Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Time to stop the BPA draft strategy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:
I understand the theory behind drafting the best player available based off player ratings, but to me our team is lopsided. I dont mind slighty reaching for a player to fill a hole. Rieff and Broyles this year are being used sparingly and probably will for the rest of the season. Why not use those picks on a player that would of help out from day 1 that was also an upgrade over a current roster spot. Was there not a CB or Safety that rated near Rieffs rating that would of helped out this D? The coaches knew he wasnt going to start after they resigned Backus. Im just saying I dont know how they can continue to grab guys like this, and fairley when there are far to many other pressing needs.

If they don't draft Reiff just how do you expect the team to have a LT ready to take over when Backus retires?

Reach on that pick when Backus retires.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:
I understand the theory behind drafting the best player available based off player ratings, but to me our team is lopsided. I dont mind slighty reaching for a player to fill a hole. Rieff and Broyles this year are being used sparingly and probably will for the rest of the season. Why not use those picks on a player that would of help out from day 1 that was also an upgrade over a current roster spot. Was there not a CB or Safety that rated near Rieffs rating that would of helped out this D? The coaches knew he wasnt going to start after they resigned Backus. Im just saying I dont know how they can continue to grab guys like this, and fairley when there are far to many other pressing needs.

If they don't draft Reiff just how do you expect the team to have a LT ready to take over when Backus retires?

Cherilus 2.0

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:

Cherilus 2.0
Cherilus has provided every bit of the impact Pettigrew has, who was supposedly BPA.

In fact, gun to my head- if I had to choose one I'd pick Goz
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:

Cherilus 2.0
Cherilus has provided every bit of the impact Pettigrew has, who was supposedly BPA.

I disagree 100%. While Pet has struggled this year he made many grabs last year that were keys to Det making playoffs.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fresnolions wrote:

Its because Reiff could be our LT of the future that will go along well with Leshoure, Stafford, and Johnson.

So picking Reiff who has more potential and talent than anyone available on the board at the time is smarter than reaching for a guy who will possibly be a serviceable number 2 and rushing him into this year and could hinder his development would be bad for this team.

SI did a great article on teams that draft need in the past vs those that draft BPA. I wish I could find it. Really opened my eyes as to how reaching on players to fill holes may be a decent band aid but does make the whole team better overall.

Reaching on secondary players because its a hole would create holes elsewhere and the future overall development of the team would be sacrificed.

I hate our secondary as much as anyone and I don't always agree with who the Lions have at BPA but when a future superstar LT (maybe not Reiff but maybe so) is available and some decent but not great (I could be wrong) CB's are available its really not a hard choice for me.

I would much rather take a possible cornerstone for our offense who will be ready in a couple of years to take over rather than a second rate corner who will struggle just like Bently is struggling and will not really provide that much of an upgrade this year but will downgrade our team as a whole in the next few years because we missed out on a superstar.

I know this is one example out of the many that could be made for either argument but drafting BPA has shown to be much much more successful for NFL teams.

It will take years to develop this and show it and we need the right guy at the helm making the decisions. It will especially take longer because of our very recent 0-16 team devoid of talent. These 4 games cannot allow us to deviate from that plan. We are going to hit bumps in the road but we are on the right track.
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:

Cherilus 2.0

I disagree 100%. While Pet has struggled this year he made many grabs last year that were keys to Det making playoffs.
Cherilus keeps Stafford upright, Pettigrew is highly overrated.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:

Cherilus 2.0

Without Pettigrew Det does not make playoffs last year.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:

Cherilus 2.0

Pettigrew could be replaced easier than Gosder. If both are up for F/A at seasons end, Gosder would be my higher priority. Plenty of TE's that could step in and match Pettigrew's production, if not exceed it.
fresnolions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diehardlionsfan, my take on why we lost the last 3 games is simple. Besides the horrific special teams play and horrible play calling. Against the niners and Titans our secondary couldn't stop multiple 3 and long situations and couldn't stop big plays. Against the vikings it was flat out special teams and bentley giving up 2 deep PIs and the 1st down catch in 4th quarter killed it. so how is a #4 Wr and 2nd string OL supposed to help us make plays on D. Our offense hasn't been unstoppable and hasn't necessarily been good. But they have been good enough the last 2 years that we shouldn't have lost 10 of our last 16 games. I would be ok with the rieff pick if we wouldn't of resigned backyard and used his money to help out other needs. We don't have a good enough team to waste on players that can't come in and help immediately.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fresnolions wrote:
Diehardlionsfan, my take on why we lost the last 3 games is simple. Besides the horrific special teams play and horrible play calling. Against the niners and Titans our secondary couldn't stop multiple 3 and long situations and couldn't stop big plays. Against the vikings it was flat out special teams and bentley giving up 2 deep PIs and the 1st down catch in 4th quarter killed it. so how is a #4 Wr and 2nd string OL supposed to help us make plays on D. Our offense hasn't been unstoppable and hasn't necessarily been good. But they have been good enough the last 2 years that we shouldn't have lost 10 of our last 16 games. I would be ok with the rieff pick if we wouldn't of resigned backyard and used his money to help out other needs. We don't have a good enough team to waste on players that can't come in and help immediately.

Yes we do. 3 years ago we didn't. Still drafted BPA. Thats how we got depth.

Looks like you should be more concerned with coaching. I know I am.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:

Cherilus 2.0

Pettigrew could be replaced easier than Gosder. If both are up for F/A at seasons end, Gosder would be my higher priority. Plenty of TE's that could step in and match Pettigrew's production, if not exceed it.

Cherilus shouldnt even be starting right now and worst OL on the starting team. Reiff is 1000 times better as a rookie

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
El Duderino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with drafting corners its almost like a crapshoot after the first round, and the Lions haven't really had the best opportunities in the first round last 4 drafts to draft one. The Lions are going have find the answer to that problem in free agency, or in the first round of the draft.

In 2008 Millen outsmarted himself, and traded back in the first two spots with the intention of Rogers-Cromartie. Of course he ends up being draft Cardinals right after after the trade back, and before the Lions pick. lol
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:

Cherilus 2.0

Cherilus shouldnt even be starting right now and worst OL on the starting team. Reiff is 1000 times better as a rookie
That's idiotic.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:

Cherilus 2.0

That's idiotic.

I know them starting Cherilus with Reiff being better is idiotic but this staff has proven they are clueless

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fresnolions wrote:

Cherilus 2.0

That's idiotic.

I know them starting Cherilus with Reiff being better is idiotic but this staff has proven they are clueless
I'm actually gargling mouthwash after throwing up for defending Gosder. Both he and Pettigrew are mediocre players, I just think Goz is a little less mediocre.

There's no doubt that Peterman is our worst starting OL though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: