Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bye-Week Shake-Up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Bye-Week Shake-Up Reply with quote

I think that there should be some significant changes during the bye-week. This team is lethargic and needs a serious wake-up call. Everyone talks about the d-line under-performing and maybe they are but it seems to me that our group of WRs is under-performing just as badly. They almost never get any kind of separation. Is there anyone that can make defenses pay for double-teaming, bracketing and rolling coverages that people put on Calvin Johnson?

Here are some moves that could shake up the Lions:

Coaching:

1. Fire Danny Crossman--two touchdown returns today, enough said
2. Fire Shawn Jefferson--zero WR separation, everyone but CJ is invisible

Some might suggest firing Scott Linehan but who would replace him?

Players:
1. Insert Riley Reiff into the starting line-up. RG might be a good place for him to play for now. Peterman was horrible today.

2. If Ryan Broyles is healthy give him some of Titus Young's snaps. Young continues to be invisible.

3. Trade or release on of our under-performing players to send a message to the rest of the team. There are a number of candidates but I would trade Brandon Pettigrew. He is way over-rated and after watching another TD pass go through his hands I would rather have someone who is more consistent and sure handed.

What are some shake-up moves that you think should happen?
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, release Stefan Logan and Jon Wendling. Logan is useless if he's just taking a knee on kick-offs. Can't tackle on kick coverage. Wendling is just as useless now that he's been supplanted at safety. He completely wiffed on a few tackles. How about if we can get a few guys that have the courage to break up to the two-man wall! Absolutely brutal.

We need to win the next 5 to have any chance at the post-season IMO. The only saving grace would be securing a spot in the draft to take one of the top corners.

Did Avril hurt his knee? Hopefully the ACL. What a waste of $11 million.
38andy38

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
Also, release Stefan Logan and Jon Wendling. Logan is useless if he's just taking a knee on kick-offs. Can't tackle on kick coverage. Wendling is just as useless now that he's been supplanted at safety. He completely wiffed on a few tackles. How about if we can get a few guys that have the courage to break up to the two-man wall! Absolutely brutal.

We need to win the next 5 to have any chance at the post-season IMO. The only saving grace would be securing a spot in the draft to take one of the top corners.

Being reported as a back injury, know more tomorrow

2013 Adopt A Lion - Reggie Bush
1King

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:

Did you just hope that someone tore his ACL?

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Moparguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bye-Week Shake-Up Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
I think that there should be some significant changes during the bye-week. This team is lethargic and needs a serious wake-up call. Everyone talks about the d-line under-performing and maybe they are but it seems to me that our group of WRs is under-performing just as badly. They almost never get any kind of separation. Is there anyone that can make defenses pay for double-teaming, bracketing and rolling coverages that people put on Calvin Johnson?

Here are some moves that could shake up the Lions:

Coaching:

1. Fire Danny Crossman--two touchdown returns today, enough said
2. Fire Shawn Jefferson--zero WR separation, everyone but CJ is invisible

Some might suggest firing Scott Linehan but who would replace him?

Players:
1. Insert Riley Reiff into the starting line-up. RG might be a good place for him to play for now. Peterman was horrible today.

2. If Ryan Broyles is healthy give him some of Titus Young's snaps. Young continues to be invisible.

3. Trade or release on of our under-performing players to send a message to the rest of the team. There are a number of candidates but I would trade Brandon Pettigrew. He is way over-rated and after watching another TD pass go through his hands I would rather have someone who is more consistent and sure handed.

What are some shake-up moves that you think should happen?

I normally dont call for coach firing at mid season. But Crossman is my exception to that rule. He is flat terrible.

I agree with Reiff being inserted. The run blocking has been flat terrible especially on the rights side.

THey are a throwing team. Time to acknowledge that fact and move to a more creative opened up O. More 3 WR sets and

As for Pettigrew. THey arent trading him. flat out. I could see benching him for Scheffler for awile.

My moves?

Reiff to LT Backus to Rt and Fox to RG.

Use the short passing game as a running game. It may allow Stafford to get into a grove passing. Use the run less but allow it to be more effective now that we have a legit RB.

Otherwise there I dont see what more they can do. They are injury limited at DB. They already rotate their linemen so who starts isnt much of a big deal. They dont have any LB's they can use to replace Durant.

The only thing I can think of is be more aggressive calling blitzes. And the obvious changing the emphasis on the offensive philosophy would do wonders.

Anyone know Greenwoods status? I know he is raw but that physical ability does not come around often.
tytalton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is this team came into the season totally unprepared and imploded like I haven't seen since the Marinelli days...the ways they have found to lose stagger the imagination.

I just hope Mayhew learned from his years under Millen and doesn't go into that bunker mentality and isn't afraid to cut guys or make changes. Millen believed all of his guys were flawless gems and with the right situation everything would be a-ok...nothing could be further from the truth. I'm just hoping Mayhew has some objectivity and can evaluate these guys based on what they can contribute going forward - I'm tired of the wishing and hoping while none of the personnel changes!
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team is not going to the post season. As of right now they aren't going to finish 8-8. They have already dropped two games that I couldn't imagine them losing prior to the start of the year.

It really looks like last year was the anomaly and this year they have come back to earth. They lived on 4th quarter comebacks last year and it appears this year they have figured out how to keep the Lions much ballyhooed passing game out of the end zone.

I don't see any quick fixes here and I also don't see a single player playing to potential.

This team needs to find focus and concentrate on doing little things right. They also need to find out how to work together as a team because they suck individually.

Cliff Avril, Nick Fairley, Titus Young have been major dissapointments. Stafford has stopped throwing interceptions but he's forgotten how to throw TD passes as well which makes him a dissapointments as well.

Where is the kicking game?

Did they suddenly forget you can kick it through the end zone? How about punting it out of bounds? Right there is 14 points a game.

I can't point to a single player that is finding a way to make the big play when the Lions need it.

There are a large group of players on this team making monster dollars and they need to find a way to step it up.

On defence Suh and Avril need to get it done.

On offence Stafford and CJ better find a way to get it in the end zone. 1 TD for CJ isn't good and at his current rate Stafford will finish the season with 12 TD passes. Not to mention his sub standard QB rating.

Collectively these guys better get a gut check.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
tytalton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on all points dh - and I'll add that CJ's only TD was from Hill this year unless I'm mistaken?

A concerted poor effort by the entire team that thought they were better than what they actually were. They certainly forgot what got them there last year - hard work and focus. We've seen none of that this year.

I have to admit Joe Staley was right - about the DL but also the team as a whole. If I were Schwartz I'd be breathing fire right now...
EhJae

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
This team is not going to the post season. As of right now they aren't going to finish 8-8. They have already dropped two games that I couldn't imagine them losing prior to the start of the year.

It really looks like last year was the anomaly and this year they have come back to earth. They lived on 4th quarter comebacks last year and it appears this year they have figured out how to keep the Lions much ballyhooed passing game out of the end zone.

I don't see any quick fixes here and I also don't see a single player playing to potential.

This team needs to find focus and concentrate on doing little things right. They also need to find out how to work together as a team because they suck individually.

Cliff Avril, Nick Fairley, Titus Young have been major dissapointments. Stafford has stopped throwing interceptions but he's forgotten how to throw TD passes as well which makes him a dissapointments as well.

Did they suddenly forget you can kick it through the end zone? How about punting it out of bounds? Right there is 14 points a game.

I can't point to a single player that is finding a way to make the big play when the Lions need it.

There are a large group of players on this team making monster dollars and they need to find a way to step it up.

On offence Stafford and CJ better find a way to get it in the end zone. 1 TD for CJ isn't good and at his current rate Stafford will finish the season with 12 TD passes. Not to mention his sub standard QB rating.

Great post, agree completely.
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EhJae wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Great post, agree completely.
I agree as well but I'd definitely call out another player or two. In a disappointing season, some players suck above all others- and Pettigrew is sucking more than the rest IMO. Bently is sitting on that pedestal as well.
tytalton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew is a major disappointment...that puts his drops at what - 8 on the year? Equal (by some counts) to what he dropped last year in total? Against 23 catches on the year?

I think if you bench him you immediately have a better team. Who cares if a guy gets 6 catches a game if you don't know when he is going to drop another? Too wildly inconsistent to even be considered for a starting spot imo
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is going to do the gut check though? Who is going to step up and call players or themselves?

I say give Scheffler starting time. Fire Crossman. Put a fire under Stafford's butt.

Can't believe that you want Avril to have a torn ACL...
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
Who is going to do the gut check though? Who is going to step up and call players or themselves?

I say give Scheffler starting time. Fire Crossman. Put a fire under Stafford's butt.

He'd come cheap next year. Laughing
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
YlionsY wrote:

He'd come cheap next year. Laughing

Hopefully all of our star players have significant season ending injuries in contract years. Wink
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tytalton wrote:
Pettigrew is a major disappointment...that puts his drops at what - 8 on the year? Equal (by some counts) to what he dropped last year in total? Against 23 catches on the year?

I think if you bench him you immediately have a better team. Who cares if a guy gets 6 catches a game if you don't know when he is going to drop another? Too wildly inconsistent to even be considered for a starting spot imo

I think parking him and Young right not be a bad idea.

Scheffler and Heller can split the snaps and if Broyles is ready he can take Young's snaps.

Obviously something needs to be done to snap these guys out of it. Frankly if Stafford can't get anything done in the first half against Philly I'd let Hill have the back half of the game. Maybe that would shake a few guys up.

Pettigrew gets heat for his drops and I think he almost has as many in 4 games as he had all last season but all of them are dropping passes. Each and everyone of the receivers.

I'm rewatching the game and I'm just overcome with frustration. The Lions just make me sick.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: