Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Reggie Walker The Future At ILB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
younggun1273

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Potter as the long term answer. If we are not taking a left tackle in the first round, I can't imagine there will be a better option in free agency or 2nd-7th rounds. A hypothetical first round pick left tackle might not even be better than him. Tough spot to be in.

Justo on the sig
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

younggun1273 wrote:
I don't see Potter as the long term answer. If we are not taking a left tackle in the first round, I can't imagine there will be a better option in free agency or 2nd-7th rounds. A hypothetical first round pick left tackle might not even be better than him. Tough spot to be in.

Yeah, I don't have a whole lot of faith Potter will develop. We need to select a LT with an early draft pick ASAP. I think this is a team that could make the playoffs, but as for going deep, I'm not feeling it. OL is the main reason for this feeling. With this team, it would probably take quite a few turnovers in the post season to get deep and you can't necessarily count on those.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the current LT is going ok.

Really cannot complain about his performance so far.

Give him 12 more weeks, then we can start clamouring for 1st Round replacements.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
I think the current LT is going ok.

Really cannot complain about his performance so far.

Give him 12 more weeks, then we can start clamouring for 1st Round replacements.

Yeah, though it's early in the season to be talking draft targets, I didn't open that window. I just expressed an interest in focussing more on the OL than a LB, though I did state that BPA should guide us. And while I agree Batiste has done OK, there's no pretending we haven't screamed for someone to chip/assist him in some way during a few of these games. He actually has performed better than I expected, but at his age and experience in the NFL, I don't see him improving much. He's a stop-gap and that's it. I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Kolb has been such a surprise to me, that I now believe the only thing holding this team back is the OL. Addressing it's weak spots with young players with upside who could be a part of this team for years to come, just makes sense to me. And targeting them in the earlier rounds just reinforces the significance that I assign to those needs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron Wake did have 4.5 sacks against the Cardinals, lining up against Batiste. But he had done a better than expected job besides going against Wake. Chandler Jones worked him over a bit against the Patriots. He did a pretty good job against the Eagles and Seahawks, especially Chris Clemons who has been a Cardinal killer in the past.

Justo on the sig
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

younggun1273 wrote:
Cameron Wake did have 4.5 sacks against the Cardinals, lining up against Batiste. But he had done a better than expected job besides going against Wake. Chandler Jones worked him over a bit against the Patriots. He did a pretty good job against the Eagles and Seahawks, especially Chris Clemons who has been a Cardinal killer in the past.

The 4.5 sacks came on Massie in the game.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
younggun1273 wrote:

The 4.5 sacks came on Massie in the game.

Yup, Massie.

I think Massie's given up 5.5 now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just amazes me how much improved we are at nearly every position on the team EXCEPT offensive line. Other than last week, we are greatly improved in the secondary especially at corner. Both Wilson and Rhodes show no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Acho, Groves and Schofield have had solid if not great starts to the season at OLB. Paris Lenon, although up there in age, makes a big game-changing play nearly every week. ILB depth is pretty solid and currently livable. The defensive line is the deepest maybe ever with Dan Williams looking strong.

On the offensive side, our wide receiving core looks like it could be one of the better ones in the league a year from now with all four under contract through next year. Then throw in a guy like Byrd who everyone likes, and thatís 5 guys you can count on. Housler appears to be the real deal at TE, while Jeff King continues to be probably the best offensive FA in the Whisenhunt era. Heap was playing exceptionally well before he went down. Our fullback is a stud both on offense and special teams. Runningback could MAYBE be improved, but in all honesty, when Williams has had room to run he's made the most of it. LSH is as good of a third down back as there is in football. The run blocking has been just terrible.

Jay Feely and Dave are having career years.

And lastly Kevin Kolb looks more than capable when given even average pass protection. He looks greatly improved.

So where does that leave us? It is by far, the weakest area on the team and would make us that much better if two new starters were inserted come 2013 (RG,LT).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG isn't gonna happen, not in 2013. LT is a possibility though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:

You think Snyder has a strangle hold on that position? I doubt we'd take a guard in the first, but couldn't a 2nd or 3rd rounder beat him out?
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O line is fine. The team gave them help the first 3 games and last game didn't. I hope they go back to giving them help on the outside.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

You think Snyder has a strangle hold on that position? I doubt we'd take a guard in the first, but couldn't a 2nd or 3rd rounder beat him out?

A 2nd or 3rd rounder beat out a decent player? Under Ken Whisenhunt?

Not happening.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
O line is fine. The team gave them help the first 3 games and last game didn't. I hope they go back to giving them help on the outside.

Hmm...Don't you think Powell got all those snaps last week because Whiz knew the OL couldn't hold their own?!? Better play from the OL would have allowed us to play Williams more instead of Powell and likely would have lead to a few more rushing attempts. And the fact that we had to give the OL so much immediate help the 1st 3 games limited what we were able to do offensively. IMO, that OL really is not what I would call "fine", if it were Whiz wouldn't have to find so many different ways to assist it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:

Hmm...Don't you think Powell got all those snaps last week because Whiz knew the OL couldn't hold their own?!? Better play from the OL would have allowed us to play Williams more instead of Powell and likely would have lead to a few more rushing attempts. And the fact that we had to give the OL so much immediate help the 1st 3 games limited what we were able to do offensively. IMO, that OL really is not what I would call "fine", if it were Whiz wouldn't have to find so many different ways to assist it.

Bolded: Eh, not sure I agree with that either. I'm not saying the OL's been fine by any means but suggesting we kept a back in protection in the shotgun formation because of poor OL play isn't correct. That's a normal, every day offensive play for every NFL team. Shotgun usually means pass, pass usually means blitz, blitz means bringing more players after the quarterback than the OL can block, which means keeping in an extra blocker/chipper on offense. We could have a truly top notch NFL OL right now and we'd play a back right there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:

LOL we shouldn't have to help out the OL vs every team. It really limits what you can do, especially in our offense. Fitz, Roberts, Floyd, Doucet, Housler, etc. That's a lot of weapons and we can't even use them because we need to have 2 TEs or 2 RB just to help out the OL. You won't have many big plays if you need 7-8 guys to help block.

Also our OL has been horrible at run blocking. They have not been fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: