark has done.

Tone i think is the most trickiest but i think we all agree that hes a good football player. In Houston he would get single covered (thanks to Andre Johnson) the defense would have safeties in the box (thanks to Foster/Tate and their unreal run game) so he could thrive there. I think he would jump at the move and i think the Texans would get a player who is a play-maker and if all is going well can help them win a SB. I do think SH would take a pay cut to leave us especially after this injury.

The thing with Tebow is that you have to change your entire offense, and there were rumors that the Jags weren't willing to do that. He would fit perfectly in Jax otherwise.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tebow is absolute poison behind a young QB. Could you imagine the madness in Jacksonville where he's actually liked?

Gabbert would need to play like Brady for him to not hear the Tebow chants.

Fact is, the media has made Tebow into a circus. His production on the field doesn't even come close to the media maelstrom that happens wherever he goes.

How it got this way, I'll never really know. A lot of people love Jesus and are actually quite good at playing football.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
RDawg10 wrote:

2013 offseason
Build around the QB

2014 offseason
Get your QB

I think that's backwards to be honest.

I think that's what went wrong with Sanchez in some ways. Sanchez was pretty much always the young guy. We never really built around him. We kept bringing in veterans around him. Until we drafted Hill, we never really made an effort at all to give him a weapon through the draft.

I think this current predicament is ultimately a failure that falls on Tannenbaum. I think we're finding out that Tanny is more of a numbers guy than a football guy.

I realize I new GM would likely mean a new HC, but I really hope Rex doesn't lose his job. I hope a strong GM comes in that can reel in Ryan when he starts to get crazy.

Its not backwards and this is how it was with Sanchez when he got here. It was all about getting the quarterback (Sanchez) first, then building around him. Which i agree with you we never did. Atleast we had a run game, which made it easier for Sanchez and the defense to win. Continuously going after defense players in the draft and signing old savy veterans doesnt work. Holmes was suppose to be the guy brought in to grow with Sanchez as well as Keller. Sanchez and Keller have shown good chemistry but the problem with this team is that the offensive line has just degressed and the offense is not talented. Whether you like it or not Sanchez will be back here next year which sucks but its true. Drafting geno smith is utterly stupid, mainly because its going to take a way a chance to get a better offensive weapon in the first round. I honestly think Geno Smith in this offense right now wouldnt help it at all.

The biggest point i cant stress enough is that if we cant run the ball, we will never be an effective offense. We need to realize this wasnt a talented offensive team when Sanchez got here.. he had no recievers to throw to Cotchery was his 1 btw. But the truth was, that we could run the ball. Running the ball kept the defense off the field and provided more one on one reciever coverage. We need to take a year to rebuild the guard position at LG and RG and get a running back in the draft. Then in 2014 we can take our QB and then like you said jets man, be able to draft a WR with him or the year after. Stephen Hill would be going into his 3rd year and with a rookie quarterback with a solid offensive line, and hopefully a good 1st round running back. Thats the smartest plan in my eyes and it needs to happen other wise the team is going no where im sorry. RB's this upcoming free agency arent that great, and putting another rookie quarterback in an offense that cant run is utterly stupid.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading Sanchez will not save us 12.85.

Jets will owe 8.93 m. Use it to subtract from 2013 salary cap for saving.

I can live with the draft. Tavon Austin is not a WR. Scatback is a proper position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: