Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Cossell not a fan of the 49ers offense.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John232

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Greg Cossell not a fan of the 49ers offense. Reply with quote

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/10/01/how-does-sundays-offensive-creativity-reflect-on-alex-smith/

The man made some valid points.

I said this before, Smith in the last 6 games has had his three best games and arguably his three worst(since his emergence of being a legit starter). I'm not jumping on Smith, but he does need to play better and start stretching defenses multiple times in a game. We can't expect to always win games only scoring 24 points. Especially come playoff time.

xsaMainevent on the sig
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have been "manufacturing offense" for a while now, every week roman and harbaugh seem to have some very creative running plays. I love it. This "unconventional" style was simply the gameplan we had for the jets. Our offense is based on unique formations and personnel grouping. Every game we tweak what we are doing so it looks different but the basic concepts are the same. run the ball, play good d etc. I like that we arent afraid to run certain plays deemed "gimicky" by everyone else, as long as they work more often than not. A well designed play only works well when it is going against the correct defense, and roman has made a few really nice playcalls that work well against certain defenses. clearly we saw something that made us think we could do what we did, or maybe harbaugh just wanted to show rex ryan who was the better coach.

Kudos to harbaugh and co for "manufacturing" a 34-0 road victory. I love how on the first play of the game we used a pumpfake. Ive been asking for one for a while. I hope they continue.

CK is just so exciting to watch, he gives our offense a spark. He is just so fast and has an absolute lazer for an arm. I dont know if he will ever have the same touch that alex has flashed from time to time, but I know he can sling it with the best of them. In a few years we are going to be the fastest offense in the NFL. CK LMJ AJ KH MM is just unreal. al davis would cry haha harbaugh seems to be grooming ck slowly. get his feet wet, take a few snaps undercenter in a real game, make a few plays in the run game to get his confidence up. use him sparingly when you want to dictate certain things to the offense.

I would be interested to see alex and CK on the field at the same time:

X---------UUOUUY-----------Z
-------------AS---------------
-------------------------------
------------------BM----------
-------------CK---------------

we could run the option to the right where gore/bruce would lead the way for CK as he gets the pitch to run, or as he steps back and looks for a streaking Y (VD) or whoever. This would require really good communication and dicispline because it would require the OL to chip the DL and then pull to the right without going beyond the LOS (because if it is a pass then its a penalty) and would then have to know if they should go down field to block (meaning CK decides to run) or if they should stay behind the LOS and look for DLman coming from the backside as CK has decided to chuck it deep. obviously gore/bruce would need to be equally as aware as the DL but they could also sneak out for a pass. Alex could also run but this play would most likely result in a pitch to CK that goes to the outside where he has plenty of blockers/space so he runs it. davis/boone hook the outside and inside backers, vernon blocks down on the DE. miller blocks the safety, Z blocks his man, CK beats everyone else in the footrace.

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
4evera9er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read. I think there's a certain degree of truth to what he's saying. But it's also hard to draw up a game plan to defend against an attack like this if you consider all the different options we have at our disposal (even if they are a complicated way of doing what other teams achieve in a more straightforward manner).
c0insnap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I don't think a few trick plays and different packages counts as trying to "manufacture" offense. I like the fact that we're letting our athletes make plays. I do agree that we need to execute better in our basic formations, though. No reason our passing game should struggle as much as it does considering how good our run game is. We're in 3rd and Medium/Short most of the time and can't make anything happen. We don't use play-action nearly as much and we don't take deep shots.

I was watching a few quarterbacks on Sunday and I kept saying to myself, "Alex would NEVER make that throw...". I really do think he hinders this teams offensive performance. He'll lock onto his main target and if that's taken away he gets happy feet and makes a nervous, inaccurate throw. If he's lucky, someone might get WIDE open and he'll have an easy one to make.

I would seriously like to see Colin Kaepernick get implemented more and more until it becomes clear that he's the better option as our starter... but we all know that won't happen.

Beast
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, we have seen performances from some QBs who some think are better than Alex that have made fans cringe. Romo and his 5 INTs last night, Peyton and his 3 INTs inside of 8 minutes...
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Cosell has pretty much been a consistent Alex hater, so yawn.. no surprise.

___
Miami49er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a few plays with Kaepernick is manufacturing offense per se. But I do think our offense passing game leaves a lot to be desired. we have probably the most creative running game in the NFL and yet our passing game is so pedestrian. with the run game this good we should be killing teams with play action and yet we rarely use play action. Alex still throws the ball short of the 1st down marker on 3rd downs. I'm going to say Greg Cosell is hating on Alex Smith because he gave him a LOT of praise in the first 2 games and during the playoff run. but the last 2 weeks Alex's play has left something to be desired. you watch our passing game and it's almost always the short dink and dunk pass and with maybe 2 or 3 deep passes a game to VD. with weapons like Moss, VD, Crabs, and Manningham, we should be throwing down field a lot more. there's no point in upgrading the offensive weapons if the passing game is going to be the same as last year with the short throws. i know Alex is not that type of qb to push the ball down the field like Matt Ryan does and he likes to play mistake free football which is fine but you have to take risks. be have to ability to take the top of a defense especially with the running game to compliment it. we're 3-1 and so you can't complain too much. but we won 34-0 and our base offense wasn't much of a reason for it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I love what Alex has done under Harbaugh, I feel like we've seen the best he has to offer, which is a QB that won't lose you games, but won't consistently win them either. I don't wanna come off as an Alex hater, but I've really liked what I've seen from CK, and I'm ready to see him take over next year with another offseason working with Harbaugh.

I would love to wrap up the division early so we can throw CK in there and see how he does. If not, and this is going to sound terrible, but I wouldn't mind a MINOR injury on Alex (like an ankle sprain or something) so that CK could get a week or two as a starter.

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_0 wrote:
While I love what Alex has done under Harbaugh, I feel like we've seen the best he has to offer, which is a QB that won't lose you games, but won't consistently win them either. I don't wanna come off as an Alex hater, but I've really liked what I've seen from CK, and I'm ready to see him take over next year with another offseason working with Harbaugh.

I would love to wrap up the division early so we can throw CK in there and see how he does. If not, and this is going to sound terrible, but I wouldn't mind a MINOR injury on Alex (like an ankle sprain or something) so that CK could get a week or two as a starter.
I agree with you. We keep hearing about how things take time, but how long is it going to take? We're 4 games in and only 1 TD has been to a WR. We need to get the ball moving through the air and the ground. I can see Kaep getting brought in more and more and maybe even taking over as the starter if this offense keeps being stale.

The injury thing I don't wish for. If Alex gets injured he better hope Kaep does bad because if Kaep does well he won't be getting his job back.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Miami49er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i honestly feel this is Alex's ceiling. he's not going to get much better than this. he's the guy that's going to make all the safe throws and not cost you any games. but with the talent on offense we need more than that. Alex CAN be more than that if he would let loose a little more and stop worrying about throwing an int and take more chances down the field.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Alex but the fact is that he won't take many shots down field. I think with our run game, we need to attempt a few of those during the game. Kaep has that mentality to just throw it up and let the Wr make a play. Sometimes Alex will do that and sometime he won't. maybe this past week was just a way to show up Rex Ryan or it could be a sign that Kaep will slowly creep up on Alex.

-Lork
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just another example of people around the NFL not liking creativity and thinking outside the box. What i take from this article is that we should not let our WR's run end arounds and not allow our insanely athletic backup QB see the field. We should line up in the same formations every play and force it to work. BE BORING!

I really dont understand why creating unique plays to catch the defense off guard has always been a bad thing. I personally love it when we do stuff like this. Its like your favorite team just scored off a trick play and opposing fans are like "Oh, well you have to resort to tricks to beat us, you cant just line up and play normal" Why cant that be normal? Why is it such a bad thing to be creative??? Why cant the opposing fan say " wow, that was a really awesome play that i've never seen before and it totally killed our defense" I just dont understand why the people around the NFL want to be so boring. This is the whole reason why Tebow is hated so much. Hes different and we dont like change so get out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely like to see Alex let loose and not care about being careful. I want to put teams away not have nail biters all the time.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
yayareaninerfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
This is just another example of people around the NFL not liking creativity and thinking outside the box. What i take from this article is that we should not let our WR's run end arounds and not allow our insanely athletic backup QB see the field. We should line up in the same formations every play and force it to work. BE BORING!

I really dont understand why creating unique plays to catch the defense off guard has always been a bad thing. I personally love it when we do stuff like this. Its like your favorite team just scored off a trick play and opposing fans are like "Oh, well you have to resort to tricks to beat us, you cant just line up and play normal" Why cant that be normal? Why is it such a bad thing to be creative??? Why cant the opposing fan say " wow, that was a really awesome play that i've never seen before and it totally killed our defense" I just dont understand why the people around the NFL want to be so boring. This is the whole reason why Tebow is hated so much. Hes different and we dont like change so get out.

Tebow is hated because he is not a good QB and is constantly given a pass and espn will not shut up about him. He is also hated because he openly states his religion.

With that being said, I agree with everything said here. I think Alex has hit his ceiling and we will not get much more out of him. I would love to see Kaep take some snaps earlier in the game (like this past game where he easily could have gone in at the beginning of the 4th as opposed to going in so late

Kenny Powers wrote:
Patrick Willis; runs like a cheetah, hits like a super pissed rhino
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is hating on Smith here, we're just saying that we need a spark in the pass game. I was cool with 200 yard games but 143 yards is useless. Last game it worked but that ain't gonna work when we go up against the Bills next week. We heard how things will get better, but they are worse so far. 1 TD from a WR in 4 games is disgraceful. If we want this to be our year, the offense needs to help the defense out and score some damn points and stop going 3 and out.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: