Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Anyone have Fios from Verizon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thrILL!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Anyone have Fios from Verizon? Reply with quote

First, let me say that we just moved and had to give up DirecTV due to obstruction to satellite access. The DirecTV guy who came to install it was awesome. Great service and explained things perfectly. He had a handheld device he showed me that triangulates signals. Told me he knew walking up and seeing all the trees it would be a problem. Been with them for 7 years and its going to suck.

I've had U-Verse before too which is solid but not offered in our area. So it's Fios or cable (Charter I believe. I'd throw my TV off the roof before I ever got TWC again but they're not the default anyway thankfully). We already have Verizon for Internet and wouldn't mind an upgrade there too.

Having been spoiled by DirecTV, I'm wary of anything less. Does anyone have some insight on Fios? Either way, it gives us a chance to slim down our channel package as I can find most shows, etc online (plus we have AppleTV). I mostly want it for sports, local channels etc but in HD of course.

Thanks.

You Already Know ... This Is What I Do
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have Fios from Verizon? Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
First, let me say that we just moved and had to give up DirecTV due to obstruction to satellite access. The DirecTV guy who came to install it was awesome. Great service and explained things perfectly. He had a handheld device he showed me that triangulates signals. Told me he knew walking up and seeing all the trees it would be a problem. Been with them for 7 years and its going to suck.

I've had U-Verse before too which is solid but not offered in our area. So it's Fios or cable (Charter I believe. I'd throw my TV off the roof before I ever got TWC again but they're not the default anyway thankfully). We already have Verizon for Internet and wouldn't mind an upgrade there too.

Having been spoiled by DirecTV, I'm wary of anything less. Does anyone have some insight on Fios? Either way, it gives us a chance to slim down our channel package as I can find most shows, etc online (plus we have AppleTV). I mostly want it for sports, local channels etc but in HD of course.

Thanks.

If you're just gonna watch local channels (and sports on those local channels) just get some bunny ears, they pick up HD channels just fine (unless you live in the boondocks)

Mack on the sig
jg6041

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny. I like your Direct Tv Tech. He does his job well and I really respect that. If you could stick with him do so because he is a man who will do his all for you.
Verizon FIOS is by far the best picture, the top speed, the best investment.
That being said they over shot themselves. A hybrid coax to the house off the fiber is the only thing that makes economic sense.
To run fiber into an individual home is too expensive. Fios is not adding any new territories as they have run out of investment capital to do so.
If available get it. Personally I would rather give my money to the D-TV Guy but if not an option the speed of light via fiber cannot be beat.
Literally I am a cable guy (make a living off it) and cannot wait until we buy them out. Verizon cannot afford it, but there is no better quality out there.
Period. The speed of light is the speed of light.
I do not know much but I do know this.
Fios means nothing, it is a name for a glass tube that serves as a carrier for information.
Sound complicated? It is not. Binary code needs a "carrier" for years it was coaxial cable. Meaning a piece of insulated cable with a wire in the middle.
Fios is a fancy word for a piece of glass that is insulated. Fastest thing is the speed of light. Use light as the "carrier" you have endless, seriously endless capacity.
To run a piece of glass tubing to each and every person is impossible.
It costs too much. Google fiber is about to dominate everything.
Why? They can use the existing fiber from Verizon as well as add their own.
Google has no interest in being in Cable. The story is some Cable or Verizon big shot challenged a mid-level Google tech to "Do what we do"
If they wanted to Google will be the only choice for all phases of internet/ cable.
It will never happen as the ramifications are in the billions. Just watch for fun how Google dominates where ever they wish. Kansas is a good example.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
thrILL!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Thanks for the feedback. I wish we could stay with DirecTV as that was always the plan. This cool pocket area we found east of Pasadena is surrounded by huge trees and feels more like it's near Lake Tahoe than anywhere else. I thought we might be able to keep our satellite service bcuz from our balcony there's a somewhat clear shot to the south. The tech guy explained to me that it receives 3 signals and needs to be completely unhindered for the HD to work. I actually meant that I've been with them for 7 years; not that the tech guy has been.

I had heard that Fios has poor HD quality and that it's actually 720p bcuz of compression into copper wires or something. But I have no idea if that's even somewhat true or just nonsense. Assuming that is false, and judging from your ringing endorsement, I'm gonna investigate further what packages they have. Never been a fan of standard cable since first having other options so we're leaning the way of Fios at the moment. For the limited options we have, it might just be the best fit. Thanks again for the feedback.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All HDTV broadcasts are in 720p. It's how the channels are delivered to the satellite/cable companies.

FIOS is rated as the best ISP in the country.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
All HDTV broadcasts are in 720p. It's how the channels are delivered to the satellite/cable companies.
Pretty sure some use 1080i

I was always under the impression that Fios was superior to satellite and cable, it just wasn't as widely available. I definitely read somewhere, granted this was at least a year ago, that 45% of Fios customers reported they were "very satisfied" with their provider compared to just 25% from satellite customers and 15% from cable customers. I'd say Fios has the best internet, while DirecTv has the best picture quality though. Unfortunately I'm stuck with cable...
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

720p is higher resolution than 1080i.

I've worked in broadcast centers for the big ones (DTV, Comcast, Dish), and delivered circuits from different channels to them. I learned. A 720p HD channel is 36MB, and a SD channel is 6MB. They deliver them through telecom companies together on a T3 (~45MB). 1080p takes a lot more data, which is why they haven't started broadcasting channels that high yet.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
jg6041

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

I was always under the impression that Fios was superior to satellite and cable, it just wasn't as widely available. I definitely read somewhere, granted this was at least a year ago, that 45% of Fios customers reported they were "very satisfied" with their provider compared to just 25% from satellite customers and 15% from cable customers. I'd say Fios has the best internet, while DirecTv has the best picture quality though. Unfortunately I'm stuck with cable...

Again this is what I do. Fios really means nothing it is just a word they made up.
You have two choices. Fios, not available in all areas and if it is not it will not ever be. And Hybrid. Fiber to the pole and coaxial to everything else. Unless you have Comcast which had tons of money and invested in "fiber".

Again it is a made up word to say glass wrapped in insulation. One more time nothing is faster than the speed of light. Nothing!!!
It is transmitted into your TV as light!! The picture cannot be beaten. Period.
It is, and will not ever, be available everywhere. If they are offering Fios, again, made up word, take it!
Only Comcast and now Google can match it. It is an 6 to 8 hour installation for a reason.
They are running a glass tube to your TV. Nothing can compete with it. It is light...Light.. as the carrier... nothing is faster than the speed of light.
Again Cable guy over 20 years!!

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

I've worked in broadcast centers for the big ones (DTV, Comcast, Dish), and delivered circuits from different channels to them. I learned. A 720p HD channel is 36MB, and a SD channel is 6MB. They deliver them through telecom companies together on a T3 (~45MB). 1080p takes a lot more data, which is why they haven't started broadcasting channels that high yet.

My cable box always says "1080i," should I change it to 720p? Can I even change it to 720p?
thrILL!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lookin' out, jg6041!

jg6041

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:

Appreciate the kudos but honestly I just get annoyed.
The DTV guy deserves the sale. He cannot compete, yet goes out of his way to try to show the value of an inferior product. Personally he gets my money.

Verizon tried to go into only exclusive(High income areas) they were told that they could not. They had to offer their services to all.
They wired all the high income areas and then stated they were out of money.
Kinda cheesy yes, but superior everything yes, however if it is not available now, it will never be.
Again it is bending a piece of glass .It is simply bending light. There is nothing faster than the speed of light.
Comcast , largest cable company, with your money, some annoyed Google guy, and Verizon, are the only ones who did it. Cannot go faster or do more than the speed of light. Period.
Quality of picture is silly. Sat. is a joke. If available, even though you are feeding Satan, take Verizon, if not available take Comcast or Google.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

My cable box always says "1080i," should I change it to 720p? Can I even change it to 720p?

Eh, at times idk which is better. I guess it depends on the content you're watching. For sports I think 720p looks better, for other things that don't have fast motion, 1080i looks crisper to me. Technically 720p is displaying more information at any moment but 1080i can give you the appearance of displaying more, even tho it's not. I think b/c in 1080i each field is flicking so fast you don't notice the missing info. I believe most stations cast in 1080i, I thought just ESPN/ABC and maybe Fox or someone else did 720p. I'd double check that. If you can avoid converting the signal, that's what I would do. So if the station you want to watch casts in 720p, leave it at that. If it casts at 1080i leave it at 1080i.

Mack on the sig
jg6041

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

Eh, at times idk which is better. I guess it depends on the content you're watching. For sports I think 720p looks better, for other things that don't have fast motion, 1080i looks crisper to me. Technically 720p is displaying more information at any moment but 1080i can give you the appearance of displaying more, even tho it's not. I think b/c in 1080i each field is flicking so fast you don't notice the missing info. I believe most stations cast in 1080i, I thought just ESPN/ABC and maybe Fox or someone else did 720p. I'd double check that. If you can avoid converting the signal, that's what I would do. So if the station you want to watch casts in 720p, leave it at that. If it casts at 1080i leave it at 1080i.

Ughh!! Again made up words!! You called it !!! If the broadcast is 720 (again just a made up number) watch in 720. 1080 Again made up watch in 1080.
As of 2010 I think it was the FCC made up a rule so basically you needed a box to converter any signal to a watchable signal,. Some TVS state, which is correct they can display 1080. It is becoming the standard, however, it is not required per the FCC. If not broadcast in 1080 it will not matter unless you provider "converts" it to 1080. Always check the broadcast signal anything else is BS. Stay in budget for a TV. Nothing new for a few years at least.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
thrILL!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
thrILL! wrote:

Appreciate the kudos but honestly I just get annoyed.
The DTV guy deserves the sale. He cannot compete, yet goes out of his way to try to show the value of an inferior product. Personally he gets my money.

LIS tho staying with DirecTV is an impossibility. The thought of leaving them never crossed my mind until I was told we would be unable to remain with them. I love DirecTV's navigation style, DVR, etc. In those regards they destroy everyone else. Just looking fwd to finding the advantages of Fios. All I can do.

RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo seem to know your stuff jg, so what would you say the pros and cons of Verizon Fios and DirecTv are and which would you say is better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: