Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The anti-David Veikune award
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best pick since 1999
Joe Thomas
73%
 73%  [ 30 ]
Trent Ricardson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Joe Haden
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
D'Qwell Jackson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Daylon McCutcheon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Anthony Henry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Andra Davis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ahtyba Rubin
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Billy Winn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Joshua Cribbs
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

KamTrus20

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: The anti-David Veikune award Reply with quote

David Veikune won the worst pick since 1999 so now I want to ask who was our best pick since 1999. Obviously we haven't had near as many as those Evil or Very Mad but there have been enough to run a poll.

1. Joe Thomas 1st
2. Trent Richardson 1st
3. Joe Haden 1st
4. D'Qwell Jackson 2nd
5. Daylon McCutheon 3rd
6. Anthony Henry 4th
7. Andra Davis 4th
8. Ahtyba Rubin 6th
9. Billy Winn 6th
10. Joshua Cribbs UDFA

I know its really too early for Trent Richardson but we have been so bad at drafting I couldn't really find anyone else. I eliminated Kellen Winslow because Butch Davis made the stupid move of trading a 2nd to move up one spot for him and then he went out and missed his first 2 season and wore out his welcome very soon after. Billy Winn is also too early but for a 6th round pick so far he looks like our biggest steal yet.

Jamison on the sig
candyman93

Location: The Man, The Myth, The Legend El Ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Big Rubin.

6th round pick and has been very impactful on our d-line as a NT

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read a thread title.
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this turns into a close battle between some players and we are having a fun discussion I can eliminate half the field and re open a poll with the least 5 vote getters going home so those voters would have to change a vote to one of the top 5.

It is hard not to pick Trent Richardson because this team has never had a true super star playmaker that other team had to game plan around and I believe Richardson finally gives us that player. He is only 4 games into his career, though, so I am picking Joe Thomas.

I think Joe Thomas was the highest pick of these options and he is expected to be great, but he was the perfect pick at the perfect time for the Browns. We had been looking for a LT for the longest time. He finally gave us some stability at the position and someone our QB could trust to keep him upright. He was a huge reason for our best season since our return. He helped pave the way for Lewis and his 1000 yard season as well as kept Anderson upright all year for his huge year.

Jamison on the sig
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Thomas hands down. Imagine if we would have chosen Quinn at #3 outright!

buno67 wrote:
I wonder why his cough was so bad that he needed the codeine? I betcha it was from hitting the bong to many nights in a row.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted Joe but hope Trent proves me wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
Joe Thomas hands down. Imagine if we would have chosen Quinn at #3 outright!

NO...Let me scare you even worse......as Crotchety Old Men do LOL.......what if we had lost the Coin Flip that year with Tampa Bay that year, giving them the 3rd pick....leaving us with Gains Adams (rip) at 4?

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
pmk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Haden for me. Many had Kyle Wilson above him after his poor combine numbers, loved that they stuck to what they saw on tape and took him early. Would go JT, Rubin and D'qwell after Haden.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The anti-David Veikune award Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
David Veikune won the worst pick since 1999 so now I want to ask who was our best pick since 1999. Obviously we haven't had near as many as those Evil or Very Mad but there have been enough to run a poll.

1st
2. Trent Richardson 1st
3. Joe Haden 1st
4. D'Qwell Jackson 2nd
5. Daylon McCutheon 3rd
6. Anthony Henry 4th
7. Andra Davis 4th
8. Ahtyba Rubin 6th
9. Billy Winn 6th
10. Joshua Cribbs UDFA

I know its really too early for Trent Richardson but we have been so bad at drafting I couldn't really find anyone else. I eliminated Kellen Winslow because Butch Davis made the stupid move of trading a 2nd to move up one spot for him and then he went out and missed his first 2 season and wore out his welcome very soon after. Billy Winn is also too early but for a 6th round pick so far he looks like our biggest steal yet.

Not sure a UDFA should count, seeing as how no one actually picked him, But I will include him in my order.

I would order them like this, with position and round drafted factored primarily:

1. Joe Thomas - Just about the most important roster spot.
2. Ahtyba Rubin - A steal and everything starts up front.
3. Joshua Cribbs - Cribbs and Dawson have won/kept us in a lot of games. Dawson didn't make the list so I go Cribbs here for both of them.
4. D'Qwell Jackson - QB of the defense
5. Joe Haden - I was against this pick, I was wrong.
6. Trent Richardson - The need for him was huge, added advantage.
7. Daylon McCutheon - Our best corner since the return until Haden.
8. Anthony Henry - Great rookie campaign. Short lived.
9. Billy Winn - A little too early to tell, but looks great so far.
10. Andra Davis - average MLB. Those who complain about DJack would/did complain more about Davis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haden hands down. He had concerns coming about about speed and experience. The guy was only scratching the surface of his potential when he entered the draft and he's transformed into one of the top CB's in the game already

Followed by Thomas and Rubin

I don't put Thomas ahead of Haden only because I prefer flash. Thomas has been everything we could ask for and more, but I feel like Haden is the best pick we've made
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The anti-David Veikune award Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

1. Joe Thomas 1st
2. Trent Richardson 1st
3. Joe Haden 1st
4. D'Qwell Jackson 2nd
5. Daylon McCutheon 3rd
6. Anthony Henry 4th
7. Andra Davis 4th
8. Ahtyba Rubin 6th
9. Billy Winn 6th
10. Joshua Cribbs UDFA

not sure why the hate on Veikune as there were 1st rounders that were worse picks sadly.

any how Best pick was Joe Best value is Rubin though Winn could eventually make that a tie

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went Rubin... 6th round pick. Kid is a stud.

1st rounders are expected to be great players.
DawgX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why people would say Rubin since he was a sixth-round pick and has become one of the best DTs around and is certainly one of the most underrated players in the league. But my vote goes to Joe Thomas, considering he's a future HOF as long as he keeps up his high level of play for a few more years. Imagine if the Browns drafted Quinn at #3 or Phil Savage got his wish and the Browns ended up with JaMarcus Russell. Shocked
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
I can see why people would say Rubin since he was a sixth-round pick and has become one of the best DTs around and is certainly one of the most underrated players in the league. But my vote goes to Joe Thomas, considering he's a future HOF as long as he keeps up his high level of play for a few more years. Imagine if the Browns drafted Quinn at #3 or Phil Savage got his wish and the Browns ended up with JaMarcus Russell. Shocked

+1 to all of this.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldn't be too much to discuss as Thomas is closing in on being a sure fire HOFer at this pace.

On a side note, I love how Billy Winn makes the list with 4 games under his belt. smdh.

Only in this forum. d'oh!

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
I went Rubin... 6th round pick. Kid is a stud.

1st rounders are expected to be great players.

I have to agree with these sentiments over the people who are voting for Thomas. If you ask me who is the best player on the roster, I vote for Thomas (possibly Haden), but I think our poor history of first round picks has lowered our expectations so when we actually do get a pro-bowler it freaks our freak. As a draft pick, value has to factor in and Rubin has excelled at the value portion given his quality of play. I just think it's really difficult to get a sixth rounder like him, so if he were a second round pick, I'd probably give Thomas the edge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: