Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
After back to back division titles and playoff wins, going into next season is really a big deal. We are so close to being at the super bowl level. Without a doubt we are a top 4 team in the AFC, and we did destroy the AFC champs when it mattered least, so i dont think we are that far off

so here is my thought: We have plenty of picks and not a lot of holes.

Lets be real about a few things:

1. We aren't addressing RG or RT early in the draft. Kubiak seemed to love the way Newton progressed and the way that Jones stepped it up, not to mention we also have Brooks and Brandon Harris and who knows what is going to happen with Butler this off season. We took linemen with our 3rd, 4th and 6th round picks last season

2. We wont go QB until round 6 at the latest. Kubiak and Smith both seem to love Schuab and like Yates and i suspect they enjoy the company of Case, so unless someone drops to round 5 i dont see us addressing this need either

3. We probably dont address WR or Corner in the first 3 rounds. Personally i would look at WR in round 1, but i dont see us doing this. I think we will either sign a guy in FA or role with Johnson, Walter, Jean and Martin for the most part. Who knows when Posey will be back. Same thing in the secondary, we have tons of young guys like McCain, Harris and Carmichael as well as Ball and Routt and our starters are locked

So looking at those things, trying to be objective and think about what will happen, not what i want to happen, ive come to this conclusion:

COULD THIS BE THE YEAR WE MAKE A BIG TRADE TO GRAB A TOP TALENT?

Personally i think our down fall this season was our ILB inability to cover backs and tight ends in the passing game. Cushing will be back and we have a solid 3rd ILB in Sharpton (plus james and dobbins), but i would love to see us jump up and grab a Manti* Teo!

As much as I would love to trade up, you said it yourself on being objective. We've NEVER traded up in the 1st round. Also if we were to trade up it would have to be for a play maker. Now IMHO Te'o isn't a play maker but more of a Luke Kuechly lite. A guy who makes alot of tackles but doesn't make plays(yes I know he had a ton of picks this year but I think it was more or luck or a flash in the pan).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
After back to back division titles and playoff wins, going into next season is really a big deal. We are so close to being at the super bowl level. Without a doubt we are a top 4 team in the AFC, and we did destroy the AFC champs when it mattered least, so i dont think we are that far off

so here is my thought: We have plenty of picks and not a lot of holes.

Lets be real about a few things:

1. We aren't addressing RG or RT early in the draft. Kubiak seemed to love the way Newton progressed and the way that Jones stepped it up, not to mention we also have Brooks and Brandon Harris and who knows what is going to happen with Butler this off season. We took linemen with our 3rd, 4th and 6th round picks last season

2. We wont go QB until round 6 at the latest. Kubiak and Smith both seem to love Schuab and like Yates and i suspect they enjoy the company of Case, so unless someone drops to round 5 i dont see us addressing this need either

3. We probably dont address WR or Corner in the first 3 rounds. Personally i would look at WR in round 1, but i dont see us doing this. I think we will either sign a guy in FA or role with Johnson, Walter, Jean and Martin for the most part. Who knows when Posey will be back. Same thing in the secondary, we have tons of young guys like McCain, Harris and Carmichael as well as Ball and Routt and our starters are locked

So looking at those things, trying to be objective and think about what will happen, not what i want to happen, ive come to this conclusion:

COULD THIS BE THE YEAR WE MAKE A BIG TRADE TO GRAB A TOP TALENT?

Personally i think our down fall this season was our ILB inability to cover backs and tight ends in the passing game. Cushing will be back and we have a solid 3rd ILB in Sharpton (plus james and dobbins), but i would love to see us jump up and grab a Manti* Teo!

As much as I would love to trade up, you said it yourself on being objective. We've NEVER traded up in the 1st round. Also if we were to trade up it would have to be for a play maker. Now IMHO Te'o isn't a play maker but more of a Luke Kuechly lite. A guy who makes alot of tackles but doesn't make plays(yes I know he had a ton of picks this year but I think it was more or luck or a flash in the pan).

I've got to agree here. I wouldn't mind a trade up for a real playmaker, probably a WR, but surely not for Teo. I don't even see him as the best ILB, and ILB isn't the type of position you trade up for. I'd only trade up for a QB, WR, shutdown CB, game changing DT, or stud pass rushing OLB.
biggio7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the draft class to trade up in. I feel like the Texans have more needs than just one guy. There really is no one stellar high profile player in this class. They are all pretty even it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
This is not the draft class to trade up in. I feel like the Texans have more needs than just one guy. There really is no one stellar high profile player in this class. They are all pretty even it seems.

I've been saying this all along, yes there's some above avg talent who could turn into pro bowlers within the top 10-15 range, but after that the talent drop off from 15-around 80 or even 100 are very slim. I think it would behoove us to either trade out of the first to pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd or 4th then trade our 3rd and 4th to trade up into earlier in the 3rd round. Giving us 2 2nd's 3 3rd's which would give us 5 of the top 100 prospects.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
biggio7 wrote:

I've been saying this all along, yes there's some above avg talent who could turn into pro bowlers within the top 10-15 range, but after that the talent drop off from 15-around 80 or even 100 are very slim. I think it would behoove us to either trade out of the first to pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd or 4th then trade our 3rd and 4th to trade up into earlier in the 3rd round. Giving us 2 2nd's 3 3rd's which would give us 5 of the top 100 prospects.

Way too early for this type of assessment but I think all trading down would do is ensure we end up with another mediocre project at WR instead of one that can actually impact year one and excel in year two. I also think it's too soon to evaluate depth of talent since right now evaluations are based strictly upon college performance and basic size/speed projections which I personally value more than other items like post season games, combine, pro-day, character interviews etc but we can't pretend that those aren't factors. If you follow any historical trendline from January - April you will find as much as a 33% churn in first rounders and there will be at least 5 players rapidly ascend draft boards, some completely out of nowhere.

The beautiful part is that reactionary trends always play a part just like the past two years where QBs have skyrocketed by draft day (4 in the top 12 in 2011 plus Dalton/Kaepernick at top of 2nd, 3 top 8 last year plus Weedon rising from 3rd rounder to #22). By my count 7 of the top 9 teams have Qb needs (Stafford and Weedon as the exceptions) and I am all for these teams knowing that they are going to have to reach in the first vs. wait for the 2nd which is where I think the top end of this class really belongs (I don't see anyone as good as Weedon from last year or Dalton in 2011). This will push quality talent down the board. I also think a few RBs will elevate to the 1st round post combine and I think as many as 6 WRs go in the 1st as everyone realizes that multiple threats are needed even if you have a stud #1 (mark it down - the Pats will take Ryan Swope at #29 and cut Welker loose). Nobody is projecting any TEs in the 1st right now, but I'd be shocked not to see Eifert and Ertz elevate.

Don't forget the entire board changes once trades and free agency happens as well and I'm hoping Wallace, Bowe, Jennings go to teams between 10-26 which will allow stronger WR talent to fall to us. Tackle is also a position of great flux as there is both great free agent talent and top end draft talent after a few soft years. I think this will conspire to leave us with great options in the 3rd for another RT candidate or they may prioritize RG (if they are still delusional about Newton). I have a strange feeling that Barrett Jones will get a strong look in the 1st especially with his ability to play either right side position and backup Myers (the brother angle will make him a popular mock draft target anyway).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
biggio7 wrote:

Way too early for this type of assessment but I think all trading down would do is ensure we end up with another mediocre project at WR instead of one that can actually impact year one and excel in year two. I also think it's too soon to evaluate depth of talent since right now evaluations are based strictly upon college performance and basic size/speed projections which I personally value more than other items like post season games, combine, pro-day, character interviews etc but we can't pretend that those aren't factors. If you follow any historical trendline from January - April you will find as much as a 33% churn in first rounders and there will be at least 5 players rapidly ascend draft boards, some completely out of nowhere.

The beautiful part is that reactionary trends always play a part just like the past two years where QBs have skyrocketed by draft day (4 in the top 12 in 2011 plus Dalton/Kaepernick at top of 2nd, 3 top 8 last year plus Weedon rising from 3rd rounder to #22). By my count 7 of the top 9 teams have Qb needs (Stafford and Weedon as the exceptions) and I am all for these teams knowing that they are going to have to reach in the first vs. wait for the 2nd which is where I think the top end of this class really belongs (I don't see anyone as good as Weedon from last year or Dalton in 2011). This will push quality talent down the board. I also think a few RBs will elevate to the 1st round post combine and I think as many as 6 WRs go in the 1st as everyone realizes that multiple threats are needed even if you have a stud #1 (mark it down - the Pats will take Ryan Swope at #29 and cut Welker loose). Nobody is projecting any TEs in the 1st right now, but I'd be shocked not to see Eifert and Ertz elevate.

Don't forget the entire board changes once trades and free agency happens as well and I'm hoping Wallace, Bowe, Jennings go to teams between 10-26 which will allow stronger WR talent to fall to us. Tackle is also a position of great flux as there is both great free agent talent and top end draft talent after a few soft years. I think this will conspire to leave us with great options in the 3rd for another RT candidate or they may prioritize RG (if they are still delusional about Newton). I have a strange feeling that Barrett Jones will get a strong look in the 1st especially with his ability to play either right side position and backup Myers (the brother angle will make him a popular mock draft target anyway).

Which is part of the reason we got Mercilus last year.

I'm beginning to think we let Barwin leave because we won't offer as much as another team. That being said where do yall think OLB falls in the Texans eyes? They obviously don't see Brahman as a legit option because we would of never brought in Mercilus last year even with Mario leaving.

I'd see it as a Day 2 need.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Which is part of the reason we got Mercilus last year.

I'm beginning to think we let Barwin leave because we won't offer as much as another team. That being said where do yall think OLB falls in the Texans eyes? They obviously don't see Brahman as a legit option because we would of never brought in Mercilus last year even with Mario leaving.

I'd see it as a Day 2 need.

I honestly think we moved on Mercilius because he was the BPA at the time, and a percieved need was there, if in case we didn't retain Barwin after this season. Letting Barwin walk was a verboten topic last year, but there were many of us who felt as if it was a distinct possibility if he followed up the 2011 season with another equally good season. Had he replicated that sort of season, he played himself out of our price range and onto another team, which is what the Texans were protecting themselves from.

The opposite took place - Barwin played himself close to off the team in 2012. Now, we're in the driver seat, and can dictate the price...but we still have the same out if some team gets crazy and throws him money based on potential (Jets, Browns, Cardinals?) Either way, Mercy was brought in to protect ourselves from him leaving, and it gives us additional leverage in contract discussions. If Barwin balks at the contract we give him, he's more than welcome to test the market, and we wish him the best.

We have two young, and relatively cheap starters in Mercilius and Brooks Reed, but given that Wade Phillips has a desire to rotate three guys at the two roles, day 2 makes the most sense - End of the 3rd (unless a top level talent falls into the 2nd round). Our first and second shoud be utilized to bolster the offense, and the two thirds should be used to find a NT as well as the "next man up/6th man" OLB our DC wants. If that top level talent falls, we need to mortgage a bit of the 2014 draft class, send a 2nd round pick in 2014 along with our existing 3rd round pick to get back into the 2nd round and select said top level talent.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine what Teo could do if we got him a real girl friend Very Happy

if Teo runs in the 4.6s and shows that he can guard TEs and RBs, he would be a huge improvement....we cant win a superbowl when Glover Quin leads the team in tackles

but having said all that i wouldnt trade our whole draft to get him, but i would strongly consider a 1st and 3rd to jump up and get him

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

if Teo runs in the 4.6s and shows that he can guard TEs and RBs, he would be a huge improvement....we cant win a superbowl when Glover Quin leads the team in tackles

but having said all that i wouldnt trade our whole draft to get him, but i would strongly consider a 1st and 3rd to jump up and get him

I wouldn't touch Teo in this draft, let someone else take him so that other quality talent falls our way. Teo is either an idiot or a huge liar, and I want neither on our team. If you want a 1st round ILB take Alec Ogletree from Georgia.

This might not be the popular line of thinking but if I'm Rick Smith, I'm looking hard at Jesse Williams-NT or Kawann Short-NT in the 1st round because Cody is a FA and needs replacement and a better NT would lessen the need at ILB. With all the expected comp. picks I'd trade our 3rd and 5th plus Ben Tate for a high 2nd and take Alec Ogletree or some other 1st round talent that falls to the upper 2nd round that's at a position of need, maybe a 1st round WR that fell to us, Justin Hunter, Cordarelle Patterson, Terrance Williams, Deandre Hopkins, Robert Woods. Then with our own 2nd round pick select some high quality O-line talent like Oday Aboushi, Jonathan Cooper, Dallas Thomas, etc... With our comp. 3rd I'd take Ricky Wagner-OT from Wisconsin. That would give us 4 picks in the top 100, and fill 4 holes in the team with high quality talent. We can then use our 4th, all the comp. picks, and 7th on adding depth at CB, TE, P, ILB, etc...
kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:

I wouldn't touch Teo in this draft, let someone else take him so that other quality talent falls our way. Teo is either an idiot or a huge liar, and I want neither on our team. If you want a 1st round ILB take Alec Ogletree from Georgia.

This might not be the popular line of thinking but if I'm Rick Smith, I'm looking hard at Jesse Williams-NT or Kawann Short-NT in the 1st round because Cody is a FA and needs replacement and a better NT would lessen the need at ILB. With all the expected comp. picks I'd trade our 3rd and 5th plus Ben Tate for a high 2nd and take Alec Ogletree or some other 1st round talent that falls to the upper 2nd round that's at a position of need, maybe a 1st round WR that fell to us, Justin Hunter, Cordarelle Patterson, Terrance Williams, Deandre Hopkins, Robert Woods. Then with our own 2nd round pick select some high quality O-line talent like Oday Aboushi, Jonathan Cooper, Dallas Thomas, etc... With our comp. 3rd I'd take Ricky Wagner-OT from Wisconsin. That would give us 4 picks in the top 100, and fill 4 holes in the team with high quality talent. We can then use our 4th, all the comp. picks, and 7th on adding depth at CB, TE, P, ILB, etc...

I could not agree with you more, here is my take on the 2013 draft

1. Teo is good but there is no way that Rick Smith or Kubiak wants the Media circus that comes along with him at least not in the first round

2. This is defiantly not the draft class to trade up in the first round, like you said there are going to be a lot of 2nd round QB's that will go in the 1st and some good DT's will fall to 27

3. Shaun Cody is not coming back next year we need a better NT, Kawann Short and Jesse Williams are that ones that I would think we draft unless for some reason John Jenkins or someone else better falls to 27

4. and we need and ILB i think we should trade up to get another 2nd round pick and go after Minter or Ogletree is he falls that far [ However I dont think that Ben Tate should be traded for anything this season]

Roughly speaking I would be happy with this Draft:

1st round [27] and 2nd [35-45]
DT Short, Williams or Jenkins
ILB Minter, Ogletree

2nd [57], 3rd [89]
WR, OT

3rd [95] comp pick RB
dsorc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely against NT in the 1st as there is no way that is true 3 down position. I know defenders of that stance will point out Ratliff in Dallas but that team had crap at DE. Ratliff would play the role of our DEs on nickle while both their OLBs would come down to play 4-3 DE. Drafting a NT in round 1 means either grabbing a 2-down player or forcing Brooks Reed to be a stand-up nickle LBer with more coverage responsibilities than pass rushing responsibilities.

It makes more sense to replace Cody in FA with guys like Sammy Lee Hill, Terrance Knighton, Alan Branch, or Roy Miller. I think given McNair's recent comments that WR is the most likely #1 pick. A quality FA WR would be much more expensive than most other positions and probably out of our price range.

I'm thinking along the lines of:
1. WR Terrance Williams
2. LB Khaseem Greene or Gerald Hodges (ILB that can cover a TE for once)
3. OT Wagner, Nixon, or Long
3. DB (Ideally a CB that can compete for the nickel spot. Though a 3rd S would not be bad either and use Quin in the slot instead of Harris)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidnextdoor wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

I could not agree with you more, here is my take on the 2013 draft

1. Teo is good but there is no way that Rick Smith or Kubiak wants the Media circus that comes along with him at least not in the first round

2. This is defiantly not the draft class to trade up in the first round, like you said there are going to be a lot of 2nd round QB's that will go in the 1st and some good DT's will fall to 27

3. Shaun Cody is not coming back next year we need a better NT, Kawann Short and Jesse Williams are that ones that I would think we draft unless for some reason John Jenkins or someone else better falls to 27

4. and we need and ILB i think we should trade up to get another 2nd round pick and go after Minter or Ogletree is he falls that far [ However I dont think that Ben Tate should be traded for anything this season]

Roughly speaking I would be happy with this Draft:

1st round [27] and 2nd [35-45]
DT Short, Williams or Jenkins
ILB Minter, Ogletree

2nd [57], 3rd [89]
WR, OT

3rd [95] comp pick RB

First off, welcome to Texans Nation!

The honeymoons over, i'm confused on to how you got the 2nd 2nd rounder? Above you said you'd trad our 3rd and 5th plus Tate for an high 2nd, but you still have us with both 3rd's?

dsorc wrote:
I am completely against NT in the 1st as there is no way that is true 3 down position. I know defenders of that stance will point out Ratliff in Dallas but that team had crap at DE. Ratliff would play the role of our DEs on nickle while both their OLBs would come down to play 4-3 DE. Drafting a NT in round 1 means either grabbing a 2-down player or forcing Brooks Reed to be a stand-up nickle LBer with more coverage responsibilities than pass rushing responsibilities.

It makes more sense to replace Cody in FA with guys like Sammy Lee Hill, Terrance Knighton, Alan Branch, or Roy Miller. I think given McNair's recent comments that WR is the most likely #1 pick. A quality FA WR would be much more expensive than most other positions and probably out of our price range.

I'm thinking along the lines of:
1. WR Terrance Williams
2. LB Khaseem Greene or Gerald Hodges (ILB that can cover a TE for once)
3. OT Wagner, Nixon, or Long
3. DB (Ideally a CB that can compete for the nickel spot. Though a 3rd S would not be bad either and use Quin in the slot instead of Harris)

I would almost love this draft. I would love it if we had picked up a FA NT. which you're implying.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick random mock I did:

1st- Kevin Minter, ILB
2nd- Marcus Wheaton, WR
3rd- Ricky Wagner, OT
3rd(comp)- David Amerson, CB/S
4th- Brandon Williams, DT
5th- Kenjon Barner or Theo Reddick, RB
6th- Joe Kruger, DE
6th(comp)- Lonnie Pryor, FB
6th(comp)- Levine Toilolo or Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE
6th(comp)- Cooper Taylor, S
7th- Kenny Tate, LB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
Quick random mock I did:

1st- Kevin Minter, ILB
2nd- Marcus Wheaton, WR
3rd- Ricky Wagner, OT
3rd(comp)- David Amerson, CB/S
4th- Brandon Williams, DT
5th- Kenjon Barner or Theo Reddick, RB
6th- Joe Kruger, DE
6th(comp)- Lonnie Pryor, FB
6th(comp)- Levine Toilolo or Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE
6th(comp)- Cooper Taylor, S
7th- Kenny Tate, LB

Pretty solid, but I don't know that Amerson falls that far. I think he's a late 2nd early 3rd prospect at the end of the day. But if he's there with our 3rd round comp pick, I'd jump all over that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

i could stand to take Ogletree as well, and i see all the points about Teo, but i seriously doubt this girlfriend thing is even an issue by the time the draft roles around. Its slow in the NFL and College football right now, but once the combine and free agency and stuff hits they will die down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 26 of 63

Jump to: