Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will WR be ignored early?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ngata_Chance

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Will WR be ignored early? Reply with quote

This could just be me, but I feel like WR wont be addressed until later in the draft. The front office seems excited with the players we already have at their press conference, and didnt seem like they wanted to add any more talent early. I would definitley be in favor of adding another WR, but in terms of what will actually happen, I think this position os ignored until the later rounds. Thoughts?
dcarey20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you. Unless they've got a guy like Keenan Allen really highly ranked and they can't pass on him, I think WR is going to be looked at in the 3rd or later.

I actually think they're going to give Tandon Doss every opportunity to seize that #2 WR role next season. I also think they like David Reed alot. Why they like these guys and are putting faith in them I am not completely sure, as they've both been somewhat disappointing in their tenures here. However, I am very interested in what Doss can offer if he gets a shot and even with his lackluster play thus far I still think he's got a lot of potential as a possession guy across from Torrey.
Anubiz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously think you'll see the Ravens take a WR with one of their first two picks. I just have this gut feeling and I think you'll see it.

Whether it's a DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, or Keenan Allen with their first pick, or it's a Da'Rick Rogers, Quinton Patton, Robert Woods, or Stedman Bailey with their 2nd pick.

I'm pretty confident in saying that the Ravens take a wideout with one of their first two picks.

But that's just my opinion of course.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are excited about our current WR, they think Osemele is the answer at LT, they want McPhee to be an OLB..

Strange to release all this depth chart altering news one week before the draft. In other words, I wouldn't believe any of it yet.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubiz wrote:
I seriously think you'll see the Ravens take a WR with one of their first two picks. I just have this gut feeling and I think you'll see it.

Whether it's a DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, or Keenan Allen with their first pick, or it's a Da'Rick Rogers, Quinton Patton, Robert Woods, or Stedman Bailey with their 2nd pick.

I'm pretty confident in saying that the Ravens take a wideout with one of their first two picks.

I agree. Other than Safety, we have veterans that can step in and fill gaps at all other areas of need. At WR, though, there isn't anybody "proven" at the #2 role. I too have an inkling that we'll see a WR taken in the first 2 rounds. Likely a safety too. Then I think we see an ILB taken in rounds 3-4.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Anubiz wrote:

I agree. Other than Safety, we have veterans that can step in and fill gaps at all other areas of need. At WR, though, there isn't anybody "proven" at the #2 role. I too have an inkling that we'll see a WR taken in the first 2 rounds. Likely a safety too. Then I think we see an ILB taken in rounds 3-4.

Agreed with this.

Only way I see an ILB being our first pick is if somehow Arthur Brown makes it to our pick, but a lot of indications are that he's someone teams/scouts really love and is likely a top 20-25 pick at the latest.

I could see OT being an option they go, but I kind of like some mid-round guys as developmental guys.

I do believe we have one mystery on the roster which is Tommy Streeter, but otherwise, I'm not confident at all in this WR corp moving forward without adding another high-end talent like those WR's I mentioned above.

I'd love: Hopkins or Allen + Swearinger. I'd just love it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
They are excited about our current WR, they think Osemele is the answer at LT, they want McPhee to be an OLB..

Strange to release all this depth chart altering news one week before the draft. In other words, I wouldn't believe any of it yet.

I think this is being taken out of context. Ozzie said that Osemele would get the first crack at LT if they started things the other day, not that he was definitely being moved to LT or they thought he was going to be great there.

As for the original question, I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised to see them skip over WR for the first couple of rounds since they have other needs and this is a deep draft at WR. On the other hand it's a deep draft at their other positions of needs too so it probably comes down to BPA out of those needs. That could easily end up being a S, ILB, or maybe a LT (in the 2nd-3rd rounds). It seems like the team is high on some pass-rushers too.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

I think this is being taken out of context. Ozzie said that Osemele would get the first crack at LT if they started things the other day, not that he was definitely being moved to LT or they thought he was going to be great there.

I was intentionally exaggerating how bold the statement was. My point is that any info released a week before the draft is suspicious to say the least
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the players we mention and where we say they should be available. Just seems like we are bluffing. I pay attention to the players they don't mention because I guarantee we haven't even mentioned guys we really like in these press conferences
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
Even the players we mention and where we say they should be available. Just seems like we are bluffing. I pay attention to the players they don't mention because I guarantee we haven't even mentioned guys we really like in these press conferences

Agreed. Like I said in the other thread, I'm getting the feeling that we're going to target ILB early over safety. Not that the Ravens weren't being truthful in the press conference, because I think they were, but I think the most revealing statement they made was that they felt there was a safety they liked in every round. That comes across to some as... they really like safety, so they're going to take one early... but to me, it sounds more like they've got a lot of high grades on safeties and would be willing to gamble that a guy will be around later and they won't have to reach.

Whereas besides Te'O, I haven't really heard much on the ILB front. They haven't openly come out and say, "boy this ILB class is stacked, could be a guy in every round." So I think that could mean they're not as high on the positions depth in this draft, which after the 3rd/4th round, I expect the cupboard to be getting thin... and/or it could mean that they have a few guys they really like that they aren't willing to reveal. I mean, I just find it odd that in the Scout's Eye look at five ILB prospects, Joe Hortiz mentions the top 4 ILBs of the class and then mentions a curve-ball with Nico Johnson and not Khaseem Greene.

I think the Ravens aren't suddenly as 'open' and not about keeping things in house as they've been in the past. I doubt this second Super Bowl just all of a sudden made them change the way they operate. So I think the press conference had a lot of smoke in it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of WR, I think how quiet the news has been on Stedman Bailey, but how loud the news from Ravens camp has been on Tavon Austin, I think Bailey just might be a strong possibility that we target in the 2nd round.

But I doubt we wait very long in the draft to go WR, I think if it's going to happen, it'll happen no later than the 4th round comp pick. Plus I have a feeling that the WR board will drain faster than expected with teams looking to grab the guys that fit their system earlier than later.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
In terms of WR, I think how quiet the news has been on Stedman Bailey, but how loud the news from Ravens camp has been on Tavon Austin, I think Bailey just might be a strong possibility that we target in the 2nd round.

But I doubt we wait very long in the draft to go WR, I think if it's going to happen, it'll happen no later than the 4th round comp pick. Plus I have a feeling that the WR board will drain faster than expected with teams looking to grab the guys that fit their system earlier than later.

I agree about Bailey, he would be a strong 2nd round pick. For my money he is Derrick Mason, awesome hands, crafty route runner, and strong tenacious blocker. I have him above Tavon in my rankings, and as I've mentioned before he should be the steal of the draft.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

I can't wait to see the post draft interview because that's usually when we find out what's really going on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: