Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are the Cardinals the biggest obstacle for the 49ers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are the Cardinals for real
Cardinals are for real
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Cardinals are pretenders
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
Jurry is still out
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 27

Ataal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Ataal wrote:
Listening to the radio here in Arizona, they've been talking about the game all day. Lots of people calling in calling for the heads of a lot of people, Kolb, coaching staff, etc... But, seriously, they're an offensive line away from being a serious playoff contender.

Now, you could argue that Ken and company have been ignoring the elephant in the room, hoping for better play. Kurt Warner made that line look good. Since Warner left, every quarterback has looked mediocre to extremely bad. The problem is, and the guys on the radio have been pretty adamant about is the fact that it's extremely difficult to fix an O-line in the middle of a season. I believe their words were, and I'm paraphrasing:

"You can grab a guy off the street to play RB. They might not be great, but they'll allow you the luxury of play action, at the very least. But, what you can't get off the street is a left or right tackle. It just doesn't happen. You're going to have to give up draft picks in a trade. Draft picks that could help you obtain some guys in the offseason."

I have to agree with this. Arizona is in between a rock and a hard place. Do you wait it out and pick up some good talent in the offseason? And, in doing so, let down a ton of fans after a 4-0 start, that hasn't happened since 1974? Or....do you give up draft picks now, and hope the trade you get is good enough to get you to the playoffs? And, in doing so, lower your chances at getting better talent in the draft?

Tough decisions for Arizona. Very tough.
Good. I hope it stays tough. They neglected that team for years on the oline. Did they really need a WR in the first round? My answer is no, he hasn't done much yet either. They should have taken a lineman.

I agree, they definitely neglected that line for quite a while. I can't be too harsh on them about their picks, though. Typically, unless you're working with the worst QB roster in the league, you draft the best available, not what you "need." That being said, there's certainly no shame in taking some decent guys in the 5th and 6th round that you would like to mold to your offense.

However, the fans are going to be demanding that the line gets fixed. I'm sure the coaching staff was hoping that their defense would win their games, but as we saw last night, the way to beat Arizona is to not make mistakes. The Rams, outside of the pick in the endzone(totally looked like his second foot was on the line to me) played a dang good game, even though the completion percentage was abysmal. There were a lot of drops and throwaways.

Their offense can be contained. Not just because of their O-line, but because of mistakes by the QB and play calling.

4th and goal, GIVE IT TO FITZ!

But he's 4 yards away from the end zone and covered very well.

Who cares? Throw it to him!

That should have been in the end zone. There are other players on that team that can catch a ball and Kolb didn't even have any imminent threats coming at him. He had time to find someone. 3rd and goal, you can try that. 4th and goal, it has to be thrown in the end zone. Period.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Ataal wrote:
Listening to the radio here in Arizona, they've been talking about the game all day. Lots of people calling in calling for the heads of a lot of people, Kolb, coaching staff, etc... But, seriously, they're an offensive line away from being a serious playoff contender.

Now, you could argue that Ken and company have been ignoring the elephant in the room, hoping for better play. Kurt Warner made that line look good. Since Warner left, every quarterback has looked mediocre to extremely bad. The problem is, and the guys on the radio have been pretty adamant about is the fact that it's extremely difficult to fix an O-line in the middle of a season. I believe their words were, and I'm paraphrasing:

"You can grab a guy off the street to play RB. They might not be great, but they'll allow you the luxury of play action, at the very least. But, what you can't get off the street is a left or right tackle. It just doesn't happen. You're going to have to give up draft picks in a trade. Draft picks that could help you obtain some guys in the offseason."

I have to agree with this. Arizona is in between a rock and a hard place. Do you wait it out and pick up some good talent in the offseason? And, in doing so, let down a ton of fans after a 4-0 start, that hasn't happened since 1974? Or....do you give up draft picks now, and hope the trade you get is good enough to get you to the playoffs? And, in doing so, lower your chances at getting better talent in the draft?

Tough decisions for Arizona. Very tough.
Good. I hope it stays tough. They neglected that team for years on the oline. Did they really need a WR in the first round? My answer is no, he hasn't done much yet either. They should have taken a lineman.

I agree, they definitely neglected that line for quite a while. I can't be too harsh on them about their picks, though. Typically, unless you're working with the worst QB roster in the league, you draft the best available, not what you "need." That being said, there's certainly no shame in taking some decent guys in the 5th and 6th round that you would like to mold to your offense.

However, the fans are going to be demanding that the line gets fixed. I'm sure the coaching staff was hoping that their defense would win their games, but as we saw last night, the way to beat Arizona is to not make mistakes. The Rams, outside of the pick in the endzone(totally looked like his second foot was on the line to me) played a dang good game, even though the completion percentage was abysmal. There were a lot of drops and throwaways.

Their offense can be contained. Not just because of their O-line, but because of mistakes by the QB and play calling.

4th and goal, GIVE IT TO FITZ!

But he's 4 yards away from the end zone and covered very well.

Who cares? Throw it to him!

That should have been in the end zone. There are other players on that team that can catch a ball and Kolb didn't even have any imminent threats coming at him. He had time to find someone. 3rd and goal, you can try that. 4th and goal, it has to be thrown in the end zone. Period.

That was horrible play calling. Kolb and fitz did what they were told to do, however to have fitz run a square in at the 5 against jenkins who is 5'10 was dumb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: