Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers @ Chiefs Game Day Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Germanbolt wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:
Cason really is awful. The Clary of the defense.

I want to go heavy on DBs and O-line in next years draft.

They don't have the choice to do anything else.

Oh c'mon... Nate's been injured two year running. AJ could pull an Al Davis and draft a kicker in the 1st.

He would do that just to make me mad.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh c'mon... Nate's been injured two year running. AJ could pull an Al Davis and draft a kicker in the 1st.

If AJ is still around that means the team did something right this year. But I wouldn't put it past AJ to trade up to pick a kicker and proclaim it one of his best moves.
Germanbolt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way Mathews has been running on this last drive and the coaches have given him the rock on a crucial drive has me confident on him for the rest of the season

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our front 7 played a hell of a game and is starting to justify my gushing pre season post about that unit Very Happy

I still have concerns about our offense. Mathews is just an awesome running back and we look like a totally different unit with him. The problem is he can't seem to stay on the field. And when he's on the field he fumbles. I still think he's worth the risk. Without a decent running back, defenses tee up on Rivers and our offensive line cannot handle it.

Oh, I used to think Clary was the worst starter in the league, but now I'm convinced he's the worst player in the league. I don't know how Rivers tolerates him.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germanbolt wrote:
I was actually in California, Arizona and Nevada a month ago, visiting the West Coast, including Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, San Francisco, San Diego and LA

Was able to watch all the games while not being in a different time zone, watched the Space Shuttle fly over the Golden Gate Bridge and really enjoyed walking around San Diego Harbor. San Diego is a really, really nice and I enjoyed it at least 10 times more than LA

Didn't really know where to put that, but wanted to throw it out there Smile

Cool, glad you enjoyed your trip out west. I love both Northern and Southern California, they both have different things to offer. My brother was working in Berlin and I visited him 2 summers ago. Loved the city and enjoyed the rest of my time in Germany (especially Munich and Bavaria in general, wasn't crazy about Köln.)
candyman93

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No other GDT?
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
No other GDT?

In Gen. We'll have an anger thread after the game.

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
Our front 7 played a hell of a game and is starting to justify my gushing pre season post about that unit Very Happy

I still have concerns about our offense. Mathews is just an awesome running back and we look like a totally different unit with him. The problem is he can't seem to stay on the field. And when he's on the field he fumbles. I still think he's worth the risk. Without a decent running back, defenses tee up on Rivers and our offensive line cannot handle it.

Oh, I used to think Clary was the worst starter in the league, but now I'm convinced he's the worst player in the league. I don't know how Rivers tolerates him.

On thing I will point out, that Mayock pointed out during commentary, was notice that when Mathews was churning out his best runs we were zone-blocking. Hal Hunter, it took you this long to figure out that we don't have the personnel to straight-up man-block?

Also, I'm going to go back and look at it, but correct me if I'm wrong, Mathews isn't exactly leading the league in fumbles/touch, even among starting HB's, his just tend to be timed to come at poor time (red zone, goal line, etc.).

I'll see if I can pull up a comparison among starting HB's this year and last. Ultimately, yes, he has to work on protecting the ball better and not carrying it like a loaf of bread (and that's on him and been-getting-passes-for-way-too-long Ollie Wilson). But I get the sneaking suspicion that pure numbers wise he's not near the worst in the league at it and there wouldn't be near as much constant mention of it by the media if we were winning versus posting an under-par record (per expectations).

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pretty much what I suspected...

Thus far in 2012, this is how the starting HB fumbles play out:

Quote:
Player: Gms: Fum: FumL:
S. Greene 8 3 0
L. McCoy 7 3 2
B. Green-Ellis 7 3 2
J. Charles 7 3 2
W. McGahee 7 3 3
S. Ridley 8 2 1
D. Thomas 5 2 2
M. LeShoure 5 2 2
R. Williams 5 2 2
T. Gerhart 8 2 2
R. Mathews 8 2 2
C. Spiller 7 2 2
A. Peterson 8 2 1
F. Jackson 5 2 2
M. Turner 7 2 0

Granted that's not all of them, just a good sample size to either side of Mathews.

For 2012:
Quote:
A. Peterson - 1 fum per 75.5 att
S. Ridley - 1 fum per 75 att
J. Charles - 1 fum per 40 att
A. Bradshaw - 1 fum per 63 att
W. McGahee - 1 fum per 41 att
L. McCoy - 1 fum per 42.3 att
S. Greene - 1 fum per 69.5 att
R. Bush - 1 fum per 56 att
B. Green-Ellis - 1 fum per 41.6 att
M. Turner - 1 fum per 54 att
R. Mathews - 1 fum per 41 att

Point being here, at least this season, Mathews has shown a preponderance to be no more likely to fumble on a given carry (statistically at least) than either McGahee, Charles, or Green-Ellis and yet all we hear about is how Mathews has the fumble issues and none of the others get any such flack from the media (or other coverage).

So go back to 2011:
Quote:
Player: Gms: Fum: FumL: F/A:
M. Jones-Drew 16 6 1 1p57a
L. Blount 15 5 3 1p36.8a
R. Mathews 14 5 2 1p44.4a
A. Foster 13 5 3 1p55.6a
F. Jones 12 5 2 1p25.4a
B. Tate 15 4 3 1p43.75a
C. Benson 15 5 2 1p54.6a
B. Wells 15 4 2 1p61.25a
R. Bush 15 4 2 1p54a
W. McGahee 15 4 3 1p62.25a

He's fumbling at roughly the same rate as last season, which is a cause for concern. Not debating that this is something that needs to be fixed pronto. However, I'm more in dispute of the fact that commentators can't seem to bring up Mathews without mentioning that he has a fumble issue, a regularity which I'm certainly not noticing being mentioned with the other players that have similar or worse rates of fumbles. Just worth noting.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Also, I'm going to go back and look at it, but correct me if I'm wrong, Mathews isn't exactly leading the league in fumbles/touch, even among starting HB's, his just tend to be timed to come at poor time (red zone, goal line, etc.).

I'll see if I can pull up a comparison among starting HB's this year and last. Ultimately, yes, he has to work on protecting the ball better and not carrying it like a loaf of bread (and that's on him and been-getting-passes-for-way-too-long Ollie Wilson). But I get the sneaking suspicion that pure numbers wise he's not near the worst in the league at it and there wouldn't be near as much constant mention of it by the media if we were winning versus posting an under-par record (per expectations).

Mathews - 41 car per Fumble
Charles - 40 Car per Fumble

Close enough. That's also on 40 less carries.

The thing that gets me is that he still doesn't even try to cover the ball up in traffic. Not even a little. What is the coaching staff doing to fix it?

Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch other NFL backs anymore. Matthews fumbles more then Battle, Mcclain or Brown though and way too often for my stress level.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germanbolt wrote:
The way Mathews has been running on this last drive and the coaches have given him the rock on a crucial drive has me confident on him for the rest of the season

Here we have proof, I jinxed it on Sept. 30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Rivers played a great game, granted that INT before the half was a horrible play call but a horrible decision. I was at the game, the Q was loud and boo'd often especially on that INT play. It was a good game, it was close till the 4th, I like SD defense, Butler is a beast. Jammer clearly is old and is still grabbing WRs like he wants to hug. Cason is not good, he really looks like Arenas (just not good). What's up with Weddle, usually he has sure hands in those situations. The Chargers Offense needs work, I wasn't too impressed but the O-line did hold up but that is probably due to the dink-n-dunk passes with the run after catch ability of Alexander. All in all, good game Charger fans, next week should be exciting. Can't wait to see VJ go against Jammer.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLikeDefense wrote:
I thought Rivers played a great game, granted that INT before the half was a horrible play call but a horrible decision. I was at the game, the Q was loud and boo'd often especially on that INT play. It was a good game, it was close till the 4th, I like SD defense, Butler is a beast. Jammer clearly is old and is still grabbing WRs like he wants to hug. Cason is not good, he really looks like Arenas (just not good). What's up with Weddle, usually he has sure hands in those situations. The Chargers Offense needs work, I wasn't too impressed but the O-line did hold up but that is probably due to the dink-n-dunk passes with the run after catch ability of Alexander. All in all, good game Charger fans, next week should be exciting. Can't wait to see VJ go against Jammer.

Weddle shouldn't return punts. Really bad decision when you have a guy like Cason.

INT was bad, but honestly, rolling Rivers out is just beyond stupid.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
kramxel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the stickum was the problem here...

Rivers goes 13 for 13 without stickum....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: