Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Heres the keys to the Oakland Raiders, begin.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Heres the keys to the Oakland Raiders, begin. Reply with quote

THE SKY IS FALLING... or atleast it seems that way these days. There is alot of mixed emotions going around our forum recently. Some people have finally been brought down to earth after the Denver game and realized how weak our team currently is. Injuries suck, yes, and have really hampered us, but thats apart of the game. The bottom line is our team just isnt that great guys. Then there are some fans, myself included, who arent really shocked by our struggles. Now there are alot of different opinions floating around regarding: 1. Reggie is only "setting us back" 2. Dennis Allen not impressing, especially in his specialty of defence 3. Player X sucking 4. The offensive schemes sucking... etc etc.

Now im curious what everyone would do if they were Mark Davis. You have complete control of this team. What would be on your list of things to do starting now up until next season begins? Coaching changes, GM changes, player changes... anything goes.

FOR ME, I am sooooo sick of "reloading". We have been the definition of average the past 2 years, and before we have been absolute crap trying to make splashes in FA and drafting "flashy" players instead of football players. If I am Mark, I would roughly do as follows.

1. Keep Reggie, without a doubt in my mind. He is the future of our team. He was given absolute - this past season, and managed to still make technically sound decisions regardless of the situation. Not thrilled about the Berg pick, but the rest of the draft I love. We may have found some potential solid finds in King, Criner, Rod and Burris. The FA signings I am content with, it just sucks the CB's got killed this year.

2. Keep DA. I for one am happy with him (which noone else seems to be). Yes the team isnt performing as some hoped, but look at our friggen starters on half the team. Look at the depth. We have little to no depth, and the starters are overpaid like no other. I love the fact we have cut down substantially on the penalties. I like his communication skills and how he handles himself to the media.

3. Scrap Knapp. I for one was never happy about this hire, and I hate it even more now seeing the lack of explosion and running game results. The WCO for me is meh. I like the high % throws, but hate the lack of explosiveness. I LOATH the ZBS now. DMAC is way to fast and not enough vision for this system. Get a more aggressive, creative OC that impliments a more PBS, and we will see our O continue to improve.

4. Trade/cut overpaid and under performing vets. Enough said. There is no room for scholarships on this team anymore. I truely believe Seymour, Kelly, McClain (unless he plays ALOT better)... maybe even DHB sadly, well get cut after this season due to their ridiculous salaries. CLEAR THE BOOKS. Completely guy this team of all its over rated players for once. We can not keep on patching up holes with duct tape. We need to completely analyze our roster and get some young, hungry players.

5. Draft/sign BPA. Greenbay has a habit of doing these types of drafts and look at them now. If we are gutting this team like I hope, we will look for BPA to make an immediate impact now and for the future.

I dont know about you guys, but I am honestly willing to sacrifice 2 more years of bad football if that means our team FIIIIINALLY gets on track. I dont think that is unreasonable at all. I want a young, hungry, aggressive team that plays as a team. I am so sick of drafting athletes, I am so sick of making splashes in FA, and I am so sick of overpaying for players. Reggie has finally started to steer us in the right direction, and in order to completely retool this team as winners, we will need to cut alot more fat in order to get us into the PO's continuously within the next 3 years.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ya brother. I like Allen, he has already reduced our penalties severely and I think some people are really underrating that. Yes, we are still losing games but we have been one of the most penalized teams for what seems like most of my life. I've watched like 6+ coaches come through and non of them put a stop to our penalty problem. Allen has done it from day one.

I like Reggie, I like Allen, I like Tarver, I hate Knapp. I hate this offensive scheme and would prefer to let Saunders take over. The guy has some pretty damn impressive years as a OC under his belt. You are spot on about our roster: full of average players with no depth. Realistically about half our defense shouldn't be starters, our OL still has underachievers or just plain bad players. Our WR corps was promising, but after injuries we look thin there. The list goes on.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
holyghost

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
I'm with ya brother. I like Allen, he has already reduced our penalties severely and I think some people are really underrating that. Yes, we are still losing games but we have been one of the most penalized teams for what seems like most of my life. I've watched like 6+ coaches come through and non of them put a stop to our penalty problem. Allen has done it from day one.

I like Reggie, I like Allen, I like Tarver, I hate Knapp. I hate this offensive scheme and would prefer to let Saunders take over. The guy has some pretty damn impressive years as a OC under his belt. You are spot on about our roster: full of average players with no depth. Realistically about half our defense shouldn't be starters, our OL still has underachievers or just plain bad players. Our WR corps was promising, but after injuries we look thin there. The list goes on.

On only one point - the OL has issues. Veldheer - new system. Slightly overrated as he hasn't hit any pro bowls yet as far as I see. Carlisle, he wouldn't start for a single other team. Wisniewski, missed entire offseason in a new system at a new position. Brisiel, a mediocre starter paid as such. Willie Smith, mid season cut pickup - what do we expect?

And in general, what could we expect?
Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:

On only one point - the OL has issues. Veldheer - new system. Slightly overrated as he hasn't hit any pro bowls yet as far as I see. Carlisle, he wouldn't start for a single other team. Wisniewski, missed entire offseason in a new system at a new position. Brisiel, a mediocre starter paid as such. Willie Smith, mid season cut pickup - what do we expect?

And in general, what could we expect?

Not making a Probowl is a very poor reason to call Veldheer overrated...

Mike Brisiel was actually a good starter for the Texans BTW.
CaliforniaKid7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Get rid of Knapp

2 Clear out the over paid players

3 Draft BPA

Im happy. In that order too.

big thanks to OakleyCap on the sig
Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts with having good systems in place on both sides of the ball. Until that happens, this team isn't getting any better.
lilcrazycat1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would not mind trading down to get more picks , espec since we dont have a 2
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilcrazycat1 wrote:

+1

This is the only thing I would add to the original post as much as it would hurt to pass on a player as impactful as Milliner. The Raiders will regret not drafting Josh Chapman. Cam Thomas was another 5th rounder, iirc, that folks on this board were high on.
TheAutumnWind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
lilcrazycat1 wrote:

+1

This is the only thing I would add to the original post as much as it would hurt to pass on a player as impactful as Milliner. The Raiders will regret not drafting Josh Chapman. Cam Thomas was another 5th rounder, iirc, that folks on this board were high on.

Yup... flipped my lid when we passed on him twice... or was it 3x's!?? (although I was happy we picked up Burris) Can't believe also that we didn't nab Richard Sherman from Stanford in the 5th!!! Kid is lookin really good so far Brick wall
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilcrazycat1 wrote:

I would love a trade down, forgot to add that to my list. However, I dont think I would if I had to opportunity to draft Jarvis Jones. This guy is Von Miller 2.0! Also, how do you guys feel about drafting a real QBOTF in Geno Smith? Wink Ive recently fallen inlove with this prospect. Big, good speed, accurate, amazing deep ball, smart, leader. This dude has it all and I would HATE for the Chiefs to draft him.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Jamethus92

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). Keep Reggie McKenzie - I can't believe how many people are up in arms about Reggie after just 4 games. You have to give a GM time to implement his strategy. That being said.

2). Keep Allen until the end of next season, at least. - Allen will need to show marked improvement but until then, he's a young coach with a team that he inherited who needs time to build his system.

3). Give Knapp until the end of this year, at least. - Nobody has been happy with Knapp's offense so far and I also understand that he must find players to fit his system, not taylor his system around his players. However, in today's NFL, with all the money being paid to McFadden, you'd really like to see much more production. If the playcalling/execution on offense doesn't improve, maybe needs to be reevaluated at the end of the year.

4). Stick to the M.O. in Free Agency. - No big names unless they are system fits and make fiscal sense. No need to splurge anymore unless it's on a guy that will really improve us in the long run. Should probably be focusing on at least 1 starting CB, DT and OL depth.

5). Find system fits at BPA in the draft. - I could see a Jarvis Jones as the first round pick as a desperately needed passrusher. We should look at trading down to acquire more picks a la New England. We should also be looking at help in the secondary, running back depth, and maybe another QB to groom (not a fan of Geno Smith, though).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Heres the keys to the Oakland Raiders, begin. Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
THE SKY IS FALLING... or atleast it seems that way these days. There is alot of mixed emotions going around our forum recently. Some people have finally been brought down to earth after the Denver game and realized how weak our team currently is. Injuries suck, yes, and have really hampered us, but thats apart of the game. The bottom line is our team just isnt that great guys. Then there are some fans, myself included, who arent really shocked by our struggles. Now there are alot of different opinions floating around regarding: 1. Reggie is only "setting us back" 2. Dennis Allen not impressing, especially in his specialty of defence 3. Player X sucking 4. The offensive schemes sucking... etc etc.

Now im curious what everyone would do if they were Mark Davis. You have complete control of this team. What would be on your list of things to do starting now up until next season begins? Coaching changes, GM changes, player changes... anything goes.

FOR ME, I am sooooo sick of "reloading". We have been the definition of average the past 2 years, and before we have been absolute crap trying to make splashes in FA and drafting "flashy" players instead of football players. If I am Mark, I would roughly do as follows.

1. Keep Reggie, without a doubt in my mind. He is the future of our team. He was given absolute - this past season, and managed to still make technically sound decisions regardless of the situation. Not thrilled about the Berg pick, but the rest of the draft I love. We may have found some potential solid finds in King, Criner, Rod and Burris. The FA signings I am content with, it just sucks the CB's got killed this year.

2. Keep DA. I for one am happy with him (which noone else seems to be). Yes the team isnt performing as some hoped, but look at our friggen starters on half the team. Look at the depth. We have little to no depth, and the starters are overpaid like no other. I love the fact we have cut down substantially on the penalties. I like his communication skills and how he handles himself to the media.

3. Scrap Knapp. I for one was never happy about this hire, and I hate it even more now seeing the lack of explosion and running game results. The WCO for me is meh. I like the high % throws, but hate the lack of explosiveness. I LOATH the ZBS now. DMAC is way to fast and not enough vision for this system. Get a more aggressive, creative OC that impliments a more PBS, and we will see our O continue to improve.

4. Trade/cut overpaid and under performing vets. Enough said. There is no room for scholarships on this team anymore. I truely believe Seymour, Kelly, McClain (unless he plays ALOT better)... maybe even DHB sadly, well get cut after this season due to their ridiculous salaries. CLEAR THE BOOKS. Completely guy this team of all its over rated players for once. We can not keep on patching up holes with duct tape. We need to completely analyze our roster and get some young, hungry players.

5. Draft/sign BPA. Greenbay has a habit of doing these types of drafts and look at them now. If we are gutting this team like I hope, we will look for BPA to make an immediate impact now and for the future.

I dont know about you guys, but I am honestly willing to sacrifice 2 more years of bad football if that means our team FIIIIINALLY gets on track. I dont think that is unreasonable at all. I want a young, hungry, aggressive team that plays as a team. I am so sick of drafting athletes, I am so sick of making splashes in FA, and I am so sick of overpaying for players. Reggie has finally started to steer us in the right direction, and in order to completely retool this team as winners, we will need to cut alot more fat in order to
get us into the PO's continuously within the next 3 years.

Definitely agree on 1 & 2, not sure about 2 (as I think it might work, given time). I'll think about others later.
Raidin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep doing it as we are.
bitty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stop with the Green Bay stuff, without Rogers what are they?They have no defense and no running game. They got lucky and drafted 2 great players but most are below average. Everything about Green Bay is overrated.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAutumnWind wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
lilcrazycat1 wrote:

+1

Yup... flipped my lid when we passed on him twice... or was it 3x's!?? (although I was happy we picked up Burris) Can't believe also that we didn't nab Richard Sherman from Stanford in the 5th!!! Kid is lookin really good so far Brick wall

We took D.Moore in the 5th. An excellent pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: