Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quarter Way Thur and the Top +/- so far?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kampman74

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Quarter Way Thur and the Top +/- so far? Reply with quote

What do you guys see as the biggest problems, concerns, and what the heck isn't all doom and gloom, what are also the brightest spots so far? Guys you think are going to be studs down the road and also guys who might not be here next year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+

defense as a whole
running game
special teams

-
middle of the secondary. while we looked good the 1st 3 games, brees shredded us a new one. good thing we don't play brees every week

-play calling. while i think the play calling is WAY better this year, there are some OBVIOUS play calls, still being called that, imo, shouldn't

-offense.... i'm not worried about it, we'll get back to top form by next game. but ya, not so far

players

+jerron mcmillian, seems to me, he's always near the ball, and is a hawk
+shields playing WAY better
+tramon
+walden
+raji, i think he's doing better, but still not like 2010
+matthews

+cobb. omg. what a fricking BAMF
+saturday. our only linemen NOT getting killed

-woodson, i feel like he is invisible on the field
-dj smith, way better than i thought he'd be, but still a drop next to bishop, maybe because of hawks play...not sure, i'm not great at judging LB's
Bucks
Badgers
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secondary will continue to get torched. Hopefully House provides a spark when he comes back.

XBL: ShiiNyIV
chucknorris101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
Secondary will continue to get torched. Hopefully House provides a spark when he comes back.

Personnel has hardly anything to do with our struggles. He is the same mold as the rest, there wont be a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
+
running game
What the hell are you watching?
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
+
running game

The running game, aside from week 1, has looked better than last year when used. Benson has looked like a competent RB too.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
justo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
justo wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
+
running game

The running game, aside from week 1, has looked better than last year when used. Benson has looked like a competent RB too.

I still wouldn't contemplate it as a plus though...I agree on Benson but we haven't run the ball down anyone's throat by any means
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
justo wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
+
running game

I still wouldn't contemplate it as a plus though...I agree on Benson but we haven't run the ball down anyone's throat by any means

No, but I put that on McCarthy somewhat. I still would list it as a + just because it's improved from what we normally see.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
snackattack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positives

Rookies: We've seen a little bit out of Perry, a little more out of Worthy and a hell of a lot out of the two DBs. While McMillon has shown up in flashier style, I think Hayward is my favorite rookie so far. And how can you not love Moses?!?

Cobb: Love this guy; he's gonna be a big part of our future.

AJ Hawk: Is it just me or does Hawk look better than he ever has in green and gold? From what I can see he is flying around making tackles and guys aren't really falling over him for positive yardage as I've seem a lot in the past.

Tramon & Shields: Both look much closer to 2010 form than 2011. Hope they can keep it up.

Defensive Play Calling: Seems like we're mixing it up more and it has been pretty successful. Say what you want about Bree getting all those yards, but we had a few very nice red zone stops AND get the ball back to Rodgers for the end of the game.

OLBs: Clay is Clay and Walden has actually looked pretty disruptive at times

Negatives

Offensive Play Calling: Seems like the teams we've played so far have had a pretty good sense of what we're going for- especially on deep routes. The explosiveness hasn't been there and I'd like to see a little more dink and dunk or checking down from Rodgers just to shake things up.

Newhouse: Confused The line in general hasn't been great. Hoping Sherrod can turn it on when he gets his chance.

Seems like too many positives for being 2-2, but I like this squad and I don't mind having to chase the division leader from a game or two back this early in the season. We know the pieces are there on this team and it's all about getting hot a the right time.
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snackattack wrote:
Rookies: We've seen a little bit out of Perry, a little more out of Worthy and a hell of a lot out of the two DBs. While McMillon has shown up in flashier style, I think Hayward is my favorite rookie so far. And how can you not love Moses?!?

I definitely agree. I rexpected Perry to take a bit to develop and I'm happy with what I've seen so far, for sure. Worthy has impressed me. He'll have his growing pains, I'm sure, but if he keeps up the effort level, he's going to be a good one. Hayward too, he really could be something special in this defense if it all fully clicks. McMillan plays fast and that's a plus, but he's pretty raw.

snackattack wrote:
AJ Hawk: Is it just me or does Hawk look better than he ever has in green and gold? From what I can see he is flying around making tackles and guys aren't really falling over him for positive yardage as I've seem a lot in the past.

Hawk has been playing downright NASTY! I think he always has been a solid enough LB to merit his spot, but this year he is just playing so much faster and meaner than he has before. He's always been a bit more passive, and it almost seems like Clay has rubbed off on him.

snackattack wrote:
Seems like too many positives for being 2-2

In my mind, we're 3-1. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
justo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 cents.

+

Benson's starting burst. It's something our guys really haven't had the past couple of years. I saw it in the preseason and was really surprised because almost all the Bengals fans I talked to said that his legs were pretty much dead at this point. First game of the year=had little to no burst and I sold all my Benson stock. Time for me to eat some crow. We really need to step up the run game as a team though.

Rodgers' running/not getting sacked ability. I feel like every game that Rodgers just decides he's going to be a running threat we do pretty awesome in. It seems like the fight or flight timer in his skull is off this year. I would trade in him not running anymore if he decided to throw some balls a little early so I don't have to worry about him getting a concussion on about every single drop back this year.

Morgan Burnett/all the S's. Woodson/Burnett/McMillian look like a great S rotation as of now. I think McMillian could take over as the starting S right now (yes him, the Walden/Perry/ect rotation would probably be the weak links but so what) and Woodson could play full time CB but I like the way everything is jelling so far. At least when we are playing man....

DA ROOKIES. Worthy is showing some impressive burst as a DL. Dude is rotating at DE and NT which is good on passing downs. Raji won't have to take so much of a beating now. He is a total snap jumper though. Perry is doing solid. I'm pretty disappoint that he's not the full time starter though. Hayward has the talent but he just makes a couple of rookie mistakes. It's good that he can at least work out these mistakes against 4th WRs and such though. McMillian, yeah. I'm warming up to Daniels too after last game...eating crow I am again...

Clay Matthews. God Level.

-

Greg Jennings. Not grilling him for performance, he's been hurt and stuff, I just thought that he would have been a bigger part of the offense and more productive on a contract year. Also anyone thinking that this is going to make Jennings come cheap is wrong IMO. You guys see how much Robinson got by the Jags this offseason? Dude is going to chase mad cash if we don't bring him back.

DJ Smith's coverage. Dude straight up snatched the bad from Hawk last year and channeled it with even more terribad. I was a huge fan of him last year, but I don't see him taking over long term as an ILB anymore. Used to think that he could play Hawk's position maybe, but with Bishop being hurt I think it's almost time for us to add some ILB depth. Hopefully Manning can step up at some point this year and show some flashes, but knowing how sparingly we usually use rookies (I mean....well besides this year) I doubt he even sees the field.

Jermichael. This had been beaten to death but not enough for me to not include him in the grilling.

MD Jennings. Dude isn't good. Dude is hurt too. Dude probably won't have a job once the PUP guys are active.

Plays with Kuhn or Cobb as solo backs. No one respects us as a running team with those two back there. Brightside: since no one respects it the three times Cobb has touched the ball behind the line have all been pretty good IIRC. One was called back which is why he only has two carries.

Jarrett Bush. He was our starting CB the first week guys....if not for special teams I honestly don't even think he would be on the 53 right now...I like him but damn he's in a loaded DB corp.

Play calling. This is for both sides of the ball. McCarthy needs to run more screens or draws. Have we seen a draw all year? Capers shouldn't run dollar anymore either...

Alex Green. Where you at?

Driver. Where you at? Why you drop TD catches in Seattle?

House's shoulder.

Jeff Saturday. Hasn't been looking too great. Average center at a high age and shallow depth behind him. Really think we need to address the center position more than anything else next year.
ECPackers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only - to our running game is the horrible playcalling....

we always run the same play...and then on a 3rd and 2, we'll run some stupid pitch, that never had a chance.

"run up middle, run up middle, pass"

"run up middle, quick WR screen, pitch"

HORRIBLE....yet benson is a little over 3.6 yds per carry...which isn't that bad considering the play calls, the 49ers, and our sputtering offense.
Bucks
Badgers
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heath Miller chooses Clay Matthews for DPOY so far. Interesting.

XBL: ShiiNyIV
justo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
Heath Miller chooses Clay Matthews for DPOY so far. Interesting.
Yeah I don't think so. JJ Watt has to be the DPOY.
svp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I am extremely satisfied with the trick plays.
Not only do they work but I asked for them specifically.

Makes me think I should ask for other things.
Like halftime Hail Marys or Lombardi Sweeps..
but all I can think about is carrot cake. The kind with
coconuts and pineapple and cream cheese frosting...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: