Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Kiper released his Mock 1.0 and has us selecting Keenan Allen WR from Cal.

I would love the pick

Me too. Allen has nice athleticism and would be a nice target for Schaub in the passing game. If he fell to us I would be ecstatic.

As of right now this is my big board as to who we should pick. (Realistic shots at the prospect)

1. WR Keenan Allen
2. WR Terrence Williams
3. WR Justin Hunter
4. ILB Kevin Minter
5. WR DeAndre Hopkins
6. SS Matt Elam

RT is a bigger need than WR, and I see the Texans addressing the WR issue in FA rather than the draft. Would love to get Minter or Elam as I think middle of defense needs to be fixed.

If you're going to say RT is a bigger need I would like an explanation as to how and especially how over WR?

Yes some of yall might think Newton sucks, but I doubt the coaching staff does. He was a 7th round pick from a FCS school, that's like a 2A OL high school recruit going to Bama and you want him to excel right away, that's not gonna happen. Last year he got redshirted and got on a real strength and condition plan, this year he got eased into playing and he clearly got better. No, he's not Eric winston, but he cost a 10th of Winstons salary and in the salary cap era you take his production for the piece were paying him. Next years the key, he should get the full time gig and If he continues to develop he'll become and above avg NFL starter.

I think - at the very least - RT is a 2nd/3rd day priority. Forget Derek Newton's up and down season; This has moreso to do with the cap, and how much money you choose to allocate to RTs. The ONLY reason Eric Winston isn't a Texan anymore is because of money, plain and simple. Winston was making LT money on his deal...so going with atop 64 pick and placing yourself to make such an investment yet again on RT is pretty redundant at this stage.

Now, I will say - this will either be a late 2nd day or early 3rd day selection. No more waiting for the end of the 6th to pick up a Newton, or a Nick Mondeck type player. Ryan Harris and Rashard Butler are both on the market, and even if you could have them at NFL vet minimum, that would be steeply overpaying for both players.

I've been tooting his horn since I read about him, but Ricky Wagner makes complete sense. Unless his draft stock were to skyrocket on a belief that he could play LT (think how Branden Albert in 2009 went from a mid day G/RT prospect to the #1 OL prospect on a hunch he could play LT) Wagner should be right there when we make the 33rd pick of the 3rd round. That comp pick we have is house money we're playing with, might as well use it to get that platoon guy who will be working with Newton next season.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Would love to come away with

Cordarelle Patterson WR
Jesse Williams NT
Andrew Jackson ILB

I would cry with joy

Looks like you wont be crying tears of joy this year, Jackson tweeted on the 14th (last day to declare) that he's returning for his Sr. year.

ugh son of a beach.........that stinks Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I would love the pick

Me too. Allen has nice athleticism and would be a nice target for Schaub in the passing game. If he fell to us I would be ecstatic.

As of right now this is my big board as to who we should pick. (Realistic shots at the prospect)

1. WR Keenan Allen
2. WR Terrence Williams
3. WR Justin Hunter
4. ILB Kevin Minter
5. WR DeAndre Hopkins
6. SS Matt Elam

RT is a bigger need than WR, and I see the Texans addressing the WR issue in FA rather than the draft. Would love to get Minter or Elam as I think middle of defense needs to be fixed.

If you're going to say RT is a bigger need I would like an explanation as to how and especially how over WR?

Yes some of yall might think Newton sucks, but I doubt the coaching staff does. He was a 7th round pick from a FCS school, that's like a 2A OL high school recruit going to Bama and you want him to excel right away, that's not gonna happen. Last year he got redshirted and got on a real strength and condition plan, this year he got eased into playing and he clearly got better. No, he's not Eric winston, but he cost a 10th of Winstons salary and in the salary cap era you take his production for the piece were paying him. Next years the key, he should get the full time gig and If he continues to develop he'll become and above avg NFL starter.

In Kubiaks offense everything revolves around play action passes, but if you can't run the ball the offense is stagnant. (Ex. Last 6 games of the year). That is why RT is more of a priority than WR, because it doesn't matter if the Texans had Bowe and AJ at receiver if they can't run the ball the offense will be stagnant.

Also since we drafted 2 young receivers last year I see Kubs finding a FA to bring in this off season. I feel that we are going to let Barwin walk in the off season since this is the 1st year teams have to reach the cap minimum, and someone is going to overpay for him.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I would love the pick

1. WR Keenan Allen
2. WR Terrence Williams
3. WR Justin Hunter
4. ILB Kevin Minter
5. WR DeAndre Hopkins
6. SS Matt Elam

In 2011 Eric Winston gave up 7 penalties for 54 yds. and 7.5 sacks as a 6 yr. veteran in 16 games.
In 2012 Derek Newton gave up 7 penalites for 41 yds. and 4 sacks as a 1st year starter, 2nd year in the league, in 14 games.
I know this only tells part of the story, but as a 1st yr. starter coming from a small school program he was already better than a 6 yr. vet. who been in this system for several years statistically speaking. Again I know stats don't tell the whole story, but Newton's not bad and I think the Texans like him.

By comparison:
In 2008 Duane Brown gave up 4 penalties for 23 yds. and 11.5 sacks in his 1st yr. as a starter in 16 games when he was rotating with Salam at LT.
In 2012 Duane Brown gave up 5 penalties for 28 yds. and 6 sacks as a 5th yr. vet. in 16 games.

Again I know stats don't tell the whole story and they're different players in different positions. But I agree with Lumberjackchris, I think the Texans like Newton and your going to be disappointed if your looking for an OT in the early rounds of the draft. JMO.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I would love the pick

1. WR Keenan Allen
2. WR Terrence Williams
3. WR Justin Hunter
4. ILB Kevin Minter
5. WR DeAndre Hopkins
6. SS Matt Elam

In 2011 Eric Winston gave up 7 penalties for 54 yds. and 7.5 sacks as a 6 yr. veteran in 16 games.
In 2012 Derek Newton gave up 7 penalites for 41 yds. and 4 sacks as a 1st year starter, 2nd year in the league, in 14 games.
I know this only tells part of the story, but as a 1st yr. starter coming from a small school program he was already better than a 6 yr. vet. who been in this system for several years statistically speaking. Again I know stats don't tell the whole story, but Newton's not bad and I think the Texans like him.

By comparison:
In 2008 Duane Brown gave up 4 penalties for 23 yds. and 11.5 sacks in his 1st yr. as a starter in 16 games when he was rotating with Salam at LT.
In 2012 Duane Brown gave up 5 penalties for 28 yds. and 6 sacks as a 5th yr. vet. in 16 games.

Again I know stats don't tell the whole story and they're different players in different positions. But I agree with Lumberjackchris, I think the Texans like Newton and your going to be disappointed if your looking for an OT in the early rounds of the draft. JMO.

Those stats also do not reflect the difference between their run blocking, which was Winston's strength. I think Newton might be fine, but I'd like to draft another RT as insurance.

Sig by matthouston91
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I would love the pick

1. WR Keenan Allen
2. WR Terrence Williams
3. WR Justin Hunter
4. ILB Kevin Minter
5. WR DeAndre Hopkins
6. SS Matt Elam

By comparison:

Those stats also do not reflect the difference between their run blocking, which was Winston's strength. I think Newton might be fine, but I'd like to draft another RT as insurance.

For sure will draft 1, just not early. But like ET has mentioned you can almost bet the house on the Texans drafting Wagner with either 3rd round picks if he's there.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I would love the pick

1. WR Keenan Allen
2. WR Terrence Williams
3. WR Justin Hunter
4. ILB Kevin Minter
5. WR DeAndre Hopkins
6. SS Matt Elam

By comparison:

For sure will draft 1, just not early. But like ET has mentioned you can almost bet the house on the Texans drafting Wagner with either 3rd round picks if he's there.

Agreed. I think the Texans will take an OT, just not early in the draft. Derek Newton isn't bad and has development potential. I've got Ricky Wagner in the 3rd round of my latest mock. I just hope the Texans don't try to over think their picks on draft day, trying to wait an extra round to get more value in their picks. If the guy you like is their, take him.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me.. D.J. Fluker would be ideal but he'll probably be a 2nd. Wagner's good, but if he's gone Chris Faulk, Kyle Long are also good fits.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
To me.. D.J. Fluker would be ideal but he'll probably be a 2nd. Wagner's good, but if he's gone Chris Faulk, Kyle Long are also good fits.

I want no part of Fluker who struggled in pass protection against western kentucky. He's also too big for the zone scheme so Kubiak would treat him like he did Brooks this year and hold him back until he lost the weight. To me, Fluker is a RG in a power scheme.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
PAtexansFAN99 wrote:

I want no part of Fluker who struggled in pass protection against western kentucky. He's also too big for the zone scheme so Kubiak would treat him like he did Brooks this year and hold him back until he lost the weight. To me, Fluker is a RG in a power scheme.

He gets downfield pretty quick and he's a great run blocker. We'll see how he shows up to the combine and whatever else.. I think he's worth a look. We've got to win at the LOS on both sides of the ball if we're gna beat the pats!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping he would play like crap today in the Shrine Game, but - of course- he plays like a BEAST:

OLB / DE Devin Taylor (SCar)

Since Bob McNair is a SCar alum, I think we scout them pretty closely. I was waiting to see Taylor at the Combine where I expected him to blow it up. Seems that he couldn't wait and he is DOMINATING the Shrine Game. Sad

So my hope that we nab in the 5th round seems to be gone. That's the bad news. The good news is that he looks like a playmaker at DE or possibly even OLB.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your eyes on Mike James from the U. He would look amazing in our system and would make Tate expandable.....I like this guy and he will come late in the draft or even UDFA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Keep your eyes on Mike James from the U. He would look amazing in our system and would make Tate expandable.....I like this guy and he will come late in the draft or even UDFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7FDZmGvXzQ

I agree.. And if he surpassed Tate on the depth chart early then we'd be able to keep Tate as a #3.. and there's no way he can get injured down there lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
starting to gain interest in this draft and my early favorite on ILB for our team is AJ Klein

This is looking even better and better. A great showing at the shrine game helped his stock. He would be a good mid round selection, maybe with a comp pick if still around. I hope he shows up big at the combine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked him as well, the other guy i was interested in was Steve Greer from Virginia how did he do??
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 24 of 63

Jump to: