Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Re-Posting: Dallas' Defence Against the Bears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Re-Posting: Dallas' Defence Against the Bears Reply with quote

As posted by Hawksrealm:

Quote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
I post at another site where Bob Sturm puts up all his articles on the Cowboys. He has been asked, why being a GB fan does he write about the Cowboys. I'll quote Bob " its simple they pay me to cover the Cowboys and I'm just a GB fan. But covering the Cowboys my feelings don't enter into what I write. I watch their games a minimum of 3 times before I do my reporting".
This is a good article so I thought I'd share it.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/10/05/12/Cowboys-defense-for-Cutler-did-not-go-to/landing_cowboys.html?blockID=800561&feedID=10194

Let's please try to just focus on the article and the points that Sturm makes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the 'c' in defence. This is now a higher breed of topic, one mandated from on high (and up north). Bring your A game gents.

For me, this article serves as a solid, hard reminder that no matter how often you hear someone say, "coaches coach and players play," that many times it comes down to the QB vs the tendencies of a DC. As bright and talented as Sean Lee is, due to the sheer complexity of Ryan's D it must be hard to check to many different D's depending on situation. And Cutler found ways to adjust against what Ryan sent out there. As much as being "multiple" or having "multiplicity" is all the rage in the NFL these days, there's something to be said for keeping a basic set with good practice reps and fundamentals. Maybe the Cowboys cut back on the crazy stuff just a bit coming out of the bye. The D is certainly talented enough where they should be able to make plays without heavy scheming. By no means should Rob change his stripes, but some moderation may be in order.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 explosives or not, the offense lost this game. 5 int's doesn't help the defense at all. Especially when 2 are returned for TDs. I thought the Defense played well in this game.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two things to take from the article:

1. That the Boys' pass rush, as mentioned in the previous thread, is anemic outside of Ware. Without a pass rush, it's difficult to force QBs, including QBs like Cutler, into mistakes.

2. The Boys need to work on their blitzes - from better disguising it to getting to the QB sooner. No team should have the degree of success the Bears had last week when the Boys were blitzing.

I do agree with Ace's take that moderation and patience are needed. However, I can also understand why Ryan became more aggressive with his playcalling since the offence was struggling and he was trying to find a way to force some turnovers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What jumps out at me is, the defense really didn't do all that badly. Every db is going to get beat from time to time.

The injuries effected us, our inability due to injuries doesn't allow for many substitutions. When you are turning the ball over 5 times the defense simply is being worn down.

When I look at the league as a whole, I think its easy to figure out teams with injuries are doing poorly all over the NFL.

Our O-line simply is a work in progress, young guys who learn something new every game. Its not like we have a whole lot of 10 yrs vets on the line we can rely on. We have a long haul ahead of us, after the bye. This season simply will come down to which team has the last good players standing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: