Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coaches/GM's on the hotseat?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
49ersfan


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 6719
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Coaches/GM's on the hotseat? Reply with quote

Which Head Coaches and General Managers are on the hotseat? Here's who i think is on the hotseat...note, just because they're there doesn't mean they WILL get fired, but they need their team to step up to avoid potentially getting fired

GM's

-Scott Pioli. Chiefs look terrible again and you can't blame it on Haley. No alternative whatsoever to Cassel.

-Gene Smith. Picked in the top 10 3 out of the last 4 years. Traded up for Gabbert, team overall struggling and hasn't drafted many, if any gamebreakers.

-Mike Tannebaum. Jets are struggling immensely and have little to no offensive talent. Sanchez pick looking worse.

-Marty Hurney. Cam Newton was a great pick but struggling to find talent elsewhere. Team overall just is not very deep.

-Tom Heckert/Mike Holmgren. They've upgraded their talent base but they still have a complete lack of offensive skill weapons. Defense is solid. Bottomline, Top 10 draft picks each year they've been in power, shaky HC choices with keeping Mangini/hiring Shurmur, and a 10-26 record since taking over lead at least one of these guy's jobs in jeopardy. New ownership has no tie to any of these guys.

Head Coaches

-Crennel. Pioli's choice, retread, team looks overmatched.

-Mike Mularkey. Gene Smith's choice, a retread HC with a losing record in the NFL before coming to the Jaguars. Owner may want his new (hypothetical) GM to have his own choice of a HC.

-Rex Ryan. The Jets are falling apart. I like him but new GM likely means new HC.

-Ron Rivera. He's a defensive guy and they can't stop anyone. If Hurney gets canned he may go with him. Maybe its not fair for a guy who just got signed for a rebuilding project to be let go so soon, but i could see it happening regardless.

-Pat Shurmur. New ownership and struggling to win will put on the hotseat.

-Mike Munchak. The Titans are one of the worst teams in the NFL this year. He's an OL guy but they can't run block to save their lives. I don't think the GM is in jeopardy here but who knows.

To sum up, i see 5 teams that may have total rebuilds- Chiefs, Jets, Jaguars, Panthers, Browns. Titans could have a partial. And of course other teams may enter the conversation later on in the year.

Other potential teams who could have GM's or HC's on the hotseat if they struggle- Bills, Chargers, Eagles could have both HC's/GM's in trouble if they start losing, but for now they're either winning or at .500.

Thoughts on the list? Anyone have a different list?
_________________
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chris00cm


Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Posts: 17081
Location: St. Charles, Missouri
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Tannenbaum needs to go. The Jets arguably have the least talent in the league. It's a shame because the Jets were one of the best teams in the league a couple years ago. Now their destined for a top 10 pick and are a talent depleted team.
_________________


Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6606
Location: SC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Chiefs fan, I concur that Scott Pioli needs to hit the road. He can take Romeo Crennel with him. Oh, and Matt Cassel too.
_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelerspower


Joined: 13 Jun 2011
Posts: 7742
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your choice and I would add Jason Garrett on the list

Jerry Jones also deserve to be on the hot seat, but of course, it is impossible to fire him!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50829
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
Mike Tannenbaum needs to go. The Jets arguably have the least talent in the league. It's a shame because the Jets were one of the best teams in the league a couple years ago. Now their destined for a top 10 pick and are a talent depleted team.


They have not assembled very little on offense via the draft, his first year was good (Mangold and Ferguson in the first round) but outside of that if you look at how things have gone via the draft on offense since Mike took over you will see;

2006 - Kellen Clemens (2nd), Brad Smith (4th), Leon Washington (4th), Jason Pociask (5th)
2007 - Chansi Stuckey (7th)
2008 - Dustin Keller (1st), Erik Ainge (5th), Marcus Henry (6th), Nate Garner (7th)
2009 - Mark Sanchez (1st), Shonn Greene (3rd)
2010 - Joe McKnight (4th), John Connor (5th)
2011 - Bilal Powell (4th), Jeremy Kerley (5th), Greg McElroy (7th), Scottie McKnight (7th)

It may be a bit early to judge the 11 class and they look to be getting some prodcution from Powell and Kerley, though not top quality porduction.

The other issue is that in 09-10 combined they had 7 draft selections.

If the Jets ever want to improve they need to be smarter about who and what they are adding in the draft and who and what they trade away their draft picks for.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zithers


Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 2323
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivera and hurney aren't anywhere near getting fired.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
Mike Tannenbaum needs to go. The Jets arguably have the least talent in the league. It's a shame because the Jets were one of the best teams in the league a couple years ago. Now their destined for a top 10 pick and are a talent depleted team.


They have not assembled very little on offense via the draft, his first year was good (Mangold and Ferguson in the first round) but outside of that if you look at how things have gone via the draft on offense since Mike took over you will see;

2006 - Kellen Clemens (2nd), Brad Smith (4th), Leon Washington (4th), Jason Pociask (5th)
2007 - Chansi Stuckey (7th)
2008 - Dustin Keller (1st), Erik Ainge (5th), Marcus Henry (6th), Nate Garner (7th)
2009 - Mark Sanchez (1st), Shonn Greene (3rd)
2010 - Joe McKnight (4th), John Connor (5th)
2011 - Bilal Powell (4th), Jeremy Kerley (5th), Greg McElroy (7th), Scottie McKnight (7th)

It may be a bit early to judge the 11 class and they look to be getting some prodcution from Powell and Kerley, though not top quality porduction.

The other issue is that in 09-10 combined they had 7 draft selections.

If the Jets ever want to improve they need to be smarter about who and what they are adding in the draft and who and what they trade away their draft picks for.


Tannenbaum's first two drafts (2006 and 2007) were arguably the best in the NFL during their respective years. He was able to draft Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Leon Washington, and Brad Smith in 2006 and Darrelle Revis and David Harris in 2007.

Since then, he has had some good picks (Dustin Keller, Matt Slauson, and the first five picks of the 2011 draft), but none near the level of those first two amazing drafts. Many Jets fans have accredited this to the firing of Eric Mangini after the 2008 season. Even though Mangini was there when the team drafted Vernon Gholston in 2008, he is seen as a superior talent evaluator to Rex Ryan.


Last edited by green24 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 53019
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
khodder wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
Mike Tannenbaum needs to go. The Jets arguably have the least talent in the league. It's a shame because the Jets were one of the best teams in the league a couple years ago. Now their destined for a top 10 pick and are a talent depleted team.


They have not assembled very little on offense via the draft, his first year was good (Mangold and Ferguson in the first round) but outside of that if you look at how things have gone via the draft on offense since Mike took over you will see;

2006 - Kellen Clemens (2nd), Brad Smith (4th), Leon Washington (4th), Jason Pociask (5th)
2007 - Chansi Stuckey (7th)
2008 - Dustin Keller (1st), Erik Ainge (5th), Marcus Henry (6th), Nate Garner (7th)
2009 - Mark Sanchez (1st), Shonn Greene (3rd)
2010 - Joe McKnight (4th), John Connor (5th)
2011 - Bilal Powell (4th), Jeremy Kerley (5th), Greg McElroy (7th), Scottie McKnight (7th)

It may be a bit early to judge the 11 class and they look to be getting some prodcution from Powell and Kerley, though not top quality porduction.

The other issue is that in 09-10 combined they had 7 draft selections.

If the Jets ever want to improve they need to be smarter about who and what they are adding in the draft and who and what they trade away their draft picks for.


Tannenbaum's first two drafts (2006 and 2007) were arguably the best in the NFL during their respective years. He was able to draft Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Leon Washington, and Brad Smith in 2006 and Darrelle Revis and David Harris in 2007.


Leon Washington and Brad Smith are specialists players at the most. And neither are with the Jets today. So...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
green24 wrote:
khodder wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
Mike Tannenbaum needs to go. The Jets arguably have the least talent in the league. It's a shame because the Jets were one of the best teams in the league a couple years ago. Now their destined for a top 10 pick and are a talent depleted team.


They have not assembled very little on offense via the draft, his first year was good (Mangold and Ferguson in the first round) but outside of that if you look at how things have gone via the draft on offense since Mike took over you will see;

2006 - Kellen Clemens (2nd), Brad Smith (4th), Leon Washington (4th), Jason Pociask (5th)
2007 - Chansi Stuckey (7th)
2008 - Dustin Keller (1st), Erik Ainge (5th), Marcus Henry (6th), Nate Garner (7th)
2009 - Mark Sanchez (1st), Shonn Greene (3rd)
2010 - Joe McKnight (4th), John Connor (5th)
2011 - Bilal Powell (4th), Jeremy Kerley (5th), Greg McElroy (7th), Scottie McKnight (7th)

It may be a bit early to judge the 11 class and they look to be getting some prodcution from Powell and Kerley, though not top quality porduction.

The other issue is that in 09-10 combined they had 7 draft selections.

If the Jets ever want to improve they need to be smarter about who and what they are adding in the draft and who and what they trade away their draft picks for.


Tannenbaum's first two drafts (2006 and 2007) were arguably the best in the NFL during their respective years. He was able to draft Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Leon Washington, and Brad Smith in 2006 and Darrelle Revis and David Harris in 2007.


Leon Washington and Brad Smith are specialists players at the most. And neither are with the Jets today. So...


They were more than worth the pick when they were with the Jets. Leon Washington was one of the best complimentary backs in the NFL prior to his leg injury. With his rushing, returning, and receiving abilities, he was one of the top weapons in the league. He has not been quite the same since that injury.

Brad Smith was a very good player for the Jets, but he left to sign a large contract with the Buffalo Bills.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles shelton


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 1888
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're spot on about Gene Smith and his boy Mularkey. We are knee deep into this discusion on the Jags forum. There are a few loyalists still supporting Smith, but most of us have lost faith in him. If he goes, Mularkey & probably Gabbert go with him. I'd imagine a new GM would want to use what will likely be a very high draft pick to get a new QB. I mean really...how much worse would the Jags be with Tebow at qb? I'm a confirmed Tebow hater (as a QB), but I'd take him over Gabbert at this point and not even think twice about it.

-Charles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles shelton wrote:
You're spot on about Gene Smith and his boy Mularkey. We are knee deep into this discusion on the Jags forum. There are a few loyalists still supporting Smith, but most of us have lost faith in him. If he goes, Mularkey & probably Gabbert go with him. I'd imagine a new GM would want to use what will likely be a very high draft pick to get a new QB. I mean really...how much worse would the Jags be with Tebow at qb? I'm a confirmed Tebow hater (as a QB), but I'd take him over Gabbert at this point and not even think twice about it.

-Charles


Mularkey has been your head coach for all of four games. Sounds like a bit of an overreaction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainbowCarebear


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 37526
Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
rivera and hurney aren't anywhere near getting fired.


Sucks. LB'er over DT? And why do Rivera still have McDermott as DC?
_________________

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 53019
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
green24 wrote:
khodder wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
Mike Tannenbaum needs to go. The Jets arguably have the least talent in the league. It's a shame because the Jets were one of the best teams in the league a couple years ago. Now their destined for a top 10 pick and are a talent depleted team.


They have not assembled very little on offense via the draft, his first year was good (Mangold and Ferguson in the first round) but outside of that if you look at how things have gone via the draft on offense since Mike took over you will see;

2006 - Kellen Clemens (2nd), Brad Smith (4th), Leon Washington (4th), Jason Pociask (5th)
2007 - Chansi Stuckey (7th)
2008 - Dustin Keller (1st), Erik Ainge (5th), Marcus Henry (6th), Nate Garner (7th)
2009 - Mark Sanchez (1st), Shonn Greene (3rd)
2010 - Joe McKnight (4th), John Connor (5th)
2011 - Bilal Powell (4th), Jeremy Kerley (5th), Greg McElroy (7th), Scottie McKnight (7th)

It may be a bit early to judge the 11 class and they look to be getting some prodcution from Powell and Kerley, though not top quality porduction.

The other issue is that in 09-10 combined they had 7 draft selections.

If the Jets ever want to improve they need to be smarter about who and what they are adding in the draft and who and what they trade away their draft picks for.


Tannenbaum's first two drafts (2006 and 2007) were arguably the best in the NFL during their respective years. He was able to draft Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Leon Washington, and Brad Smith in 2006 and Darrelle Revis and David Harris in 2007.


Leon Washington and Brad Smith are specialists players at the most. And neither are with the Jets today. So...


They were more than worth the pick when they were with the Jets.


But they're not with the Jets now, which is kind of the point. Unless drafting and developing players for other teams to use is what teams are going for nowadays, those were wasted picks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
green24 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
green24 wrote:
khodder wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
Mike Tannenbaum needs to go. The Jets arguably have the least talent in the league. It's a shame because the Jets were one of the best teams in the league a couple years ago. Now their destined for a top 10 pick and are a talent depleted team.


They have not assembled very little on offense via the draft, his first year was good (Mangold and Ferguson in the first round) but outside of that if you look at how things have gone via the draft on offense since Mike took over you will see;

2006 - Kellen Clemens (2nd), Brad Smith (4th), Leon Washington (4th), Jason Pociask (5th)
2007 - Chansi Stuckey (7th)
2008 - Dustin Keller (1st), Erik Ainge (5th), Marcus Henry (6th), Nate Garner (7th)
2009 - Mark Sanchez (1st), Shonn Greene (3rd)
2010 - Joe McKnight (4th), John Connor (5th)
2011 - Bilal Powell (4th), Jeremy Kerley (5th), Greg McElroy (7th), Scottie McKnight (7th)

It may be a bit early to judge the 11 class and they look to be getting some prodcution from Powell and Kerley, though not top quality porduction.

The other issue is that in 09-10 combined they had 7 draft selections.

If the Jets ever want to improve they need to be smarter about who and what they are adding in the draft and who and what they trade away their draft picks for.


Tannenbaum's first two drafts (2006 and 2007) were arguably the best in the NFL during their respective years. He was able to draft Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Leon Washington, and Brad Smith in 2006 and Darrelle Revis and David Harris in 2007.


Leon Washington and Brad Smith are specialists players at the most. And neither are with the Jets today. So...


They were more than worth the pick when they were with the Jets.


But they're not with the Jets now, which is kind of the point. Unless drafting and developing players for other teams to use is what teams are going for nowadays, those were wasted picks.


A draft should be judged based on how good each of the players turned out to be, not how long they stayed with the team. A team's ability to re-sign its players should not correlate with how its drafts are judged.

That would be like saying the Cardinals were smart to draft Leinart over Cutler because Leinart stayed in Arizona longer than Cutler stayed in Denver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
superfly3176


Joined: 14 Nov 2011
Posts: 612
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Garrett

Jerry Jones, too bad nobody can fire this idiot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group