Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings, Cardinals, Bengals- Contender or Pretender?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighHopes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
waremd wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
Cardinals play the Vikings and the 49er's twice. That should help sort this out.

Vikings are in the North?

He worded that poorly, but the Vikes do play the Cards once this season. Week 7 I believe, in MN.

I will define a contender as a playoff team, after all, once you're in the playoffs anything is possible.

I think the Vikings schedule should allow them to win a lot of games over the next two months, but once December hits I expect them to hit a wall with their schedule and struggle. So the Vikings will appear to be a potential playoff team until December and then could lose a few and possibly lose out in a wild card berth.

I think the Bengals have a legit shot of being a playoff team, Andy Dalton is playing well and if there defense can get back up to speed, they should be fine. Ravens look stellar but the Steelers are probably a .500 team at best right now. I think the Bengals are probably one of the favorites to be a wild card team.

Arizona is difficult for me, I just dont see this success being sustained. Remember the Buffalo Bills last year? They started hot with good play from Fitzpatrick and quickly crumbled by midseason. I expect a similar regression for AZ, starting around week 6 or week 7 and I think the Vikes beat them in Minnesota. I also think the 49ers will be the division champs.

So yes for the Bengals, no for the Cardinals and maybe for the Vikings.

Hey how come you don't post your expert opinion that the Cardinals will have a top 5 draft pick every chance you get now?
You like to pimp up the Vikings like they are a good team all the time though.
While the Cardinals are beating the Patriots and the Eagles and teams like that and the Vikings are playing the Jacksonville, Colts and Lions of the league?

Someone is trying to bait an angry post Laughing

"How DARE you have a negative opinion about my team!"
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighHopes wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
waremd wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
Cardinals play the Vikings and the 49er's twice. That should help sort this out.

He worded that poorly, but the Vikes do play the Cards once this season. Week 7 I believe, in MN.

I will define a contender as a playoff team, after all, once you're in the playoffs anything is possible.

I think the Vikings schedule should allow them to win a lot of games over the next two months, but once December hits I expect them to hit a wall with their schedule and struggle. So the Vikings will appear to be a potential playoff team until December and then could lose a few and possibly lose out in a wild card berth.

I think the Bengals have a legit shot of being a playoff team, Andy Dalton is playing well and if there defense can get back up to speed, they should be fine. Ravens look stellar but the Steelers are probably a .500 team at best right now. I think the Bengals are probably one of the favorites to be a wild card team.

Arizona is difficult for me, I just dont see this success being sustained. Remember the Buffalo Bills last year? They started hot with good play from Fitzpatrick and quickly crumbled by midseason. I expect a similar regression for AZ, starting around week 6 or week 7 and I think the Vikes beat them in Minnesota. I also think the 49ers will be the division champs.

Hey how come you don't post your expert opinion that the Cardinals will have a top 5 draft pick every chance you get now?
While the Cardinals are beating the Patriots and the Eagles and teams like that and the Vikings are playing the Jacksonville, Colts and Lions of the league?

Negative posts are common here. No big deal. This person padded their post count talking the Cardinals down and the Vikings up. Homerism at it's finest.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bengals are contenders to make the playoffs.

They are NOT contenders to do much more than that.

Dating back to last year, they havent shown the ability to play at a top level. And when I say top level, I mean competing with the top teams. Beating up on bottom feeders doesnt matter if you cant beat the teams you need to to be taken seriously.

Ive stated several times I like the direction the Bengals are going, but at this point, they are no different than last year. The only TRULY good team they have faced this year is Baltimore and they were humiliated.

I could see the Bengals starting off 5-1 and getting tons of hype.

After they bye, they start facing real teams.....if the Bengals make the playoffs this year, Ill say they are true contenders. At this point, they are simple a DECENT team beating up on crappy teams and getting their butts kicked by the real contenders.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
HighHopes wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
waremd wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:

Negative posts are common here. No big deal. This person padded their post count talking the Cardinals down and the Vikings up. Homerism at it's finest.

He said MAYBE for the Vikings and his reasoning for the Cards isnt exactly off base. They barely beat Miami today and while thats not really a knock on them, I think the lack of a trustworthy QB will hold them back in the long run.

But I DO see the Cards as more of a contender than the Vikings....even if only slightly.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengals are pretenders in the sense that they're still hardly any threat to the league's elite. Until they can beat a Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston or New England, their record means squat.

They have a great shot at being 5-1 after the next two weeks, but at that point they would have played one legit team.

Their schedule after week 6:

Pitt
Denver
NYG

Chiefs
Raiders
Chargers
Cowboys
Eagles
Steelers
Ravens

I highlighted all the teams i believe will finish with an 8-8 record or higher. They have to beat 2 of those teams to finish 9-7 assuming they beat every team with a losing record. Lots of assumptions, but basically what i'm saying is that they have to keep winning.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply dont trust Kevin Kolb enough to show much faith in him down the stretch, given what we know of him the past three seasons. Further, how the heck does a great defense supposedly give up so many passing yards to Ryan Tannehill of all players. Look, I dont think AZ is a bad team, I actually thought they would be a bottom 5 team, so I am fine admitting that I was wrong. But I dont see them being a playoff team either.

Minnesota could crumble too, but they have a very favorable schedule for the next six weeks, while I havent really analyzed the Cardinals schedule, they have some tough games coming up like the Rams, Seahawks and Vikes on the road, and the Packers, Falcons. I think the Vikings making the playoffs is more likely simply because of the schedule. Both MN and AZ are similar types of teams, they arent going to really dominate anyone and most of their games will be close. Maybe I simply have more faith in Ponder than I do Kolb, though I can understand why a Cards fan would feel otherwise.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None are SB contenders IMO. Cards defense is nasty, but that offense isn't going to take it far. Vikings are a bit more well-rounded, but I don't see them getting more than 8-9 wins personally and a 1st round exit in the playoffs if they make it. And the Bengals, I don't trust their defense this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
None are SB contenders IMO. Cards defense is nasty, but that offense isn't going to take it far. Vikings are a bit more well-rounded, but I don't see them getting more than 8-9 wins personally and a 1st round exit in the playoffs if they make it. And the Bengals, I don't trust their defense this year.

I didnt see the game but why did Tannehill have so much success against AZ? Is this something they should be concerned about.
HighMotorGuy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I simply dont trust Kevin Kolb enough to show much faith in him down the stretch, given what we know of him the past three seasons. Further, how the heck does a great defense supposedly give up so many passing yards to Ryan Tannehill of all players. Look, I dont think AZ is a bad team, I actually thought they would be a bottom 5 team, so I am fine admitting that I was wrong. But I dont see them being a playoff team either.

Minnesota could crumble too, but they have a very favorable schedule for the next six weeks, while I havent really analyzed the Cardinals schedule, they have some tough games coming up like the Rams, Seahawks and Vikes on the road, and the Packers, Falcons. I think the Vikings making the playoffs is more likely simply because of the schedule. Both MN and AZ are similar types of teams, they arent going to really dominate anyone and most of their games will be close. Maybe I simply have more faith in Ponder than I do Kolb, though I can understand why a Cards fan would feel otherwise.

It was a trap game after 2 big wins against 2 of the best teams in the league and a upcoming prime-time game against a divisional rival. The Cards came out unprepared and rallied back to outscore the Dolphins 24-8 in the 2nd half for the win. That is a sign of a good team and shouldn't be used as a slight against them at all.

Defenses do have bad days ya know. Heck, the 49ers defense last year let John Skelton throw all over them, and gave up almost 500 total yards to Vick.

Last edited by HighMotorGuy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by #1CARDSFAN on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Ok well. Good luck to you and your team. Anything can happen and the bottom can fall out for the Cardinals. I don't deny that but the team has been winning the games they shouldn't win and also winning the games they should. Even if they don't deserve it. They believe they can win any game. Since they lost 6 straight at the start of last season they have been 11-2 and have done it in every way imaginable. They have won their first 4 starts with no running game which should only get better. Special teams should only get better as well where they haven't made much noise and yesterdays game proved the defense has room to improve.One game at a time for sure and the Cardinals will lose games they should have won this season in the future but they are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be.
Good luck the rest of the way. They missed the playoffs by 1 game last season and I do believe they have a legit shot at a playoff spot this season. But who knows. the West is tough this year.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Ok well. Good luck to you and your team. Anything can happen and the bottom can fall out for the Cardinals. I don't deny that but the team has been winning the games they shouldn't win and also winning the games they should. Even if they don't deserve it. They believe they can win any game. Since they lost 6 straight at the start of last season they have been 11-2 and have done it in every way imaginable. They have won their first 4 starts with no running game which should only get better. Special teams should only get better as well where they haven't made much noise and yesterdays game proved the defense has room to improve.One game at a time for sure and the Cardinals will lose games they should have won this season in the future but they are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be.
Good luck the rest of the way. They missed the playoffs by 1 game last season and I do believe they have a legit shot at a playoff spot this season. But who knows. the West is tough this year.

The better team doesnt always make the playoffs. Its all relative to schedule and as you said, every team in the west looks like tough wins. I think the West is actually in better shape from top to bottom than the North. Once you factor in some of the remaining games, I think Arizona will have a little bit more difficulties simply because of the strength of their opponent.

MN plays the west this year, and they handled the 49ers in MN. I expect the Cardinals to play MN very close in MN but MN is a difficult place for a road opponent to win. The Vikes play the Seahawks and Rams on the road and those two games are probably losses for MN, but they should be close games.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
The Bengals are contenders to make the playoffs.

They are NOT contenders to do much more than that.

Dating back to last year, they havent shown the ability to play at a top level. And when I say top level, I mean competing with the top teams. Beating up on bottom feeders doesnt matter if you cant beat the teams you need to to be taken seriously.

Ive stated several times I like the direction the Bengals are going, but at this point, they are no different than last year. The only TRULY good team they have faced this year is Baltimore and they were humiliated.

I could see the Bengals starting off 5-1 and getting tons of hype.

After they bye, they start facing real teams.....if the Bengals make the playoffs this year, Ill say they are true contenders. At this point, they are simple a DECENT team beating up on crappy teams and getting their butts kicked by the real contenders.

Pretty much this.

Unless we can get the running game and secondary fixed we're not going to be serious contenders. On the plus side we did hold the Jags (I know) to 10 points at home without Leon Hall, Nate Clements, Dre Kirkpatrick, Jason Allen, Pat Sims and Dontay Moch. Will be interesting to see if the return of Moch can provide us some additional pass rush...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Didn't the Bengals make the playoffs and have a winning record, last year?

Yes, I think they are contenders.

Did they beat a team with a winning record last year? No.

However I think they are for real and will contend this year and make some noise.

I believed in the Cards until they barely beat the Dolphins, so now I am very skeptical.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
Didn't the Bengals make the playoffs and have a winning record, last year?

Yes, I think they are contenders.

Did they beat a team with a winning record last year? No.

However I think they are for real and will contend this year and make some noise.

I believed in the Cards until they barely beat the Dolphins, so now I am very skeptical.

We did actually.

What we didn't do is beat a single team that made the playoffs... Wink

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: