Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Tebow "Conspiracy"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: The Tebow "Conspiracy" Reply with quote

This is going up on thejetsblog.com tomorrow, but a sneak peak for you guys, because I love you a lot and I wish you the best.

=================================================

The first post I ever wrote for TheJetsBlog was about the Tim Tebow trade. I stated at the time that I was actually hesitant to believe that this move had the hands of Woody Johnson all over it, and that for better or for worse it was Rex Ryan's unwavering confidence in getting the most out of players and interest in acquiring a positive locker room influence that ultimately set the wheels in motion. I'm embarrassed to admit how naive that was, though I can't blame myself. I was desperately trying to make sense of a move that really didn't make any sense at all in the first place.

The media circus quickly kicked into overdrive when the trade happened. Radio shows, journalists and TV pundits talked about the trade with a level of fanfare as if the Jets had just acquired Peyton Manning and many suggested it was only a matter of time until Tim Tebow took over for Sanchez as the starting quarterback. After all, Tim Tebow is a "winner". It's been proven as science fact. He quarterbacked Denver to an 8-8 record, showed a number of late game heroics and even won a playoff game. This has been hammered home repeatedly, while the fact that Mark Sanchez has never had a losing record as a starter, has actually had games where he has thrown for more than two touchdowns(in the playoffs no less), has a winning record in the playoffs, has an even more impressive fourth quarter comeback record than Tebow, and nearly quarterbacked the Jets to a Super Bowl twice goes undiscussed. But I digress.

We're at a point now where it seems that nearly every Jets fan's biggest fear is about to come true. It appears that the conspiracy is in full effect: Sanchez and the Jets offense has sputtered against a number of good defenses in the early going and will go up against another top defense against Houston next Monday night which may end up being the final nail in the coffin.

But think about some of these things. The Jets gave Sanchez an extension before the Tim Tebow trade, and it basically guarantees he'll be on the roster next season. The Jets, regardless of what happens this season, are still stuck with Mark Sanchez and will be paying him a lot of money to be on the roster. They have no such commitments to Tim Tebow, who can even be cut next season if the Jets so choose. The Jets have already played four games, three of which saw the offense struggle to find success for large periods yet Tebow's work in these games as a quarterback was minimal and Sanchez stayed the course even if he wasn't productive. Before the season Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum and Tony Sparano were all unified in laughing off the suggestion that Tebow could compete or overtake Sanchez as the starting quarterback and were resolute in their belief. Even still, Rex Ryan is adamant about Sanchez as the starter. Perhaps he recognizes Sanchez as the only potentially solid quarterback on the roster as was the preseason conventional logic amongst Jets fans, or perhaps he feels that Tannenbaum, Ryan, and Sanchez are all attached at the hip. Sanchez was Ryan and Tannenbaum's major investment, and if Sanchez goes they may go with him. The idea of there being some secret plan to get Tebow into the starting lineup just doesn't add up.

So what is Tebow's role with the Jets, exactly? Rex Ryan had previously described him shortly after the trade happened as a talented backup with some unique talents. He's lined up as a punt protector, he's taken some snaps as a wildcat quarterback, he's ran some routes as a tight end and he's thrown some blocks as a fullback. He's been a little bit of everywhere though his impact has ultimately been minimal thus far. As mentioned before, the Jets have had opportunities to use Tebow as a "spark player" but appear to be reluctant to do so. Why is this? Was Tebow acquired simply in an attempt to light a fire under Sanchez?

It's becoming clear to me that the Jets don't really know quite what to do with Tebow, which is a little strange for a player with such a unique skill set they traded a decent draft pick for. One would expect that if Ryan, Sparano and Tannenbaum all thought it was a good idea to acquire Tebow, they'd have clearly identified a way to utilize him well before the Jets were even practicing up in Cortland. Frankly, much to the chagrin of the lovely football intellectuals on ESPN's First Take, it's clear that there is no Tim Tebow conspiracy. Because the word "conspiracy" implies that something exists that there is absolutely no evidence of: a plan. Since the season has actually kicked off, has there been anything less evident regarding Tim Tebow than a defined role for his utilization? The use of Tebow on offense thus far has been representative of the Jets entire offense: an unproductive mess.

There is no conspiracy to make him the starter and there's no special activation of Tebow as the "secret weapon" imminent. It's starting to become plain that there's really nothing special planned at all outside of a meager attempt to force a creative wrinkle to an already sputtering offense and a number of cute ways to take advantage of Tebow's manufactured "he's just a football player!" persona. It's time to call this move what it was and all it ever will amount to being, and that's a publicity stunt led by owner Woody Johnson that has only served to further paint the Jets as one of the league's biggest sideshows. Woody Johnson is somewhere laughing at his own stroke of genius.

After all, there's something to be said about Woody's Jets acquiring a player that they don't even have to play in order to make his team the most talked about in sports. Tebow's popularity is not contingent on him being a starter, and whether he enters the starting lineup or not the attention will still be there, because that's Tim Tebow. If he's starting, ESPN will talk all day about how he will perform. If Sanchez is starting but struggling, ESPN will talk all day about how Tebow should be starting. If Sanchez is playing out of his mind, than ESPN will talk about how do the Jets find a way to still get Tebow on the field. Perhaps at this point with things looking on the brink of complete collapse, the only hope is that this trade doesn't become representative of the entire Rex Ryan era: an obnoxious, relentless, annoying sideshow that ultimately has nothing productive to show for it.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an excellent piece. You really hit the nail on the head. The Jets really don't have any need for Tebow, yet they traded a 4th round pick for him. He has brought much more harm than good to the team.

Whether Tebow is partially responsible or not, Mark Sanchez has not turned into the QB he should have been and the team did not do enough to help him. Think of what the 4th round pick could have been used on. A veteran like James Jones. A player in the draft such as Alfred Morris or Ben Jones. As good as these players have been, none of then would have turned Sanchez into Aaron Rodgers. However they could have at least made the offense a bit less of a joke. Once again, symbolic of our entire organization. It's time for change.
sandwhich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really any new information or even new insight but it is a nice summary on the situation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good read, and something I think we all are wondering after 4 games into the season. We all thought Tebow would be used like Kaepernick was used this past Sunday, but Tebow will get a play or two and then come out and let Sanchez back in. And it seems like the plays where Tebow actually runs, it looks like it is the same play all the time and he always gets tackled behind the line. I don't think we are using him correctly, and I just think our offense is in a huge mess right now because no matter who is starting at QB we have barely any talent around them.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know your name. I prepare up gears.

Tannenbaun actually called Tebow as 2nd quarterback on the team so promptly, Drew Stanton was traded. Stanton can run and pass better than Tebow but Tebow "carried" the bum team into a playoff and won first postseason game with his arm.

Why did Tannenbaum think that way is beyond me.
The Third Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know last year you guys kept hammering Brian Schottenheimer for being completely predictable with the offense and even blamed him for Sanchez struggles. I will repeat what I said last year and what is coming to fruition this year; The Jets simply put lack talent on offense. You cannot not run a complex offense if they cannot execute vanilla playbook. To me Tebow is both a publicity stunt but also an attempt to add playmaker/talent to what is otherwise an extremely weak unit, plain and simple. Most teams don't need that kind of gamble but for a 4th the Jets might as well try. What position has Tebow not played already?

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you won't be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third Rider wrote:
I know last year you guys kept hammering Brian Schottenheimer for being completely predictable with the offense and even blamed him for Sanchez struggles. I will repeat what I said last year and what is coming to fruition this year; The Jets simply put lack talent on offense. You cannot not run a complex offense if they cannot execute vanilla playbook. To me Tebow is both a publicity stunt but also an attempt to add playmaker/talent to what is otherwise an extremely weak unit, plain and simple. Most teams don't need that kind of gamble but for a 4th the Jets might as well try. What position has Tebow not played already?

Certainly has some truth to it, and honestly I think all of us in this forum overrated this offense to a degree. We all thought our OL would be one of the best in football, because they were so good 2 years ago. Truth is, both of our OGs and RT are just average, and this has become painfully obvious this year with how hard it is for us to run the ball. One season of bad play can be a fluke, but 2 years in a row and it becomes a trend. The only consistent playmakers we have are Holmes and Keller, and that's it. We all knew Hill would be raw, but still we expected more of an impact from him.

Schotty was part of the problem, no doubt. But I think we are seeing that even without him we still needed to make personnel changes in order to be competitive. And that falls on our front office, and coaching staff for not evaluating properly.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
Ataal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to jump in here like this, but I find the whole Tebow thing intriguing. It baffles me how I can watch so many games from last year and think, "this guy is horrible...." and someone else watching the exact same games is thinking, "wow this guy is amazing!" Such a polarizing figure, to say the least.

I think, at some point, a coach is going to find Tebow's bread and butter. Maybe it's Rex, who knows. That's what it seems like Rex is trying to do by putting him in so many different situations. What position can Tebow play that would make him an asset, not a liability to this team? Maybe Tebow spends the rest of his career on special teams for someone. Kick returner? Blocker? Field goal ball holder? One thing is for sure, there's not a coach in this league that would start Tebow if they didn't have to. Considering how poorly Sanchez has been playing, that's saying a lot.

I don't envy the circus of polarization that Tebow brings to your team. Hopefully, Tebow will find his niche sooner than later.

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third Rider wrote:

The lack of talent is definitely evident, but predictability was only one flaw under Brian Schottenheimer. He also seemed to forget common logic last season and consistently called plays that would isolate Wayne Hunter, abandon the run in short yardage situations almost entirely, and completely ignore high percentage passing plays and bootlegs.

It wasn't just his play calling...it was his overall scheme. That being said, your original point remains true.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:

The lack of talent is definitely evident, but predictability was only one flaw under Brian Schottenheimer. He also seemed to forget common logic last season and consistently called plays that would isolate Wayne Hunter, abandon the run in short yardage situations almost entirely, and completely ignore high percentage passing plays and bootlegs.

It wasn't just his play calling...it was his overall scheme. That being said, your original point remains true.

Sparano offense lacks of bootlegs too. Something is off.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term "Genius" should never be used in the same sentence with Woody Johnson. He's lucky he was born into wealth, or he might have wound up an assistant manager at a Kinko's somewhere. I have a feeling we may overestimate this man's abilities sometimes.

I honestly suspect the Tebow trade went down like this: The Jets investigate every player oppportunity, they had a goal of building a better atmosphere in the lockeroom in the offseason, and they wanted a QB to push Mark Sanchez, but they didn't want to spend 4 million a year for a guy that theoretically wouldn't be playing on Sunday- and might outplay Sanchez in the preseason.

I think they may even have purposly overstated how much of an impact they really expected him to have, because they couldn't say publicly they were trying to keep Sanchez's head in the game. I can't imagine, if they know their fan base at all, that they'd think Tim Tebow would sell one PSL.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LINK

I'm at a loss for words.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This entire article is based on the quote from Woody Johnson that "you can never have enough Tebow", which as Rex has explained, was an attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor during an interview in which Johnson was asked to respond to the saturation coverage of Tebow and the Jets during training camp. It's just the typical bottomfeeder sports press stirring the pot over nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
LINK

I'm at a loss for words.

If this is true I'm going to be sick to my stomach. And after the retching stops, I'm going to start posting mean things about Woody.

I'm seriously ready for this franchise to come under some new ownership.
moham-17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
This entire article is based on the quote from Woody Johnson that "you can never have enough Tebow", which as Rex has explained, was an attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor during an interview in which Johnson was asked to respond to the saturation coverage of Tebow and the Jets during training camp. It's just the typical bottomfeeder sports press stirring the pot over nothing.

There was more than that dude.

""Two people who know Johnson, and know how he runs his football operation, believe he will push his football people to start Tebow," Cimini wrote Tuesday."

Woody Johnson is the biggest clown of an owner I've ever seen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: