Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AJ Green - First 20 games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: AJ Green - First 20 games Reply with quote

This gem from 'bengals.com'

That's some pretty heady company right there.......

FIRST 20 GAMES CATCHES/ YDS/ AVG/ TD

A.J. Green, CIN 97/ 1,532/ 15.8/ 10

Larry Fitzgerald, ARI 85/ 1,148/ 13.5/ 10

Andre Johnson, HOU 83/ 1,331/ 16.1/ 6

Jerry Rice, SF 71/ 1,303/ 18.4/ 4

Calvin Johnson, DET 71/ 1,113/ 15.7/ 7

Roddy White, ATL 35/ 495/ 14.1/ 3

Is AJ that good ?????? People often compare AJ to Randy Moss, here's Randy's numbers for his first amazing 20 games.......

Randy Moss, MIN 82/ 1,452/ 17.7/ 20

I'll hold my hands up here and admit to wanting Patrick Peterson......
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted AJ badly, but if we gone Peterson, I would not have been too upset.

AJ was a beast in the strongest college conference in the NCAAs. No reason to think he wouldn't continue that trend here. And thank goodness that Hobson was wrong about us wanting Julio Jones more. I might have jumped off of a tall building on that one.
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:

AJ was a beast in the strongest college conference in the NCAAs. No reason to think he wouldn't continue that trend here. And thank goodness that Hobson was wrong about us wanting Julio Jones more. I might have jumped off of a tall building on that one.

Not that he's been bad or anything, but it does seem like he's going to be battling soft tissue injuries his whole career ala Miles Austin (maybe not as bad though). AJ is definitely more consistent.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:

What I find interesting is that 2 x high draft picks were spent on Simpson and Caldwell, who by concensus were not successful; but then we seem to have hit a home-run on AJ; Sanu and Jones look pretty useful and we've pulled-in other good looking young guys in Binns, Tate and Hawkins. Famine to Feast.

Perhaps were better now at talent spotting than when Bratkowski was here ?
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

What I find interesting is that 2 x high draft picks were spent on Simpson and Caldwell, who by concensus were not successful; but then we seem to have hit a home-run on AJ; Sanu and Jones look pretty useful and we've pulled-in other good looking young guys in Binns, Tate and Hawkins. Famine to Feast.

I think Gruden is just better at making use of the young guys abilities. Brat's offense was the same every year, even the years where they shifted to a run focus. The offense was the same, he just called more running plays.

From last year to this year, i've seen a big difference in philosophies from Gruden. Went from short passing game and power run last year to more of a downfield attack and power running game this year. It's working out well because it fits the abilities of the players.

LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
AJ is definitely more consistent.

........and just named AFC Offensive player of the month........
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

I think Gruden is just better at making use of the young guys abilities. Brat's offense was the same every year, even the years where they shifted to a run focus. The offense was the same, he just called more running plays.

From last year to this year, i've seen a big difference in philosophies from Gruden. Went from short passing game and power run last year to more of a downfield attack and power running game this year. It's working out well because it fits the abilities of the players.

This x5. What drove me crazy about Bratkowski was his inability to find players that fit what he wanted to do. Instead, he tried to take players, regardless of strength, and fit them into our scheme.

Bratkowski can find talent. He found two WRs from Oregon State who did quite well for us, but were seen as lower round picks by other teams.

He just stinks at finding players who do wahat he wants them to do (strength-wise). If you want to find a player to fit a circle, find a circle. Don't shove a square peg into it and expect it to work. Mike Brown did the same tjhing for years too, BTW.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine what he could do if we could get a consistent run game and #2 WR to take some heat off of him. I'd like to see one of our first 4 picks on a RB next year to replace Bernard Scott. I like BJGE, but I like him more in a platoon. Getting Cook healthy next year will help the run game though. I think we are pretty sert otherwise on the oline assuming we resign Smith. I like how Zeitler and Boling are shaping up.

And in these 20 games, didn't he miss 3 games last year?

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
Just imagine what he could do if we could get a consistent run game and #2 WR to take some heat off of him. I'd like to see one of our first 4 picks on a RB next year to replace Bernard Scott. I like BJGE, but I like him more in a platoon. Getting Cook healthy next year will help the run game though. I think we are pretty sert otherwise on the oline assuming we resign Smith. I like how Zeitler and Boling are shaping up.

And in these 20 games, didn't he miss 3 games last year?

He only missed a game and half last year, IIRC.

ThorntonMelon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is much easier to pass in today's NFL than it was when Rice played. So it is really hard to compare stats between players in different eras.

I think that AJ is better than Fitz, Andre Johnson, & Roddy White. I don't think he is as good as Calvin Johnson or the Minnesota Vikings version of Randy Moss.
ThorntonMelon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

The Bengals famously give coaches a great amount of responsibility for scouting and choosing players in the draft. The story goes that Mike Brown deferred to Gruden in selecting Dalton, I wouldnt be surprised if Brat was largely responsible for Simpson (which was not a bad pick) and Caldwell (who was a terrible pick).

The Bengals have drafted as well as any team in the league over the past 3 years. Maybe our current coaching staff has a knack for it.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that Simpson was drafted a bit high because Marvin had personal connections to him. Either way, it was one missed pick. We have been hitting HRs for three or four years now overall. In this division, you have to.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorntonMelon wrote:
The story goes that Mike Brown deferred to Gruden in selecting Dalton,

From what I recall, Mike Brown wanted Ryan Mallett, but the coaches insisted Dalton was the better prospect.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: AJ Green - First 20 games Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
This gem from 'bengals.com'

That's some pretty heady company right there.......

FIRST 20 GAMES CATCHES/ YDS/ AVG/ TD

A.J. Green, CIN 97/ 1,532/ 15.8/ 10

Larry Fitzgerald, ARI 85/ 1,148/ 13.5/ 10

Andre Johnson, HOU 83/ 1,331/ 16.1/ 6

Jerry Rice, SF 71/ 1,303/ 18.4/ 4

Calvin Johnson, DET 71/ 1,113/ 15.7/ 7

Roddy White, ATL 35/ 495/ 14.1/ 3

Is AJ that good ?????? People often compare AJ to Randy Moss, here's Randy's numbers for his first amazing 20 games.......

Randy Moss, MIN 82/ 1,452/ 17.7/ 20

I'll hold my hands up here and admit to wanting Patrick Peterson......

thoughts:

-god what a beast moss was. 20 tds in 20 games Laughing
-green is already footballs best. one day, he may join the superfreaks league
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ThorntonMelon wrote:
The story goes that Mike Brown deferred to Gruden in selecting Dalton,

From what I recall, Mike Brown wanted Ryan Mallett, but the coaches insisted Dalton was the better prospect.

This has been confirmed too. When I met Marv he told me he and the coaches wanted Dalton and Dalton only. The feeling I get is they would've even taken him over Gabbert and Ponder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: