Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Non-QB options for 2013 #1 overall pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGoldenChild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SappDaddyDance wrote:
Depending on the team:

Jones from UGA is an absolute monster on the defensive side and has the potential to be Demarcus Ware type player on a 3-4 team i.e. Colts if they pick first again, possibly the chiefs (although they have a glaring need for QB).

I could see a team looking at Manti Te'o first overall as he is a complete middle linebacker and could be one of the safer number one overall picks out there.

Or the third choice as everyone had which is Mingro from LSU (I don't know much about him so I won't make any opinions)

Not a chance in hell.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
Is there an OT good enough to go #1 overall? That is usually the next position to go #1 if no QB is worth it.

I am not watching many prospect closely this year except DEs, however, Luke Joeckel has caught my eye. He has been a stone wall when I have watched Alex Okafor, Jackson Jeffcoat, Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo. Those are 4 of the highest rated pass rushers in the draft and he has shut them down with ease.

I would pay close attention later this season when he plays Lemonier then Mingo and Montgomery again. Also see how he handles Alabama's from 7. If he steps up to shut those guys down and has big games then has a good combine his stock could soar.

All that being said I don't know anything about him I don't know what his physical abilities are as far as what will impress the scouts or allow him to put up numbers at the combine. I do know from what I have seen he can flat out play and he does it against elite competition.

Watched A&M Saturday. Joeckel's good but I honestly think Matthews is the better overall player. Jake Matthews is gonna be a good one.

Taylor Lewan will go somewhere high, top 10 I'm sure.

I really hope the Rams come away with Matthews. He might not be a NFL LT but he's going to be a darn great OG or RT in the NFL.

As for the question, I can't see a QB not going #1 with the wage scale unless the QB class is embarrassingly bad. Someone will trade up if the team at #1 doesn't need a QB.

Jarvis Jones is probably the person with the closest thing to a shot.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
Is there an OT good enough to go #1 overall? That is usually the next position to go #1 if no QB is worth it.

I am not watching many prospect closely this year except DEs, however, Luke Joeckel has caught my eye. He has been a stone wall when I have watched Alex Okafor, Jackson Jeffcoat, Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo. Those are 4 of the highest rated pass rushers in the draft and he has shut them down with ease.

I would pay close attention later this season when he plays Lemonier then Mingo and Montgomery again. Also see how he handles Alabama's from 7. If he steps up to shut those guys down and has big games then has a good combine his stock could soar.

All that being said I don't know anything about him I don't know what his physical abilities are as far as what will impress the scouts or allow him to put up numbers at the combine. I do know from what I have seen he can flat out play and he does it against elite competition.

Watched A&M Saturday. Joeckel's good but I honestly think Matthews is the better overall player. Jake Matthews is gonna be a good one.

Taylor Lewan will go somewhere high, top 10 I'm sure.

I really hope the Rams come away with Matthews. He might not be a NFL LT but he's going to be a darn great OG or RT in the NFL.

As for the question, I can't see a QB not going #1 with the wage scale unless the QB class is embarrassingly bad. Someone will trade up if the team at #1 doesn't need a QB.

Jarvis Jones is probably the person with the closest thing to a shot.

Agree 100% with all 3 of these points, though I do think Matthews could be a LT in this league in a number of offensive schemes. Arizona's being 1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:
I expect Justin Hunter to rip the combine up, could be him[the knee injury could hurt him though].

Depends how it checks out, but I agree.

I think Star Lotulelei, Jarvis Jones, Samuel Montgomery are all viable options over the likes of Geno Smith.

#JDI
Nobody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones is the bet player in the draft right now, but a QB will go first this day and age.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-QB options for 2013 #1 overall pick Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
If a team like Cleveland or Jacksonville end up with the #1 pick do you think either could give up on the incumbent and start the cycle over again and select either Barkley or Smith?

I can't really speak much to the Browns situation, but my impression of the Jaguars situation, is that if our GM+HC combo are still in place, it's hard to see us going QB high in the first round.

However, if the season is bad enough that we're picking #1 overall, i'd say there's a chance we see Khan reshuffle the front office and bring in a new GM and probably HC, etc. In that situation, it's a lot more plausible that the Jaguars would opt to go QB with that pick and just start fresh, from square 1.

So it's a bit of a wildcard. There are a few non-QB players mentioned thus far who are potentially 1st overall worthy picks. And honestly, i'm not enamoured with this QB class. An awful lot of questionmarks. Geno Smith having taken over the lead as the likely top pick, there are still some questionmarks there despite that enormous game he just put up. Barkley/Wilson/Bray/Thomas/etc. are all a very long ways from #1 pick stature for me.
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically speaking the first overall pick is going to be a quarterback, offensive tackle, or defensive lineman/elite pass rushing 3-4 OLB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be shocked if it was Star Lotuleilei but I doubt someone actually pulls the trigger on a DT. He's an animal though. Mingo is an interesting choice but his lack of production (thus far) probably eliminates him.

Thanks, Tzimisce
willy_law

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think any of the WR's get taken #1 overall. None of them will seperate themselves that far from the other WR's to be taken #1.

Jarvis Jones seems to be an option
Montgomery
KeeKee Mingo
I think Star Loutlelei falls drastically at the combine. I see Albert Haynesworth and I mean Washington Haynesworth.... always had the potential but I don't see the motor
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
If Barkevious Mingo shows up at the combine in the 255lbs range and shows the athleticism that is expected of him he has a shot of going #1 but it would have to be a team who are desperate for pass rush help otherwise we would most likely see a trade down.

New Orleans Saints.
Nobody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:
I expect Justin Hunter to rip the combine up, could be him[the knee injury could hurt him though].

Depends how it checks out, but I agree.

I think Star Lotulelei, Jarvis Jones, Samuel Montgomery are all viable options over the likes of Geno Smith.
He could have a Megatron-type combine. A 4.3-something 40 and 6'4 could propel him. Anybody have any idea where he should run in the 40?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year, I don't even know. Would have said Robert Woods before the season but he has been under performing for his standards (plus a wr #1 is doubtful in general). Guys that come to mind are Mingo, Star, Jarvis, and Joeckel. However, I don't see any non-QB going 1st for 2013.

Although for 2014 I firmly believe Jadeveon Clowney will the #1 pick, what an absolute freak. In the few games I've seen him he's looked absolutely dominating, like scary good. Still has loads of potential IMO and a 12+ sack sophmore year is a very real possibility for him at this point, which is pretty impressive considering it's the SEC.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
nixa37

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is no one worried about what the doctors will say with Jarvis Jones and the neck injury that ended his career at USC? Unless you're 100% sure it will not be an issue, I can't imagine spending a #1 overall pick on a guy that may be significantly more likely to face a career ending injury than any of the other potential picks. I've wondered if knowing the neck might be an issue come the combine/draft was part of why he decided to return to UGA for another season.
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones has best chance... I see a Von Miller type player, and he could play 4-3 scheme as well.

I think Mingo and Montgomery have slipped early but Star Lotulelei has a shot as wel
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
So is no one worried about what the doctors will say with Jarvis Jones and the neck injury that ended his career at USC? Unless you're 100% sure it will not be an issue, I can't imagine spending a #1 overall pick on a guy that may be significantly more likely to face a career ending injury than any of the other potential picks. I've wondered if knowing the neck might be an issue come the combine/draft was part of why he decided to return to UGA for another season.

The other thing (and it isn't major) is, I was wondering if Jones aside from the neck injury (which will be checked out over and over no doubt) is his frame. He doesn't seem to be much more than 235 lbs. and I am wondering how much more functional bulk he can add before it affects his quickness and agility. I am wondering if he is closer to 6'-1". Guys like Barkevious Mingo and Dion Jordan (especially Jordan) appear to have frames that would allow them to add substantial functional bulk.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: