Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
We'll be picking middle of the pack... if there is a top S prospect there, that'd be my choice... C 2nd... DL and OL the rest of the way.

by the way... what the hell happened to Klug?

I called it last year. His only pass rush move is the arm over swim move. You show the same move on tape enough OL coaches and OL pick up on it and take that move away. I thought Klug and the rest of the defense would use pass rush cocah Mallard's expertise to gain knowledge on second and third moves when your main pass rush move is taken away. I guess it is a work in progress?

As far as the topic of the thread. I do not want to think about the draft until after the Super Bowl in February. Wink Right now I would say defense in the 1st and OL in the 2nd. Not really sure of the prospect I would target right now.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Nobody really thinks DE is a need?

To me it's high on the list.....

Not in the 1st round. We need depth, not starters. Morgan is getting better and Wimbley is a nice pass-rusher(horrible against the run though). Now if Lotulelei and Reid are off the board, I wouldn't hesitate for a second in taking Werner or Montgomery. My top 4 at the moment are.....

1.) Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
2.) Eric Reid, S, LSU
3.) Bjoern Werner, DE, FSU
4.) Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU

If I had to pick a #5 it would be Jarvis Jones but that would mean trying Ayers at DE unless we move Ayers to WLB and make Jones the SLB.
latinoaustino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Not in the 1st round. We need depth, not starters. Morgan is getting better and Wimbley is a nice pass-rusher(horrible against the run though). Now if Lotulelei and Reid are off the board, I wouldn't hesitate for a second in taking Werner or Montgomery. My top 4 at the moment are.....

2.) Eric Reid, S, LSU

If I had to pick a #5 it would be Jarvis Jones but that would mean trying Ayers at DE unless we move Ayers to WLB and make Jones the SLB.

That would mean we're headed to a 3-4 IMO. We would have a ridiculous LB core.

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latinoaustino wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

2.) Eric Reid, S, LSU

Not necessarily. Ayers is getting better each game and I think he could be an effective 4-3 WLB. His coverage is pretty solid and only improving. Actually Jones and Ayers could pretty much be interchangeable between SLB and WLB but we'd have to get a DC that would be smart enough to think of stuff like that. Honestly though, I'd love the switch to a 3-4. Hoping Rex gets fired and we make a run for him but then again, doubt that would ever happen. I do think we have alot of pieces for the 3-4 already. Ayers would make a good 3-4 ILB along with McCarthy. Wimbley would be a good 3-4 OLB. Casey could probably be a good NT but I think he'd be best at DE. Mike Martin has played in a 3-4 before in college and played alot of NT. Morgan could probably play either OLB or DE. Rex could turn this D around quick, much like Wade did with Houston. Plus it would be nice to have a coach with an actual personality.
latinoaustino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
latinoaustino wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

2.) Eric Reid, S, LSU

Not necessarily. Ayers is getting better each game and I think he could be an effective 4-3 WLB. His coverage is pretty solid and only improving. Actually Jones and Ayers could pretty much be interchangeable between SLB and WLB but we'd have to get a DC that would be smart enough to think of stuff like that. Honestly though, I'd love the switch to a 3-4. Hoping Rex gets fired and we make a run for him but then again, doubt that would ever happen. I do think we have alot of pieces for the 3-4 already. Ayers would make a good 3-4 ILB along with McCarthy. Wimbley would be a good 3-4 OLB. Casey could probably be a good NT but I think he'd be best at DE. Mike Martin has played in a 3-4 before in college and played alot of NT. Morgan could probably play either OLB or DE. Rex could turn this D around quick, much like Wade did with Houston. Plus it would be nice to have a coach with an actual personality.

I agree to an extent. The Wimbley at3-4 OLB didn't work out earlier in his career. Morgan would be a good 3-4 DE just not sure he can take the punishment, Casey would be a fantastic 3-4 DE or good NT, Martin is in the same boat as Casey. If we pick Star or Jones I'm pretty sure we could do it and do it as effectively as Houston did as you noted. Ryan WILL be fired at the end of the season barring a miracle for him, the question is would he go back to being a DC or go for another HC job?

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
prozac77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coleman51 wrote:
latinoaustino wrote:
prozac77 wrote:
It's definitely not their biggest need, but I would love to see the Titans draft Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter. Guys who have that combination of size and speed. I'm over Britt. I think the club is too. When he isn't in trouble, he's injured.

I haven't watched Star Lotulelei, but a big guy who can plug the middle of line and keep blockers off the linebackers would help the defense out immensely.

I'll cry if we draft a receiver that high.

We would be like Matt Millen and the Lions, 3 first round WR

It looks to be a big year for FA WR, if we want a playmaker there will be one on the market. I like our WR corps though when healthy.

I like the WR's they have too. But the bolded is a big problem for the best receiver of that corps.

If they could pick up someone like Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe in free agency, that might be even better. The Titans certainly have more than enough money to do so.

Just give Locker RELIABLE weapons.
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm alone but I wouldn't break things if we drafted Geno Smith.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:

I think Locker has shown too much promise to give up on him. I don't much like spread QBs, either, but Smith looks good.
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
titansNvolsR#1 wrote:

I think Locker has shown too much promise to give up on him. I don't much like spread QBs, either, but Smith looks good.

Yeah. My thoughts aren't so much on what Jake Locker has or hasn't shown, but what I think Smith is showing. I know and understand why we'd never even think about it, but I'm just dreaming a dreamer's dream.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how well some of the Texas players play. I would rather not ever....ever....ever draft another player from Texas.
titans0021

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
We'll be picking middle of the pack... if there is a top S prospect there, that'd be my choice... C 2nd... DL and OL the rest of the way.

Honestly, I never really thought Klug was as good as his numbers indicated. He never really established consistent pressure, he just seemed to be able to close the deal when he got close to the quarterback, which was great, but he really is incredibly limited in what he is able to do. Would be surprised if he's anything more than a third defensive tackle (preferably behind Casey and Martin) moving forward.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:

Honestly, I never really thought Klug was as good as his numbers indicated. He never really established consistent pressure, he just seemed to be able to close the deal when he got close to the quarterback, which was great, but he really is incredibly limited in what he is able to do. Would be surprised if he's anything more than a third defensive tackle (preferably behind Casey and Martin) moving forward.

I agree that he wasn't as good as he seemed last year... but he was still the best pass rusher on the team all year... I remember seeing something about him leading the team with ~25 pressures (not positive on the number though).

I thought he would have been able to develop his moves a bit this offseason to continue his growth... but the opposite has happened. I don't have snap numbers... but I'd venture out to say his snaps in the first 4 weeks are significantly lower than any 4 game stretch he had last year.

I dunno... maybe its just me... but its another example where I thought the coaching staff would be able to help develop a player... you know... "coach" them up. It'd be great if this team had some semblance of an inside pass rush... which, to me, seems like the biggest difference from last year and this year's D's.
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:

I agree that he wasn't as good as he seemed last year... but he was still the best pass rusher on the team all year... I remember seeing something about him leading the team with ~25 pressures (not positive on the number though).

I thought he would have been able to develop his moves a bit this offseason to continue his growth... but the opposite has happened. I don't have snap numbers... but I'd venture out to say his snaps in the first 4 weeks are significantly lower than any 4 game stretch he had last year.

I dunno... maybe its just me... but its another example where I thought the coaching staff would be able to help develop a player... you know... "coach" them up. It'd be great if this team had some semblance of an inside pass rush... which, to me, seems like the biggest difference from last year and this year's D's.

Seems like Casey and Klug both haven't really improved. Casey is still good, but he hasn't made the jump that I was expecting.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the defensive line:

Quote:
The Tennessee defensive line features a mixed bag of run defenders. Snap count leader Kamerion Wimbley (-3.4 run defense) has been disappointing in this regard, but the young duo of Jurrell Casey (+4.8 run def) and Derrick Morgan (+2.6 run def) have been stellar. Morgan leads all 4-3 defensive ends with a Run Stop Percentage of 11.5, and Casey is not far off that mark with 9.1, good for seventh among defensive tackles. Caseyís fellow sophomore, Karl Klug, has been lackluster against the run so far, registering only an assist and a missed tackle on the stat sheet. The Titanís ability to penetrate the line and redirect runs will be paramount their chances to shut down Peterson.

Quote:
Listed technically as a linebacker last season with Oakland, Wimbley played 56% of his snaps with his hand in the dirt. Thatís changed dramatically with the Titans this year, as the newly labeled defensive end has played all but one snap on the right side of the defensive line. With the change of position has come a change of responsibility. Tennessee hasnít made him play nearly as often in coverage ó three snaps so far this year, compared to 421 in 2011. Wimbley has been somewhat inconsistent, recording two or fewer disruptions in 10 of his last 18 games. But the former first-rounder is more than capable of taking over a game, as evidenced by his nine disruptions (and drawing a holding call) against San Diego in Week 2.

Shutting down Wimbley will be the responsibility of fourth overall pick Matt Kalil. The rookie has yet to give up a sack in his young NFL career, and has surrendered only five disruptions to opposing pass rushers. With this stiff test ahead of him, Wimbleyís best chance for a sack will likely come by not giving up on plays. Three of Christian Ponderís sacks have been the result of his propensity to hold onto the ball longer than he should.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/05/3tfo-titans-vikings-week-5/

Quote:
Casey Provides a Bright Spot

If there was something Titans fans could be happy about on Sunday, it was the work of defensive tackle Jurrell Casey (+4.2). He may not have contributed much as a pass rusher (a single hurry on 22 pass rushes) but he had a very good game against the run. With two tackles for loss, including one to force a punt on 3rd-and-4 with 4:11 left in the first half where he blew past right guard Ben Jones, Casey did the best he could to get the Titansí offense back on the field. With three defensive stops on 24 snaps against the run, Casey finished the game with a Run Stop Percentage of 12.5%. Was it enough to make up for a one-sided divisional loss? Absolutely not, but Casey has followed up an impressive rookie campaign with a solid start to his sophomore season, something that will definitely please the coaching staff in Tennessee.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/01/refo-titans-texans-week-4/
JerseyTitan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Thanks TitansLegend, it would be great if you could keep posting interesting stats like that weekly from PFF, etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: