Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thoughts? Jones + 2013 2nd for Jake Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fakespike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Y'all bess be trollin'.

Everyone would do this trade. Everyone but Miami.

Elite LT for a #2 receiver and a 50-64 pick? Did Long kill a guy?

No, but his rookie contract is up this year, thus making this a fairly reasonable trade both ways. Understand you're not in good cap situation and Jennings is a FA, so might not be realistic, but those of you scoffing based on Jones value to your offense or that of a 2nd round pick are homerrific: long is an all pro and would help your team more than you know. Or you can just remain content with Rodgers getting steamrolled over and over.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fakespike wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
Y'all bess be trollin'.

Everyone would do this trade. Everyone but Miami.

Elite LT for a #2 receiver and a 50-64 pick? Did Long kill a guy?

No, but his rookie contract is up this year, thus making this a fairly reasonable trade both ways. Understand you're not in good cap situation and Jennings is a FA, so might not be realistic, but those of you scoffing based on Jones value to your offense or that of a 2nd round pick are homerrific: long is an all pro and would help your team more than you know. Or you can just remain content with Rodgers getting steamrolled over and over.

The Bears would gladly give up a first for Long.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the contract is very prohibitive in making this deal. We have a few core guys that need to be retained. Most of all Rodgers. If Rodgers gets less than 20 mil per, I will be happy with the contract.

Jones and a second for Long in a heart beat, if it were that simple.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Yes the contract is very prohibitive in making this deal. We have a few core guys that need to be retained. Most of all Rodgers. If Rodgers gets less than 20 mil per, I will be happy with the contract.

Jones and a second for Long in a heart beat, if it were that simple.

Same. I'm not scoffing at the idea of having Long, I'm scoffing at the idea of losing pick 2 of 3: Matthews,Raji, Jennings

XBL: ShiiNyIV
Blink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually a really interesting option. Never going to happen, pipe dream and all that, but interesting.

The other tackle spot isn't settled yet. Newhouse is improving but still hovering below averageish, and Sherrod is a question mark. Long is an immediate and significant upgrade.

On the other hand I think a lot of us under value Jones. Our WR group is a strength because of Jones, Cobb, and Driver. A lot of teams have a good number one, some have a number two as well. Nobody has the 3-5 talent we possess.

As we saw vs NO, its so valuable to have those guys going against depth corners or be around to step up in case of injury.

Jennings isn't a 100% lock to come back and Driver is all but phased out of the offense. That's quite a different picture than where we are today.

Jennings/Nelson/Jones/Cobb/Driver could very well be just Nelson/Jones/Cobb as soon as next year. That's a little scary.
mxr124

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Jennings + 2nd for Long?

We get to keep Jones and Jennings better. Jennings' recent injury woes might make this a bad deal for Miami though?
.flash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxr124 wrote:

We get to keep Jones and Jennings better. Jennings' recent injury woes might make this a bad deal for Miami though?
This thread is mind boggling. Jennings does not have injury issues. He started every game in the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons. He missed three games last year and he's had a slow start to this one as well. That does not means he's anywhere close to injury prone. And Jennings is a far better player than Jones, obviously.

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. You're getting an elite LT for an above average WR and a 2nd. James Jones is not some #1 WR stud. In a career filled with inconsistency I find it hilarious that people think so highly of him after a few good games. This trade is robbery; Miami would never put this on the table.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.flash wrote:
mxr124 wrote:

We get to keep Jones and Jennings is better. Jennings' recent injury woes might make this a bad deal for Miami though?
This thread is mind boggling. Jennings does not have injury issues. He started every game in the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons. He missed three games last year and he's had a slow start to this one as well. That does not means he's anywhere close to injury prone. And Jennings is a far better player than Jones, obviously.

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. You're getting an elite LT for an above average WR and a 2nd. James Jones is not some #1 WR stud. In a career filled with inconsistency I find it hilarious that people think so highly of him after a few good games. This trade is robbery; Miami would never put this on the table.

Where did I say injury prone? I said "RECENT INJURY WOES". You're gonna argue that GJ85 hasn't missed quite a bit of time in the past 6 or 7 games due to injuries? Is he gonna play Sunday? Some of you guys kill me. Seriously, do you use this forum as an outlet to argue?
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is full of fail. The Packers do this trade if offered. Then we flip Sherrod for a 2nd or something and get our pick back if we manage to extend Long, Newhouse goes to swing tackle. Ball would have his work cut out for him on contract balancing though. Being able to shut down someone like JPP/Peppers/Allen/Vandenbosch is huge. Give Rodgers an extra 1-2 seconds per play and this offense is lethal.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
byzr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teams don't trade elite players. especially players that don't have some kind of issues.

does Long fit into our blocking scheme? that would mean we'd have to sign Long, Raji, Jennings, and Mathews in the next year or two. we would be losing at least two of those players.

the value is there but i think that TT is confident in his ability to put a line in front of Rodgers that doesn't keep us from having Mathews and Raji on the defensive side of the ball...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple reasons we don't trade for Jake Long. His contract will be the highest paid money to an OT in history. Not something TT would want to get in bed with espicially when we have a QB and an OLB that will command top tier money at teir respective positions sooner then later. Then losing a high draft pick is something Thompson just doesn't do. He doesn't. Then add the fact that there is a real possibility we let Jennings walk after the year so that makes Jones very valuable to us. Then add to the fact we just spent a 1st round pick on Sherrod and he is no where near an afterthought on this team. He started to really play well late last year (his rookie year) before the injury. Add ALL those factors together and there is 0% chance this trade would ever happen.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
Couple reasons we don't trade for Jake Long. His contract will be the highest paid money to an OT in history.
I beg to differ Ketchup. Miami is playing a ZBS and Long is having some of his weaknesses exposed. I'm not suggesting that he's bad or below average, he's simply not the dominant player he was three seasons ago.

There is a very real possibility Miami let's him walk after this season.
byzr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
Couple reasons we don't trade for Jake Long. His contract will be the highest paid money to an OT in history.
I beg to differ Ketchup. Miami is playing a ZBS and Long is having some of his weaknesses exposed. I'm not suggesting that he's bad or below average, he's simply not the dominant player he was three seasons ago.

There is a very real possibility Miami let's him walk after this season.

and he will become the highest paid OT of all time...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxr124 wrote:
Seriously, do you use this forum as an outlet to argue?

Lmao

Shout out to justo on the avatar!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: