Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Scarlet Letter of A.S.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24015
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: The Scarlet Letter of A.S. Reply with quote

Anthony Spencer

The man has been mocked. The man has been ridiculed. Labeled a bust. When given the Franchise Tag, many of the brain trust here ridiculed Jerry as a wasteful expenditure. Much to the rage of many, Almost Anthony was given a stay of execution.

Now, 1/4 of the way through the season (albeit 3 games), what are your thoughts on Almost Anthony?

Some food for thought: Despite missing a game, he is 4th on the team with Tackles and second in sacks along with a pass deflection.

I think most of you realize that sacks are not the end all be all, as stuffs/pressures/coverage/run support are all valuable.

The question becomes, based on this very small sample size - are you open to retaining his services? Why/Why not?
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 27406
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to price.

So long as Spencer is not asking for a ludicrous amount of money to stay here, I'd re-sign him. If he wants a top tier contract for a 3-4 OLB, let him walk.

I've been impressed with his play thus far this season, and he and Ware definitely feed off of each other. I felt not having him in last night really hurt the defense, as Butler just isn't the same player in coverage or against the run.
_________________

^^^mack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CowboysTilIDie


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 3513
Location: Amarillo, TX
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
It all comes down to price.

So long as Spencer is not asking for a ludicrous amount of money to stay here, I'd re-sign him. If he wants a top tier contract for a 3-4 OLB, let him walk.

I've been impressed with his play thus far this season, and he and Ware definitely feed off of each other. I felt not having him in last night really hurt the defense, as Butler just isn't the same player in coverage or against the run.


100% agree here. Its all about the money at this point. I think his contributions are criminally undervalued and it showed last night. I read several articles yesterday claiming that this would be Victor Butlers coming out party. He's not even close to Spencers level. The one time he got to the QB he couldn't finish the play and he was bad in run support just like he was against Seattle. He's simply a situational pass rusher. Spencer is an above average OLB. Its ludicrous to expect to have 2 Demarcus Wares manning the outsides. If he asks for the money he's actually worth or a smidgen above it, resign him. If he wants a lot more, deuces.
_________________

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24015
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then let's expand. What is an appropriate amount of money? Also consider supply and demand. Spencer will likely be the most experience and best 3-4OLB player in Free Agency. So what is an acceptable monetary amount? And I care less about exact figure since every year the cap will go up and up and up. But what should be be paid like? Top 5, Top 10, Top 20? Now, what do you think he can make in Free Agency?
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 27406
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
So then let's expand. What is an appropriate amount of money? Also consider supply and demand. Spencer will likely be the most experience and best 3-4OLB player in Free Agency. So what is an acceptable monetary amount? And I care less about exact figure since every year the cap will go up and up and up. But what should be be paid like? Top 5, Top 10, Top 20? Now, what do you think he can make in Free Agency?


I think the basis for a contract extension for Spencer should be based on Ahmad Brooks recent deal. Looking at the numbers, he received a 6-year, $44.5MM contract with $17.5MM guaranteed. They're very similar players, and thus far in their careers Spencer actually has had more sacks (though only about 1.5 more).
_________________

^^^mack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6495
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
So then let's expand. What is an appropriate amount of money? Also consider supply and demand. Spencer will likely be the most experience and best 3-4OLB player in Free Agency. So what is an acceptable monetary amount? And I care less about exact figure since every year the cap will go up and up and up. But what should be be paid like? Top 5, Top 10, Top 20? Now, what do you think he can make in Free Agency?


I think the basis for a contract extension for Spencer should be based on Ahmad Brooks recent deal. Looking at the numbers, he received a 6-year, $44.5MM contract with $17.5MM guaranteed. They're very similar players, and thus far in their careers Spencer actually has had more sacks (though only about 1.5 more).


Agreed. I think that is the most appropriate deal. Spencer is very undervalued here, but I think he is arguably the best 3-4 SOLB in the NFL. And now he is starting to figure out the pass rush? Maybe he is getting that extra split second that he needed to get the sacks. I would love to see him back here
_________________


Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BloodOps


Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Posts: 1257
Location: Long Island
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
It all comes down to price.

So long as Spencer is not asking for a ludicrous amount of money to stay here, I'd re-sign him. If he wants a top tier contract for a 3-4 OLB, let him walk.

I've been impressed with his play thus far this season, and he and Ware definitely feed off of each other. I felt not having him in last night really hurt the defense, as Butler just isn't the same player in coverage or against the run.


This sums up my thoughts pretty perfectly to be honest. Spencer has been nothing short of amazing in run defense and he's been playing his best ball this season from the little that we have seen from his so far.

I'm not saying we win last night's game with Spencer out there but we definitely would of looked better defensively, at times Butler looked lost, like bad lost.
_________________
PSN: BloodOps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
htfryar


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 10422
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
So then let's expand. What is an appropriate amount of money? Also consider supply and demand. Spencer will likely be the most experience and best 3-4OLB player in Free Agency. So what is an acceptable monetary amount? And I care less about exact figure since every year the cap will go up and up and up. But what should be be paid like? Top 5, Top 10, Top 20? Now, what do you think he can make in Free Agency?


I think he should be paid like a Top 5 OLB, by another team. Seriously. I have no respect for Spencer. He openly admitted to not giving it his all. We need guys who will give 110% on every play, in every game, regardless of the score.

Jason Witten's performance lastnight is a perfect example of what I mean. Late in the game, it looked like some players were just going through the motions. That can't be said for Witten. He had a monster game, but it has been overshadowed by the team's overall poor performance. I want guys who have a passion for the game and give it their all.

Spencer ain't that guy.
_________________


Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 9 tackles, 1 TFL, 0 sacks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44683
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Spencer went into last nights game TIED with Ware for most impact plays - ahead of Lee.
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 13336
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Spencer leaves, I'm very confident that Jerry drafts an OLB in the first round next year. I'm not saying its a bad thing necessarily. I'm just saying what will probably happen and there won't be much of an upgrade to either the offensive or defensive lines.
_________________
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.


Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24015
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
So then let's expand. What is an appropriate amount of money? Also consider supply and demand. Spencer will likely be the most experience and best 3-4OLB player in Free Agency. So what is an acceptable monetary amount? And I care less about exact figure since every year the cap will go up and up and up. But what should be be paid like? Top 5, Top 10, Top 20? Now, what do you think he can make in Free Agency?


I think he should be paid like a Top 5 OLB, by another team. Seriously. I have no respect for Spencer. He openly admitted to not giving it his all. We need guys who will give 110% on every play, in every game, regardless of the score.

Jason Witten's performance lastnight is a perfect example of what I mean. Late in the game, it looked like some players were just going through the motions. That can't be said for Witten. He had a monster game, but it has been overshadowed by the team's overall poor performance. I want guys who have a passion for the game and give it their all.

Spencer ain't that guy.


I think that's a fair criticism of the team. I also think a lot had to do with the atmosphere created by Wade, and the culture that surrounded it. Now, that has permeated into the fans. How sad is it the players [subtly] call out the fans to make home field actually matter?

But, with Spencer gone - what do you propose to do with the SOLB spot? Draft a player early? Ride with Butler (I believe that means re-signing him, but I need to double check that)? Do you have faith that Wilber is the answer?
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24015
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
If Spencer leaves, I'm very confident that Jerry drafts an OLB in the first round next year. I'm not saying its a bad thing necessarily. I'm just saying what will probably happen and there won't be much of an upgrade to either the offensive or defensive lines.


Slam what would you want to see? Has Spencer impressed you this season? Has he been awful in your opinion? Would you re-sign him? If not, where would you go with that position?
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 13336
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
If Spencer leaves, I'm very confident that Jerry drafts an OLB in the first round next year. I'm not saying its a bad thing necessarily. I'm just saying what will probably happen and there won't be much of an upgrade to either the offensive or defensive lines.


Slam what would you want to see? Has Spencer impressed you this season? Has he been awful in your opinion? Would you re-sign him? If not, where would you go with that position?


It's hard to say right now but if I had to pick, I'd probably say let him walk. At a certain point this team will need to be rebuilt. I don't think I want him around for the rebuilding process.
_________________
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.


Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24015
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
If Spencer leaves, I'm very confident that Jerry drafts an OLB in the first round next year. I'm not saying its a bad thing necessarily. I'm just saying what will probably happen and there won't be much of an upgrade to either the offensive or defensive lines.


Slam what would you want to see? Has Spencer impressed you this season? Has he been awful in your opinion? Would you re-sign him? If not, where would you go with that position?


It's hard to say right now but if I had to pick, I'd probably say let him walk. At a certain point this team will need to be rebuilt. I don't think I want him around for the rebuilding process.


The fact it's hard to say, I take it to mean that you see value in him. Although, I think there is a distinct possibility that he is playing for a contract.

Which is fair. He walks. What do you then should be done to address the position? Wilber? FA? Draft pick (Premium, mid, late round pick)?
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8588
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer had a good start to the season. Is he worth a long-term, huge contract? I don't know. I say that because I'm not sure which Spencer we would get. It's quite possible he would the Spencer of past years - one that takes plays or even games off and then shows up from time-to-time or this year's Spencer, who is playing on a one-year contract.

If the Boys did re-sign him, I think Brooks' contract, as Des pointed out, is a good starting point. Even then, I'm not sure about handing Spencer $17.5M upfront. So right now, I'm leaning to letting him go. With Ryan as the OC, I have confidence that he will ensure the defence's success with or without Spencer.

I'm also interested in seeing what Wilber can do. Butler doesn't look more than a backup OLB, but Wilber has good potential. Another idea would be to move Carter to OLB, where he played a bit during the pre-season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group