Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Yes, I'm Back
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20347
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Yes, I'm Back Reply with quote

Mods, feel free to lock this immediately should you choose, but I'm going to get this off my chest right here and now.

I'm not back because I was planning on it. I'm quite happy being on the forum with TexasAce and other rational posters who abandoned this forum. I came back because other posters - even ones whom I regularly disagree with - asked me to come back. So I think it's important for me to set the record straight with all of you to perhaps clear up some muddy water:

My posts are not and never were intending to exclusively insult Jerry. As I have shown for nearly a decade, I give credit where credit is due and I give blame where blame is due. Unfortunately, this organization has deserved far more blame than credit due to the poor organizational construction which ultimately works its way down to the poor product on the field, and my posts reflect that.

As I've tried to explain for years, I feel it's more important to address the root cause of a problem, not the symptom of the problem. That's the reason why I left. It wasn't because the posters were too dumb to recognize my 8 years' of contributions to this forum for the eROH. That was simply the straw which broke the camel's back. I've just grown very tired of seeing so many posters go from quality posters to Jerry teat suckers. It's baffling. It's as if they've stopped using their brains and all became drunk on the used car salesman Kool-Aid that Jerry sells. And quite frankly, I got sick of it. Worse yet, what they don't realize is that their myopia is what prompts Slam and I to challenge what they say because the evidence and proof is right on the field and in the organization in front of them. You can't continually apologize for failure and grant people more time only to net the same result for 15 years. Obviously, something is broken, and personnel changes (i.e., coaches and players) clearly aren't netting the desired results.

What too few understand or readily admit is that unless Jerry is removed, none of their other ideas - many of which are very good (especially TO_7's) - will have any influence because Jerry will undermine them every step of the way because he places himself ahead of everyone in the organization, making culture changes impossible. It's like trying to treat a brain tumor with aspirin because one of the side effects of said tumor is a headache. It simply won't work. You'll get some temporary relief, but eventually, the problem will return and ultimately end you.

This is what I've been trying to explain to you. I don't care who our coaches are. I don't care who our players are. It doesn't matter. Because Jerry has made himself the face of the organization, the team has taken on his image, not that of the coach. Jerry has turned a proud organization into a circus of glitz without substance with puppets dancing around him because that makes him a lot of money. He has shown that he cares more about making money than he does winning. Deny it all you want, but why else would he invest more of his time in marketing a team and making commercials for himself than focusing on bringing in guys to help the team win?

This "strategy" also makes Garrett functionally incompetent as a head coach and an even worse offensive coordinator. Even if he was top notch at both, he'd still be ineffective. And it's because the players know that Jerry is ultimately the one with the power, thus undermining and emasculating not only Garrett, but the entire team. This is why I hate Jerry Jones. He makes it impossible for anyone to succeed. If my claims weren't true, then we wouldn't have the same problems each and every year regardless of who coaches us and who plays on the field - mediocre line play, inconsistency on offense, Romo's mental meltdowns, massive penalties, off field nonsense, no leadership, no accountability, no guts, etc. The net results are identical every bloody year; a collection of 5 or 6 very good players and mediocrity everywhere else with no accountability, no leadership, no pride, and no identity, and no interest in having any of those elements. We're always left with a post game and/or mid-week Jerry interview pumping sunshine up our butts while repeating the same nonsense each and every week with no changes in the organizational structure or culture.

Until you guys can objectively see that, then we'll always be at odds. I see the problems at the root. You're only interested in symptoms.

So you want to know why I become angry and condescending with you? It's because you've asked me to be for years and haven't done anything to suggest that I shouldn't be. Now I'm not asking you to take my side and hate the man like I do, but it would be nice if you could appreciate a logical point of view netted in facts and truth, not on a hope.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23799
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned to you via PM, I am glad your back.

You have given up hope. While unfortunate - that's fine. Your entitled to that. You have entered into the realm of the divine comedy. That's fine.

What's frustrating is what there is a discussion to be had - that get's derailed by Jerry. "Who should we draft" "Doesn't matter since Jerry is stupid and will screw it up." Okay, at that point, why should we even discuss anything else aside from Jerry's screw ups?

I am glad your back. But you are an adult. And not everyone here is. There is no reason for you to insult people you don't agree with - and I know deep down you agree. This, was the well thought out post. Great. It is nice to see that. If there is a thread that is generating valuable discussion - and all you feel is that the topic needs to change to just bash Jerry, stop for a second and think if that is in the best interest of the forum. Honestly - a lot of very good points you bring up get dismissed because of all the I-Told-You-So posts.

Your insight is valued. But if you don't have an original thought to a thread, then that is not valuable insight.

I am glad your back. I hope you will stay. But I want the real plan9 - not the one who left with fire and anger.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 26594
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Until you guys can objectively see that, then we'll always be at odds. I see the problems at the root. You're only interested in symptoms.

So you want to know why I become angry and condescending with you? It's because you've asked me to be for years and haven't done anything to suggest that I shouldn't be. Now I'm not asking you to take my side and hate the man like I do, but it would be nice if you could appreciate a logical point of view netted in facts and truth, not on a hope.


plan, I don't see anybody saying Jerry is a great GM.

What I see, is guys hoping that maybe we can win and get better in spite of Jerry. I mean, Jason's first year as a head coach we spent a first round pick, hell a TOP TEN selection on an offensive lineman...something that had never been done before in the Jerry Jones era.

What's wrong with having a little hope in the team you love? Not a damn thing. There's also nothing wrong with your point of view. The thing that seems to rub a lot of guys the wrong way, is when some go into threads and post the same thing over and over without adding anything to the ongoing discussion.

The title of this site is 'FootballsFuture'. The purpose of this site is to discuss your individual team, future players whom your team might draft, and debate team topics respectfully with other members.

I'm glad to have you back, and I know a lot of other guys are as well. We're just hoping you can return to the old days where you'd actually debate with guys instead of insulting. See our conversation last night. You and I may not always see eye to eye, but we can engage in spirited discussion without insult. Is it asking too much to do that with other guys?
_________________

^^^mack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TVScout


Joined: 05 May 2009
Posts: 1550
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big flaw in your argument is Bill Parcells.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8517
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Plan.

In your honour, we can keep this thread as the Jerry Jones bashing thread.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
htfryar


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 10224
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan, the thing is, we pretty much all agree that Jerry is a bad GM. No one is arguing that fact. Those of us who stick up for the way things are going right now are doing so because we feel that Jerry Jones has given Jason Garrett and Stephen Jones mroe power in the football operations.

Last year's pick of Tyron Smith in the 1st round is one example of why many of us feel this way. As you well know, Jerry had never done that before. They alos took Arkin and Nagy. Drafting an OT, an OG and a C/OG in the same year was unheard of. Yes, the knew that Arkin was a project, so not much was expected of him last year. Then, this season, instead of getting to compete at OG, which is what he was drafted for, Arkin had to play Center after Costa, Kowalski and Nagy all got hurt. He missed a lot of valuable time at OG when he had to move to C for the first time in his life. You can hardly blame Jerry, Jason or Stephen for those circumstances. Likewise, how were Jerry, Jason and Stephen supposed to know that Nagy would break his ankle last season and hurt it again this season?

While we are talking about last season, everyone here knows our football team was decent on offense and completely horrible on defense. This year, in free agency and the draft, our team got better on defense. Even a hardcore Jerry Hater like yourself would have to admit that. Yeah, it would have been nice to address the O-line with some quality players, but it wasn't financially feasible to do that in Free Agency. We signed 2 guys in Livings and Burnindeuce. We hit on 1 out of 2. That happens to a lot of teams. Then, in the draft, we went with the BPA in Claiborne instead of this forum's crush, DeCastro. BPA is something that you preach every year, so why is it wrong to do that this year?

With the moves that have been made by Jason, Stephen and Jerry over the last 2 offseasons, many of us think that the Cowboys are on the right path. But, we know that Jerry Jones is still involved, so that path is going to be a rocky road.
_________________


Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20347
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
The big flaw in your argument is Bill Parcells.


I wish that was so, but Jerry even undermined Bill and it cost the team. Jerry's meddling is why Parcells quit. Yes, the game had passed him by. There's no questioning that. And yes, this team had more mental toughness with Parcells here, but we still had many of the same existing problems. Penalties were still an issue, our o-line still sucked, our secondary was still trash, and leadership was still suspect. Those issues weren't as bad with Parcells, but they were still issues.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buckwild


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1907
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Plan, the thing is, we pretty much all agree that Jerry is a bad GM. No one is arguing that fact. Those of us who stick up for the way things are going right now are doing so because we feel that Jerry Jones has given Jason Garrett and Stephen Jones mroe power in the football operations.

Last year's pick of Tyron Smith in the 1st round is one example of why many of us feel this way. As you well know, Jerry had never done that before. They alos took Arkin and Nagy. Drafting an OT, an OG and a C/OG in the same year was unheard of. Yes, the knew that Arkin was a project, so not much was expected of him last year. Then, this season, instead of getting to compete at OG, which is what he was drafted for, Arkin had to play Center after Costa, Kowalski and Nagy all got hurt. He missed a lot of valuable time at OG when he had to move to C for the first time in his life. You can hardly blame Jerry, Jason or Stephen for those circumstances. Likewise, how were Jerry, Jason and Stephen supposed to know that Nagy would break his ankle last season and hurt it again this season?

While we are talking about last season, everyone here knows our football team was decent on offense and completely horrible on defense. This year, in free agency and the draft, our team got better on defense. Even a hardcore Jerry Hater like yourself would have to admit that. Yeah, it would have been nice to address the O-line with some quality players, but it wasn't financially feasible to do that in Free Agency. We signed 2 guys in Livings and Burnindeuce. We hit on 1 out of 2. That happens to a lot of teams. Then, in the draft, we went with the BPA in Claiborne instead of this forum's crush, DeCastro. BPA is something that you preach every year, so why is it wrong to do that this year?

With the moves that have been made by Jason, Stephen and Jerry over the last 2 offseasons, many of us think that the Cowboys are on the right path. But, we know that Jerry Jones is still involved, so that path is going to be a rocky road.


Nicely stated!! Glad to see you back, Plan.
_________________


Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44603
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are you and why should we care?
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20347
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Plan, the thing is, we pretty much all agree that Jerry is a bad GM. No one is arguing that fact. Those of us who stick up for the way things are going right now are doing so because we feel that Jerry Jones has given Jason Garrett and Stephen Jones mroe power in the football operations.


I'm still not a follower of that belief, ht. You know that. I want to believe it, but I still don't.

Quote:
Last year's pick of Tyron Smith in the 1st round is one example of why many of us feel this way. As you well know, Jerry had never done that before. They alos took Arkin and Nagy. Drafting an OT, an OG and a C/OG in the same year was unheard of. Yes, the knew that Arkin was a project, so not much was expected of him last year. Then, this season, instead of getting to compete at OG, which is what he was drafted for, Arkin had to play Center after Costa, Kowalski and Nagy all got hurt. He missed a lot of valuable time at OG when he had to move to C for the first time in his life. You can hardly blame Jerry, Jason or Stephen for those circumstances. Likewise, how were Jerry, Jason and Stephen supposed to know that Nagy would break his ankle last season and hurt it again this season?


All valid points, but you know that I am expressly paranoid with respect to the o-line and d-line. You know that I won't take any risks in those areas, and you also know that if I had my way, I'd have multiple 1st and 2nd round picks invested there because they're the keys to winning games. I want to protect my QB and to protect leads.

Quote:
While we are talking about last season, everyone here knows our football team was decent on offense and completely horrible on defense. This year, in free agency and the draft, our team got better on defense. Even a hardcore Jerry Hater like yourself would have to admit that. Yeah, it would have been nice to address the O-line with some quality players, but it wasn't financially feasible to do that in Free Agency. We signed 2 guys in Livings and Burnindeuce. We hit on 1 out of 2. That happens to a lot of teams. Then, in the draft, we went with the BPA in Claiborne instead of this forum's crush, DeCastro. BPA is something that you preach every year, so why is it wrong to do that this year?


The secondary was an abomination, no doubt. But I argued that Livings and Burnindeuce were JAGs and neither should've prevented us from drafting more o-line. I said it then, and many folks here took potshots at me because we brought in Callahan and his magic game tape of Nick Mangold.

And, I take exception to the notion that we drafted the BPA. We did not. We traded up to draft Claiborne, costing us a second round pick. So what did we give up by doing so? We lost the opportunity to draft more offensive line. Worse yet, we now know that Jerry had no interest in drafting o-line anyway. He was dead set on taking an overrated d-lineman in Brockers and another ILB which we didn't need, thus proving my point that he ignores positions we need and doesn't know what he's doing. That doesn't exactly instill confidence in me.

Quote:
With the moves that have been made by Jason, Stephen and Jerry over the last 2 offseasons, many of us think that the Cowboys are on the right path. But, we know that Jerry Jones is still involved, so that path is going to be a rocky road.


My problem is that the path matters naught since we already know the destination as long as Jerry is involved. It makes the joy and excitement of the path itself moot since it'll end in mediocrity and failure.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 9545
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back amigo.
_________________

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6421
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
Welcome back Plan.

In your honour, we can keep this thread as the Jerry Jones bashing thread.


No. Honor. Leave the "u" in Canada.

Welcome back Plan. Not going to lie, I didn't read that whole thing, but I am glad you came back!
_________________


Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt79511


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3435
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
My problem is that the path matters naught since we already know the destination as long as Jerry is involved. It makes the joy and excitement of the path itself moot since it'll end in mediocrity and failure.


I take it you're no fan of Romeo & Juliet?

Just joshin. Welcome back.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3849
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Plan.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20347
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
My problem is that the path matters naught since we already know the destination as long as Jerry is involved. It makes the joy and excitement of the path itself moot since it'll end in mediocrity and failure.


I take it you're no fan of Romeo & Juliet?

Just joshin. Welcome back.


I have the same interest in that as I have in learning about the Hindenburg and the Titanic.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group