You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft Thread - 1st page Updated with current roster.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Free Agents:

The Draft:

Trade Down to the 24th overall pick and pick up a 3rd and a 7th

1. Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
2. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
3. Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
3. Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
4. Josh Evans, S, Florida
5. Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida
6. Matt Scott, QB, Arizona
7. Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee

With the way Cooper performed at the combine and looks on film, I doubt he falls to the 18th pick let alone 24. Our biggest competition is with the Rams for Cooper and it would be shocking to see them passing on him twice.

He's an OG. He'll fall because teams don't value the position highly. People say this same silliness every year, and every year the OG falls in the draft.

I don't disagree with the notice at all and history backs it up, but someone will crack and make an OG a top 12 pick. Maybe not this year, but at some point the value of protecting your QB is going to override the typical draft value of an OG. Warmack and Cooper just may be good enough to do that.

I think it's bound to happen eventually as well simply because the odds will eventually support it, and it's possible that it could happen this year given the overall weakness at the skill positions, but I'd still bet against it due to the depths at OT and DT. Those are far more treasured positions than OG. With at least 3 OTs going in the top 15 (Joekel, Fisher, Johnson), 3 DTs going in the top 15 (Lotulelei, Floyd, Richardson), at least one, if not two, QBs (Smith, Barkley), that narrows the field quite a bit. And that's before looking at DEs (Werner, Ansah) LBs (Jordan, Jones, Mingo) and DBs (Vaccaro, Milliner, Trufant, Rhodes), which are all typically valued higher than OGs, it pushes the OGs down. And I'm sure there will be at least one or two WRs going in the top 15 as well. Just based on the numbers, it should easily push Warmack and/or Cooper out of the top 15. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but the likelihood is pretty good.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Broaddus said last night that Cooper was rated higher after the Combine, and would know more after Alabama pro day if he thought Warmack would be there at 18. HIs gut thinks that Warmack or Johnson will be there at 18, but feels that Cowboys are going DL in the first if he had to guess.

It would (and should) all depend on who is available. I'd expect us to go with either d-line or a DB in the 1st because we typically avoid o-linemen like they have cancer due to Jerry's obsession with DBs, jersey sales, an inability to recognize talent on the o-line, and an incredibly foolish notion that o-line isn't important because Romo is "elusive".

Northland wrote:
ninjaneer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, Connor was released and Ratliff, Scandrick and Bernadeau were restructured, clearing more CAP space, but also pushing more money to the future. All three players are guaranteed to be on the roster in 2013. Dallas needs money to sign it's draft class and maybe (and that's a BIG maybe) extend Sean Lee. Tony Romo is not expected to be extended anytime soon and the only realistic way Lee gets extended is if Romo does as well.

First, the notable cuts:
Free, Spears, Costa, Brent, Arkin, Tanner (no post June 1st cuts) CAP savings of approx. $6,071,600
The team takes it on the jaw from Free and Spears and decides against making them a post June 1st cut in order to eliminate futre CAP hits, like they've done with so many borderline players already this off-season.

Next, the Free Agent signings:
none

Resigned:
Frampton

DRAFT:
18: The elite DTs, OT's and G's are off the board. Dallas finds a trade partner with a slew of picks in San Francisco. Dallas sends pick 18 to San Francisco (which they use on S Kenny Vaccaro) for picks 31(1), 61(2) and 189(6)

31: (from San Francisco) DJ Fluker OT Alabama
Arguably Dallas' biggest hole on the roster is filled first as Fluker is the best pure right tackle in this year's draft. With lots of quality OT's in free agency, teams only gobbled up the 3 elite LT's in the draft leaving Fluker dangling at the end of the first round.

47: Travis Frederick C/G Wisconsin
The o-line rebuild continues. Frederick can play guard and center and has always called the line audibles his entire career, something Dallas has been lacking since the departure of Kyle Kosier. Travis has very high character and is very coachable.

61: (from San Francisco) Sio Moore OLB Connecticut
One of the most important features of Kiffin's front 7 is speed, which is one of Moore's strongest traits along with explosion. Kyle Wilbur is said to be given the first shot at the SAM position, but don't count Sio out just yet. This should be a good camp battle. Either player would likely come out for a DB on 3rd down pass plays.

80: Malliciah Goodman DE Clemson
Goodman is a true left end in the 4-3 defense. He has strong hands and length to strip and rip with a knack for forcing fumbles (eight career FFs) and is a physical run stopper. If no extention is reached with Anthony Spencer, Goodman could represent the future at left end.

111: DJ Swearinger FS South Carolina
The second DJ is taken in this draft and will compete with Matt Johnson for the FS spot. Swearinger has experience at cornerback, nickelback and both safety spots, making him a valuable assett to the secondary. He is one of the most physical hitters in this draft class and prides himself not only by his production, but also his NFL skill-set.

144: Jawan Jamison RB Rutgers
Same reason as my last mock. Here is our #2 running back.

175: (from San Francisco) Michael Williams TE Alabama
Williams is a blocking machine with a nose for the end-zone. He will be the primary blocking tight-end and second goal line TE next to James Hanna.

189: Steve Beauharnais ILB Rutgers
With the release of Dan Connor, LB depth is a concern. Steve started 40 consecutive games in the middle of Rutgers' defense but also possesses the frame, speed and quickness to be a productive SAM in the 4-3.

Roster:
QB: Romo, Orton
RB: Murray, Jamison, Dunbar, Vickers
TE: Witten, Hanna, M.Williams
WR: Bryant, Austin, Harris, Beasley, Coale, Benford
LT: Smith, Parnell
LG: Leary, Livings
C: Frederick, Cook
RG: Bernedeau, Dominguez
RT: Fluker, Weems

RDE: Ware, Albright
3 Tech DT: Ratliff, Crawford
1 Tech DT: Hatcher, Lissemore, Price
LDE: Spencer, Goodman
WIL: Carter, McSurdy
MIC: Lee, Beauharnais
SAM: Sio Moore, Wilber, Sheffield
RCB: Claiborne, Sterling Moore
FS: M.Johnson, Swearinger
SS: Church, Frampton*, McCray*
LCB: Carr, Scandrick

LS: Ladouceur
P: C.Johnson
K: D.Bailey

* denotes free agent signing

Last edited by ninjaneer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjaneer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread isnt dead is it?
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a massive fan of the draft, namely because of the first two players. I don't see that roster with much improvement.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go ahead and post a less "mainstream" mock

1.18 - Bjoern Werner (DE) Florida State
Not a huge need with Spencer being tagged, but could see them going BPA and Werner at this point would be if Cooper, Warmack, Vacarro and Richardson are all gone.

2.47 - Khaseem Greene (LB) Rutgers
Perfect T2 linebacker and great fit at WILL. Move Carter to MIKE and Lee to SAM

3.80 - Justin Pugh (G) Syracuse
Very finese blocker who played tackle but will move inside at the next level. Perfect for a ZBS.

4.111 - David Queensberry (G/T) San Jose State
Looks polished in his pass blocking and has good footwork. Not a mauler, but will work well in a ZBS at RT.

5.144 - Josh Boyce (WR) TCU
A local kid who gives depth for the oft-injured Miles Austin.

6.173 - Akeem Spence (DT) Illinois
A strong run defender and solid 1-tech for a T-2

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Mock!

1. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
2. Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
3. Kyle Long, OG, Oregon
5. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

In Redball I Trust!
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do something quite a bit different than the usual. In my following scenario, Floyd, Warmack, Cooper, the big 3 OTs, Richardson, and Vacarro are all gone. While I realize the likelihood of all these guys being gone is improbable, just play along here. Also, trading back is NOT an option here.

1. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
3. Kyle Long, OG, Oregon
4. Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse
5. Blaize Foltz, G, TCU
6. Jake Knott, OLB, Iowa St.

Obviously the outlier here is Tavon Austin in the 1st. With all of our preferred targets off the board, Austin is the BPA on our board. He's arguably the most explosive player in this draft and would add a whole new dimension to the offense.

Official Supporter of "The Process."
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
New Mock!

1. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
2. Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
3. Kyle Long, OG, Oregon
5. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

Love everything about that T_O.

Official Supporter of "The Process."
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I want to do something quite a bit different than the usual. In my following scenario, Floyd, Warmack, Cooper, the big 3 OTs, Richardson, and Vacarro are all gone. While I realize the likelihood of all these guys being gone is improbable, just play along here. Also, trading back is NOT an option here.

1. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
3. Kyle Long, OG, Oregon
4. Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse
5. Blaize Foltz, G, TCU
6. Jake Knott, OLB, Iowa St.

Obviously the outlier here is Tavon Austin in the 1st. With all of our preferred targets off the board, Austin is the BPA on our board. He's arguably the most explosive player in this draft and would add a whole new dimension to the offense.

I'd much rather draft Ricky Wagner in the 3rd than Kyle Long.

Northland wrote:
Runaway Jim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to get a safety earlier than that. First or second pick. I think it's the most glaring hole for our team, and an extremely important position in this new defensive scheme.
Captain Zapp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runaway Jim wrote:
I think we need to get a safety earlier than that. First or second pick. I think it's the most glaring hole for our team, and an extremely important position in this new defensive scheme.

I agree. I think Jones and company follow closely to that line of thinking as well, especially with Sensabaugh being cut. I think #18 is a little too high for any safety in this class but im scared all of the top names will be gone by the time the 'boys pick rolls around in the 2nd. I think that makes either a trade down in the first or a trade up in the 2nd a high probability this year.

Loosely along the same topic. Does anyone else see a lot of Bob Sanders in Matt Elam? I know he fits more of the roll of what we already have in Church and yes he is a bit over agressive at times but with that agression comes passion and toughness and swagger and nastiness. Im not confident he will even be on this teams radar because he doesnt exactly fit the RKG mold and it would leave them with either an out of position church or an unproven Matt Johnson at FS , but I hope he is and pray he falls to where he is glaring BPA on our board. I think he could have a big impact in our system.
RatherBeHuntin'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^I think Vaccaro presents great value at 18. However, I think that he will likely be long gone. I'm probably higher on him than a lot of people though. I personally rank him a bit above where I had Barron last year (though I thought Barron went too high).

As to the Bob Sanders comparison...I think that Shamarko Thomas is compares more to a Bob Sanders than Elam does. Broadous also mentioned this comparison recently. Obviously, when comparing anyone to Sanders the hope is that they don't also compare to him from a durability standpoint.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone high on Elam, understand that Evans is the one that allows Elam to roam how he does. Evans is our center-fielder - and led the team in tackles.

Elam is the S everyone wants, but not the one we need.
Evans is the S we need, but not the one people want.

In Redball I Trust!
Captain Zapp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
For everyone high on Elam, understand that Evans is the one that allows Elam to roam how he does. Evans is our center-fielder - and led the team in tackles.

Elam is the S everyone wants, but not the one we need.
Evans is the S we need, but not the one people want.

Can we have them both?

Joking...

Kind of.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 54 of 58

Jump to: