Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Rivera in your dog house yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
shawn


Joined: 02 Nov 2005
Posts: 5867
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Moody wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Moody wrote:
Quote:
I see what you are saying now.

We should fire the whole staff and hire a new one. And if they dont pan out in a year, fire them too.

Continuity is overrated. The players dont need it. They can just pick up a new game plan every season.

Come on, man. How many times have you watched bad teams play musical chairs with their staff positions? When does it ever work? This is how it works when you have a 1 win season. You bring a guy in to interview. You listen to his plan. If you like it, you hire him. And then you give him time to implement his plan. Give him time to aquire players. Give him time to install his system. You give him time to change the culture.

I dont agree with the calls. I dont like losing. But you have to be patient. And, if anyone was wondering, I was one of the biggest "fire Fox" guys around. So its not like I cant let go or dont like change. I am just saying any change at this point is wildly premature.



None of this post changes the fact that his wildly inconsistent team is really only consistent at coming up short. But that's how the league works. The good teams pull out close games. He's in his second year and the team is playing worse than this time last year. It's year two. There are no more excuses for installing his system.

Use your eyes not your heart. His team has looked asleep every other week so far. I don't need to cite a single play, they looked like crap the entire game.

I question how much control he has over this team.


My heart? Are you kidding me? How about you use your head, not your heart? We arent winning and you are jumping the gun because of it.

Again, you couldnt find a more adamant fan when it came to wanting Fox gone. I am using my eyes. And what I am saying is you are jumping the gun. It's too soon. Give it time. You cant expect this team to ever be succesful if you change coaches like you change underwear.

We were a 1 win team. It's going to take time. You may question some of the calls. But you should be questioning the execution more. Chud and Rivera have been hit and miss. But more hits than misses. Chud and Rivera didnt fumble when converting a 3rd down that could have sealed the game. Chud and Rivera didnt throw the ball in the dirt when a guy was wide open 12 feet away. Chud and Rivera didnt backpedal 15 yards to try and stop a rainbow thrown from the end zone.



Rivera's record is 7-14. More hits than misses, huh? This past game looked just like the Bucs game. They look like sleepwalkers. They come out on the field and you can tell how a game is gonna play out based on the first five minutes. That's bad coaching. Where is the mental toughness of this team?


It doesn't matter how close they were to winning anymore. They are 1-4 and they show up every other week.

People said the Falcons game needed to be a much better performance after the Giants game. They came close but they didn't win. This game was the same. They needed to come out and respond to last week and get over it. They didn't.


What is Cam Newtons record as a starter?

Get the point? It would be way too soon to be calling for his head based on team record. Why? Because of the team he inherited. I mean, we all see Cam screwing up, right? But we understand that patience is necessary. That rotating QBs is detrimental to the offense and to the development of the team and it's ultimate goal. That this is a process. And even though we want the team to win now, that the team just doesnt have the talent to win now.

I dont know what your expectations were going into the season. But here were mine. 6 to 9 wins. If you expected more than that you were being impossibly optimistic. Maybe that's the issue. Maybe some folks in here really were riding a bit higher off last season than they should have.

This is going to take time. And patience.


I believe the correct lyrics are...

"it's gonna take time
A whole lot of precious time
It's gonna take patience and time, umm
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it To do it right, child"

believe it or not, I actually didn't come into this thread with the intentions of talking about crappy 80's songs. I was just reading through the thread and your post got me a little side tracked I suppose you could say...

anyway, I think it is way to soon to be talking about replacing Rivera. As a cards fan I can say, having a new head coach every 2-3 years is not exactly a fun thing to watch. Maybe Rivera doesnt have what it takes to be a head coach, but give him some time to respond to his teams struggles before you show him the door.
_________________

sig made by mike23md
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moody


Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Posts: 655
Location: Roma
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Moody wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Moody wrote:
Quote:
I see what you are saying now.

We should fire the whole staff and hire a new one. And if they dont pan out in a year, fire them too.

Continuity is overrated. The players dont need it. They can just pick up a new game plan every season.

Come on, man. How many times have you watched bad teams play musical chairs with their staff positions? When does it ever work? This is how it works when you have a 1 win season. You bring a guy in to interview. You listen to his plan. If you like it, you hire him. And then you give him time to implement his plan. Give him time to aquire players. Give him time to install his system. You give him time to change the culture.

I dont agree with the calls. I dont like losing. But you have to be patient. And, if anyone was wondering, I was one of the biggest "fire Fox" guys around. So its not like I cant let go or dont like change. I am just saying any change at this point is wildly premature.



None of this post changes the fact that his wildly inconsistent team is really only consistent at coming up short. But that's how the league works. The good teams pull out close games. He's in his second year and the team is playing worse than this time last year. It's year two. There are no more excuses for installing his system.

Use your eyes not your heart. His team has looked asleep every other week so far. I don't need to cite a single play, they looked like crap the entire game.

I question how much control he has over this team.


My heart? Are you kidding me? How about you use your head, not your heart? We arent winning and you are jumping the gun because of it.

Again, you couldnt find a more adamant fan when it came to wanting Fox gone. I am using my eyes. And what I am saying is you are jumping the gun. It's too soon. Give it time. You cant expect this team to ever be succesful if you change coaches like you change underwear.

We were a 1 win team. It's going to take time. You may question some of the calls. But you should be questioning the execution more. Chud and Rivera have been hit and miss. But more hits than misses. Chud and Rivera didnt fumble when converting a 3rd down that could have sealed the game. Chud and Rivera didnt throw the ball in the dirt when a guy was wide open 12 feet away. Chud and Rivera didnt backpedal 15 yards to try and stop a rainbow thrown from the end zone.



Rivera's record is 7-14. More hits than misses, huh? This past game looked just like the Bucs game. They look like sleepwalkers. They come out on the field and you can tell how a game is gonna play out based on the first five minutes. That's bad coaching. Where is the mental toughness of this team?


It doesn't matter how close they were to winning anymore. They are 1-4 and they show up every other week.

People said the Falcons game needed to be a much better performance after the Giants game. They came close but they didn't win. This game was the same. They needed to come out and respond to last week and get over it. They didn't.


What is Cam Newtons record as a starter?

Get the point? It would be way too soon to be calling for his head based on team record. Why? Because of the team he inherited. I mean, we all see Cam screwing up, right? But we understand that patience is necessary. That rotating QBs is detrimental to the offense and to the development of the team and it's ultimate goal. That this is a process. And even though we want the team to win now, that the team just doesnt have the talent to win now.

I dont know what your expectations were going into the season. But here were mine. 6 to 9 wins. If you expected more than that you were being impossibly optimistic. Maybe that's the issue. Maybe some folks in here really were riding a bit higher off last season than they should have.

This is going to take time. And patience.


Could you at least make some type of argument that isn't based off pure faith? Bringing up Newton's record is a joke. Newton is the only reason we weren't calling for Rivera's job last year.

2011: 27 points average
2012: 25 point average (Seattle and Tampa help this a ton)

Time and patience doesn't make Rivera any less inept. He has done nothing to prove someone else couldn't do a better job so far. He hasn't made this team more motivated or brought better execution. They still get penalized too much. They still don't have the mental toughness. What player has he really improved?

As for coaching consistency: plenty of coaches have come in to organizations and had instant success. Recently, the Harbaughs, Sean Payton, Rex Ryan all made their organization better and made the playoffs. Sticking with Rivera for consistency not a reason to stick with him. Hiring him is a sunk cost.

Bruce Arians has a better signature win in his one game as HC than Rivera does in 21 games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 28828
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
Could you at least make some type of argument that isn't based off pure faith?


I'm not making an argument based off pure faith. That's impossible when I dont believe Rivera will succeed or fail. My argument is you, you sitting there reading this at your computer, are in panic mode and you are jumping the gun. Period.

That isnt a faith based argument. That's a logic based argument.

Quote:
Bringing up Newton's record is a joke. Newton is the only reason we weren't calling for Rivera's job last year.


It isnt a joke at all. Let me spell it out for you. RIVERA INHERITED A 2 WIN TEAM WITH HOLES ALL OVER IT AND A ROOKIE QB.

Expecting him to turn around within a season and suddenly field a 10 win team is ridiculous homerism. WE ARENT THAT GOOD!

Quote:
2011: 27 points average
2012: 25 point average (Seattle and Tampa help this a ton)


It's a fascinating stat...

truly...

Was it meant to elicit some kind of thought or discussion? Our defensive ppga has improved slightly. Fire Ron Rivera now. Confused

Quote:
Time and patience doesn't make Rivera any less inept.


But time and patience will give us time to give his performance a legitimate evaluation. Rather than jump the gun. Like you are suggesting.

Quote:
He has done nothing to prove someone else couldn't do a better job so far.


I am sure someone could do a better job. Someone could always do a better job. The point is someone could also do a worse job. Richardson doesnt have a crystal ball that helps him make that call. What if the next coach is worse? Much worse? Replacing a coach and actually improving at that spot are two different things. One is very easy to do. The other, as history has proven over and over, is not so easy to do.

We had years to evaluate Fox. Years to see what was him and what was the front office. Years to see what was him and what was player execution. We havent had that luxury with Rivera. We have had 1 and a quarter seasons. And, truth be told, 5 games we, as collective fans, werent happy with.

You are jumping the gun. I know I am being redundant. But I am trying to pound it into your head. You are in panic mode. Come down off the ledge. We arent that good a team.

Quote:
He hasn't made this team more motivated or brought better execution.


I disagree. I have seen a very motivated team. But its also a young team. And a team that has developed a losing culture. But theyre hungry.

Execution has to fall on the players.

Quote:
They still get penalized too much.


We are one of the better teams in the NFL when it comes to penalties/penalty yards per game. Like top 10. So I am not sure what you expect. But I guess there is always room for improvement.

Quote:
They still don't have the mental toughness.


Meh. Not realy quantifiable in any way. I see players making mistakes. You blame the coach because he is steering the ship. I say I would agree if it were a coach with any real amount of time to turn the team around. That doesnt describe Rivera.

Quote:
What player has he really improved?


How do you assign improvement? How do you determine what falls on the player and what falls on the coach? Again, you are using these terms that sound great but dont mean a lot. I could just as easily say the player isnt improving, lets cut him.

As for coaching consistency: plenty of coaches have come in to organizations and had instant success. Recently, the Harbaughs, Sean Payton, Rex Ryan all made their organization better and made the playoffs. Sticking with Rivera for consistency not a reason to stick with him. Hiring him is a sunk cost.

I bet you for every succesful coach you name, I can name 5 that werent. Care to take me up on that challenge?

Sticking with him for the sake of consistency IS a reason to stick with him. I'm not suggesting we stick with him indefinitely. Or swear some kind of blind allegience to him. I am saying give him longer than 5 disappointing games. And, lets be honest, this is about the last five games. Not last year. Dont kid yourself. Dont kid me.

Consistency matters within an organization. Continuity matters within an organization. They definitely matter in the development of young players. Particularly in the case of young QBs.

Quote:
Bruce Arians has a better signature win in his one game as HC than Rivera does in 21 games.


I have no idea what a "signature win" is. Is that some kind of Madden stat?
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Global Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 18782
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preach on, J Pep. Preach on.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marschmellow


Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 815
Location: North Carolina
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was beautiful (I mean this). I don't think Rivera is the best coach out there, but I do think that, as a franchise without a lot of money and prestige, we're unlikely to replace him with someone better. Give him some more time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 2228
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Moody wrote:
Could you at least make some type of argument that isn't based off pure faith?


I'm not making an argument based off pure faith. That's impossible when I dont believe Rivera will succeed or fail. My argument is you, you sitting there reading this at your computer, are in panic mode and you are jumping the gun. Period.

That isnt a faith based argument. That's a logic based argument.

Quote:
Bringing up Newton's record is a joke. Newton is the only reason we weren't calling for Rivera's job last year.


It isnt a joke at all. Let me spell it out for you. RIVERA INHERITED A 2 WIN TEAM WITH HOLES ALL OVER IT AND A ROOKIE QB.

Expecting him to turn around within a season and suddenly field a 10 win team is ridiculous homerism. WE ARENT THAT GOOD!

Quote:
2011: 27 points average
2012: 25 point average (Seattle and Tampa help this a ton)


It's a fascinating stat...

truly...

Was it meant to elicit some kind of thought or discussion? Our defensive ppga has improved slightly. Fire Ron Rivera now. Confused

Quote:
Time and patience doesn't make Rivera any less inept.


But time and patience will give us time to give his performance a legitimate evaluation. Rather than jump the gun. Like you are suggesting.

Quote:
He has done nothing to prove someone else couldn't do a better job so far.


I am sure someone could do a better job. Someone could always do a better job. The point is someone could also do a worse job. Richardson doesnt have a crystal ball that helps him make that call. What if the next coach is worse? Much worse? Replacing a coach and actually improving at that spot are two different things. One is very easy to do. The other, as history has proven over and over, is not so easy to do.

We had years to evaluate Fox. Years to see what was him and what was the front office. Years to see what was him and what was player execution. We havent had that luxury with Rivera. We have had 1 and a quarter seasons. And, truth be told, 5 games we, as collective fans, werent happy with.

You are jumping the gun. I know I am being redundant. But I am trying to pound it into your head. You are in panic mode. Come down off the ledge. We arent that good a team.

Quote:
He hasn't made this team more motivated or brought better execution.


I disagree. I have seen a very motivated team. But its also a young team. And a team that has developed a losing culture. But theyre hungry.

Execution has to fall on the players.

Quote:
They still get penalized too much.


We are one of the better teams in the NFL when it comes to penalties/penalty yards per game. Like top 10. So I am not sure what you expect. But I guess there is always room for improvement.

Quote:
They still don't have the mental toughness.


Meh. Not realy quantifiable in any way. I see players making mistakes. You blame the coach because he is steering the ship. I say I would agree if it were a coach with any real amount of time to turn the team around. That doesnt describe Rivera.

Quote:
What player has he really improved?


How do you assign improvement? How do you determine what falls on the player and what falls on the coach? Again, you are using these terms that sound great but dont mean a lot. I could just as easily say the player isnt improving, lets cut him.

As for coaching consistency: plenty of coaches have come in to organizations and had instant success. Recently, the Harbaughs, Sean Payton, Rex Ryan all made their organization better and made the playoffs. Sticking with Rivera for consistency not a reason to stick with him. Hiring him is a sunk cost.

I bet you for every succesful coach you name, I can name 5 that werent. Care to take me up on that challenge?

Sticking with him for the sake of consistency IS a reason to stick with him. I'm not suggesting we stick with him indefinitely. Or swear some kind of blind allegience to him. I am saying give him longer than 5 disappointing games. And, lets be honest, this is about the last five games. Not last year. Dont kid yourself. Dont kid me.

Consistency matters within an organization. Continuity matters within an organization. They definitely matter in the development of young players. Particularly in the case of young QBs.

Quote:
Bruce Arians has a better signature win in his one game as HC than Rivera does in 21 games.


I have no idea what a "signature win" is. Is that some kind of Madden stat?




Well said. Very well said.
_________________

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 28828
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Cooler heads shall prevail!!!
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moody


Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Posts: 655
Location: Roma
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Moody wrote:
Could you at least make some type of argument that isn't based off pure faith?


I'm not making an argument based off pure faith. That's impossible when I dont believe Rivera will succeed or fail. My argument is you, you sitting there reading this at your computer, are in panic mode and you are jumping the gun. Period.

That isnt a faith based argument. That's a logic based argument.

Quote:
Bringing up Newton's record is a joke. Newton is the only reason we weren't calling for Rivera's job last year.


It isnt a joke at all. Let me spell it out for you. RIVERA INHERITED A 2 WIN TEAM WITH HOLES ALL OVER IT AND A ROOKIE QB.

Expecting him to turn around within a season and suddenly field a 10 win team is ridiculous homerism. WE ARENT THAT GOOD!

Quote:
2011: 27 points average
2012: 25 point average (Seattle and Tampa help this a ton)


It's a fascinating stat...

truly...

Was it meant to elicit some kind of thought or discussion? Our defensive ppga has improved slightly. Fire Ron Rivera now. Confused

Quote:
Time and patience doesn't make Rivera any less inept.


But time and patience will give us time to give his performance a legitimate evaluation. Rather than jump the gun. Like you are suggesting.

Quote:
He has done nothing to prove someone else couldn't do a better job so far.


I am sure someone could do a better job. Someone could always do a better job. The point is someone could also do a worse job. Richardson doesnt have a crystal ball that helps him make that call. What if the next coach is worse? Much worse? Replacing a coach and actually improving at that spot are two different things. One is very easy to do. The other, as history has proven over and over, is not so easy to do.

We had years to evaluate Fox. Years to see what was him and what was the front office. Years to see what was him and what was player execution. We havent had that luxury with Rivera. We have had 1 and a quarter seasons. And, truth be told, 5 games we, as collective fans, werent happy with.

You are jumping the gun. I know I am being redundant. But I am trying to pound it into your head. You are in panic mode. Come down off the ledge. We arent that good a team.

Quote:
He hasn't made this team more motivated or brought better execution.


I disagree. I have seen a very motivated team. But its also a young team. And a team that has developed a losing culture. But theyre hungry.

Execution has to fall on the players.

Quote:
They still get penalized too much.


We are one of the better teams in the NFL when it comes to penalties/penalty yards per game. Like top 10. So I am not sure what you expect. But I guess there is always room for improvement.

Quote:
They still don't have the mental toughness.


Meh. Not realy quantifiable in any way. I see players making mistakes. You blame the coach because he is steering the ship. I say I would agree if it were a coach with any real amount of time to turn the team around. That doesnt describe Rivera.

Quote:
What player has he really improved?


How do you assign improvement? How do you determine what falls on the player and what falls on the coach? Again, you are using these terms that sound great but dont mean a lot. I could just as easily say the player isnt improving, lets cut him.

As for coaching consistency: plenty of coaches have come in to organizations and had instant success. Recently, the Harbaughs, Sean Payton, Rex Ryan all made their organization better and made the playoffs. Sticking with Rivera for consistency not a reason to stick with him. Hiring him is a sunk cost.

I bet you for every succesful coach you name, I can name 5 that werent. Care to take me up on that challenge?

Sticking with him for the sake of consistency IS a reason to stick with him. I'm not suggesting we stick with him indefinitely. Or swear some kind of blind allegience to him. I am saying give him longer than 5 disappointing games. And, lets be honest, this is about the last five games. Not last year. Dont kid yourself. Dont kid me.

Consistency matters within an organization. Continuity matters within an organization. They definitely matter in the development of young players. Particularly in the case of young QBs.

Quote:
Bruce Arians has a better signature win in his one game as HC than Rivera does in 21 games.


I have no idea what a "signature win" is. Is that some kind of Madden stat?




Well said. Very well said.


How was I burned?

There isn't any evidence that Rivera is doing a good job and you've proved it. If there was any, you'd have brought it up by now.

Does anyone here know what the disposition effect is? I doubt it, but Jpep is a prime example in action for anyone interested in behavioral biases.

But please, keep bringing these soft, faith-based arguments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cpanthers178990


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 2494
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:


But please, keep bringing these soft, faith-based arguments.


Isn't the idea that if we bring someone else in for Rivera he will automatically be better a faith based argument?

There is no guarantee they will be better.
_________________

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sir_Purrr


Joined: 03 Mar 2005
Posts: 2743
Location: South Charlotte
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of his spirited interviews with the media Coach Ron Rivera hasn't shown any aptitude to suggest he will be a quality head coach in this league. Thus far. Penalties last year and so far this year is one of the worst in the league. Turn Over's, Time Management, questionable 3rd and 4th down decisions and a sideline attitude that looks like he's lost. There was one point where he was helping a player with a helmet during a critical 3rd down play for goodness sakes. You can try to defend him but it's like a salmon swiming up stream with a hungry bear waiting. You barely make headway only to be eaten in the end. The only good thing I see is that like Bill Belicheck there's a chance for him to turn it around. Belicheck was awful too in cleveland.

This team is too soft. If it's not DWill running out of bounds. It's WR's droping passes or a severe lack of tackling.

But hey I don't know [inappropriate/removed]. I'm just some stupid poster who isn't worth the time of day. I've never been right on here before. Ever. So please excuse this boring post.

Carry on...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iknowcool


Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Posts: 13039
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Moody wrote:


But please, keep bringing these soft, faith-based arguments.


Isn't the idea that if we bring someone else in for Rivera he will automatically be better a faith based argument?

There is no guarantee they will be better.


While I agree the front office shouldn't give up on Rivera yet or anything like that. Rapid coaching change is bad for a team. However, you can't look at it like that. There is never any guarantees in the NFL but you have to take chances. Rivera has been plagued with time management issues, team seemingly collapsing every second half (which screams poor halftime adjustments, same issue Fox had), and this year in 3 games we have came out completely flat to begin. Our team also doesn't seem to be all that disciplined. So I think it is fair that people are skeptical of him.

Again, don't think he should be fired. The team hasn't gotten that bad yet and is still competitive week to week. But I hope to see growth out of him. Maybe my opinion has been skewed seeing all of these bad teams manage to improve quickly because of great hires at head coach.

And this isn't me just blaming the coach for everything wrong with the team. I agree we're just not that talented, at least defensively (I have no idea what is up with us offensively outside of the fact Chud calls verts every pass play, never goes under center, Newton inconsistent, O-Line just bad, etc). I actually think Sean McDermott is a good defensive coordinator - our players are in position, they just can't tackle or backpedal way too early. My issues with Rivera go with the things he can control.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21045
Location: Waynesville, NC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir_Purrr wrote:
Outside of his spirited interviews with the media Coach Ron Rivera hasn't shown any aptitude to suggest he will be a quality head coach in this league. Thus far. Penalties last year and so far this year is one of the worst in the league. Turn Over's, Time Management, questionable 3rd and 4th down decisions and a sideline attitude that looks like he's lost. There was one point where he was helping a player with a helmet during a critical 3rd down play for goodness sakes. You can try to defend him but it's like a salmon swiming up stream with a hungry bear waiting. You barely make headway only to be eaten in the end. The only good thing I see is that like Bill Belicheck there's a chance for him to turn it around. Belicheck was awful too in cleveland.

This team is too soft. If it's not DWill running out of bounds. It's WR's droping passes or a severe lack of tackling.

But hey I don't know [inappropriate/removed]. I'm just some stupid poster who isn't worth the time of day. I've never been right on here before. Ever. So please excuse this boring post.

Carry on...


You're right though. That's exactly what we are seeing with Rivera. He knows what to say during interviews, but fails to back up anything in the game.

He does have a chance to turn it around, but I'm not sure if it's a personality change for Rivera or a a change in coaching methodology.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 28828
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:


How was I burned?

There isn't any evidence that Rivera is doing a good job and you've proved it. If there was any, you'd have brought it up by now.

Does anyone here know what the disposition effect is? I doubt it, but Jpep is a prime example in action for anyone interested in behavioral biases.


I'm not invested in Rivera in any way whatsoever. I am not looking for a way to break even with Rivera by holding onto him. Again, I am not under the impression he will succeed or fail. Care to explain how I am a prime example of the disposition effect, I am all ears. I love learning new things.

I mean, is it a behavioral bias if the action in question has long shown itself to actually be a detriment to a team as opposed to a benefit? Should I have been calling for Rivera's head after the first 4 games of last season? Is it ever logical to "wait and see" or is it always a behavioral bias?

Quote:
But please, keep bringing these soft, faith-based arguments
.

Where, in anything I said, do you see a "faith based argument?"

This term. I do not think it means what you think it means.
_________________

CK on the sig


Last edited by J Pep 4 Step on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 28828
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir_Purrr wrote:
Outside of his spirited interviews with the media Coach Ron Rivera hasn't shown any aptitude to suggest he will be a quality head coach in this league. Thus far. Penalties last year and so far this year is one of the worst in the league. Turn Over's, Time Management, questionable 3rd and 4th down decisions and a sideline attitude that looks like he's lost. There was one point where he was helping a player with a helmet during a critical 3rd down play for goodness sakes. You can try to defend him but it's like a salmon swiming up stream with a hungry bear waiting. You barely make headway only to be eaten in the end. The only good thing I see is that like Bill Belicheck there's a chance for him to turn it around. Belicheck was awful too in cleveland.

This team is too soft. If it's not DWill running out of bounds. It's WR's droping passes or a severe lack of tackling.

But hey I don't know [inappropriate/removed]. I'm just some stupid poster who isn't worth the time of day. I've never been right on here before. Ever. So please excuse this boring post.

Carry on...


Can I see what stats you have on that?
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 28828
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
cpanthers178990 wrote:
Moody wrote:


But please, keep bringing these soft, faith-based arguments.


Isn't the idea that if we bring someone else in for Rivera he will automatically be better a faith based argument?

There is no guarantee they will be better.


While I agree the front office shouldn't give up on Rivera yet or anything like that. Rapid coaching change is bad for a team. However, you can't look at it like that. There is never any guarantees in the NFL but you have to take chances. Rivera has been plagued with time management issues, team seemingly collapsing every second half (which screams poor halftime adjustments, same issue Fox had), and this year in 3 games we have came out completely flat to begin. Our team also doesn't seem to be all that disciplined. So I think it is fair that people are skeptical of him.

Again, don't think he should be fired. The team hasn't gotten that bad yet and is still competitive week to week. But I hope to see growth out of him. Maybe my opinion has been skewed seeing all of these bad teams manage to improve quickly because of great hires at head coach.

And this isn't me just blaming the coach for everything wrong with the team. I agree we're just not that talented, at least defensively (I have no idea what is up with us offensively outside of the fact Chud calls verts every pass play, never goes under center, Newton inconsistent, O-Line just bad, etc). I actually think Sean McDermott is a good defensive coordinator - our players are in position, they just can't tackle or backpedal way too early. My issues with Rivera go with the things he can control.


Agreed. Rivera hasnt impressed this season. Cam is up and down. Chud looks like a genius one week and a moron the next. The run game seems almost schizophrenic. And our defense is buttery soft.

There isnt much to be happy about so far this season. I just try to watch Keuchley and Silatolu.
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group