Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reviewing draft after 4 weeks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick49er wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
Nick49er wrote:
4evera9er wrote:
Do we really need another thread like this? I'm not hating on you but we saw where the last version of this conversation went.

I know you're talking about other things too but it might be better to start discussing last years draft class instead of this one (much like you did in the second paragraph).

We have taken guys at positions in the draft where we felt there was a stronger chance of a true star down the line as opposed to plugging in a decent rookie straight off the bat. And, until either of them get any/significant play time it's really not that worthy of discussion tbh.

You have a point..... but i dont see them contributing at all this year and even if used next year....i dont see them contributing much because we already have good young players in those positions... How far down the line are we drafting for thats all im saying....

Joe Staley is 28 (and signed through 2017), Anthony Davis turns 23 next week (and signed through 2014), and Alex Boone is the backup tackle (25, and signed through 2015)...how much longer would it be until Cordy Glenn saw the field?

Have you heard of injuries....he would be next in line meaning if an injury occured to any of the above players he would be starting....he wouldnt be behind 4-5 guys.....thats my point.

Anyway its just a thought....but i personally think we should have drafted O-line help or DE,S, AND CB help before an RB in the second.

Cordy Glenn would only start due to 2 tackle injuries. Alex Boone is still the top backup tackle. So it would take 2 injuries for him to see starting time. If Crabtree and Manningham were to be injured, you don't think Jenkins would see the field? Or same with Gore/Hunter for James? Also what do you think is more likely to happen - Alex Boone or Anthony Davis (each never missed a game due to injury in their careers) getting injured, or Frank Gore/Brandon Jacobs/Kendall Hunter getting injured?

Tackle wasn't a need. Would a backup somewhere be preferred? Absolutely. Did it need to be a first or second rounder? No. What was our biggest need this year? Playmakers. Did we draft two players to fulfill that need down the road when the free agents we signed this year are no longer with us? Yes.

So again, even factoring in injuries, I'm not sure where that need exists. Even look at the other positions you listed. Justin Smith has never missed a game due to injury. Ray McDonald has rarely missed as well. Was there even anyone drafted in the first two rounds that would fit our brand of D-Line play? DE in 3-4, DT in passing downs?

CB - How would this be any better? Who could we have drafted that would not have been immediately behind Rogers, Brown, Culliver, and perhaps even Cox? Don't assume the coaches would have placed them higher than Cox, as Jenkins and James certainly didn't get guaranteed placement.

S - In terms of injury, this is a position where you may in fact have a point in that they'd get playing time. At the same time, however, Goldson hasn't missed a start since 2008 (due to injury), and Whitner hasn't since 2009.

Looking at all things considered, was drafting a WR (considering Moss is aging, out of the league over a year, unsuccessful in his most recent season/Ginn missed games due to injury in the last 3 seasons/Williams and his obvious problems/Crabtree and his foot and never being a 1000 yard receiver/Manningham never being a 1000 yard receiver) and a RB (Gore always playing through or missing games due to injury/Jacobs never playing a full season/Hunter being relatively unproven/Dixon being nothing more than a special teams player) really that surprising?

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 28th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 178
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 872
sbrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Nick49er wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
Nick49er wrote:
4evera9er wrote:
Do we really need another thread like this? I'm not hating on you but we saw where the last version of this conversation went.

I know you're talking about other things too but it might be better to start discussing last years draft class instead of this one (much like you did in the second paragraph).

We have taken guys at positions in the draft where we felt there was a stronger chance of a true star down the line as opposed to plugging in a decent rookie straight off the bat. And, until either of them get any/significant play time it's really not that worthy of discussion tbh.

You have a point..... but i dont see them contributing at all this year and even if used next year....i dont see them contributing much because we already have good young players in those positions... How far down the line are we drafting for thats all im saying....

Joe Staley is 28 (and signed through 2017), Anthony Davis turns 23 next week (and signed through 2014), and Alex Boone is the backup tackle (25, and signed through 2015)...how much longer would it be until Cordy Glenn saw the field?

Have you heard of injuries....he would be next in line meaning if an injury occured to any of the above players he would be starting....he wouldnt be behind 4-5 guys.....thats my point.

Anyway its just a thought....but i personally think we should have drafted O-line help or DE,S, AND CB help before an RB in the second.

Cordy Glenn would only start due to 2 tackle injuries. Alex Boone is still the top backup tackle. So it would take 2 injuries for him to see starting time. If Crabtree and Manningham were to be injured, you don't think Jenkins would see the field? Or same with Gore/Hunter for James? Also what do you think is more likely to happen - Alex Boone or Anthony Davis (each never missed a game due to injury in their careers) getting injured, or Frank Gore/Brandon Jacobs/Kendall Hunter getting injured?

Tackle wasn't a need. Would a backup somewhere be preferred? Absolutely. Did it need to be a first or second rounder? No. What was our biggest need this year? Playmakers. Did we draft two players to fulfill that need down the road when the free agents we signed this year are no longer with us? Yes.

So again, even factoring in injuries, I'm not sure where that need exists. Even look at the other positions you listed. Justin Smith has never missed a game due to injury. Ray McDonald has rarely missed as well. Was there even anyone drafted in the first two rounds that would fit our brand of D-Line play? DE in 3-4, DT in passing downs?

CB - How would this be any better? Who could we have drafted that would not have been immediately behind Rogers, Brown, Culliver, and perhaps even Cox? Don't assume the coaches would have placed them higher than Cox, as Jenkins and James certainly didn't get guaranteed placement.

S - In terms of injury, this is a position where you may in fact have a point in that they'd get playing time. At the same time, however, Goldson hasn't missed a start since 2008 (due to injury), and Whitner hasn't since 2009.

Looking at all things considered, was drafting a WR (considering Moss is aging, out of the league over a year, unsuccessful in his most recent season/Ginn missed games due to injury in the last 3 seasons/Williams and his obvious problems/Crabtree and his foot and never being a 1000 yard receiver/Manningham never being a 1000 yard receiver) and a RB (Gore always playing through or missing games due to injury/Jacobs never playing a full season/Hunter being relatively unproven/Dixon being nothing more than a special teams player) really that surprising?

I dont agree with your sig. Am I the only one here who like delaine?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:

I dont agree with your sig. Am I the only one here who like delaine?

I like Walker, but not enough to rely on him as our TE2. He is a great athlete but has very unreliable hands and is inconsistent.

-kiltman
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
I don't agree with your sig. Am I the only one here who like delaine?

Possibly. I'm not a fan of him at all, he's been a liability when he's on the field. He'll have a good play or two, but then he'll have a few boneheaded one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
sbrown wrote:

Possibly. I'm not a fan of him at all, he's been a liability when he's on the field. He'll have a good play or two, but then he'll have a few boneheaded one.

Yeh I know you dont like him. I think he adds a good dynamic to our O. But i do believe he lost confidence and concentration with catching the ball.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
sbrown wrote:

Yeh I know you dont like him. I think he adds a good dynamic to our O. But i do believe he lost confidence and concentration with catching the ball.

Yes, his ball skills have definitely taken a turn for the worse. He seems lost at times as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
I didn't read the topic, but if I were to guess what we draft this year it's going to be D-line. Specifically DE and NT. Both Justin and Sopo are getting long in the teeth and it's time to start grooming some youngsters.

I'd love Jesse Williams from Bama on our team! Australia represent Laughing
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
sbrown wrote:

If he wants to re-sign, I'd still like to get a better TE. Delanie would be the perfect 3rd TE, and H-Back, back-up fullback. I'd have even more plays designed for him in that role. But as a TE2, he's a waste of opportunities.

I'd have a few designed runs for him (reverse type of things), and I'd even like to see get a screen pass.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4evera9er wrote:
John232 wrote:
I didn't read the topic, but if I were to guess what we draft this year it's going to be D-line. Specifically DE and NT. Both Justin and Sopo are getting long in the teeth and it's time to start grooming some youngsters.

Nah, the German on FSU's DL--has got an awesome name, too: Bjoern, I think it is (very similar to the skinchanger in the Hobbit who actually was the key to winning the Battle of Five Armies...literary trivia for you, I am certain you are grateful! Razz ).
sbrown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
4evera9er wrote:
John232 wrote:

Nah, the German on FSU's DL--has got an awesome name, too: Bjoern, I think it is (very similar to the skinchanger in the Hobbit who actually was the key to winning the Battle of Five Armies...literary trivia for you, I am certain you are grateful! Razz ).

I love that pick because im a FSU fan but I have no idea what you are talking about in your analogy Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with you rudy on delanie. hes not cutting it as a te2. but as that hback, i think thats the perfect spot for him with the play calling like you suggested

and yeah im the bjoern werner bangwagon! trade up in the first, have him learn behind justin. gain some good weight and muscle. he has the quickness move, justin just needs to show him the ropes in the weight room and the bullrush... Think

(***salivating smiley- oldmans special)

damn, its early but i think i wanna do a mock draft.
would be interesting to see when april comes around if ANY of my favorite guys would even be in the discussion haha

new sig... sorry alex
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrison Smith would have been a pretty good addition here Cool

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
i agree with you rudy on delanie. hes not cutting it as a te2. but as that hback, i think thats the perfect spot for him with the play calling like you suggested

and yeah im the bjoern werner bangwagon! trade up in the first, have him learn behind justin. gain some good weight and muscle. he has the quickness move, justin just needs to show him the ropes in the weight room and the bullrush... Think

(***salivating smiley- oldmans special)

damn, its early but i think i wanna do a mock draft.
would be interesting to see when april comes around if ANY of my favorite guys would even be in the discussion haha

Ehhhh... Converting him to a 34 de would have been a good idea a year ago when he was playing around 280 lbs, but he slimmed down to 255 this year to gain that extra explosiveness and its worked out great for him. At this point, i think he's strictly an OLB in our scheme.

Anybody been watching Notre Dame lately? They got a sophmore named Stephon Tuitt who looks like the next Richard Seymour. He's not eligible till the year after next, but he's my favorite 34 de prospect in college right now. He could have a JJ Watt type impact.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:

Anybody been watching Notre Dame lately? They got a sophmore named Stephon Tuitt who looks like the next Richard Seymour. He's not eligible till the year after next, but he's my favorite 34 de prospect in college right now. He could have a JJ Watt type impact.

The question is who is a really good prospect this year as I'm thinking this year will be a year for us to target d-line.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michigan state has gholsten.
Purdue has short.

There's a really raw guy at smu. Who was a shotput/discus star and in the Olympics. Can't think of his name. But I heard he's crazy strong and fast. Reall raw but the high potential kind of guy we look for

new sig... sorry alex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: