Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Take this with a whole shaker of salt, but according to 790's interview with a Bleacher Report guy who was at the Senior Bowl, rumor around Mobile believed the Texans plan to move Reed inside full-time.

I'm willing to bet this draft is going to be heavy offense if this is true.

EDIT: The "guy" is Matt Miller, formerly of NFL Draft Scout.

I screamed for him and Braham to be inside backers......why can't I be DC?
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to this, OLB becomes a HUGE NEED
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
To add to this, OLB becomes a HUGE NEED

I wouldnt say HUGE need unless we let Barwin walk. But even if we let him walk, on passing downs it'll still be Reed, JJ, Antonio, Barwin/Mercilus as our 4 down linemen with Cush and hopefully GQ at LB. There's alot of if's in there ha. But I could also see the front office making this a 1st round need, since there's more value in picking an OLB than a 2 down ILB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this it true we are now very thin at LB period. So that opens the door to OLB again and maybe still ILB... I like the move gives us alot of flexability in the draft.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
mse326

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said in a later tweet that they will only move him inside if we re-sign Barwin.

So a third OLB would be a need, but nothing to be too worried about.

I was asking for this as soon as Cushing went down. And frankly this could change a lot in terms of secondary because both Cush and Reed are capable of covering TEs. That leaves Quin to be able to stay back lessening the amount of time the 3rd safety is on the field. We'd be a nickel more than dime like we were last year.

If this is the route we go then NT moves down from a 1st round need, because it would be more a 2-down position.

#JDI
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:

If this is the route we go then NT moves down from a 1st round need, because it would be more a 2-down position.

It has always been a two down position?

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

mse326

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
mse326 wrote:

It has always been a two down position?

Not necessarilly. Because more teams are going 3 WR even on running downs NT is something you may want on the field because a 4 man line with Smith and Watt in the middle will get gashed. That is what was happening to us all year. But since we didn't have a good NT it was still our best option.

The NT in our scheme isn't like a Pittsburgh NT. Ratliff stayed on the field because he could still rush the passer and defend the run. With the 3 WR sets that are becoming increasingly popular that is really the way that teams should be moving-a 2 down ILB with a full time NT.

But we aren't taking Reed or Cush off the field so we don't have a choice anymore.

#JDI
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking about this move months ago, it only makes sense to move Reed inside after re-signing Barwin so that we can keep all your best LB's on the field at once. Barwin at SOLB, Cushing at SILB, Reed at WILB, and Mercilus at WOLB. Now the only hole in our front 7 is at NT and that can be filled with Kawann Short in the 1st round.

I think we'll look for some depth at both ILB and OLB in the 3rd - 5th rounds.

I love this move if it happens.
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I was asking about this move months ago, it only makes sense to move Reed inside after re-signing Barwin so that we can keep all your best LB's on the field at once. Barwin at SOLB, Cushing at SILB, Reed at WILB, and Mercilus at WOLB. Now the only hole in our front 7 is at NT and that can be filled with Kawann Short in the 1st round.

I have already had my row with mse about how substantial our need for a nose is, but, supposing we do go for a nose in the 1st: why are you all so set on Short? Poor pad level, questionable hand-placement and technique, not always an effort player...

I would much rather we look at:
- Sharrif Floyd, Florida
- Jesse Williams, Alabama
- Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern

... to name a few guys who are better prospects than Short.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

I have already had my row with mse about how substantial our need for a nose is, but, supposing we do go for a nose in the 1st: why are you all so set on Short? Poor pad level, questionable hand-placement and technique, not always an effort player...

- Sharrif Floyd, Florida

I like Jessie Williams. Seems like a relentless player with a high revving motor, can occupy blockers to let other pass rushers get space to attack, but is quick to disengage and play laterally to string run plays wide.

Looks like many teams are viewing him as a 4-3 UT/NT, as well as a few looking at him as a 5-Tech. If he was there at 27, I would really have to weigh him out vs the need for WR, but I wouldn't scoff at the pick.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently folks around the league are expecting Houston to go QB in the 2nd to 4th rounds. Ugh.

This is a terrible QB draft and this FO ought to be ashamed that it didn't open up its QB search until the year AFTER the greatest QB draft since '83.

Who's psyched for the Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, or Zac Dysert-led Texans?!!?
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Apparently folks around the league are expecting Houston to go QB in the 2nd to 4th rounds. Ugh.

This is a terrible QB draft and this FO ought to be ashamed that it didn't open up its QB search until the year AFTER the greatest QB draft since '83.

Link?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

- Sharrif Floyd, Florida

I don't know much about B. Williams so I'll refrain from that. Though just looking at weight he seems to be a mammoth NT, which isn't what Wade looks for.

(also OT but see my above post on what I think this move does for the NT need)

Floyd isn't a NT even in a 1-gap. He's a 3-4 end
Williams is a 2-gap NT (which given how we would now use it isn't the worst thing). No pass rushing skills at all.

As for Short I agree with pad placement, but not hands. His hands are pretty solid. Has a good set of moves with them. Pad placement can easilly be tought. I haven't seen any effort issues, but have seen stamina issues. That is not as much an issue if he is a 2-down player and with an NFL S&C team. All reports (and my observation of the game) has Short rising in scouts eyes after the Senior Bowl. I hear he really tore up practices.

#JDI
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

EJ Manuel, please.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
kenney wrote:

EJ Manuel, please.

I'm on board with Manuel...

...but I highly doubt he's going in the 2nd round. He had the best Sr. Bowl of all the QBs at Mobile, and unless he goes and throws ducks and runs a Ryan Mallett-esque 5.37, his stock is only going to get higher. We all knew he was a very competent athlete and was primed to have a good combine, the questions lied with his on-field performances against other players - and with that game he had, those questions were answered quickly.

If he continues performing at this high of a rate in all post season workouts, he's the 3rd QB off the board and probably a mid 1st round pick. It might be a case where the 27th pick in the draft isn't enough; Guy is the fastest riser right now, and unless he massively slips, I don't see that changing.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 28 of 63

Jump to: