Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bye-Week Shake-Up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
tytalton wrote:
that's disappointing....in no way should his job be safe after the string of performances he put together.

What is more frustrating is coverage on the punt was great. The tackling was not.

Exactly

That is on players and management for players they have.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Irishmouse25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me it looks as if none of them are playing with the heart and desire they did last year

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're overlooking not only is Calvin on the Madden cover, but Ford Field is too.

/Madden Cursed
38andy38

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This offence needs to learn how to exploit what the defence is allowing them to do. Catching the ball would be a great start of course but I don't like the stubbornness of Schwartz saying we need to push it downfield. That kind of thinking will allow for a 4-12 season.

I liked the package with Reiff in at TE as an extra blocker, that could pay off down the road. All credit to Minny they played the run very well but with more snaps I believe LeShoure/Bell/Best? could be a formidable group that forces defences out of that 2 deep shell.

Calvin in the slot is going to be how he makes his living for the foreseeable future I just hope Linehan recognizes that and exploits the defences for moderate gains instead of trying to bite the whole thing off at once all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

38andy38 wrote:
This offence needs to learn how to exploit what the defence is allowing them to do. Catching the ball would be a great start of course but I don't like the stubbornness of Schwartz saying we need to push it downfield. That kind of thinking will allow for a 4-12 season.

I don't disagree at all, but weren't fans critical that Stafford was doing too much "dinking and dunking" over the last few weeks? (Not saying you were, just in general.)

We need to do it all. We need to dink and dunk when it's open. We need to run to pull the safeties in. We need to take a few shots deep. And, most importantly, we need to play better on STs. Doing so would probably have us looking at a 3-1 record heading into the BYE.

Team Stylish
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not being aggressive on offense. They're allowing the defenses to dictate what they do instead of being proactive and making the defenses adjust to them.

Game planning has been poor as has the execution.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our coaching has been horrible in adjusting. Teams have been playing a 2 deep man coverage on us with the Safties 20 yards off the line. We need to attack the 5-15 yard routes because there is no Saftey help there. It's like Linehan came into the season thinking we will hit 20 yard passes non stop, can't due to coverage, decided to run to draw up the Safties and it didn't work, so we were lost once again.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I think our coaching has been horrible in adjusting. Teams have been playing a 2 deep man coverage on us with the Safties 20 yards off the line. We need to attack the 5-15 yard routes because there is no Saftey help there. It's like Linehan came into the season thinking we will hit 20 yard passes non stop, can't due to coverage, decided to run to draw up the Safties and it didn't work, so we were lost once again.

You're hired.

2 deep safeties is one of the easier things to take advantage of. The fact we haven't is......frustrating at a minimum.
tytalton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in another thread but I am really getting the feeling Schwartz is starting to go Marinelli with the defense of his schemes and coaches. Especially his defense of Crossman. Fine if you don't want to fire the idiot but you can't defend the pathetic results he has put out there the last few weeks...there has to be accountability at some point.

I kind of get the feeling that Schwartz and Mayhew may not have this all figured out as much as I thought in the past. It is kind of disturbing - I haven't seen such cluelessness since the Marinelli days...its scary man! I really don't know if we have the players, front office and coaches to put something together now? Off the field arrests, continued undisciplined play with penalties, inept offense and defense. Frankly we are lucky to be 1-3.

Most of the time a loss gets some perspective after a day or two and it's no big deal. This loss really represented some systemic flaws that multiple coaches have exploited this year as well as last year. I don't want to go to that dark place from the Marinelli days - but these guys are pretty pathetic right now and I have some serious doubts they can have success in the future. Forget about this year already - but 2014 and beyond.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stafford has seemed to have regressed mentally this year. Maybe its the route combos, but the open guys is always not the one he's reading. Its crazy watching other games where the TE, or the WR is wide open on a quick 10-15 yard seam or post route. Maybe Linehan's route combos dont work. Also, we havent seemed to run any screens. I'd like to see at least 2-3 per game. I want to see the no huddle before theres 5 mins left in the game, we are our best in the no huddle.

These WR's really need to stop dropping the ball. They have 2 weeks to fix this problem.

Im really starting to hate this defensive scheme. QB's dont even have to read our defense, they know whats happening every play (with the exception of 2-3 blitzes per quarter), which makes nearly every QB we play against seem like freraking Peyton Manning out there. Next year, we need to scrap the wide-9, run a conventional 4-3 and move our playmakers around. RUN A FREAKING STUNT. Maybe slant the DT once in a while. I've seen a few sacks where the OT chases the DE slanting in leaving the DT wide...open to loop around to the QB. No talent needed. Free sack.

These LB's are too inconsistant. Levy looks great one game, yet cannot tackle the next. One game Durant is a negative yardage beast, the next a little girl chasing RB's. Tulloch is usually good, but sometimes looks lost when a OL comes up to block him.

We all know our CB problems. Houston is a very bright spot. Bentley should be a great slot guy. Hopefully Greenwood can provide a boost. Hopefully Green sees no playing time.

Now our safeties.... good news Delmas should come back. Bad news, Coleman, Speivey, Silva or.... Wendling have to play the other S spot. Maybe Speivey can learn a thing or 2 during the bye.

Man, I really want some more Reiff. Backus got schooled by Allen. Cherilus still doesnt do much for me. Raiola stinks. Peterman as well. Sims has been okay, but not close at all to last year. I dont care where he plays, I want him in. Broyles got one look, and dropped the ball. It looks like our team doesn't care. They drop it and its just, oh well. I've already addressed Bentley. Where Ronnell? Is he on ST? I dont see him. Ive seen him twice at DE. Not much there. Ive seen Whitehead on ST. He's caused a fumble, but missed tackles too. He's been alright. Travis has been inactive, which sucks.

Our ST is the worst in the league. We are worse than the 2011 Chargers. On both returns, there has been a huge hole, in the same spot, both times and it hasnt been addressed. Even Harvin and Frazier knew there was going to be a hole. Thats just embarrasing. Literally embarrasing. I'd rather kick it out of bounds on purpose than risk a return. I dont get why there are certain people on our ST. Why RB's? Do they tackle for a living?... No, no they dont. Why not Tulloch, or Durant? They tackle for a living, at least I think they do. Wendling was a pro bowl ST guy. Not any more. Things change, change is employment status.... please.

I think thats what they need to cover this week. If I think of more, I'll let you know.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:

I agree completely. I look at other offenses and how they run these 15 yard square-ins and comebacks and slow deep crossing routes across the zones and can't understand how we can't do this with Burleson and Young when we have obvious rolled coverages towards Calvin and Pettigrew.
Locke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

I agree completely. I look at other offenses and how they run these 15 yard square-ins and comebacks and slow deep crossing routes across the zones and can't understand how we can't do this with Burleson and Young when we have obvious rolled coverages towards Calvin and Pettigrew.

Well if you have obvious rolled coverages towards Calvin and Pettigrew, maybe they shouldn't be the top two on the team for targets. Who do you put that on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: