Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PFF: Cards Worst Run Blocking Team In NFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: PFF: Cards Worst Run Blocking Team In NFL Reply with quote

Per their recertly released run blocking rankings, the Arizona Cardinals have gone from the 9th best run blocking teams in 2011 to the 32nd. We all knew going from Levi Brown (8th best run blocking OT in 2011) to D'Anthony Batiste (Worst run blocking OT through 5 weeks) would be devastating and certainly Adam Snyder (3rd worst run blocking OG right now) hasn't been the upgrade over Red Hadnot (2nd worst run blocking OG in 2011) that we all hoped but 1 area that has compounded the problem that I didn't see coming and I think a lot of posters here would agree with me is Lyle Sendlein's apparent poor play. PFF ranks Sendlein as the 3rd worst run blocking center, a significant decrease from last season.

We might have to be in the market for a new center here too...

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

They are not alone, FootballOutsiders ranks us 32nd in their adjusted line yards stat.

2012 Our ranks by direction, by YPC.

Left End - 1.48 (25th)
Left Tackle - 1.34 (31st)
Mid/Guard - 2.66 (31st)
Right Tackle - 3.63 (23rd)
Right End - 4.45 (13th)

Contract that with our 2011 numbers, by direction, by YPC

Left End - 3.38 (25th)
Left Tackle - 4.25 (15th)
Mid/Guard - 4.02 (17th)
Right Tackle - 4.65 (10th)
Right End - 3.42 (18th)

Key Blockers in each direction

END's = Play side tackle, TE, WR and pulling players.
TACKLE = Play side Tackle, TE, Guard
MID/Guard = Guards and C

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massie and Colledge are the only two safe after this season.

All other spots should be up for grabs. I stress the word SHOULD as I highly doubt Sendlein ever gets replaced or that Levi won't be back in some shape or form.

(sigh)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:

All other spots should be up for grabs. I stress the word SHOULD as I highly doubt Sendlein ever gets replaced or that Levi won't be back in some shape or form.

(sigh)

Pretty unrealistic to think we'd replace 3 OL in 1 year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

(sigh)

Pretty unrealistic to think we'd replace 3 OL in 1 year.

I agree. Still, we could look at finding the best 2 players we could get to fill any of those 3 positions. Then again, Mr. Grimm might really enjoy the infusion of 3 new talents!

BTW, I was bored last night and got curious who was all available at one point or another since this past January. Here's a list of OL who were waived or released during that time and are currently on some team's 53:

* = Starting, the rest are 2nd stringers

LG Travelle Wharton (on IR now) - Bengals
RT Eric Winston* - Chiefs
C Jeff Faine* - Bengals
LG Steve Hutchinson* - Titans
LG Cooper Carlisle* - Raiders
C Dan Koppen - Broncos
RT Ryan Harris - Texans
C/G Steve Vallos - Eagles
RT Jonathan Scott - Bears
RG Mitch Petrus - Giants
LG/RT Herbert Taylor - Jaguars
LG/RG Shelley Smith - Rams
RG Deuce Lutui - Titans
C Tim Barnes - Rams
RG Reggie Wells (longshot for b/u this week?) - Bills

There were some decent O-lineman available to us who could have improved our team (and some garbage...especially Cooper Carlisle Rolling Eyes ). Doesn't mean we would have definitely landed any of these players (and some don't necessarily fit the blocking scheme), but we could have pursued a few of them if improving the OL would have been a priority.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I don't know. That's a pretty ugly list. I'm sure a few of those guys would be upgrades for what we've got now but none of them would legitimately make this line a respectable unit. Only decent name there is Winston and he's purely a ZBS guy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Eh, I don't know. That's a pretty ugly list. I'm sure a few of those guys would be upgrades for what we've got now but none of them would legitimately make this line a respectable unit. Only decent name there is Winston and he's purely a ZBS guy.

Yeah, keep in mind, these were guys who were let go, so they're not exactly All Pros. And Winston was the big tease on that list - a guy I wish we could have used and then let Massie & Snyder battle it out for the RG spot. Pity. IMHO, Faine pretty much = Sendlein, so at best only a minor upgrade there. I think Jonathan Scott would have been somewhat of an upgrade prior to drafting Massie, but Massie has upside. Wharton got injured, but you couldn't have known that. I would have pursued him. He pass protected better before Cam Newton showed up...might have been Cam's scrambling that caused that drop-off and he has always been considered a good run blocker. And lastly, Steve Vallos might have upgraded our depth. As you said, not exactly game-changing players, but every little bit would help this OL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: