Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Connor Barwin, where art thou?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Connor Barwin, where art thou? Reply with quote

He seems to be a hot topic around here, some say he is over rated, some say he is doing his job, where do you stand on Connor Barwin? He had no recordable stats this week and 1 qb hit. He has 6 tackles in 4 games. Gary says he is doing his job, but with Watt getting a ton of pressure, Barwin cannot be getting double teams, where is the pressure and where is he vs the run? I do not think he is playing well, not sure why. It does seem like we have lined up in the 4-3 more often this season than last, but not sure if we actually have. All I know is, he seems to have disappeared thus far.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Connor Barwin, where art thou? Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
He seems to be a hot topic around here, some say he is over rated, some say he is doing his job, where do you stand on Connor Barwin? He had no recordable stats this week and 1 qb hit. He has 6 tackles in 4 games. Gary says he is doing his job, but with Watt getting a ton of pressure, Barwin cannot be getting double teams, where is the pressure and where is he vs the run? I do not think he is playing well, not sure why. It does seem like we have lined up in the 4-3 more often this season than last, but not sure if we actually have. All I know is, he seems to have disappeared thus far.

Brooks Reed said something interesting yesterday - He said that as one of the OLBs, it's hard to get a sack if JJ Watt is getting the sacks 1-2 seconds into the play. Maybe that's it?

Nonetheless, I actually like it as is. Part of this is due to the continued loss of value Barwin is getting in a contract year; If the season moves on and Barwin doesn't hit double digits, that increases our chances of getting him at a reasonable rate.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Connor Barwin, where art thou? Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Brooks Reed said something interesting yesterday - He said that as one of the OLBs, it's hard to get a sack if JJ Watt is getting the sacks 1-2 seconds into the play. Maybe that's it?

Nonetheless, I actually like it as is. Part of this is due to the continued loss of value Barwin is getting in a contract year; If the season moves on and Barwin doesn't hit double digits, that increases our chances of getting him at a reasonable rate.

Ya but we can see Brooks coming free and alomst getting there. Connor is just getting held in check.

I think me adopting him might of been a curse. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad somebody else has taken on the role of wet blanket on our success this year as I'm finding it pretty difficult to find much fault right now. Much like the AJ discussion, I think you need to account for the fact that we are going to play things pretty vanilla in these games where we have the game in hand and the base d is getting it done. I have not seen much in the way of blitzing from this Texans d, especially in the 2nd half of these blowouts. I also think expectations may have been set a bit high with Barwin as people forget that 1/3 of Barwin's sack total and 1/5 of his tackle total last year came in his one game domination of the completely inept Jags and Blaine Gabbert.

Barwin will "get his" once teams start over-correcting and focusing on double teaming JJ Watt on every play opening up Barwin's on the edge. Much like the brilliant Glover Quin blitz play, I think Wade has been storing up the stunts for when they will be most effective and why bother getting those on tape when you are up by multiple TDs in the 3rd quarter. We will need Barwin, Reed, Antonio, and JJ firing on all cylinders to beat the Packers and Ravens and I expect nothing less than a full on assault. Also, please consider that Braman and Nading played a healthy chunk of snaps in the 4th quarter yesterday which is where stat padding often comes.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
I'm glad somebody else has taken on the role of wet blanket on our success this year as I'm finding it pretty difficult to find much fault right now. Much like the AJ discussion, I think you need to account for the fact that we are going to play things pretty vanilla in these games where we have the game in hand and the base d is getting it done. I have not seen much in the way of blitzing from this Texans d, especially in the 2nd half of these blowouts. I also think expectations may have been set a bit high with Barwin as people forget that 1/3 of Barwin's sack total and 1/5 of his tackle total last year came in his one game domination of the completely inept Jags and Blaine Gabbert.

Barwin will "get his" once teams start over-correcting and focusing on double teaming JJ Watt on every play opening up Barwin's on the edge. Much like the brilliant Glover Quin blitz play, I think Wade has been storing up the stunts for when they will be most effective and why bother getting those on tape when you are up by multiple TDs in the 3rd quarter. We will need Barwin, Reed, Antonio, and JJ firing on all cylinders to beat the Packers and Ravens and I expect nothing less than a full on assault. Also, please consider that Braman and Nading played a healthy chunk of snaps in the 4th quarter yesterday which is where stat padding often comes.

Now that you mention it I don't recall us even using a stunt in any of our games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

Sorry don't by it, the base D has nothing to do with Barwins inability to make tackles....
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

Sorry don't by it, the base D has nothing to do with Barwins inability to make tackles....

The only time you worry about individual player tackles is when the secondary is racking them all up, but that isn't the case. The tackles are being distributed, it is not an issue.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
jargin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 98 is lining up where he usually lines up, at the OLB and DE spots. I see him every game. Its just that the QB is either sacked by Watt, has his pass tipped at the line by Jamison or Cody or Mitchell or Antonio or somebody, the pass is incomplete or the ball is out of the QB's hands before anyone can get there.

I'm not worried about 98 at all. He is facing the opposing team's best blocker. He is an effort player that will probably break through on a nationally televised game and we will all go....oh there he is.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we can resign him for a discount.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...so, given two more lackluster performances from Barwin, does the team consider giving Whitney Mercilius more snaps at Barwin's OLB role? Yesterday was a bit of a spotlight on how badly Barwin is playing, as the guy isn't finishing plays like he used to a season ago.

Also - Does anyone think this might have to do with the uncertainty behind Barwin and his contract situation? I know that the team was working on an extension around the same time we extended Duane Brown, but nothing ever happened (rumors are that the Texans made an offer and Barwin's people declined the offer; Par for the course in these types of negotiations, you don't sign the first deal made to you). I'm sure Barwin was expecting his deal to be the next deal fleshed out, then Matt Schaub gets HIS new deal. You think that concerns on whether or not he's gonna get paid by Houston is weighing on him right now, taking him out of his game?

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything Barwin has to be motivated to play better. He knows he is losing money very game. He has to average a sack a game the rest of the season to be offer top 25 OLB money

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck I'd give Brahman a shot, his motor is ridiculous!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
If anything Barwin has to be motivated to play better. He knows he is losing money very game. He has to average a sack a game the rest of the season to be offer top 25 OLB money

I don't think that the pressure of a contract makes you play better. If anything you start to press too hard to try and make an impact (jumping on thr backs of linemen while trying to block a kick).

I think he will be fine. But he needs to settle down and focus on the opportunities he gets. That said though, it is time to get Mercilus in more, if for nothing else than to prepare for next year if we lose Barwin in free agency.
jargin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barwin came close, but no cigar vs the Pack.

He is bleeding millions right now

and Watt is working towards 100 million

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I am worried about Barwin and his play this season.
He had a couple of chances to get sacks on Rodgers, and given Rodgers is a pretty good runner Barwin STILL could have gotten sacks.

I heard that Kubiak/Phillips said Mercilus isn't quite ready to become a full time OLB since he is still developing against the run, but I think it's time to get him more snaps than he already has. I also agree with LBJChris...I think Braman should at least get a shot too. His motor is ridiculous. Maybe pressuring Barwin can get him going.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: