Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4779
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
I think what killed Teo wasnt the fake girlfriend drama, but his atrocious play against Alabama. He got absolutely embarrassed and his flaws were shown. His best game of his year also came against someone who is trying to play WR in the NFL. I would gladly watch us pass him over.


I don't care who is there, there is no possible justification I can imagine for taking an ILB in the 1st. We essentially get a #1 pick back with Cushing returning from injury and we just went through this exercise of the marginal value of the #2 ILB in Wade's 3-4 that has the ILB drawing about as many snaps as the #3 Safety does.

Team Captain DeMeco Ryans played 58% of our snaps in 2011. If somebody wanted to spend some time reconciling 2012 accounting for post week 5 rotation of James + various starters including Ruud, Dobbins, Sharpton they could, but looking at James in the first 4 weeks shows 56%, 63%, 33%, 45% of snaps for an average of 49% of snaps while Cushing is out there 90%+. If you combine the #3 safeties, Demps, Nolan, and Keo they played 48% of snaps. Since it always comes up, our traditional NT's Mitchell and Cody played 61% of snaps.


I guess my question is like so: Do we know if this is a staple of Wade Phillips' brand of a 3-4 defense, or do we issue the splits like so because our ILBs past Cushing are that bad? The stat to point at is Ryans in 2011 with 58% of snaps (I thought the number was in the mid 40s, but I digress) but was that a function of Wade's D...or was it due to Ryans simply not fitting and Wade running with a front seven format that would work in his favor?

That's why I'm not COMPLETELY off the ILB in the 1st wagon. (Would still prefer a WR, in case you were wondering...but not TOTALLY abandoning ship here). Yes, the percentages over the past two seasons point to it being a non-issue, but do we know if that is because of a lack of personnel (further skewed due to the loss of Sharpton in 2011 and the loss of Cushing in 2012), or is it because that's how this D operates? If Wade were to get a stud ILB to place along Cushing - whether it be a Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree or Te'o - would we see those percentages rise?

Just thinking out loud here.


I'll go a step further. Never in the history of the league has ILB been LESS important. The rise of base 3 WR offenses already marginalized #2 ILBs, development of quasi 4th WR offenses that have Aaron Hernandez type TEs operating as WRs further marginalized them, and the rise/proliferation of the pistol QBs further rendered them useful only against antiquated offenses like the Jags or obvious running situations. Ask Jerry Jones how useful having even a good ILB like Sean Lee spy against RG3 works out? How inept was Dom Capers strict 3-4 against Kaepernick? Were the Ravens asking Ray Lewis to cover Hernandez or Vernon Davis? We are in a division vs. the Colts who base 3WR or 2TE and whomever we may draft at ILB isn't covering TY Hilton or Coby Fleener and Luck certainly qualifies as a running QB in need of attention. Titans mission is to integrate 3 explosive WRs and take advantage of Locker's wheels with pistol packages. We play the Seahawks and 49ers next year and who knows what the Chiefs, Raiders, and Cardinals will run. Hell, the 49ers couldn't even cover a running QB despite practicing against one all season with their 3-4 featuring 3 pro bowl ILBs as evidenced by Russell Wilson destroying them in week 16.

Yes, ILB is still a starting position on this football team in need of upgrade, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the common elements in our losses to Green Bay, New England, Minny, and Indy was lack of depth in the secondary (especially poor play at nickel & deep safety), special teams, and lack of production outside of AJ & Arian. The ILB folks would have an argument if we had lost to a team like Cinn or struggled against the run, but we didn't even AFTER losing Cushing and having an inferior interior defensive line. Hell, we were amongst the ONLY teams to slow down AP and he was running for a record, but our offense was a joke when we couldn't hand it to Arian 30 times. If I'm game planning against the Texans I'm doing everything I can to get McCain/Harris/Ball and/or Demps/Nolan/Keo on the field and counting on my 3 WRs & TE to outscore AJ (who has a whopping 6 tds the past 2 seasons combined). It's about time we figured out that 100 yards and a td from Arian and 100 yards and no td from AJ will not outscore a elite offenses like the ones we'll face in the playoffs and the elite defenses we will face will likely shut one of them down.


I get where you're coming from, great points abound - but what about a team like the 49ers, who have two All Pro calbur ILBs with Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman? The team adjusted it's sub packages based on having these two elite players, players who have an amazing skillset that doesn't have to be dictated by scheme - both play the run well, play the pass well, can diagnose, blitz the QB - I'd wager that those two ILBs play upwards of 90% of defensive snaps for the 49ers, the best defense in the NFL. The 49ers have one of the best pass rushing OLBs in Aldon Smith, and (based on a very limited view of the team) the LB that's subbed out on passing downs is Ahmad Brooks - even he sees a LOT of snaps.

Part of what makes the 49ers 3-4 work so well is that they have these LBs to shuffle in and out. QBs have to be mindful of any sort of personnel shuffle, because they can't read their D based on sub packages. Just because one guy is out doesn't limit the possibilities this D can attack from.

An ILB who can get into the Bowman/Willis discussion is our own Brian Cushing - if we can find someone who can mimic Cush's impact on the D, wouldn't it behoove us to investigate, at the least? There aren't many defenses that can claim to be better than the Texans over the last two seasons, it's the 49ers. While the presence of two All Pro ILBs isn't the SOLE reason in which this is the case, having these two surely doesn't hurt their cause.


But one could say the weakness of the 9ers D is their secondary. But they get pressure with the Smith's and cover the short stuff well with Willis and Bowman. That's what we need I want Ogeltree, but Minter would suffice.
_________________

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treece300e


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 440
Location: Nampa, ID
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ogletree, but I think after his 4 game suspension to start the 2012 season for a failed drug test, topped with the DUI, I doubt he'll see a Texan uniform. Sometimes being a team that prefers drafting straight-laced players can hinder the overall talent, but it's worse to blow an early draft pick on someone that is suspended for immature rule violations.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8956303/report-alec-ogletree-former-georgia-bulldogs-linebacker-arrested-dui
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grasspike


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 5161
Location: Remote Wilderness
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
I like Ogletree, but I think after his 4 game suspension to start the 2012 season for a failed drug test, topped with the DUI, I doubt he'll see a Texan uniform. Sometimes being a team that prefers drafting straight-laced players can hinder the overall talent, but it's worse to blow an early draft pick on someone that is suspended for immature rule violations.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8956303/report-alec-ogletree-former-georgia-bulldogs-linebacker-arrested-dui


And don't forget his 1-game suspension the year before that, too.
_________________

Sig by matthouston91
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5593
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
I like Ogletree, but I think after his 4 game suspension to start the 2012 season for a failed drug test, topped with the DUI, I doubt he'll see a Texan uniform. Sometimes being a team that prefers drafting straight-laced players can hinder the overall talent, but it's worse to blow an early draft pick on someone that is suspended for immature rule violations.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8956303/report-alec-ogletree-former-georgia-bulldogs-linebacker-arrested-dui


Couldn't disagree more. Character is not some isolated separate measurable like bench press or vertical jump. It is conjoined with every single aspect of a player's game starting with eligibility to play (suspensions), practice, work ethic, and conditioning thru game day decision making. If this moron who already damaged one team and his own draft stock with previous substance issues makes a decision like driving drunk the week before the combine how are you supposed to trust his decision making in the heat of battle, better yet in the week before an important game or in offseason's left to his own de-vices.

I don't have the energy to yet again update the list of teams burned by early round character-risks but the list is substantial and ramifications are felt for years as the investment in top picks often precludes cutting them when teams know they should so the hole keeps being dug. Drug and alcohol addiction is defined by self-absorbed behavior that even if the substance doesn't burn the team the self-seeking does and look no further than a team like the Jets who's proclivity for bringing in known substance abusers like Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Plaxico Burress continues to leave them exposed at WR year after year. The Bengals still bring in players with questionable character and known red flags, but at the very least they are now rolling the dice with devalued free agents or undrafted players like Burflict.

Sadly, at least guys like Cushing and Matthews focus on substances that they feel will improve their game while Maualuga devolved into a garden variety drunk likely to be looking for work this offseason at a deep discount. A guy like JJ Watt will take huge strides in his development, because he is driven to excel at his craft while guys like Ogletree just want to cash in on their "talent" and usually just pee it away on the trappings of fame and fortune while other less gifted players pass them on production, skills, and depth charts.

Awaiting the usual "who didn't get drunk & smoke in college" response...
(which would be valid if the average college student walked out of college into a $10 million job for which there are only about 40 positions available in the world (starting ILB). Sorry, any company that thinks the talent difference between Ogletree and whomever is next down the list is worth the risks of the red flags this guy brings deserves what they get. Hell, the Cowboys and Chiefs had players DIE in alcohol related incidents last season. I for one am happy the Texans understand that football talent isn't worth having one of your employees kill innocent people or themselves.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4779
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are yalls thoughts on Arthur Brown from K-State. I didn't get to see much of him since the Ags moved to the SEC.
_________________

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
longhorntexan


Joined: 09 Nov 2011
Posts: 182
Location: Austin, Texas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
What are yalls thoughts on Arthur Brown from K-State. I didn't get to see much of him since the Ags moved to the SEC.


He was good to say the least. Won Big 12 DPOY. Put up nice numbers all around and from the handful of games I was active and in on many plays, he should be a good pick up for whoever takes him, and he'll go pretty high is my assumption.
_________________
"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treece300e


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 440
Location: Nampa, ID
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:
I like Ogletree, but I think after his 4 game suspension to start the 2012 season for a failed drug test, topped with the DUI, I doubt he'll see a Texan uniform. Sometimes being a team that prefers drafting straight-laced players can hinder the overall talent, but it's worse to blow an early draft pick on someone that is suspended for immature rule violations.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8956303/report-alec-ogletree-former-georgia-bulldogs-linebacker-arrested-dui


Couldn't disagree more. Character is not some isolated separate measurable like bench press or vertical jump. It is conjoined with every single aspect of a player's game starting with eligibility to play (suspensions), practice, work ethic, and conditioning thru game day decision making. If this moron who already damaged one team and his own draft stock with previous substance issues makes a decision like driving drunk the week before the combine how are you supposed to trust his decision making in the heat of battle, better yet in the week before an important game or in offseason's left to his own de-vices.

I don't have the energy to yet again update the list of teams burned by early round character-risks but the list is substantial and ramifications are felt for years as the investment in top picks often precludes cutting them when teams know they should so the hole keeps being dug. Drug and alcohol addiction is defined by self-absorbed behavior that even if the substance doesn't burn the team the self-seeking does and look no further than a team like the Jets who's proclivity for bringing in known substance abusers like Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Plaxico Burress continues to leave them exposed at WR year after year. The Bengals still bring in players with questionable character and known red flags, but at the very least they are now rolling the dice with devalued free agents or undrafted players like Burflict.

Sadly, at least guys like Cushing and Matthews focus on substances that they feel will improve their game while Maualuga devolved into a garden variety drunk likely to be looking for work this offseason at a deep discount. A guy like JJ Watt will take huge strides in his development, because he is driven to excel at his craft while guys like Ogletree just want to cash in on their "talent" and usually just pee it away on the trappings of fame and fortune while other less gifted players pass them on production, skills, and depth charts.

Awaiting the usual "who didn't get drunk & smoke in college" response...
(which would be valid if the average college student walked out of college into a $10 million job for which there are only about 40 positions available in the world (starting ILB). Sorry, any company that thinks the talent difference between Ogletree and whomever is next down the list is worth the risks of the red flags this guy brings deserves what they get. Hell, the Cowboys and Chiefs had players DIE in alcohol related incidents last season. I for one am happy the Texans understand that football talent isn't worth having one of your employees kill innocent people or themselves.


It's unbelievable how you disregard the second part of that statement, and only attack the beginning. Not every single player that got in trouble in college is troubled at the pro level. And you can't deny that Alec Ogletree is more talented on the field than any other ILB in this draft class. I was referring specifically to talent, as you clearly must have recognized by bolding it, and you have no valid argument in your entire tirade that denies the talent of Ogletree, but merely point out that many teams have been burned by ignoring the cautionary signs of a player's mental capacity.

Following my statement that you criticized in your diatribe, I said "but it's worse to blow an early draft pick on someone that is suspended for immature rule violations", which fits perfectly into your argument. So I will interpret your post as "I totally agree", and I agree with every point you made, aside from your first sentence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5593
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:
I like Ogletree, but I think after his 4 game suspension to start the 2012 season for a failed drug test, topped with the DUI, I doubt he'll see a Texan uniform. Sometimes being a team that prefers drafting straight-laced players can hinder the overall talent, but it's worse to blow an early draft pick on someone that is suspended for immature rule violations.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8956303/report-alec-ogletree-former-georgia-bulldogs-linebacker-arrested-dui


Couldn't disagree more. Character is not some isolated separate measurable like bench press or vertical jump. It is conjoined with every single aspect of a player's game starting with eligibility to play (suspensions), practice, work ethic, and conditioning thru game day decision making. If this moron who already damaged one team and his own draft stock with previous substance issues makes a decision like driving drunk the week before the combine how are you supposed to trust his decision making in the heat of battle, better yet in the week before an important game or in offseason's left to his own de-vices.

I don't have the energy to yet again update the list of teams burned by early round character-risks but the list is substantial and ramifications are felt for years as the investment in top picks often precludes cutting them when teams know they should so the hole keeps being dug. Drug and alcohol addiction is defined by self-absorbed behavior that even if the substance doesn't burn the team the self-seeking does and look no further than a team like the Jets who's proclivity for bringing in known substance abusers like Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Plaxico Burress continues to leave them exposed at WR year after year. The Bengals still bring in players with questionable character and known red flags, but at the very least they are now rolling the dice with devalued free agents or undrafted players like Burflict.

Sadly, at least guys like Cushing and Matthews focus on substances that they feel will improve their game while Maualuga devolved into a garden variety drunk likely to be looking for work this offseason at a deep discount. A guy like JJ Watt will take huge strides in his development, because he is driven to excel at his craft while guys like Ogletree just want to cash in on their "talent" and usually just pee it away on the trappings of fame and fortune while other less gifted players pass them on production, skills, and depth charts.

Awaiting the usual "who didn't get drunk & smoke in college" response...
(which would be valid if the average college student walked out of college into a $10 million job for which there are only about 40 positions available in the world (starting ILB). Sorry, any company that thinks the talent difference between Ogletree and whomever is next down the list is worth the risks of the red flags this guy brings deserves what they get. Hell, the Cowboys and Chiefs had players DIE in alcohol related incidents last season. I for one am happy the Texans understand that football talent isn't worth having one of your employees kill innocent people or themselves.


It's unbelievable how you disregard the second part of that statement, and only attack the beginning. Not every single player that got in trouble in college is troubled at the pro level. And you can't deny that Alec Ogletree is more talented on the field than any other ILB in this draft class. I was referring specifically to talent, as you clearly must have recognized by bolding it, and you have no valid argument in your entire tirade that denies the talent of Ogletree, but merely point out that many teams have been burned by ignoring the cautionary signs of a player's mental capacity.

Following my statement that you criticized in your diatribe, I said "but it's worse to blow an early draft pick on someone that is suspended for immature rule violations", which fits perfectly into your argument. So I will interpret your post as "I totally agree", and I agree with every point you made, aside from your first sentence.


Settle down Beavis. Yes, you properly qualified your statement and my "diatribe" was not aimed at you, but rather the mentality that somehow passing over players with character issues "hinders" your ability to build a talented roster. Yes, sometimes it means watching teams get production out of guys like Janoris Jenkins or Jimmy Smith for a few years, but I would wager that on balance drafting players with documented college arrests or failed drug tests yields a terrible return on investment for the teams that draft them since so many repeat the same offenses as pro's, fail to develop anything beyond their raw talent, miss tons of games due to suspensions or injury, and ultimately either get cut due to their negative impact in the locker room, toxicity in the community, or simply being too unreliable of an investment for a 2nd contract.

Nobody was more critical than me of the Texans for settling for a less talented "reach" on Duane Brown in 2008 rather than finally fixing CB and taking Aqib Talib or Mike Jenkins (who had both been arrested in college). The pick looked even worse the first few seasons as Brown struggled and Talib and Jenkins excelled early, but ultimately D. Brown has become one of the best LTs in football and the Cowboys and Bucs both had to spend top 10 picks last year again fixing their terrible secondaries with no impact from Talib or Jenkins other than to their salary caps.

Those Raiders sure draft a lot of "talent," and Ogletree sure would be a great replacement for Rolando McClain, but for all of his "top 10 talent", ultimately McClain proved to be a terrible teammate, made terrible on field decisions, was uncoachable, was disinterested in pass coverage, and of course has been arrested multiple times and likely dumped this offseason for nothing as he was passed on the depth chart by a 4th round rookie last year (who most certainly had less raw talent than McClain, but was still a better football player).

Anyone else wish we had paid more attention to Amobi Okoye's college dope smoking and taken Patrick Willis, Darell Revis, or Leon Hall instead? Again, passing over "talent" over character concerns doesn't mean you have a less talented roster when viewed over the long haul and I'd offer that it means quite the opposite.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5593
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus Young was sitting there for us at #42 in 2011, but we took a high motor, high IQ, high leadership character guy in tweener Brooks Reed instead. The Lions took Titus Young at #44 to pair with Megatron laughing at all the people who thought him beating up one of his teammates at Boise State and being suspended most of his sophomore season might be a harbinger of things to come. In just his 2nd season, Young sucker punched Louis Delmas, get suspended for conduct detrimental, then intentionally lined up wrong to screw over his receivers coach and his team. The Lions had to cut him with no comp, the Rams took a look for 10 days then said "no way" and he's likely to join the ranks of our camp project last year, Dwight Jones as a talented "sandwich artist" and not a football player. Meanwhile Brooks Reed helped the Texans withstand the loss of Mario Williams his rookie year and Brian Cushing last year. Yep, sure wish we would stop sacrificing "talent" for this character thing...
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treece300e


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 440
Location: Nampa, ID
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Titus Young was sitting there for us at #42 in 2011, but we took a high motor, high IQ, high leadership character guy in tweener Brooks Reed instead. The Lions took Titus Young at #44 to pair with Megatron laughing at all the people who thought him beating up one of his teammates at Boise State and being suspended most of his sophomore season might be a harbinger of things to come. In just his 2nd season, Young sucker punched Louis Delmas, get suspended for conduct detrimental, then intentionally lined up wrong to screw over his receivers coach and his team. The Lions had to cut him with no comp, the Rams took a look for 10 days then said "no way" and he's likely to join the ranks of our camp project last year, Dwight Jones as a talented "sandwich artist" and not a football player. Meanwhile Brooks Reed helped the Texans withstand the loss of Mario Williams his rookie year and Brian Cushing last year. Yep, sure wish we would stop sacrificing "talent" for this character thing...


You're right, Apollo. You always are. *bow* Return to your throne, before someone is beheaded for arguing with the "King of all that is right".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4779
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancakes was on 610 yesterday morning on my drive back to Nac. He said that the FO is down playing the comp picks we may receive. Supposedly their thinking is we only get a 4th for Mario and as little as a 6th for Dreesen, Brisel and Allen. Since no one knows the formula used it's all guessing, but I sure hope we get more than that.
_________________

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jch1911


Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 3699
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Pancakes was on 610 yesterday morning on my drive back to Nac. He said that the FO is down playing the comp picks we may receive. Supposedly their thinking is we only get a 4th for Mario and as little as a 6th for Dreesen, Brisel and Allen. Since no one knows the formula used it's all guessing, but I sure hope we get more than that.


If we don't get a 3rd, 5th, and a 6th, Rick Smith needs to climb into Bob McNair's truck, drive himself & McNair to NYC, and proceed to kick Roger Goodell in his $30M a$$ Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5593
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Titus Young was sitting there for us at #42 in 2011, but we took a high motor, high IQ, high leadership character guy in tweener Brooks Reed instead. The Lions took Titus Young at #44 to pair with Megatron laughing at all the people who thought him beating up one of his teammates at Boise State and being suspended most of his sophomore season might be a harbinger of things to come. In just his 2nd season, Young sucker punched Louis Delmas, get suspended for conduct detrimental, then intentionally lined up wrong to screw over his receivers coach and his team. The Lions had to cut him with no comp, the Rams took a look for 10 days then said "no way" and he's likely to join the ranks of our camp project last year, Dwight Jones as a talented "sandwich artist" and not a football player. Meanwhile Brooks Reed helped the Texans withstand the loss of Mario Williams his rookie year and Brian Cushing last year. Yep, sure wish we would stop sacrificing "talent" for this character thing...


You're right, Apollo. You always are. *bow* Return to your throne, before someone is beheaded for arguing with the "King of all that is right".


I appreciate the sentiment, but you are short-selling me a bit. Apollo is a God, not a King, and I already hold dominion over light and the sun, truth and prophecy, healing and plague, music and words, so I think "all that is right" is covered in there somewhere.

Seriously, though, don't take my rants personally as I rarely even pay attention to the posters name (aside from occasionally trolling kenney for sport) when the topic provides a launching point for a topic I've been burning on (like people who separate character from talent). I freely admit taking a snippet of a post and going off on a tangent but more often than not I'm not referring to a specific poster's take, but rather a more global sentiment in the forum or sports media. I find qualifying responses with all the obligatory pc crap like "I know there are exceptions like x, y, & z..." or the usual rhythm of posts that is 75% preamble that is the equivalent of naming all your ethnic or gay friends and how you don't have a problem with them, "BUT" followed by how the poster really feels which generally contradicts all the qualifying statements. This is a relatively anonymous forum, so I prefer to just say what I feel without all the sugar coating required in my real life. My posts are long enough anyway without having to worry about hurting everyone's feelings.

I do offer a humble clarifying post like this about once a year, just to cover my bases with any of the new folks who wonder who this colossal a-hole is. While I am quite confident in my sports acumen, particularly on the business side of things, I most certainly DO NOT know it all and learn from poster's here all the time. I am as big a Texans fan as anyone else here, but I also have extraordinarily high standards drawn from my experience as a baseball Cardinal fan since birth and my heartfelt desire to see the Texans embody for my kids what the Cardinals have been for me - an organization that wins the right way, doesn't insult the intelligence of its loyal fan base, and one that brings pride to it's hometown, not shame. As a football fan, I've been on the other side far too often having rooted for 3 teams that disrespected their fanbases to such an extent that they each relocated (football Cardinals, LA Rams, Oilers).

I was intimately involved in the Rockets 94 & 95 championship runs and know what Houston fans are capable of when properly engaged, but I've also watched as NBA became unwatchable to many in my demographic in the late 90's. I was also intimately involved with the Astros for a time and watched as they undercut themselves by destroying a minor league system poised for a decade of success to where they find themselves today which is an embarrassment. I was probably most stung by the way things went down with the Oilers but also grew to reject the media and fans groveling at the feet of the inferior product the Texans put out for the first 7-8 years.

I'm well traveled for a guy in my early 40s and have worked in NY / LA and the 4 bigs in Texas but also in quite a few smaller areas including the college markets that are now my focus. I am certainly no prude, and did nearly everything back in the day, but have been thru an extended period of recovery in my life and have little patience for those who ignore obvious warning signs or enable those who do. PEDs are a particularly sore subject for me as it seems like the angles thru which I see their damage morph nearly every year including the sad arc of the entire cycling saga.

So there it is. A rare bit of offseason insight into what makes Apollo tick. I truly appreciate the diversion posting here provides from a highly stressful life I lead and engaging in some intellectually stimulating conversation I used to have over hours in sports bars, but I can assure you that this is a much kinder and gentler version than the one with a dozen drinks in me. I'm certainly guilty of barking a bit, but it's healthier to get it out here about a benign topic like the Texans than heavier topics with staff, friends, or family. Sometimes I forget that some of you are young enough to be my kids and I'm sorry if I've ever made you feel bullied or belittled, but I can assure you that a battle tested belief will be stronger whether it's a simple sports take or matters of deeper importance.

Now go build temples in my honor or I shall target my wrath upon you much as I guided the arrow of Paris into the heel of Achilles (or was it Posey?)...
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mse326


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 16301
Location: mike23md on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Titus Young was sitting there for us at #42 in 2011, but we took a high motor, high IQ, high leadership character guy in tweener Brooks Reed instead. The Lions took Titus Young at #44 to pair with Megatron laughing at all the people who thought him beating up one of his teammates at Boise State and being suspended most of his sophomore season might be a harbinger of things to come. In just his 2nd season, Young sucker punched Louis Delmas, get suspended for conduct detrimental, then intentionally lined up wrong to screw over his receivers coach and his team. The Lions had to cut him with no comp, the Rams took a look for 10 days then said "no way" and he's likely to join the ranks of our camp project last year, Dwight Jones as a talented "sandwich artist" and not a football player. Meanwhile Brooks Reed helped the Texans withstand the loss of Mario Williams his rookie year and Brian Cushing last year. Yep, sure wish we would stop sacrificing "talent" for this character thing...


You're right, Apollo. You always are. *bow* Return to your throne, before someone is beheaded for arguing with the "King of all that is right".


I appreciate the sentiment, but you are short-selling me a bit. Apollo is a God, not a King, and I already hold dominion over light and the sun, truth and prophecy, healing and plague, music and words, so I think "all that is right" is covered in there somewhere.

Seriously, though, don't take my rants personally as I rarely even pay attention to the posters name (aside from occasionally trolling kenney for sport) when the topic provides a launching point for a topic I've been burning on (like people who separate character from talent). I freely admit taking a snippet of a post and going off on a tangent but more often than not I'm not referring to a specific poster's take, but rather a more global sentiment in the forum or sports media. I find qualifying responses with all the obligatory pc crap like "I know there are exceptions like x, y, & z..." or the usual rhythm of posts that is 75% preamble that is the equivalent of naming all your ethnic or gay friends and how you don't have a problem with them, "BUT" followed by how the poster really feels which generally contradicts all the qualifying statements. This is a relatively anonymous forum, so I prefer to just say what I feel without all the sugar coating required in my real life. My posts are long enough anyway without having to worry about hurting everyone's feelings.

I do offer a humble clarifying post like this about once a year, just to cover my bases with any of the new folks who wonder who this colossal a-hole is. While I am quite confident in my sports acumen, particularly on the business side of things, I most certainly DO NOT know it all and learn from poster's here all the time. I am as big a Texans fan as anyone else here, but I also have extraordinarily high standards drawn from my experience as a baseball Cardinal fan since birth and my heartfelt desire to see the Texans embody for my kids what the Cardinals have been for me - an organization that wins the right way, doesn't insult the intelligence of its loyal fan base, and one that brings pride to it's hometown, not shame. As a football fan, I've been on the other side far too often having rooted for 3 teams that disrespected their fanbases to such an extent that they each relocated (football Cardinals, LA Rams, Oilers).

I was intimately involved in the Rockets 94 & 95 championship runs and know what Houston fans are capable of when properly engaged, but I've also watched as NBA became unwatchable to many in my demographic in the late 90's. I was also intimately involved with the Astros for a time and watched as they undercut themselves by destroying a minor league system poised for a decade of success to where they find themselves today which is an embarrassment. I was probably most stung by the way things went down with the Oilers but also grew to reject the media and fans groveling at the feet of the inferior product the Texans put out for the first 7-8 years.

I'm well traveled for a guy in my early 40s and have worked in NY / LA and the 4 bigs in Texas but also in quite a few smaller areas including the college markets that are now my focus. I am certainly no prude, and did nearly everything back in the day, but have been thru an extended period of recovery in my life and have little patience for those who ignore obvious warning signs or enable those who do. PEDs are a particularly sore subject for me as it seems like the angles thru which I see their damage morph nearly every year including the sad arc of the entire cycling saga.

So there it is. A rare bit of offseason insight into what makes Apollo tick. I truly appreciate the diversion posting here provides from a highly stressful life I lead and engaging in some intellectually stimulating conversation I used to have over hours in sports bars, but I can assure you that this is a much kinder and gentler version than the one with a dozen drinks in me. I'm certainly guilty of barking a bit, but it's healthier to get it out here about a benign topic like the Texans than heavier topics with staff, friends, or family. Sometimes I forget that some of you are young enough to be my kids and I'm sorry if I've ever made you feel bullied or belittled, but I can assure you that a battle tested belief will be stronger whether it's a simple sports take or matters of deeper importance.

Now go build temples in my honor or I shall target my wrath upon you much as I guided the arrow of Paris into the heel of Achilles (or was it Posey?)...


False.

First, a simple look at my Avy should dispell the rumor that you are "God."
Second, "all that is right" surely requires wisdom. That is Athena's domain. I serve with Athena. I know Athena. Athena is a friend of mine. Apollo, you're no Athena.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5593
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
False.

First, a simple look at my Avy should dispell the rumor that you are "God."
Second, "all that is right" surely requires wisdom. That is Athena's domain. I serve with Athena. I know Athena. Athena is a friend of mine. Apollo, you're no Athena.


Perfect. I always kinda thought of you as my nuisance younger sister that occasionally has to step in before I kill off some trifling half human like Hercules or snake like kenney. I let you get the glory from time to time, but I'm usually still pulling the strings from afar (kinda like Joan Cusack getting the occasional good line in a John Cusack movie).

BTW - Daddy always loved me most. Now go back to your room and do your math homework or knit a quilt because goodness knows, you've been a virgin for eternity for a reason...
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 35 of 63

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group