Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Activate Mike Neal, Cut Phillip Merling
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Packers Activate Mike Neal, Cut Phillip Merling Reply with quote

Now that Neal has served his 4 game suspension who is gone?

Personally, I do not see a clear cut player, plus Worthy and Daniels have played solid and have not created a glaring hole where we desperately need Neal. To me a guys like B. Jones, Francois and Lattimore come to mind since we have good depth at inside backer, but I believe all three are on multiple special teams and have value to stay. Plus Jones and Lattimore provide outside backer depth too. Next, Manning has been an inactive in some games, but has played teams too, plus he was a 5th round pick and Thompson may not want to cut a pick. Depending on the injuries to both Jennings we could IR them, either the whole year or designate them to come back (neither seemed too serious and I don't think this will happen). Finally, Boykin and Richardson come to mind since they are both inactives most/all games, but we may not be able to get them to the PS and may not want to loose them. I am sure there are other guys, maybe a surprise cut/IR in Starks seeing Benson has proved to be the main guy and Green and Saine solid backups, but I do not see it as easy of a decision as it was when Walden came back.

This might be a meaningless point and not worth too much discussion, but I guess the real question is who does Neal deserve to be on the roster over or does he deserve to be on the roster?
Hawkfan191

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd imagine it'd probably either be Saine, Boykin, or Manning cut
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Merling. I don't think there's room for 7 DL.

They have a roster exemption for a couple weeks yet, right?
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's just with the PUP. I think the roster exemption expires when the suspension does.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's just with the PUP. I think the roster exemption expires when the suspension does.

I actually think they have a couple of weeks to activate him.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only cut Saine or MD Jennings for Neal. I would rather keep all of Lattimore, Jones and Manning over him. And I like the potential of Richardson and Boykin over the proven mediocrity of Neal.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
vang_evo9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cut Merling or IR Starks for Neal.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the severity of Greg Jenning's groin reaggravation, he could be a candidate for the "IR, to return" designation.

It would probably cost him millions and millions of dollars in free agency though.
justo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merling. He was healthy today and was inactive for the first time. I would say I'm 99% sure it's doing to be him. Look at where Daniels and Worthy got PT today. NT. Dudes were rotating the same was he was the first couple of games. I think Merling is out.

OT: Worthy is going to rack up so many offsides/encroachment penalties over the years with us Laughing defensive Finley
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a non D-linemen player. Having 7 DLs could be advantageous.
justo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:

Figure the roster is 53 people right? Take three away for special teams. That makes 50. Now you have 22 starters on O and D. One move down in the DC would be 44 players with 50 spots. That means there is 6 players extra for all positions. There is three DL out on the field, two deep would be 6. You figure one of the 6 extras would be a DL, but certainly you don't need 2 more. Why you take in all those players on the DL when they don't even play special teams? I think it's Merling.
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking Merling as well (surprised he made the team to begin with)
HokieHigh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:

Figure the roster is 53 people right? Take three away for special teams. That makes 50. Now you have 22 starters on O and D. One move down in the DC would be 44 players with 50 spots. That means there is 6 players extra for all positions. There is three DL out on the field, two deep would be 6. You figure one of the 6 extras would be a DL, but certainly you don't need 2 more. Why you take in all those players on the DL when they don't even play special teams? I think it's Merling.

Nice breakdown.
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Merling. He was healthy today and was inactive for the first time. I would say I'm 99% sure it's doing to be him. Look at where Daniels and Worthy got PT today. NT. Dudes were rotating the same was he was the first couple of games. I think Merling is out.

OT: Worthy is going to rack up so many offsides/encroachment penalties over the years with us Laughing defensive Finley
I think they keep Merling, He was inactive because we faced a passing team. So i think they'll continue to flip between Merling against running teams and Daniels against passing teams. MD will be IR'ed MARK IT DOWN!!!!
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:

Agreed. Easy way to think about it. But you have to remember we're thin on the OL backups. We only have 2 backed up out of the 5. That gives us 9 spots to work with.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: