Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Turnovers - Or A Lack Thereof

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Turnovers - Or A Lack Thereof Reply with quote

So, even with all the additions to the secondary, the team has not been able to generate a large amount of turnovers to this point in the season. As a matter of fact...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/

Quote:
*The Cowboys are on pace for 12 takeaways this season. Chicago already has 14. Atlanta has 12. New England has 11. Arizona has 10. The Cowboys have a Lee interception and fumble recoveries from Church and Victor Butler. I wonder why the Cowboys just can't seem to take the ball away from the other team. They practice it over and over. The coaches emphasize it in drills. And it rarely happens. The generalization is that turnovers come in bunches. Once you get one, it becomes a feeding frenzy. In the first 10 games last year, the Cowboys had 23 takeaways, including four against New England and Buffalo each. In the last 10 games, the Cowboys have seven takeaways and have not had a multiple takeaway game during that span.

I remember this being a problem during the Phillips era as well. So what is it? Why can't we seem to generate turnovers, even after spending so much time targeting that area in the off-season?

^^^mack
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to *almost* get there seemingly every game. Church was about 2 inches short of coming away with a pick. Carter should have had one against the Redskins. Mo came within a fraction of a second from getting a strip-fumble.

It appears we are looking for it - jumping the routes. Just not executing well enough.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
We seem to *almost* get there seemingly every game. Church was about 2 inches short of coming away with a pick. Carter should have had one against the Redskins. Mo came within a fraction of a second from getting a strip-fumble.

It appears we are looking for it - jumping the routes. Just not executing well enough.

There's that word again...execution. Hopefully it's something we can correct after the bye week.

Claiborne returning a Flacco interception for a TD sure would be nice...

^^^mack
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think turnovers are pretty fluky. A lot of teams have serious fluctuation with them from year to year (namely the Saints, who led the league in takeaways in their Super Bowl year and fell to last the year after). Particularly with fumbles, coaches will say that it's about "wanting it more", but I think it's just the way the ball bounces.

It does seem to be a perpetual issue with this team, but of their myriad of problems this is one that I wouldn't get worked up about.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the teams that create turnovers and look at their defensive lines. Compare their defensive lines to the cowboys. Therein lies the answer. The boys only have one player who consistently pressures the QB. We get little to no inside pressure and we still lack in the safety department.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Look at the teams that create turnovers and look at their defensive lines. Compare their defensive lines to the cowboys. Therein lies the answer. The boys only have one player who consistently pressures the QB. We get little to no inside pressure and we still lack in the safety department.

That's a good observation. Maybe once Crawford gets more comfortable in the system, we'll see some improvement in the pass rush.

It's also a big reason why I'd love to see John Jenkins or Lotulelei (if he fell) come here.

^^^mack
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Jerry's fault - I'm kidding. Sorry I couldn't resist. For years we have been searching for a compliment to Ware to help us get pressure. We are not there yet. Need to see some improvement from the DLine and then I think you will see pressure helping to create turnovers.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:

Gee, and I thought a DB would solve those problems, Slam. People assured me that it would because coverage sacks matter. d'oh!

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we think of Bill Walsh we think of one of the all time great offensive minds. Yet Walsh said that the key to winning in the NFL is a strong pass rush in the fourth quarter. We know what a strong rush can do: put pressure on the QB, force some bad decisions and create turnovers.

Last years champs the Giants didn't exactly have a secondary that was filled with household names. What they had was a D Line that became dominant and was an integral component of their Superbowl run.

I don't think we have figured out the importance of line play yet be it defensive or offensive. Yet strength in the trenches can overcome a lot of sins.
be WARE94

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
When we think of Bill Walsh we think of one of the all time great offensive minds. Yet Walsh said that the key to winning in the NFL is a strong pass rush in the fourth quarter. We know what a strong rush can do: put pressure on the QB, force some bad decisions and create turnovers.

Last years champs the Giants didn't exactly have a secondary that was filled with household names. What they had was a D Line that became dominant and was an integral component of their Superbowl run.

I don't think we have figured out the importance of line play yet be it defensive or offensive. Yet strength in the trenches can overcome a lot of sins.

this.....we need pressure up the middle.....big time.....demarcus ware is the only guy opposing teams fear from a pass rushing standpoint......we have ware on the rush lee at linebacker and if claiborne can turn into the playmaker we drafted him to be we will have a play maker at each level....we really just need respectable safeties and more rush from the interior and we can get there.....hopefully getting ratliff back can help with the rush up the middle for now but we may still be another off season away from a potentially dominant defense

[quote="Tzimisce"]Was Romo playing sarcastaball?
Plat wrote:
"]i swear this guy be trolling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: