Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

what if?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleBrowns07 wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
DawgX wrote:
I like him, but he'd probably want the Browns to have a 3-4 defense and Cleveland's defensive personnel seems better suited for the 4-3. I won't rule it out as a possibility, though.

I love the 4-3 and hope we keep it don't get me wrong. However I don't think the switch to a 3-4 would be incredibly painful for us. Our 4 DTs and Frostee Rucker would make up the d-line. Ahtyba Rubin is such a beast that he would make the d-line work as an NT.

The LBs are what would concern me. DQ is much better in a 4-3. We'd have some nice depth at ILB. However we'd be screwed at the OLB spot. We would have to draft Jarvis Jones with our first pick. Jabaal Sheard would also need to lose about 10 lbs even though he already has 4.6 speed and learn a new position.

Winn would beast as a 3-4 DE

Have you guys forgotten how bad the 3-4 was here last time we tried to run it.

I would rather get kicked in the nuts by a horse than have the Browns go back to a 3-4 D

Have you forgotten we no longer employ most of those awful players who attributed to our awful 3-4? I'm not proposing we make the switch but our roster certainly looks like it could field a pretty good 3-4.

I would still rather take the horse kick to the nuts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
DawgX wrote:
I like him, but he'd probably want the Browns to have a 3-4 defense and Cleveland's defensive personnel seems better suited for the 4-3. I won't rule it out as a possibility, though.

I love the 4-3 and hope we keep it don't get me wrong. However I don't think the switch to a 3-4 would be incredibly painful for us. Our 4 DTs and Frostee Rucker would make up the d-line. Ahtyba Rubin is such a beast that he would make the d-line work as an NT.

The LBs are what would concern me. DQ is much better in a 4-3. We'd have some nice depth at ILB. However we'd be screwed at the OLB spot. We would have to draft Jarvis Jones with our first pick. Jabaal Sheard would also need to lose about 10 lbs even though he already has 4.6 speed and learn a new position.

Winn would beast as a 3-4 DE

Have you guys forgotten how bad the 3-4 was here last time we tried to run it.

I would rather get kicked in the nuts by a horse than have the Browns go back to a 3-4 D

Have you forgotten we no longer employ most of those awful players who attributed to our awful 3-4? I'm not proposing we make the switch but our roster certainly looks like it could field a pretty good 3-4.

I would still rather take the horse kick to the nuts.

must be the cultural differences

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
DawgX wrote:

I agree about the defensive line. Cleveland could actually have an excellent defensive line in the 3-4 scheme. Rubin would be the nose tackle and he's proven to be a good one in the past. Taylor and Hughes could play nose tackle as well. Taylor and either Winn or Hughes would start at DE with Rucker being a backup. Cleveland would have good starters all along the defensive line and would have good depth as well.

Sheard is better suited as a defensive end in the 4-3, but I imagine he could play outside linebacker in the 3-4. Robertson, Fort and JMJ could possibly play ILB, but I'm not sure how good they'd be. The biggest problem from switching to the 3-4 would be D'Qwell Jackson, who was maybe above average in the 3-4 but is arguably elite in the 4-3.

Point is kind of moot since I don't see a switch to the 3-4 happening.

Adopt-a-Brown: Alex Mack

DawgX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the question about taking Geno Smith if he were available... I'm not sure if I'd want them to. If Heckert is still the GM, then there's about no chance of it happening. However, if a new GM is brought in, then it's possible. If Weeden continues to play well, then it would be harder to draft Smith. Still, I wouldn't complain if he was the pick simply because I think he could be a great quarterback in the NFL. I like Weeden, but I think Smith has the talent to become an elite quarterback at the next level.

Ideally, the Browns either draft Smith and they have two talented quarterbacks on the roster so there's a good chance at least one of them pans out. Weeden would start during Smith's rookie year and possibly longer depending on how Weeden plays. Then the Browns could possibly trade one of them a year or two later and get more in return than what they spent. If the Browns don't draft Smith but he's still available when they're on the clock, then do what the Rams did and trade the pick to the highest bidder. If Smith isn't available but Barkley is, the Browns could still likely get a lot in a trade.

CleBrowns07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys really think Taylor is suited for 3-4 DE? I figured he'd be an ideal NT along with Rubin. Let Rucker, Winn, and Hughes battle for the DE spots.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleBrowns07 wrote:
Do you guys really think Taylor is suited for 3-4 DE? I figured he'd be an ideal NT along with Rubin. Let Rucker, Winn, and Hughes battle for the DE spots.

Phil Taylor needs to attack. I would use him at end. His strength is blowing things up and crashing the pocket, Rubin is better at holding the point of attack and playing disciplined. I would use him at strongside end the way the Ravens use Ngata and Texans use Watt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:

Phil Taylor needs to attack. I would use him at end. His strength is blowing things up and crashing the pocket, Rubin is better at holding the point of attack and playing disciplined. I would use him at strongside end the way the Ravens use Ngata and Texans use Watt.

Yup

Just because Taylor is massive doesn't mean he should just be a NT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord can we not go back to the 3-4? We have a good defense, why blow it up?
bulldog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Good lord can we not go back to the 3-4? We have a good defense, why blow it up?

I agree. We are one Clowney away from having a great great defense.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:

He is exactly who we need I almost wanna say shelf the rde draft pick this year and try to get him next year

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

bulldog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:

He is exactly who we need I almost wanna say shelf the rde draft pick this year and try to get him next year

Could be very interesting if we decide to trade down this year and gather some picks in next years draft...
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we simply had Haden in there our d would improve by 200%. Haden makes everyone else better.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
DawgX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:

I wouldn't be opposed to try and wait for Clowney in 2014, especially because there's not that many defensive end prospects in the 2013 draft class that impress me. Thing is, I hope the Browns aren't in position to draft Clowney in 2014 since I imagine he'll be a top five pick. Maybe if they do a good job at addressing their needs this coming offseason, they could then afford to trade up in the 2014 draft for Clowney.

Imagine a defense like this...

DE: Clowney, Rucker
DT: Rubin, Hughes
DT: Taylor, Winn
DE: Sheard, Benard/Parker/Stephens?

SLB: Jones, Gocong/JMJ
MLB: Jackson, Carder?
WLB: Robertson, Fort, JMJ

CB: Haden, FA/draft pick/Skrine, Patterson, Wade
FS: Byrd? (If Jauron is still around, Byrd might want to reunite with his former head coach)
SS: Ward

BocaRatonBrown1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Geno Smith plays like he has the rest of the season he is going to get the franchise QB sure thing trade value. Watched him play last night & he had pressure in his face like crazy. He did get several short passes that went for long yards & that made his stats look better than what it looked like. Overall he looked very good & yes looked human when Jeffcoat was bringing the pressure. I say we take the trade & plug the other holes at OLB, FS, DB, RG, & LG. We would certainly be able to fix this team with 3 1st & 2 2nds like Rams got for RG3.

Also for Coach Kevin Gilbride is the name I want to throw in the hat. He plays in our type of weather and faces our type of AFC North defense.

We won't get Gruden & the Chin is not coming to Cleveland. Unless Holmgren decides to exercise his option & return the team as HC we will end up with a coordinator.

2013 NFL draft looks to be one of the worst in many years. There are very good depth at positions we need which is a good thing OLB DE FS & any draft has Gs who can start. But nobody earth shattering @ DB, HB, LT, TE, RT, WR, & other than Geno Smith & Barkley the QB value is not there. The really high rated DE in this draft are all borderline 3/4 OLB.

Delmas would cost us $8m & I don't like the idea of paying somebody that much at that position.

I am not convinced we will end up with the worst record. We been in every game & the team looks like it could get traction & catch on fire any point in time.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BocaRatonBrown1 wrote:
If Geno Smith plays like he has the rest of the season he is going to get the franchise QB sure thing trade value. Watched him play last night & he had pressure in his face like crazy. He did get several short passes that went for long yards & that made his stats look better than what it looked like. Overall he looked very good & yes looked human when Jeffcoat was bringing the pressure. I say we take the trade & plug the other holes at OLB, FS, DB, RG, & LG. We would certainly be able to fix this team with 3 1st & 2 2nds like Rams got for RG3.

Also for Coach Kevin Gilbride is the name I want to throw in the hat. He plays in our type of weather and faces our type of AFC North defense.

We won't get Gruden & the Chin is not coming to Cleveland. Unless Holmgren decides to exercise his option & return the team as HC we will end up with a coordinator.

2013 NFL draft looks to be one of the worst in many years. There are very good depth at positions we need which is a good thing OLB DE FS & any draft has Gs who can start. But nobody earth shattering @ DB, HB, LT, TE, RT, WR, & other than Geno Smith & Barkley the QB value is not there. The really high rated DE in this draft are all borderline 3/4 OLB.

Delmas would cost us $8m & I don't like the idea of paying somebody that much at that position.

I am not convinced we will end up with the worst record. We been in every game & the team looks like it could get traction & catch on fire any point in
time.

Please just say no to gilbride

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: