Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Cossell not a fan of the 49ers offense.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFallofRome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was misunderstood. I was not getting defensive. As a matter of fact, I like Kaepernick so far and wouldn't throw a fit if you guys got your wish. My point that was apparently not noticed is that I think it is a very risky call as a coach to bench a QB who has 5 tds to one int and a 98.1 rating, with the team at 3-1, in hope of being more explosive. If that call were to backfire and lose some games, how smart would Harbaugh look then? Just sayin, if it's working, use it til it doesn't. Let Kaep keep progressing until such a necessity arises.

^Thanks to Salt&Pepper for the custom sig!^
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Miami49er wrote:

Luck threw plenty of deep balls under Harbaugh at Stanford.

Standord under Harbaugh is a good analogy, and one worth looking more closely at. But I'm wondering how well you remember the Stanford offense. When Stanford had Gerhardt they ran the kind of offense we are running now and Luck averaged less than 200 yards a game that season. Even after Gerhardt was gone and they had average or less than average running backs Luck still only averaged a little over 250 yards a game for those two years.

This is what kills me when I keep reading comments about Harbaugh "not trusting" Alex. When he had arguably the best QB in the country at Stanford he ran an offense very similar to what we see now from the 49ers. It was much more balanced than the style a lot of modern college teams play. And they were never a team that just threw the ball all over the place.

Not disagreeing with you, but 2009 was Luck's first year starting, and Gehart had a pretty good year the year before. It's possible that Harbaugh wanted to lean on Gerhart more, and not have to rely on his first year QB.

We do run a very similar offense to what Stanford ran, but one difference is that Luck chose the deeper routes when he saw favorable match-ups and took more chances, which is why a lot of people think that our offense and Stanford's are different.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallofRome wrote:
I think I was misunderstood. I was not getting defensive. As a matter of fact, I like Kaepernick so far and wouldn't throw a fit if you guys got your wish. My point that was apparently not noticed is that I think it is a very risky call as a coach to bench a QB who has 5 tds to one int and a 98.1 rating, with the team at 3-1, in hope of being more explosive. If that call were to backfire and lose some games, how smart would Harbaugh look then? Just sayin, if it's working, use it til it doesn't. Let Kaep keep progressing until such a necessity arises.

I don't think that anyone is asking for Alex to be benched. People just want him to take advantage of more match-ups that he sees. There's nothing wrong with wanting improvement from Alex imo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill look at game stats tomorrow. But from memory (I watch a lot of PAC 12) they played Oregon close and from behind often and Stanford still ran te ball heavy with Taylor.
But luck had very little help out wide. He would hit Fleener intermediate OFTEN. Then Fleener would just out run the d. He was just too fast with the mismatches. I remember Fleener running free all the time. It wasn't a deep pass to him though. Medium with him just outrunning everybody.

Also the people who tried to find flaws with Andrew said he didn't have the arm strength. Take that for what it is. He has the arm, he has everything. He's going to be very special. But yeah at the end of his pro day he dropped a 75 yard bomb in stride to owusu to prove he had it. Can't say for sure, but maybe because he wasn't dropping bombs in games?

No shots fired. Just talk. Laughing haha

new sig... sorry alex
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Miami49er wrote:
[quote="Gridirongreat]
We are 4 games into the season. Not 8 but 4. I dont care who caught the TD's as long as someone is catching them. I dont get the complaint. B\c the majority of the TD's didnt go to a wide receiver its cause for panic?Thats like being owed money by your brother, but your sister pays his debt. Would you complain even though you got paid? Factor in the Alex has better chemistry with Vernon than any other player on our team, plus the play selection and how few games we have played, I just dont get the uproar. I get it, you want more explosive plays from the Wideout position but that is not this offense. The reason Moss and MM were brought in was so that teams could single up on guys like Brett Swain, Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn and then double up on Crabs and VD. There is a reason while Stanford will be putting out high draft grade TE's for the next two years and thats b\c this offense runs through them and the running game. Like I said, until I see that we are completely inept in the passing game, there is no cause for concern 4 games in. What we see from all these other teams that run the "WCO" is a bastardized version that resembles nothing of what Bo Schembechler and what Bill Walsh ran when with Bengals.
i don't buy that "it's not in the offense" stuff. Luck threw plenty of deep balls under Harbaugh at Stanford. Yes we're winning, but we can and need to improve the passing game. i'm not saying we need to sling it around like Tom Brady and Matt Ryan but Alex has to start taking more chances. This defense isn't always going to be able to score on defense and hold the opposing team to 20 points or less. like other posters have said, no matter how good your team is you're always going to want to improve a weakness. the year the Colts won the superbowl, Colts fans were complaining that their run defense was atrocious. Green Bay has a good team but fans have a right to complain about the running game being non existent. that's all we're saying. just like last year we were complaining about the running game needing improvement at the beginning of the year and yet we were winning then too. but because it's Alex Smith people take it like there's discontent or some kind of under lying hate involved.

I dont think the bolded part would be an issue, if it werent the same people who have been on the ABA brigade, keep bringing up issues. I mean seriously, if your only complaint is that he isnt taking enough chances dont you see the problem there? Also, Luck did not throw plenty of deep balls at Stanford. He was almost always shot to intermediate with maybe a 2-3 deep balls per game. If you look at Lucks stats from last season and compared them to Alex's last season they were pretty darn close in terms of yardage. The huge gap was in TD production, but I figure this is the NFL so its not like you're going to get a team with a talent pool of a Saginaw Valley State. The margin for error is a lot less. Would I like for us to sling the ball around more? Who wouldnt, but unless we are severely behind or G-Ro and Hards see something other wise in a teams defense (like they did against the Bucs) I dont see that happening.[/quote]

Luck threw for 373 more yards that year, that's a good amount, plus he threw less. Luck also had a much high YPA (1.63) his last year in Stanford. I'm not a big fan of comparing a college players stats to a pro's by any means, but I wouldn't say they're close at all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
Ill look at game stats tomorrow. But from memory (I watch a lot of PAC 12) they played Oregon close and from behind often and Stanford still ran te ball heavy with Taylor.
But luck had very little help out wide. He would hit Fleener intermediate OFTEN. Then Fleener would just out run the d. He was just too fast with the mismatches. I remember Fleener running free all the time. It wasn't a deep pass to him though. Medium with him just outrunning everybody.

Also the people who tried to find flaws with Andrew said he didn't have the arm strength. Take that for what it is. He has the arm, he has everything. He's going to be very special. But yeah at the end of his pro day he dropped a 75 yard bomb in stride to owusu to prove he had it. Can't say for sure, but maybe because he wasn't dropping bombs in games?

Not to make this an Andrew Luck thread, but my favorite play of his was when he laid out that one defender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5STc2_bM7k

I'm definitely a big Luck homer, and with Pagano's illness, I'll be rooting for the Colts to do well this year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
sbrown wrote:
but if it were patrick wills (our best player) it wouldnt happen at all.

Faulty Logic. Patrick Willis is incapable of a bad game. Wink

Ahh I stand corrected dear sir!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:

Yes, he liked to use his TEs a lot - another thing that is no different.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

Not to make this an Andrew Luck thread, but my favorite play of his was when he laid out that one defender.

I'm definitely a big Luck homer, and with Pagano's illness, I'll be rooting for the Colts to do well this year.

i loved him too! ill admit i wanted us to tank for him. we almost made the super bowl with alex. hes not bad, but he aint great lol.
With luck under center for 10 years.... mind blowing shii would happen with our d and run game. unbelievable Shocked
[img]http://mlkshk.com/r/DBLT[/img]

but yeah that hit was crazy. another was him trucking the cal defender.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4_w-puInqY
BAM

and the one handed snatch?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0VJT1CmV0

still cant believe people hating on him...

but yeah alex just throw it deep a few times. we got you Cool

new sig... sorry alex
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** why my gif no worky? it works perfectly there

new sig... sorry alex
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Miami49er wrote:
[quote="Gridirongreat]
We are 4 games into the season. Not 8 but 4. I dont care who caught the TD's as long as someone is catching them. I dont get the complaint. B\c the majority of the TD's didnt go to a wide receiver its cause for panic?Thats like being owed money by your brother, but your sister pays his debt. Would you complain even though you got paid? Factor in the Alex has better chemistry with Vernon than any other player on our team, plus the play selection and how few games we have played, I just dont get the uproar. I get it, you want more explosive plays from the Wideout position but that is not this offense. The reason Moss and MM were brought in was so that teams could single up on guys like Brett Swain, Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn and then double up on Crabs and VD. There is a reason while Stanford will be putting out high draft grade TE's for the next two years and thats b\c this offense runs through them and the running game. Like I said, until I see that we are completely inept in the passing game, there is no cause for concern 4 games in. What we see from all these other teams that run the "WCO" is a bastardized version that resembles nothing of what Bo Schembechler and what Bill Walsh ran when with Bengals.
i don't buy that "it's not in the offense" stuff. Luck threw plenty of deep balls under Harbaugh at Stanford. Yes we're winning, but we can and need to improve the passing game. i'm not saying we need to sling it around like Tom Brady and Matt Ryan but Alex has to start taking more chances. This defense isn't always going to be able to score on defense and hold the opposing team to 20 points or less. like other posters have said, no matter how good your team is you're always going to want to improve a weakness. the year the Colts won the superbowl, Colts fans were complaining that their run defense was atrocious. Green Bay has a good team but fans have a right to complain about the running game being non existent. that's all we're saying. just like last year we were complaining about the running game needing improvement at the beginning of the year and yet we were winning then too. but because it's Alex Smith people take it like there's discontent or some kind of under lying hate involved.

I dont think the bolded part would be an issue, if it werent the same people who have been on the ABA brigade, keep bringing up issues. I mean seriously, if your only complaint is that he isnt taking enough chances dont you see the problem there? Also, Luck did not throw plenty of deep balls at Stanford. He was almost always shot to intermediate with maybe a 2-3 deep balls per game. If you look at Lucks stats from last season and compared them to Alex's last season they were pretty darn close in terms of yardage. The huge gap was in TD production, but I figure this is the NFL so its not like you're going to get a team with a talent pool of a Saginaw Valley State. The margin for error is a lot less. Would I like for us to sling the ball around more? Who wouldnt, but unless we are severely behind or G-Ro and Hards see something other wise in a teams defense (like they did against the Bucs) I dont see that happening.

Luck threw for 373 more yards that year, that's a good amount, plus he threw less. Luck also had a much high YPA (1.63) his last year in Stanford. I'm not a big fan of comparing a college players stats to a pro's by any means, but I wouldn't say they're close at all.[/quote]even so, if we did compare them, college players play only 12-13 games per year. The NFL plays 16. That's pretty sad that a college player had more yarxs in three less games. It speaks volumes. Jim preaches ball protection to Alex but lets Kaep whip one 55 yards into coverage.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
But luck had very little help out wide. He would hit Fleener intermediate OFTEN. Then Fleener would just out run the d. He was just too fast with the mismatches. I remember Fleener running free all the time. It wasn't a deep pass to him though. Medium with him just outrunning everybody.Also the people who tried to find flaws with Andrew said he didn't have the arm strength. Take that for what it is. He has the arm, he has everything. He's going to be very special. But yeah at the end of his pro day he dropped a 75 yard bomb in stride to owusu to prove he had it. Can't say for sure, but maybe because he wasn't dropping bombs in games?

Crying or Very sad Oh the humanity! We could have had him on our team and we just might not be having this discussion much at all as a result....maybe.
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Yes, I am STILL trying to get over it.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
But luck had very little help out wide. He would hit Fleener intermediate OFTEN. Then Fleener would just out run the d. He was just too fast with the mismatches. I remember Fleener running free all the time. It wasn't a deep pass to him though. Medium with him just outrunning everybody.Also the people who tried to find flaws with Andrew said he didn't have the arm strength. Take that for what it is. He has the arm, he has everything. He's going to be very special. But yeah at the end of his pro day he dropped a 75 yard bomb in stride to owusu to prove he had it. Can't say for sure, but maybe because he wasn't dropping bombs in games?

Crying or Very sad Oh the humanity! We could have had him on our team and we just might not be having this discussion much at all as a result....maybe.
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad

we know. we know.
with time my friend. with time. Wink

toilollo is coming over this april. no worries. it will all be a distant memory Laughing

new sig... sorry alex
sbrown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad

I actually thought we would get him too, but we didnt need to..we have Delaine!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

i loved him too! ill admit i wanted us to tank for him. we almost made the super bowl with alex. hes not bad, but he aint great lol.
With luck under center for 10 years.... mind blowing shii would happen with our d and run game. unbelievable Shocked
[img]http://mlkshk.com/r/DBLT[/img]

but yeah that hit was crazy. another was him trucking the cal defender.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4_w-puInqY
BAM

and the one handed snatch?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0VJT1CmV0

still cant believe people hating on him...

but yeah alex just throw it deep a few times. we got you Cool

Alex ain't no softy either Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isB6E33t9Q8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: