Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Cossell not a fan of the 49ers offense.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilmtalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with most of the posts on this thread. Will add that I think that Alex's main problem is in his head. Those years of stuggling have affected his confidence so that he only feels confident by playing it safe. I think Harbaugh must have known that and protected him to try to bring him along slowly. But if Scampernick continues to gain more of his confidence we might see Harbough make a change. Alex will be alright as long as he isn['t required to take risks but put the niners down a few scores and he doesn't seem to be able to respond. I think that is why Harbough had Scampernick throw that long Hail Mary to Randy. We might see him bring in Scampernick in an end game situation like existed at Min.
adamq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilmtalk wrote:
Agree with most of the posts on this thread. Will add that I think that Alex's main problem is in his head. Those years of stuggling have affected his confidence so that he only feels confident by playing it safe. I think Harbaugh must have known that and protected him to try to bring him along slowly. But if Scampernick continues to gain more of his confidence we might see Harbough make a change. Alex will be alright as long as he isn['t required to take risks but put the niners down a few scores and he doesn't seem to be able to respond. I think that is why Harbough had Scampernick throw that long Hail Mary to Randy. We might see him bring in Scampernick in an end game situation like existed at Min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxMz5h11CU

don't forget to check out his amazing cast of WRs, or the drive before this one.

-kiltman

Last edited by adamq on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
wilmtalk wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxMz5h11CU

don't forget to check out his amazing cast of WRs...
I knew what that was before I clicked. This is a new season, I'll wait and see again but so far I'm not impressed.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
sbrown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think Harbaugh must have known that and protected him to try to bring him along slowly

I think this is the biggest thing. Our passing game is far from vanilla. we have receivers running routes at each level. we have two of the top 10 route runners in the nfl. and if kyle williams traded jerseys with victor cruz no one would even know the difference. but yet our pasing results look the same as last year. I said it last season that it wasnt a lack of wr talent...we had it last season. but the execution of our passing game. I think alex's mentality is to play it safe and live to fight another play. Now he did air it out a little bit sunday. he was off on a few downfield passes to crabs and to MM. but I was happy to see those plays.

I think thats why many were excited about peyton coming here because our running game would have been the same but we would have still had the dynamics of a passing game.

I still dont worry much because I dont think our defense will allow a team to dominate us to the point where alex cant score a td or two to win a game. So Im not really concerned. I think at the end of the day ALex will be brad johnson, mark rypien for our superbowl team.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I actually see someone post they wouldnt mind seeing someone get hurt in order for someone else to get into the game? SMDH. There is a reason why we havent taken shots down the field and thats b\c we havent needed to. We did it in the Saints game b\c we needed to. The playcalling right now is designed to protect the ball. Tight formations. We are 3-1 but let some of you tell it the sky is falling. How quickly people forget.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
Miami49er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Did I actually see someone post they wouldnt mind seeing someone get hurt in order for someone else to get into the game? SMDH. There is a reason why we havent taken shots down the field and thats b\c we havent needed to. We did it in the Saints game b\c we needed to. The playcalling right now is designed to protect the ball. Tight formations. We are 3-1 but let some of you tell it the sky is falling. How quickly people forget.
we HAVE needed to take some shots down the field. he tried throwing deep a couple of times on Sunday but he can't seem to hit anyone deep not named VD. every offense needs to take shots down the field. if our defense wasn't this good we would not be 3-1 with this offense.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
we HAVE needed to take some shots down the field. he tried throwing deep a couple of times on Sunday but he can't seem to hit anyone deep not named VD. every offense needs to take shots down the field. if our defense wasn't this good we would not be 3-1 with this offense.

So it was the defense that put up 30 points on the Packers and 27 on the Lions? Out of that 57 points in those two games Alex accounted for 28. I dont get what the big deal is right now. Its not the most wide open offense in the NFL, but anyone who seen this offense at Stanford knows its not the most explosive vertical offense. It is a traditional WCO. I think the connection with the deep ball will come. It has only been off by a half a step of so last game. Not to mention Kyle wilson held up the WR's on a couple of occasions.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
Miami49er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Miami49er wrote:
Gridirongreat#9 wrote:

So it was the defense that put up 30 points on the Packers and 27 on the Lions? Out of that 57 points in those two games Alex accounted for 28. I dont get what the big deal is right now. Its not the most wide open offense in the NFL, but anyone who seen this offense at Stanford knows its not the most explosive vertical offense. It is a traditional WCO. I think the connection with the deep ball will come. It has only been off by a half a step of so last game. Not to mention Kyle wilson held up the WR's on a couple of occasions.
so through 4 games we only have 1 TD pass to a WR. that's not a problem to you? you know hwy it doesn't seem like we need to throw deep? because our defense and running ability covers up the fact that we can't seem to throw more than 20 yards. not saying we can't win or we won't be able to go to the playoffs but once we get to the playoffs this offense NEEDS to more explosive than it is. you can't tell me every Niner fan wasn't expecting more explosiveness on offense after the upgrade on offense. Harbaugh and Baalke signed Moss a Manningham and drafted AJ Jenkins for a reason. Harbaugh and Baalke went hard after Peyton Manning for a reason. because Harbaugh does want a more effective passing game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

record: 3-1

and three of the four were on the road..

Smile everyone and trust in Harbaugh. If one QB isn't getting it done in his eyes? He will make an appropriate decision. Beyond that? People are wasting their energy on worries instead of simply soaking up a good start to the season. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:

Smile everyone and trust in Harbaugh. If one QB isn't getting it done in his eyes? He will make an appropriate decision. Beyond that? People are wasting their energy on worries instead of simply soaking up a good start to the season. Smile
ok we're 3-1 so that means we should just be content? Every fan always wants to see their team get better no matter what the record is. We have a weakness. It's our passing game. You can act like it's all ok but some of us won't. We as fans should always expect greatness from our team no matter how good said team is. Don't get me wrong Oldie, I love puffin my chest when I tell people I'm a Niners fan and I'm loving the ride so far but I think it's ok that some of us want more.

"Keep choppin' wood"
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think fans of teams like the Packers who have a terrible run game or fans of the Colts when they were good but had no defense didn't ever complain about their teams because they had good records? Probably not because every fan will voice their opinions on how their teams will be better if they do this or that.

"Keep choppin' wood"
Yfz01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0insnap wrote:
Meh, I don't think a few trick plays and different packages counts as trying to "manufacture" offense. I like the fact that we're letting our athletes make plays. I do agree that we need to execute better in our basic formations, though. No reason our passing game should struggle as much as it does considering how good our run game is. We're in 3rd and Medium/Short most of the time and can't make anything happen. We don't use play-action nearly as much and we don't take deep shots.

I was watching a few quarterbacks on Sunday and I kept saying to myself, "Alex would NEVER make that throw...". I really do think he hinders this teams offensive performance. He'll lock onto his main target and if that's taken away he gets happy feet and makes a nervous, inaccurate throw. If he's lucky, someone might get WIDE open and he'll have an easy one to make.

I would seriously like to see Colin Kaepernick get implemented more and more until it becomes clear that he's the better option as our starter... but we all know that won't happen.

This post!! That's 100 percent how i feel about Alex.

As a Moss fan, I have a clear bias towards the QB that will throw his direction deep (Kaepernick) but even without that bias, Alex needs to work on progressing through his reads and not limit himself to the short and intermediate game.

Lil Uno with the sig.
iwentundrafted

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
i honestly feel this is Alex's ceiling. he's not going to get much better than this. he's the guy that's going to make all the safe throws and not cost you any games. but with the talent on offense we need more than that. Alex CAN be more than that if he would let loose a little more and stop worrying about throwing an int and take more chances down the field.

Thats it right there. I think fans have a lot to do with this but either way that shouldnt affect the way you approach/play the game. I think that he knows the crowed will boo if he throws a pick and he doesnt want a repeat of that so he feels much comfortable throwing short and hoping the WR picks up the 1st. Also the better Kaep looks I think it also doesnt help Alex gain confidence. Either way we HAVE to take shots. Alex needs to trust his WR's can win a one on one or get the PI call.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge part of this debate comes from what we want out of our QB. For me, if we're going the route of smash mouth, run first I would have no problems with low risk play. But those guys could make teams pay deep when they loaded up and its time we do the same. We've seen how many times Moss and other receivers have been open or had 1 on 1, if we hit even half of those routes, we become one of the deadliest, if not the deadliest offense in the game. The difference between us being one of the best and THE best is our passing attack. We don't need to be GB or NO but it is of the utmost importance to punish teams. We will destroy ANY team and cruise to a super bowl if that can become common place.

However, if we can't hit those deep to intermediate balls our margin of error becomes VERY slim. Think about how many close games we've had over the years. Now think, how many of those games would of been total blowouts had we had a better passing game. Need I remind us of NY(injuries, i know. But that was a putrid game by the offense as a whole). I'm glad we have the best running game in the league, but if one of our guys goes down, or a linemen goes down we could be in a WORLD of hurt. We play games close to the chest, sometimes far too close.

xsaMainevent on the sig
TheFallofRome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:

Gotta agree with you. I never thought that I'd log in here tonight and find this much discontent when the 9ers are 3-1. If we start losing from a lack of offense and can't mount comebacks, then I will be concerned. The Vikings game was awful but every team has bad games. Besides, what if Harbaugh threw in Kaep and began losing when he started 3-1? Better to make that substitution when there is cause for near-panic, I think.

^Thanks to Salt&Pepper for the custom sig!^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: