Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canyon1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still high on two player that could make our defense even more dangerous for apposing offenses to face.

DT Kawann Short Purdue
CB Xavier Rhodes FSU

Short is everything that we want in WADE system he can pressure up the middle regualrly and he can stop the run up the middle his final year in college teams schemed away from him making him a non factor... If thats the case sign me up as wanting him.

Rhodes is everything Cromartie is except without the mouth and why not want that talent and skill set for your team. I dont think he would shut him down but Rhodes has the size and speed to slow down the likes of megatron and pair that with Joseph then pass defense just improved.

The other two players are my second choices for the position

DT Louis Nix Notre Dame
CB Jonathan Banks Miss St.

Dont know enough about them but could be possible draft picks
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of current injury issues, I don't see why CB would be a "top 3 rounds" need. Jonathan Joseph has had his moments prior to his hammy and groin injury, and Kareem Jackson has been nothing short of a top tier CB this season.

Unless we have a three man platoon at CB like we do OLB, I can't see justifying selecting a CB in the first three rounds. Maybe pick up some depth in the later rounds...but that's it.

I see WR and RT as the "top two rounds" selection, with NT coming in at 3rd. If we want to hedge our bets on Cushing slowing down following his knee injury, I can see an ILB somewhere in there, but even that is a stretch.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
treece300e

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Outside of current injury issues, I don't see why CB would be a "top 3 rounds" need. Jonathan Joseph has had his moments prior to his hammy and groin injury, and Kareem Jackson has been nothing short of a top tier CB this season.

Unless we have a three man platoon at CB like we do OLB, I can't see justifying selecting a CB in the first three rounds. Maybe pick up some depth in the later rounds...but that's it.

I see WR and RT as the "top two rounds" selection, with NT coming in at 3rd. If we want to hedge our bets on Cushing slowing down following his knee injury, I can see an ILB somewhere in there, but even that is a stretch.

I'm thinking BPA at NT/RT/WR in the first 3 rounds. Look at MLB in the 3rd or 4th at the earliest. Dobbins and Sharpton have played well in the middle so far, and I think we only need depth and ST out of any MLB drafted this year. I think the only positions we'd see a rookie starting next year would be RT and NT, unless we have some major injuries. ST has been one of our biggest weaknesses, so I wouldn't be surprised to see players drafted that can contribute there, and then develop for a few years before seeing the field much. With the comp picks we have this year, it may be a decent time to trade multiple later round picks for middle rounds next year. That's my opinion, though.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

I'm thinking BPA at NT/RT/WR in the first 3 rounds. Look at MLB in the 3rd or 4th at the earliest. Dobbins and Sharpton have played well in the middle so far, and I think we only need depth and ST out of any MLB drafted this year. I think the only positions we'd see a rookie starting next year would be RT and NT, unless we have some major injuries. ST has been one of our biggest weaknesses, so I wouldn't be surprised to see players drafted that can contribute there, and then develop for a few years before seeing the field much. With the comp picks we have this year, it may be a decent time to trade multiple later round picks for middle rounds next year. That's my opinion, though.

If anything, I believe the comp picks should be used to hedge some bets and pair our original selections in the rounds to move UP in the draft. This draft really lacks big-named prospects at position of needs, but if someone (say, Star Lotulelei) really grades out as a special NT/DT type, we'd be foolish to not find a package of picks that would get us into position to draft him.

I'm really thinking that if there was ever a time for Rick Smith to move up, it's now. The team is about as sturdy as you can imagine in terms of talent within the top 22, along with adequite depth at most positions. If you can find a dymanic presence to pair with the existing talent, you've added a massive piece to the core of the team, someone who can make an immediate impact.

canyon1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man if we were to trade up it better be for one of the Texas A&M boys at tackle OR.... we feel Hunter is such a beast he is the future for Houston which i am not seeing. I dont know about Hankins or Star what can people tell me about him besides that they are big
canyon1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a huge need but if TEO gets to ten i say we trade up for him pair him with Cushing that equals two headed monster
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
Man if we were to trade up it better be for one of the Texas A&M boys at tackle OR.... we feel Hunter is such a beast he is the future for Houston which i am not seeing. I dont know about Hankins or Star what can people tell me about him besides that they are big

I feel as if Wisconsin T Ricky Wagner has a great set of tools to play RT, and has the usual Texans' pedigree - Badger alumni, former TE, quick on his feet, not a mauling RT, but someone who can engage and then get to the next level. Luke Joeckel would be a nice selection, but Wagner is just as good and can be had later on.

If we DIDN'T move up, I'd advocate selecting him in the 1st - or trade down into the early 2nd and pick him.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
Its not a huge need but if TEO gets to ten i say we trade up for him pair him with Cushing that equals two headed monster

Waste for a two down ILB, IMO. Not like we're gonna play him the same amount of snaps that we play Cushing; the 2nd ILB comes off the field on passing downs (one of the reasons 'Meco was expendable).

Teo is a very good player, and if we were slated to lose Cushing, he'd be the guy I'd want at the ILB spot. Given that our ILB doesn't see the field as much as other ILBs, I'd pass and let Daryl Sharpton continue his rise to starter.

canyon1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.... I would rather trade down into the early second bec we are in good position to trade with a team that feels someone has fallen through the cracks and trades up to get them while we slide down get their second and possible their second next year as well or something like that... If short falls to the second i say trade down if we were to get Short and Wagner id call this draft a success and everyone else would be icing on the cake
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think ILB is a big need, especially with Brians acl tear, no idea if he will remain the same
canyon1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point but if Alec Ogletree comes out id save my picks and see what it would take to get him... He seems more of what we need we already have a leader and thats Cush
treece300e

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
treece300e wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

If anything, I believe the comp picks should be used to hedge some bets and pair our original selections in the rounds to move UP in the draft. This draft really lacks big-named prospects at position of needs, but if someone (say, Star Lotulelei) really grades out as a special NT/DT type, we'd be foolish to not find a package of picks that would get us into position to draft him.

I'm really thinking that if there was ever a time for Rick Smith to move up, it's now. The team is about as sturdy as you can imagine in terms of talent within the top 22, along with adequite depth at most positions. If you can find a dymanic presence to pair with the existing talent, you've added a massive piece to the core of the team, someone who can make an immediate impact.

I really like the idea of trading up if the were need were greater. As you stated, Wagner is a great RT prospect and we'd only have to trade up a few spots potentially. I think this is a pretty deep class for NT, so I don't know if it'd be worthwhile to trade up unless Star fell out of the top 8 or 10. Aside from Star, I can't really think of anyone that is worth the amount of picks we'd give up to trade that high. We're in good position to trade up, I simply don't know if there's a player worthwhile. Someone like Marquise Lee sounds pretty good about now Cool
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, Chiefs fan....
Kawann Short really seems like a decent possibility considering where you guys will more than likely be picking (bottom of first round) and what his skill set brings to the table. He has the size to anchor against the run but also can push the pocket and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. At a glance, he seems like he could be a NT in your defensive system and even maybe play some DE as well - I like his versatility, in fact, I see him as kind of a B.J. Raji-type of player. Thoughts?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*NT in the 1st unless one of the really good WR falls to us and that's highly unlikely. I like Nix but think he's gone before our pick. I also like Kawann Short and Sylvester Williams in the late 1st round, both have great size for the position and athleticism/agility you don't see in a big man often. I like Jesse Williams, and I know he's listed as a 1st round prospect but I think he lacks lateral agility and falls to the mid 2nd round. 2013 is a deep draft for DT's, lots of good ones.

*WR is our other big need, I like Martin in the slot and I think he's here for a long time, Jean and Posey haven't shown much of anything and should be fighting for a roster spot next season. AJ and Walter are getting older and WR is a big need, 1st - 3rd round. I really like Quinton Patton or Cobi Hamilton in the 2nd or 3rd round, though this seems to be a deep year at WR but lacking the elite talent at the top. WR is a pick of opportunity, when a good value comes along jump on it.

*ILB, James started off the season slow but has been playing well since mid season, Dobbins plays the run well and can lay the big hit, Sharpton has surprised me and played better than I expected, and Ruud played well Sunday but I need to see more from him. I think this is a testament to Wade and his assistants. A younger, cheaper, thumper in the middle would be nice but it's still usually a 2 down position so a mid round pick. I think one of either James, Dobbins, or Sharpton are gone next year along with Ruud. I'm thinking about guys like Andrew Jackson, Kevin Reddick, Johnathon Bostic, or Nico Johnson.

*CB, I think we lose McCain to FA and his recent foot injury might be a blessing as it give Harris much needed playing time to develop and us time to assess him. Roc looks decent as well and is good depth. If one of the top CB's (Banks) falls to us in the 1st then grab him but that's highly unlikely so go with mid round pick. I like Johnny Adams from Mich. St..

*O-line, I'm gonna stick with Newton at RT for now, he's played well but not great and like any new guy needs time to develop. I think we could use a new swing tackle in the draft unless Kubiak and Co. are impressed with either Harris or Gardner enough to keep them around at the position, but I think one of them is gone next year. I would like at least 1 O-lineman in the 2nd or 3rd round, an OT that can play OT and OG. Dallas Thomas or Ricky Wagner would be nice, maybe Xavier Nixon in the 3rd. A later round OG would be nice as well to add depth.

*OLB, I'd really like to keep Barwin but am slowly beginning to think like others that he may be gone in FA and we then take a mid-late round OLB for depth. This might be thinking outside the box but I'd sure like to see Wade move Reed to WILB, next to Cushing, and keep Barwin at SOLB and Mercilus at WOLB. I think Reed could handle the position change and then we'd draft a mid round OLB instead of ILB.

Also with all the success we've had it's going to be hard to keep all our assistant coaches, I sure hope we can.

IF, and that's a big IF for a reason, we get the expected comp. picks then we should be expecting Rick to trade our own picks, hopefully multiple extra 2nd round picks. We could possibly wind up with three 2nd round picks. I can also see Rick trading Tate, hopefully for a 2nd, and possibly T.J. Yates as well. 2013 should be an opportunity for Rick to fill all the Texans holes with quality players and stock the cubbard of future picks like the Patriots.

Last edited by Wolf6151 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jean and Posey haven't shown much of anything and should be fighting for a roster spot next season.

Posey is going to be on the roster.

People will never learn. You only give up on people like Posey this early if 1) he was really God-Awful (which he hasn't been, he hasn't even seen the field) or 2) if a new regime came in and didn't think he was a fit. Posey was a project pick, you don't give up on him after one year, everyone knew he was going to take time to develop and the Texans new that too he has the tools he just is raw and needs to put it all together.

Remember when people wanted to cut Kareem? How is that looking now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 5 of 63

Jump to: