Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive line: "trickle down" effect
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Defensive line: "trickle down" effect Reply with quote

Although I made up the "trickle down" nomenclature, here is an interesting thing to consider in any debate regarding the importance of a strong pass rush and how it affects the defense as a whole.

To those of you concerned about the sack numbers, hopefully this offers an explanation.

www.bloggingthebeast.com/2012/10/01/the-eagles-defensive-line-is-dominating-by-doing-nothing-more-than-showing-up/

Quote:
The Giants only kept 5 players in to block just 6 times in 49 dropbacks.

LOLKevinKolb wrote:

*Note that the source is a blog-post, but the quotes by Babin and Cole are credible.
**Phone won't let me post pictures, can someone repost it?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Last edited by Phire on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
LOLKevinKolb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
And use the boners for soup to survive through the winter

Bird Watch: Keelan Johnson - one magnificent tackle
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is most likely the largest contributor to the opposing QB's dismal ratings against the Philly defense, despite only having 7 sacks.

If our safeties were more patient, they should be getting more interceptions as DRC and Nnamdi will force quarterbacks to have to throw into tight windows to limited targets.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not particularly alarmed with our sack numbers to date. It might not show up in the stat sheet but it has helped our pass defense tremendously. Or at least that's what it seems to me.

I mean, opposing QBs are averaging 65.5 passer rating or something like that. Despite our sack numbers we are making QBs play bad against us. I guess that's why they say sacks is an overrated stat.

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
oland11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they kept 6 in mostly to keep 4-5 rushers in. Their line is that pathetic Laughing
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway Joe wrote:
I'm not particularly alarmed with our sack numbers to date. It might not show up in the stat sheet but it has helped our pass defense tremendously. Or at least that's what it seems to me.

I mean, opposing QBs are averaging 65.5 passer rating or something like that. Despite our sack numbers we are making QBs play bad against us. I guess that's why they say sacks is an overrated stat.

QFT. It seems as though we should be getting to the QB for more sacks, but our QB pressures have made a mark thus far in 2012. I re-watched the first half of SNF vs the Giants last night, and noticed that on 10+ occasions we did not sack Eli but did get enough pressure to force a horrible/uncatchable pass. Cox was standing out as a beast in the pressure department.
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post.

Just from watching with my eyes I've noticed that we've been hurrying and forcing a myriad of bad throws as a result of our d-line pressure anyways. This was particularly evident in the first half against the Giants and second half against the Ravens, although in the latter's case I have no idea why they abandoned their rushing attack. There aren't sack numbers to prove this relentless pressure, but the Giants responded in the second half by leaving Bennett in to block on almost every snap and this was successful by and large because of a few horrible breakdowns in coverage, as evident on their two scoring drives.

Right now really only Babin has good statistics to back up his play with 3 sacks, 6 QB hits, and 2 TFL. Juan has done an excellent job of disguising him and moving him around on blitz packages. Yet we all know that guys like Cox and Landri have been playing some really stout football. Graham has been disruptive when given snaps also. Jenkins has 3 TFL too.

On the flip side, I'd like to see some more oomph from Cole and Hunt.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

Last edited by BirdsFan06050 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sacks will come when teams decide to only block with 5 or when the Eagles dial up a blitz.

Nice to have a front 4 who commands many blockers though. Helping our secondary and linebackers a lot. Now if our safeties made the plays they're supposed to!

RainbowCarebear wrote:
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
The sacks will come when teams decide to only block with 5 or when the Eagles dial up a blitz.

Nice to have a front 4 who commands many blockers though. Helping our secondary and linebackers a lot. Now if our safeties made the plays they're supposed to!

Exactly. I feel like the safeties have taken some steps in the right direction this year, but clearly there are some things they need to desperately work on too.

Regardless, when you have a front 4 like ours and two bump and run CB's playing at a pro-bowl calibre level, then quarterbacks are going to have a hard time throwing the ball against you, and that's what we've been seeing thus far.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active Vinny Curry = Sack all the quaterbacks!

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
Phire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
Phire wrote:

Exactly. I feel like the safeties have taken some steps in the right direction this year, but clearly there are some things they need to desperately work on too.

Regardless, when you have a front 4 like ours and two bump and run CB's playing at a pro-bowl calibre level, then quarterbacks are going to have a hard time throwing the ball against you, and that's what we've been seeing thus far.

Absolutely agreed, well spoken.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Phire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is remarkable how our defense refuses to give up points although New York's Wilson had 217 yards of return yardage. The guy averaged 36 yards per return and yet our defense repeatedly turned them away.

Wasn't a perfect defensive performance, but still one many Eagles fans haven't seen in a long time.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pressure we're able to get, is a huge reason why we have the lowest QB rating when team face us.

But I would love if we got more sacks.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Phire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the current defensive gameplan, but I would like to see a few more blitzes called. Get the momentum flowing and mainly for some excitement

Cool

RainbowCarebear wrote:
baconrad3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
It is remarkable how our defense refuses to give up points although New York's Wilson had 217 yards of return yardage. The guy averaged 36 yards per return and yet our defense repeatedly turned them away.

Wasn't a perfect defensive performance, but still one many Eagles fans haven't seen in a long time.

I know, right? Seems like the defense gets put in tough positions every single game. Whether it's because of the offense turning it over or the special teams giving up huge returns.

Our defense has been incredible this year. I think it's a top 5 unit no doubt about it.

The defensive line hasn't been getting the sack numbers we expected, but it seems like its been getting to the quarterback just as much. Just the other teams QBs seem to be getting the ball out before our guys can get to him...but normally they force throws because of it and make poor decisions. The d-line has been just as good, if not better, than last year.

Cox has just been incredible. I wish there were a stat out there that showed how frequently he has been double teamed....Because I'd pretty much guess that number is very, very high.

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: