Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers 28 Saints 27 FINAL. Post Game Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCamGOPACKGO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying we should fire Capers at all, but I have noticed a big difference in his play-calling and results since 2010-11. It's just not the same but that may largely be a personnel thing and our rookies look very good to this point so maybe by Week 12 or so it's back to form. But yea, the zone thing has got to stop.

And as far as disagreeing with certain posters here, it gets a little obnoxious how dismissive some get over a difference of opinion, which leads to the "overly-emotional" reaction (as some dismissively call it). I actually remember a guy telling me "that must be the popular opinion" during preseason when I was saying there was a noticeable difference in the officiating of the replacement refs. That is certainly laughable now after the Fail Mary debacle and the Pack being 2-2 when we should be tied atop the division at 3-1. And I see the same guy calling people names just because they disagree on Dom Capers. Obviously this type of attitude is not helpful in creating the type of forum we want here and the attitude needs to be checked when debating...just sayin.

Shout out to justo on the avatar!
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
If we keep looking for a DC that can shut down Brees, we are going to be looking for DCs for a long time. Sometimes you just have to do what we did yesterday, and thats enough. Like Brees said after the game to Rodgers, man I would like to beat you once. Laughing Capers is good enough in the games where the offense struggles and then when the D struggles, thats when Rodgers and company go to town.

You speak the truth. Brees is just that hard to stop. His problem this year is his defense is atrocious and his HC is gone. The game wouldn't have been as close as it was had that guy not poked Aaron in the eye.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
That's in line with Capers history also, RS. Looks as if he likes about a 50/50 split. No real pattern in his play calling though. Man could show you anything on any given play. Gets crazy with it at times also. Not common with him, but I broke one down last year where he flipped zone/man on 9 consecutive plays! There is a method to his madness, no doubt. But it makes for a interesting watch more weeks than not.

Is that why there seem to be communication breakdowns week after week(especially with young players like Shields/Burnett vs Morgan this week)?

I'll say this, I'm a Capers fan. Give him the right guys back there and his system is hell to deal with. Go back in time when you could keep a group of players back there together for a few years and Capers system truly stood out. Why Capers got his looks in the big chair.

That all said, if there is a flaw in Capers system it is that it is both injury and youth sensitive. Everyone needs to be on the same page back there or it's a big play waiting to happen. The injury thing is what it is. But your always going to be dealing with youth in todays NFL.

If this group can stay healthy, I look for major improvements there come years end.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We held Drew Brees and the Saints to 27 points...and we did it with a lot of youth on defense. In his fourth year Clay Mathews is on of the "veterans" on the defense.

Lets look at Burnett, Heyword, Jennings, McMillen, House, and even Shields as a third year player...all in the backend.

You have DJ Smith in the middle, with Perry as the youngsters in the middle.

Then you have Worthy, Daniels, and now Neal when he returns up front. All these guys are getting playing time and are very young...The D will be fine, just let them age (take their bumps) and we will get stronger as the year/s go on.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMHS wrote:
We held Drew Brees and the Saints to 27 points...and we did it with a lot of youth on defense. In his fourth year Clay Mathews is on of the "veterans" on the defense.

Lets look at Burnett, Heyword, Jennings, McMillen, House, and even Shields as a third year player...all in the backend.

You have DJ Smith in the middle, with Perry as the youngsters in the middle.

Then you have Worthy, Daniels, and now Neal when he returns up front. All these guys are getting playing time and are very young...The D will be fine, just let them age (take their bumps) and we will get stronger as the year/s go on.

This is my line of thinking as well. What's so incredibly frustrating is we had a young Defense in 2010 as well and that was the best unit we've had in franchise history.

What I know for sure is Sam Shields is incredibly uncomfortable playing zone and if Capers continues to put him in those situation he was in on Sunday he is probably going to continue to fail.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack4life7 wrote:
What I know for sure is Sam Shields is incredibly uncomfortable playing zone and if Capers continues to put him in those situation he was in on Sunday he is probably going to continue to fail.

Better to fail and learn early in the season than late, though. Shields is playing an expanded role this year, have we ever seen him line up vs the slot as much as he did vs NO?

Sig brought to you by Justo
incognito_man wrote:
i forewent football this thursday in lieu of Grey's Anatomy and a bottle of wine
Blink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge Capers fan at the moment, but I don't think he should be fired.

We have a ton of rookies playing significant snaps, so there will be communication issues. When the scheme is executed well it is a nightmare for QBs, only problem is that its hard to master quickly due to the complexity.

Sometimes I really wish we would be a little simpler on defense. We have the talent to line up and just beat people, let them do their thing. I'd really like to see some simple man to man, safety zones and rush four.

That being said, our defense has looked pretty good aside from NO. I wouldn't be suprised to see us really hit our stride late in the year as the rookies get more experience.

What's the deal with Perry? I'm seeing a lot of Walden out there lately. Is he hurt? He had a great bull rush in preseason, but I honestly haven't even noticed him this year. Jerel hasn't been on fire either.
strat1080

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
If we keep looking for a DC that can shut down Brees, we are going to be looking for DCs for a long time. Sometimes you just have to do what we did yesterday, and thats enough. Like Brees said after the game to Rodgers, man I would like to beat you once. Laughing Capers is good enough in the games where the offense struggles and then when the D struggles, thats when Rodgers and company go to town.

You speak the truth. Brees is just that hard to stop. His problem this year is his defense is atrocious and his HC is gone. The game wouldn't have been as close as it was had that guy not poked Aaron in the eye.

I agree. That Saints offense is designed to gobble yardage and 3rd downs. There are a boatload of pass-catching options and Brees is very decisive with the ball. The key is playing good red zone defense and the Packers did that. We won because our offense scored a TD 4 out of 5 times in the red zone, while the Saints only scored two TDs in 2 out of 4 trips to the red zone.

Rodgers was the more efficient QB. Sure, Brees threw for a boat load of yards but he wasn't as efficient as Rodgers. Brees completed a lower percentage of his passes and threw fewer TD passes on 14 more attempts than Rodgers. Our offense scored TDs while they scored FGs. What allowed the Saints to get back in the game was that busted coverage that led to a 80 yard TD.
PACKRULE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strat1080 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

I agree. That Saints offense is designed to gobble yardage and 3rd downs. There are a boatload of pass-catching options and Brees is very decisive with the ball. The key is playing good red zone defense and the Packers did that. We won because our offense scored a TD 4 out of 5 times in the red zone, while the Saints only scored two TDs in 2 out of 4 trips to the red zone.

Rodgers was the more efficient QB. Sure, Brees threw for a boat load of yards but he wasn't as efficient as Rodgers. Brees completed a lower percentage of his passes and threw fewer TD passes on 14 more attempts than Rodgers. Our offense scored TDs while they scored FGs. What allowed the Saints to get back in the game was that busted coverage that led to a 80 yard TD.

great analysis.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, Capers should be fired because we gave up 400+ yards to one of the best offenses in the league...?

Jesus, I'm surprised anyone in the NFL has a job at this point.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capers can't do everything for his players. If you tell a LB to get deep they better get deep.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Wait, Capers should be fired because we gave up 400+ yards to one of the best offenses in the league...?

Jesus, I'm surprised anyone in the NFL has a job at this point.

Shame on you

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think we should fire Capers, but we have to play to our strengths, which is man coverage. Our secondary lacks communication to effective run a zone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
Don't think we should fire Capers, but we have to play to our strengths, which is man coverage. Our secondary lacks communication to effective run a zone.

You HAVE to be able to run a spread of coverages. No matter how good at it you are, if you run 1 coverage a vast majority of the time, offenses can attack and exploit it. That is the big problem with defenses like the cover 2. Every individual defense has holes and if you consistently give the same looks, the offense can shred it. Capers runs the defensive equivalent of McCarthy's "multiple" offense where Capers uses similar personnel groupings for a variety of alignments and coverages. Is the offense going to sometimes be able to catch you in a bad look? Sure, but overall, in the chess match aspect of it, trying to find a defense that will contain the offense, without being predictable is the way a coach can make an impact.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VoltageLeak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
If we keep looking for a DC that can shut down Brees, we are going to be looking for DCs for a long time.

Amen. Just re-watched the game on NFL network last night. Man, some of his third down completions...you couldn't fit a business card between the outstretched fingertips of our linebacker and the ball. He splits the zone that precisely. And he's a class act. Was completely humble and congratulatory towards Rogers immediately after the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: