You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Apple II Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Quote:
For my windows index score, I have the highest score for all my hardware of 7.9....but my primary disk speed is only at 5.9.

Windows caps the HDD score at 5.9 regardless of any HDD (except SSD) for some reason. I have a 10,000 RPM drive that scores at 5.9 same as my old laptop drive, and one is noticeably faster.

Hmm...I did not know that.

Anyway....as I stated...just bought an SSD. Wont get it until Tuesday, but I cant wait to see how it goes!

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way FourThree, if you were interested in iWork still...

iPwn wrote:
They don't offer a trial on the latest versions anymore, but you should be able to at least check out the old trial version

http://iwork.en.softonic.com/mac/download

Buy it if you like it.

It's missing some stuff like cloud support and I think full screen mode, and a few other newer features but that should give you an idea of whether you want to go that direction over OpenOffice.

Live like you're down 3-1
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

iPwn wrote:
They don't offer a trial on the latest versions anymore, but you should be able to at least check out the old trial version

Buy it if you like it.

It's missing some stuff like cloud support and I think full screen mode, and a few other newer features but that should give you an idea of whether you want to go that direction over OpenOffice.

Thanks man...Ill have to check it out.

I actually think OpenOffice might be good enough for my laptop. If there is an MS Office feature I need that OpenOffice doesnt have, I can just use my desktop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Yeah...Im a techie guy too. Not an engineer...more on the Networking and IT side of it, but I know enough.

And I just ordered my SSD off Amazon. 256GB SSD. I just have to take inventory of everything I need to reinstall back on to my desktop.

I took DataComm last fall. Hated it so much haha. Glad I don't really have to do a lot of it. I'm getting stoked about building a desktop. I'll probably ask you how you like that SSD when I'm getting parts. Hope it goes well.

iPwn wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Anyone here overclock CPU's with liquid nitrogen? A friend of mine got a 2.1 GHz processor to 8.0. Shocked
On a Mac?

I don't think so. I just got on an engineering roll sorry haha.
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Quote:
For my windows index score, I have the highest score for all my hardware of 7.9....but my primary disk speed is only at 5.9.

Windows caps the HDD score at 5.9 regardless of any HDD (except SSD) for some reason. I have a 10,000 RPM drive that scores at 5.9 same as my old laptop drive, and one is noticeably faster.

Anyway....as I stated...just bought an SSD. Wont get it until Tuesday, but I cant wait to see how it goes!

Hope you did your research. The fail rate on those suckers with some models is pretty bad.

Also since you're a techie, if you're interested in seeing some serious boot and app speed, check out how SSDs performs with Ubuntu. I have a total middle of the road laptop I got years ago that runs an entry level SSD drive. My Ubuntu partition boots in under 10 secs and shuts down in under 3. You can probably find some vids online. Ubuntu's EXT4 file system >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Windows NTFS.

D#######
Mossburg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone here overclock CPU's with liquid nitrogen? A friend of mine got a 2.1 GHz processor to 8.0.

That's insane. What was the stock voltage and how far did he bump it? I'd bet it's highly unstable. Did he stress test it?

D#######
Mossburg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
iPwn wrote:

iPwn wrote:

Buy it if you like it.

Thanks man...Ill have to check it out.

I actually think OpenOffice might be good enough for my laptop. If there is an MS Office feature I need that OpenOffice doesnt have, I can just use my desktop.

Check out LibreOffice. I like it better than OpenOffice.

D#######
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Check out LibreOffice. I like it better than OpenOffice.
NeoOffice and KOffice might be worth a look too.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Quote:

Hope you did your research. The fail rate on those suckers with some models is pretty bad.

Also since you're a techie, if you're interested in seeing some serious boot and app speed, check out how SSDs performs with Ubuntu. I have a total middle of the road laptop I got years ago that runs an entry level SSD drive. My Ubuntu partition boots in under 10 secs and shuts down in under 3. You can probably find some vids online. Ubuntu's EXT4 file system >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Windows NTFS.

I did....the one I checked out had very good reviews on several websites from both customers and "expert" reviewers....but it seems like EVERY SSD I checked out had a few people claiming theirs died.

Anyway....this one has a 3 year warranty. So if it dies, Im good (Especially since all of my important data is already backed up.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Quote:

Getting a SSD was a great purchase. Blazing fast. Since you have a mac now, just setup a time machine backup and you should be good to go...
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that I would recommend since you're just transitioning from Windows to Mac is purchasing VMWare Fusion. It cost me $50.

One of the neat features is that, I hooked up my mac to my old windows laptop via ethernet cable. Then ran the VMWare migration utility on my windows laptop and it created a VMWare image on my Mac with all my applications and files on it.

Worked out great because I didn't feel like purchasing the mac version of my neat receipts software...
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Quote:

Getting a SSD was a great purchase. Blazing fast. Since you have a mac now, just setup a time machine backup and you should be good to go...

Belay my last....I havent bought one yet. After Mossburg said that I did a little more research and found that alot of people DID have issues with the one I bought (Crucial 256GB Sata 6)

Im still going to get one, but Ill wait until Monday. Do some hard research over the weekend. Not really a huge rush anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Another thing that I would recommend since you're just transitioning from Windows to Mac is purchasing VMWare Fusion. It cost me $50.

One of the neat features is that, I hooked up my mac to my old windows laptop via ethernet cable. Then ran the VMWare migration utility on my windows laptop and it created a VMWare image on my Mac with all my applications and files on it.

Worked out great because I didn't feel like purchasing the mac version of my neat receipts software...

Well, I wouldnt say Im transitioning. I still have a Windows desktop which Ill still use quite a bit. This is just like a sidekick. Cool

Thanks for the tips though. I will look into those to see if I need them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Oh...and its completely quiet. Seriously...no sound from the machine at all.
My Pro makes a ruckus. Sad

My 15" MBP is a church mouse...
and welcome to the club 43, if we could only get you to like a different NFL team... (:

I am also still a Windows user too... Mostly for work...
Can't give up my desktop ever....
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New bug found. Pretty interesting....

Typing

into basically any Mac app causes it to crash. I couldn't even type it into this post without it crashing.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 43 of 100

Jump to: